/1.

Be Mine Instead

Jeon Jungkook is never fond of girls. He even tries to stay away from them as much as possible, everybody knew that. So he was quite surprised when he found himself befriending their new neighbor’s daughter, Jung Yein. At first, the thought of it made him cringe because he doesn’t like girls; they’re a pain in the , too troublesome . . . maybe too demanding, even. And then they leave, period.

   But when he saw her the first time, skateboarding her way down the pavement, he knew she was different. From his bedroom window, he watched her. She was wearing a black snapback, white t-shirt under her unbottoned red and black checkered polo shirt that reached until her thighs, and demin shorts. Beneath her white converse shoes was a black penny board, gliding along the street, while her long, light brownish hair swayed behind.

   Every afternoon after that day, he would watch her ride the penny board home from school. He figured she uses it as her mode of transportation. The uniform she wore was from a school located inside their village so he knew where she studied. He had the guts to keep watching her because he knew that from that angle, he’s not gonna be seen.

   But one Saturday, he decided to make himself known. It was kind of nerve wracking for Jungkook because it has been quite a long time since his last encounter with a girl, except for his mom, of course. He studied in an all-boys school and the aloof attitude towards girls was formed when his ex-girlfriend broke up with him some years ago. It was a hasty generalization, to perceive all the girls just as same as his ex, but he wanted to be safe than sorry.

   Heaving a deep breath, he went out to the side of the streets and dropped his skateboard on the pavement. As much as he’s not fond of girls, he's also not fond of going outdoors. He’d rather stay at home and play video games but Jungkook guessed it would be nice to have a change of environment once in awhile. So putting a foot over the board, he started his way down the street.

   He didn’t know where the girl went. He just saw her go out of her house a few minutes before he did. Jungkook didn’t want to seem creepy by going out the same time as her so he waited a while before stepping out as well. He decided to bring himself on the village park where it’s nicer to skate around and that’s where he found her. She was on the playground, sitting on the swings while eating ice cream. Her penny board was under feet.

   Jungkook felt like backing out. Even from a distance, he could feel she has a different aura. It was weird, his heart had started to pound. He was internally panicking and he needed something to drink. Thankfully, there was a vendo machine on the side of the park so he skated there. Fishing out some money, he inserted it inside the machine and pressed the button for a coke.

   When the can fell on the port, someone’s hand took it before he can even squat down. “Yah—” He looked at the thief and widened his eyes when he saw that it was the girl who was on the swings minutes ago.

   She grinned, her eyes turning into crescents, as she raised his can. “Cheers,” she said before opening it and chugging down the drink. She was just finishing her ice cream when she saw the newcomer by the vendo machine and thought she’d say hi. “You finally showed yourself, huh? I thought you were afraid of light. I’m Jung Yein,”

   “That was my drink,” Jungkook said, annoyance now visible on his features as he ignored what the girl had said. Yep, still the same—girls are a pain in the .

   Yein just shrugged and inserted herself between him and the vending machine, causing the boy to step back. She placed some money on the slot and pressed the same button he did. The can then fell on the port then she took it before giving it to Jungkook, “Here, you sass.” She chuckled.

   “Tch,” Jungkook scoffed but took the can anyway, mumbling. “Thanks.”

   “So what took you long to go out? I was waiting for you!” Yein said, leaning her side on the vending machine. “I didn’t know you’d be much more handsome up-close and personal!”

   Jungkook, who was in the process of opening his can of coke, froze. Has she actually seen him always watching her? Was he caught? And what is she saying about being “much more handsome up-close and personal”? He tried to find out. “Do you know me?”

   “Not really,” Yein answered. “I just know you live next door. I see you in your room whenever I reach home.”

   Jungkook cleared his throat. “What do you mean?”

   “I mean it as is!” Yein laughed. “But then I can only see your back most of the time since you’re facing your computer or something.”

   Jungkook tried to visualize. His table was on the corner and when he’s sitting down, he’s facing the wall and on his left is the window where he would watch Yein. If the wall is north, Yein’s house would be south west him thus just showing his back to her. He decided to turn the tables around, “Are you watching me?” He raised an eyebrow.

   Yein grinned, “Sometimes!”

   Wow, Jungkook thought. How bold can she get? “Hm,” he just hummed. Finally opening his can, he started to drink the cola.

   “So what did you say your name was?” Yein asked.

   For the first time since their encounter, Jungkook smiled. “Jungkook, Jeon Jungkook.”

