oo1.

For a Little While
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Clink.

How long has it been?

You swirled the melting ice cubes in your glass around until there was nothing but drops of whiskey mixed with water. Before you could even call out, the bartender slid a new glass to you, filled half way with the caramel toxin, two fairly large ice cubes like icebergs touching the bottom of the glass.

You sipped it slowly.

This was why you loved coming to bars. No one ever asked. And on the off ocassion that someone did ask, if you said “ off,” they wouldn’t ask you twice. So this was the case, you’d been sitting on your in the same place at the bar for the past hour now. No one said anything; the bartender just kept on passing over the drinks.

It’d been a couple of weeks since your nasty breakup, but still–coming here beat being alone in your apartment. Seeing as the past year or so was taken up by memories of your former lover, it was hard to be in that room without seeing the ghosts dancing about the floor.

You lifted the glass to your lips slowly. The alcohol hit your nose first, then your lips, and then suddenly, it was dribbling down your cheek.

Someone had knocked your elbow, and it took a second or two for you to realize it.

“Sorry.” He mumbled.

Platinum blond and looking emotional as hell, the man who sat down next to you seemed to be completely unaware that there were maybe five other empty seats, all of them nowhere near you.

He ran his fingers through his hair, but stopped halfway through, letting his fingertips massage his roots as if he had a headache. He stayed like that for a while, not speaking, ignoring the bartender. It seemed to you like he’s had a pretty bad day.

As the ice in your glass clinked again to show it was in need of a refill, you raised two fingers to the man behind the bar. He nodded, then placed two full glasses in front of you.

Picking up one glass with one hand, you held out the other to the seemingly depressed stranger beside you.

He continued to ignore his surroundings. You sighed, waving the brown elixir in front of his nose to which he showed no reaction. “You’re going to have to drink something eventually.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter