/2.

Be Mine Instead

Yein has never felt so lifeless. Ever since that afternoon with Jungkook, he didnt speak to her. His curtains were drawn, not letting her take a peek. He never went out of his house. She so badly wanted to apologize but she couldnt because she was being ignored. She didn’t even know if he’ll forgive her.

   It’s not like she meant what happened. She wanted to tell Jungkook but she didn’t know how. She just enjoyed his company while it lasted. The scrapbook wasn’t owned by her, it was owned by another girl—maybe, the girl who lived in their house before them. Jungkook’s pictures were there and his pictures with her, all smiling and happy.

   The first time she saw the scrapbook, she knew she had to throw it away but Jungkook’s photos looked precious and so Yein decided to keep it. That would also help keep it in mind that she and Jungkook can’t be together because there’s another girl. He looked so happy with her. He was smiling so much. They looked so sweet. She often wondered where the girl was . . . but Yein guessed that the reason why she would often see Jungkook in front of his computer was that maybe, he was talking to his girlfriend. That she went overseas and they’re in a long distance relationship.

   It always hurts. Looking at Jungkook’s photos, that is. And nobody knew about that. But when she finally saw him that fateful afternoon at the park, she knew she had to grab the chance. At least be his friend, that’s enough. That would be enough. She promised she wouldn’t cross the line of completely falling in love with him but it was too late.

   The moment Jungkook walked out on her room, she realized that she did fall in love. It wasn’t in her plans to fall because she knew she couldn’t stand a chance but she did. His girlfriend was pretty and actually acts like a girl. She doesn’t. She’s messy and boyish, practically the total opposite of the girl Jungkook loves. So Yein settled for less, as Jungkook’s friend. At least, it was better than nothing.

   “Yein, you’ve locked yourself in your room for four days already!” Yein’s mom said, knocking on her door. The girl quickly wiped her tears away. She’s been crying too much and she hated it. She didn’t like being weak.

   “Not literally!” She answered, making her voice as cheerful as possible. “I still go down to eat and I still go to school!”

   “You know what I mean!” Yein’s mom answered, “The Valentine Night is tonight at eight. Are you coming with us?”

   “I don’t have a date, mom.” Yein rolled her teary eyes. She actually thought of asking Jungkook out, that day in her room when he started talking about it, but since there’s been a turn of events . . .

   “How about Jungkookie?” Her mom asked. She’s fond of the boy.

   “H-He said he’s not coming!” Yein lied. She doesn’t even know if he will or not.

   “Okay but you can’t just stay in there forever!”

   “Look, fine. I’ll go at the Valentine Night! But I’ll be very late, okay?”

   “That sounds fine. Dress up nicely!”

   “Yes, mom!”

   And then she heard her footsteps walking away from her door.

   Well, maybe a change of environment would be nice. It’s not like she’ll see Jungkook anyway.

&

The Valentine Night started at eight in the evening but Yein went at the village’s covered court, where it is to be held, half past ten. The event will end at twelve thirty, on Valentine’s Day itself. She just thought she’d drop by to see what’s making the event special.

   There was a buffet of food, of course, and the dance floor and booths—kissing booth, marriage booth, photo booth, jail booth. And there are a few playing cupid officers, taking random people and cuffing them together for who knows how long. Aside from that, there were couples everywhere and Yein thought it was a bad idea to attend.

   And how stupid was she for wearing something blue when everybody else was wearing either black, white, or any shades of red.

   Well, since she’s done checking the place out, better to leave and just stay in the comforts of her bed. But before she can reach the exit, someone grabbed her hand and she was pulled on the jail booth.

   “I found my target!” The cupid officer said.

   “Um, I’m sorry but I have to get home.” Yein said.

   “You have to bail out if you want to be freed,” The cupid officer sing-songed.

   “Hey, what the fu—I’m not a part of this event, I was just passing by!”

   Yein turned to the voice’s direction, their eyes connecting, before looking away. Her heart pounded and she felt drying. Jeon Jungkook was there, wearing a suit without a tie. The girl checked herself: she was wearing a light blue flowy blouse; black, high waist shorts; and black, simple wedges. Her hair was curled at the ends.

