Chapter 10

Parking Problems

The sun was cascading through the thin fabric of your curtains. The distant song of a bird chiming through the cracked window. It was such a beautiful day outside... and there you were sprawled on your stomach across the bed. Shaking out a finger cramp from the never ending scrolling of this lazy Tuesday.

“What is happening to the world?” You muttered as you quickly scrolled past a meme that would make your mother cry.

The door swung open, bouncing off the wall with a quiet bang, and in trudged an exhausted Jae.

“Hard day?” You asked the boy shuffling towards you.

“Mhmm.” Was the only answer you got before he flopped down onto mattress, crushing you under a warm mess of long arms and legs.

“You mind?!” You said as you did your best to slide out from underneath him. Jae shifted slightly off your back to press closely to your side. When you attempted to pull further away a hand s around your waist to pull you closer until he had you flush against the front of his body. Tucked into his chest you felt your cheeks warm at the intimacy of your position. Your face was hidden from his eyes, burrowed in his shirt. He had a hand rubbing circles on your back, the other arm under your head like a pillow.

“Practice was rough today. I need you to baby me.” His voice was gravelly and you could feel the vibrations in his chest against your cheek.

Shifting slightly you adjusted to put less weight on his arm and nodded. With your agreement his hold on you loosened and a content sigh blew against your hair as he adjusted himself to prime snuggling position.

Krystal's words rang out in your mind as Jae hooked a leg around your ankle. Tangling his legs in yours. He was so comfortable with you now. And you were happy about that but part of you wondered if the two of you weren't getting too wrapped up in the happy fog of a new relationship without considering the impending sadness hanging over the two of you like a storm. It was going to be so hard to say goodbye. You felt your eyes prickle and burrowed into the soft fabric of his shirt. The salty liquid leaving dark spots on the grey material.

Jae’s even breathing paused before he cleared his throat apprehensively. “Uh Y/N…? Are you...drooling on me? Because I have a thing about drool-” his words died out in his throat as he pulled away and saw the tears smeared across your face. His face froze as he tried to process the situation, quickly shifting from confusion to horror.

“Did I hurt you when I was on top of you?! Are you okay? I'm so sorry I was just playing! We don't have to cuddle! I'm such an idiot. A huge gangly idiot.” His hands fluttered over your limbs; checking for any sign of injury.

You smacked his hands away lightly, chuckling at his horrified face. “I’m fine.” His face made the switch back to confusion as he settled back down on the mattress. He was propped up on an elbow watching you get readjusted back onto your pillows when you continued, voice quivering only slightly. “I’m just really going to miss you when you leave.”

He didn’t say anything for a moment. As you dabbed at the tears with your sleeve you peeked in his direction. His lips were thin and his eyes carried a tumultuous sea of emotions. For a few seconds he just watched you, eyes scanning over your features. Then he cracked a sad grin.

“Yeah. I mean I’ve been trying not to think about that but go ahead and bring up the sad stuff while I’m trying to relax. By all means.”

You cut your eyes at the smirking man. A gesture he returned with a theatrical huff. “Selfish.”

“Oh okay. Lemme just get up then and let you relax.” Your voice edged with a quiet threat as you started to get up off the bed.

“You know I'm kidding!” He blurt out as he clutched at your shirt, trying to pull you back to him and his seemingly ever present grin.

Once you'd both gotten comfortable again you were lying on the mattress, facing each other. His hand in yours as you mindlessly fiddled with his long fingers. His other hand playing with your hair softly. Neither of you had spoken for a while. Too busy simply enjoying the other’s presence.

Jae broke the silence first. His voice scratchy and rough. “I'm going to miss you too.”

You didn't respond for fear of crying again. You just listened.

“A lot.”

You started twirling your pointer fingers around his thumb to distract yourself from the tingling behind your eyes.

“I wish we didn't live so far apart… We could always try the long distance thing?”

As much as it you shook your head. “Those never work for me. They just end up delaying the end until we hate each other. You can't date anyways, Jae.”

“That's true. So, what do we do?” There was a pause now. One heavy with hesitation. “Are we just gonna… break up?”

“I think that's really the only way this could go, Jae. You can't date there. We only get to do this because you're on the other side of the planet. And I live here. My family is here.”

Jae rested his chin on your head. Pulling you into his chest again.

“Yeah. I understand. I’ll miss you though.”

Doing your best to lighten the mood you decided to a little. “So uhhh… after you leave...that mean we’re free agents right?”

Jae slid his chin off your head to glare at you through narrowed eyes. “Uhm...excuse me?”

“Well, I just mean that when you leave and we are technically broken up that means we’re free to date other people, right?”

Jae suddenly flung his arms and legs around you tightly and squeezed. “Never. You can never love again after I leave. I want you to be alone forever like a nun.” He started nuzzling his head into the crook of your neck, sprinkling kisses along your collarbone causing you to giggle and twist. A particularly violent spasm sent one of your arms flailing. Smacking Jae on the side of his head. “Truce! Truce! Always with the violence!!”

Laughter bounced off the walls; cleansing the air that had been thick with sadness. After the two of you took a moment to compose yourselves, Jae grabbed your fingers again. Slightly somber now. “Nah. As cheesy as this sounds I just want you to be happy…”

You smiled at him and squeezed his fingers. He nodded once before giving your nose a light peck. “After an appropriate grieving period of course.”

“Grieving period?! And how long would you consider an appropriate grieving period?”

Jae looked pensive for a moment. “...two years? Three?... I'll get back to you.”

“Oh god.”

“Hey, this is totally fair. I'm going to be held to the same rules. Fair play.”

“You better.”

He chuckled at your pouting and rolled onto his back. Watching the ceiling fan go around and around. “Hey, Y/N. You wanna go on another date? Like a real one where I plan something besides watching a movie on the living room couch?”

A loud snort was your initial response. “Yeah okay. Sounds good.”

“Yeah? Okay! Tomorrow! The snort did irreversible damage to my confidence and I'll never forgive you but it's a date.”