&

Jungkook and Yein became good friends quickly, it was surprising for the former. Yein was a year younger than him and quite boyish. Sometimes, when they skate around the village, people would mistake them as siblings because of their similar features. Aside from skating, Yein would visit Jungkook in his house to play video games or just hang out in either his room or at the park.

   The girl was so fun and comfortable to be with. She didn’t pretend when she’s with him. Even when they eat together, they’d even compete who eats the messiest. Yein was just . . . natural. She was so different that Jungkook started to feel something else towards her. He tried to stop it but it just kept growing. Sometimes, he’d even catch himself staring at her when she’s not looking and the more he does, the more beautiful Yein gets.

   Now, Valentine’s Day is coming and their village, for the first time, was going to hold a Valentine Night. It was a surprise because they only held Christmas Party, New Year’s Gathering, Thanksgiving, Family Day, and Halloween annually. Maybe the village council thought a Valentine Night was worth a try; if it was warmly welcomed by the homeowners, they might include the event on their calendar from now on.

   “Why don’t you come to the event, son?” His mom inquired at dinner, a week before the said night. “Bring Yein with you.”

   “Mom, it’s a couples’ day.” Jungkook mumbled as he poked a pea from his plate. “Yein is just a friend.”

   “Are you sure she’s just a friend?” His dad teased, “You two have been hanging out in awhile now. I think Yein’s a cool kid too. Better than Sewon-ssi—”

   Jungkook’s mom cleared , “Jagiya.” She said with a warning voice.

   Both parents looked at Jungkook who remained silent then he pushed himself up.

   “I’m done with dinner,” he said then left without another word. Jungkook didn’t mean to be rude but it’s just that he really hates it when he hears his ex-girlfriend’s name. The cheat, he thought in disgust as he plopped down on his bed. She said he was boring so she looked for someone else while they were still together then when he found out that she was cheating, he was going to break it off when she beat him to it, breaking up with him first.

   He once asked Yein if he really was a boring person and she looked at him like he just grew two noses. “No? What the heck, Jungkook,” was her answer. She said he was fun to be with and that he’s cool. “Boring doesn’t exist when I’m with you, stupid.” She also added.

   The thought made him smile, temporarily forgetting the annoyance he felt when he remembered his ex-girlfriend. Maybe, he really should ask Yein to be his date for that Valentine Night. And maybe, also confess his growing feelings for her.

&

Okay, Jungkook. You can do this. The boy bounced on his heels as he stood in front of Yein’s house. It was the first time in a long time that he stepped on that very porch. The last time was when his ex-girlfriend opened the very door and another guy was hugging her from behind. She said he was her cousin; ing liar. That excuse has been overused already. Now, he can’t believe he’s there. But he just needed to keep in mind that it’s not his ex’s house anymore; it’s Yein’s.

   Releasing a deep breath, he pressed the button for the doorbell then a “hold on!” was heard inside. Not long after, the door opened, revealing Yein in her house clothes.

   She blinked then grinned. “Jungkook? What’s up?” She opened the door wider. “Come inside! How exciting, visiting me for the first time!”

   Jungkook rolled his eyes but stepped inside anyway. He looked around. The house felt familiar but foreign at the same time. The interior stayed the same but the paint and the furnitures were changed.

   “Do you want anything?” Yein asked, breaking him from his train of thoughts. “My parents aren’t here so I can only serve you something within my abilities.” She laughed. “We have brownies though!”

   “Sure,” Jungkook shrugged.

   “Follow me!” Yein said before disappearing into the kitchen. He didn’t have to follow her, he knew every room in this house.

   After snacks of brownies and milk, Yein toured him around the house then headed up to her room where they decided to hang out. Jungkook looked around. The walls that used to be pastel pink was now turned into sky blue and it looked way different than before, more spacious.

   “So how do you like our house?” Yein asked as she plopped down on her beanbag. “Nice, isn’t it? We had it painted and fixed!”

   “Meh,” Jungkook just shrugged to .

   “What ‘meh’?” Yein stuck her tongue out then she watched him walk around until he stopped by the window where he could see his room.

   “So this is where you spy on me,” he said.

   “Please, I can’t even see the rest of your room from here!” Yein defended. “And I can’t stay there for too long, I’m too lazy to stand up just to spy on you.” She did air quotations on the last three words.