 

   “Passing by yet you’re dressed,” The cupid officer who got him chuckled. “Alright, let’s cuff them up.”

   “Aish,” Jungkook was annoyed. “How much do I have to pay so I can bail out?”

   Yein felt a pinch on her heart. Did he really want to stay away from her that badly?

   “Uh,” The two cupid officers looked at each other. “Two thousand won for the both of you.”

   Jungkook slammed a five thousand won bill on the table before walking away quietly, stuffing his hands on his pockets.

   Yein watched his retreating back before gulping down her tears. She quickly bowed at the cupid officers before running away from the venue. She couldn’t breathe. She needed air. So she went to the park’s playground and stayed there, also afraid that she might bump into Jungkook if she went home right away.

   Sitting down on the swing, she clutched on her chest as she tried so hard to stop her tears from falling. No, Yein. Stay strong. She chanted but her heart hurt so much, she thought she might have cardiac arrest and no money would be able to bail her out. It’s okay, it’s okay, it’s okay. She tried to convince herself.

&

Jungkook once again found himself standing in front of Yein’s house. It was already thirty minutes before twelve midnight and he thought maybe Yein had already gone home after their encounter earlier. Actually, he didn’t expect to see Yein at the court. It was true when he said he was just passing by. His parents forced him to dress up and attend the Valentine Night with them so just to make them stop forcing him, he obliged. After walking around the court once—literally—, he decided to leave but a stupid cupid officer got him and dragged him to the jail booth. That’s where he saw Yein.

   He had practiced over and over again what he was gonna say if he ever saw her but the moment their eyes met, he forgot everything he rehearsed and got annoyed at himself, letting it out at the officers. Then he walked out and went home. Part of him expected for Yein to chase after him but the other half of him didn’t because the first time he walked out, she didn’t follow so why would she now?

   After collecting and calming himself down, he decided to talk to her. This time, he’ll approach her first. He grabbed the damned scrapbook and stepped out of his house and now, he’s in front of Yein’s house. He rang the doorbell then Yein’s mom answered the door.

   “Omo, Jungkookie!”

   Jungkook smiled a bit. “Good evening, Mrs. Jung. I’m sorry to disturb but is Yein inside?”

   “Oh, Yein isn’t home yet.” Yein’s mom said. “Maybe, she’s still at the court. Can you fetch her for me? It’s getting really late.”

   Jungkook nodded. “Okay, Mrs. Jung, thanks.” He was about to leave when the mom called him again. He faced her.

   “Yein . . . I know she’s been really down lately, locking herself up in the room and all. I don’t know what happened to her and she’s not telling me anything but can you please help make her feel better?” She asked. “You’re the only friend she has in this neighborhood, Jungkook. I can count on you, right?”

   Jungkook bit his bottom lip and nodded. “Yes, Mrs. Jung. Don’t worry.”

   Yein’s mom smiled and when she closed the door, Jungkook sprinted towards the court. He looked around for her but he couldn’t find her so he went to the jail booth to ask.

   “Have you seen the girl you were about to cuff me with?” He asked.

   “Ah, no. She left after you did.” The cupid officer who got Yein earlier answered.

   “You forgot your change, by the way.” The other cupid officer said but he was already sprinting away.

   Where the hell is she then? At this kind of time? Jungkook thought to himself as he jogged around the neighborhood. He then thought about the park and headed there. He was right; under the dimming lampost, Yein was there alone, seated on the swing. He in a breath and after releasing it, he quietly approached her.

   “Yein,”

   The girl looked up and when she saw Jungkook, she immediately stood but she didn’t say anything.

   He can tell that she’s been crying and he hated himself, knowing that he was the cause. Jungkook stepped closer to her and she looked down, afraid that he’ll see how ridiculous she looked right now. She heaved a deep breath.

   “Yein, I—”

   “Please . . . ” Yein said, interrupting Jungkook. Her voice was a whisper but the latter heard her clearly. He didn’t talk. The girl thought about it and if they had to break their friendship after this, it was okay for her. She’ll just accept it. It’s better off that way. “Just hear me out for awhile,” she kept her voice in whispers.

   Jungkook just nodded even though she couldn’t see it.