   That was true. Yein’s bed and study table were far from the window. Actually, that spot didn’t have anything, just space. Before, that window was blocked by a big closet. Now, the Jung’s built the room its own closet.

   “So what brought you here, Jungkook?” Yein asked, “It’s quite unusual for you to come here with your own feet. I’d beg you to visit me before but you wouldn’t budge so . . . ”

   The boy continued to pace around. “Uh, what do you think about the Valentine Night that’s gonna be held this Saturday?”

   “The Valentine Night?” Yein raised her eyebrows. “Nothing, it’s just another event, I guess. It’s not like I’m going to go. It’s not my thing.”

   “Figured,” Jungkook mumbled. “But if someone were to ask you to be their date, what would you do?”

   “Are you joking me?” Yein gave him a weird look. “I practically know nobody from this neighborhood except you . . . and well, your parents. And Mr. Ahn from down the street.”

   Jungkook laughed, “Mr. Ahn? You mean Ahjussi Ahn?”

   “Yes?”

   “You think he’s gonna ask you to Valentine Night?”

   Yein took a pillow near her and threw it at Jungkook. “That’s not what I meant!”

   Jungkook caught the pillow before tossing it back to her, chuckling as he caught her sticking out a tongue at him. “I know, was just teasing you.” He grinned before browsing through Yein’s study table full of books, notes, and papers. “So what’s your answer?”

   “Then it depends on who’s going to ask me out, duh.” Yein answered. “Maybe, someone handsome had been watching me and is waiting for the right time to show himself!”

   “Hm, I see.” He’s gotta admit that she’s not referring to him now because ever since the day they met, he stopped watching her and they hung out instead. Something caught his eye underneath the pile of books so he pulled it out. “What’s this?” He asked.

   “What’s what?”

   He opened the hard cover of the scrapbook as he faced Yein, leaning his hip on the edge of the table. As far as he’s concerned, Yein’s not likely to make girly scrapbooks like this so it’s quite weird but interesting at the same time.

   “Wait, no! Jungkook, don’t open that!” Yein scrambled up from her beanbag, almost getting outbalanced. She tried to get the scrapbook from Jungkook but he held it up high for her not to reach.

   “Come on, Yein. What’s the secret?” Jungkook asked, attempting to peek inside the scrapbook despite the girl trying to cling on him like a koala.

   “Give me that, you!” She jumped on Jungkook, wrapping her legs around his waist and an arm around his neck, the other reaching up and trying to pull Jungkook’s arm down. “Jeon Jungkook!”

   “Christ, Yein! You’re heavy!” Jungkook groaned, his knees almost giving out from the added weight and they both fell on the girl’s bed, the scrapbook flying on the floor.

   “Ugh, you’re heavier—Jungkook!” Yein tried to push him away who was lying flat on top of her, dead weight. She was practically being squished in between him and the bed.

   The boy raised himself up, standing on fours, then he looked down at Yein. “For someone so skinny like you, your weight’s like a pig!” He commented.

   Yein pinched his waist. “Thank you for saying that to a girl! Jeez!”

   Jungkook flinched, taking her wrist and pinning it down beside her head as he rubbed his side with his other hand, balancing himself with one arm. “Since when were you a girl?” He chuckled.

   “Shut up.” Yein just rolled her eyes before gasping. “The scrapbook!” She exclaimed unintentionally then Jungkook started to look around for it. She attempted to roll on her tummy but his hand was still on her wrist. “Yah, Jeon Jungkook, let me go!” She tried pushing him away again but he didn’t budge.

   He just stayed quiet. He wasn’t looking at her but on something else on the floor. The girl paled as Jungkook’s hold on her wrist loosened before he completely let go, sitting up. Yein sat up as well, her lower body still stuck between Jungkook’s legs, before turning her head behind where he was staring.

   The scrapbook was open . . .

   And they can clearly see photos of Jungkook pasted on the pages.

   “Jungkook . . . ” Yein’s heart pounded in fear as he stood up and took the scrapbook off the floor. She tried to stop him but her attempts were weak. She then stayed seated on the edge of her bed, carefully watching the boy.

   “How . . . Why . . . ?” Jungkook couldn’t find the words to say. Every page he turned, it was his pictures. His pictures, his pictures and—

   Yein was about to explain but the boy already turned to look at her, his stare icy, making her flinch. “J-Jungkook . . . ” was all she was able to utter.

   He just shook his head and left, taking the scrapbook with him.