   “I’m sorry . . . I really wanted to tell you about the scrapbook but I was scared I’d lose you for keeping something important like that.” Yein started. “It’s your memories with your girlfriend but I couldn’t bring myself to throw it away or give it back to you. It may sound very creepy but silly me wanted it to myself. First, because it has your photos in it. And second, because it would keep me reminded that I can only be just your friend.

   I figured out that the reason you didn’t want to go to my house was because it used to be your girlfriend’s house so I didn’t push it anymore. I was surprised when you visited me one day so I wasn’t able to hide the scrapbook . . . ” She gathered up her courage to look at Jungkook this time. “I’m so sorry if I upset you and got you angry at me. And I’m sorry because lastly, Jeon Jungkook, this may sound so gay but I-I fell in love with you . . . ” Her voice cracked. “I didn’t mean to really, I—”

   Yein was not able to finish her sentence because Jungkook had stridden down towards her, grabbing her by the neck and dipping down to kiss her lips. The girl widened her eyes, not knowing what to do. They stayed still like that for awhile before Jungkook pulled away.

   “Stupid,” he smiled and Yein felt her face burn. “The girl on that scrapbook is my ex-girlfriend. We’re over years ago. Christ, she ing cheated on me.” He laughed but it was a humorous one as if the memory itself was funny, a joke.

   “I-I don’t understand . . . If she’s your ex-girlfriend then why did you walk out on me like that?” Yein furrowed her eyebrows.

   “Because I was pissed off at her. She did this on purpose,” Jungkook raised the scrapbook for Yein to see. “To leave it in your house. Maybe, she thought I’d go chase her and get her back if I found this, that . I know how she plays. I just . . . ” He sighed. “I just didn’t want to let it out on you. Look, Yein, I’ve thought a lot about this, okay? And I was wrong to have treated you like that, I know I owed you an explanation for acting like an but I was so ashamed that I couldn’t bring myself to face you.

   I used to stay away from girls after my ex-girlfriend happened. I hated them in general but that was before you came. The first time I saw you on your skateboard, I knew you were different. And I would always watch you from my window on your way home.”

   Yein chuckled between her tears, “No wonder I often feel like someone’s watching me.”

   Jungkook chuckled as well, wiping her cheek with his thumb. “Someone handsome?” He recalled. Yein just scoffed, telling him to “shut up” but he continued. “I’m sorry too for leaving you earlier like that. I was just surprised to see you, I thought it wasn’t your ‘thing’, then I got mad at myself since my mind blanked out and lost everything I wanted to say because . . . because you looked beautiful.”

   “J-Jungkook, quit being cheesy!” Yein looked away then mumbled. “And God, you have quite a temper. I was there because my parents kept nagging me. I’m surprised you were there too!”

   “I know. I think I need anger management,” Jungkook joked as he made Yein face him again, resting the hand that was on her neck to her cheek. “And like you, my parents forced me too. But what I’m trying to say is that . . . I love you too, Yein. I was gonna ask you out for Valentine Night when I went to your house but then . . . Yeah.”

   “Sorry, I guess I ruined it.” Yein lightly giggled. “But you ruined it too! I was going to ask you as well, tch.”

   Jungkook laughed and hugged her tightly. “I’m so sorry for what happened, still. I love you.”

   “It’s okay . . . ” Yein whispered, placing her chin over his shoulder as she hugged him back. “We’re so gay . . . but I love you too.”

   “Yeah,” Jungkook murmured then they faced each other, smiling widely.

   Yein looked at her wristwatch and said, “So be my Valentine then? It’s a few minutes before twelve.” She then looked up at the boy but her lips met his again, causing her to blush madly.

   “Be mine instead,” Jungkook grinned playfully after pulling away to face her.

   “O-Okay,” Yein said breathlessly before snapping out of it. “Stop stealing kisses from me, you ert!”

&

Before Jungkook and Yein went home, they burned the scrapbook his ex-girlfriend made and tossed it on the park’s artificial pond. He received a punch on the arm from Yein, telling him he was littering but he just laughed it off.


PLAYLIST:
   Jung Yein – Why Don’t You Love Me by Hot Chelle Rae feat. Demi Lovato
   Jeon Jungkook – Say You’re Just A Friend by Austin Mahone feat. Flo Rida