Chapter 9

Parking Problems

“Do it again. I dare you. I’ll bite it off.” The threat was clearly directed at you but his eyes were still on the television. It’s been 45 minutes since he had thrown down his hilariously immense stack of cards and stormed away from the table.

You poked his cheek again. “Jae~” You snatched your hand away from the loud clack of his teeth closing just centimeters away from your finger. Deciding for a safer route you tugged softly on the sleeve of his thin sweater. “Jae, it was just a game… and I warned you my revenge was coming and that it was going to be petty.”

He scoffed and turned his head even further away from you; staring out the window on the far wall of the living room. Your eyes slid from his face to the exposed skin of his neck and you felt a sinister grin tugging at your lips. Quickly looking out the front windows you saw that Krystal’s car was still gone. She had left for a grocery run and Michael had insisted on coming along, much to Krystal’s dismay. You had some time.

Deciding to test the waters first, you ran your fingers down his forearm to his hand. Grabbing and lifting it with one hand you drug your nails across the back of his hand lightly. Back and forth, with just enough pressure so he could feel it; not enough for it to hurt at all. Like a tickle. Sneaking a glance at the pouting man you saw that he was watching you out of the corners of his eyes. He must have noticed you were looking at him because he turned his head back towards the window with a huff. Exposing even more of his long neck.

Mistake.

Leaning into his side you pressed your lips to the skin above the collar of the dark blue sweater and immediately felt his body stiffen. Smiling against him you kissed just above the spot you started with. You felt him swallow under your lips. He started muttering quietly. “This is definitely cheating… I call bull on this whole damn operation.”

You continued trailing kisses up the side of his neck slowly. Still holding his hand in your lap.

“Some kind of evil con-woman… dirty tricks…”

His mumblings were getting less coherent the higher up his neck you got. Now you were just below his ear. Smiling to yourself you pressed your lips to the spot behind his earlobe, against the base of his ear, and closed your eyes. Letting your mouth linger there as Jae let out a deep breath.

You felt the smooth warmth against your lips pull away then but was quickly replaced as Jae leaned in and kissed you. His entire body was shifted to face you and you felt him guiding you back. Following his lead you felt the soft cushions of the couch underneath your shoulders. Never breaking the kiss Jae followed you back, soon leaning over you, supporting himself with one arm. He kept his body hanging above yours, careful of where he was touching you. You raised your hands to hold his sides. His mouth moved against yours as his free hand slid up to the side of your face. He ran his thumb back and forth behind your ear before sliding it into your hair to cradle your head. Jae kissed the left corner of your lips before trailing his lips down the side of your face, much like you had, chastising you quietly between kisses. “Some grade A bull… completely unfair.”

Turning your head to give him better access to your neck your right hand skimmed along his spine, coming to rest on the back of his head. Your left hand left his side to clutch at his back. Your head was spinning. Your breaths were rushed. Jae pressed an especially wet kiss to the spot behind your ear and you huffed out a breathy sigh; bending your left leg slightly to rub against the front of his jeans. A huge puff of air hit your ear as Jae let out a sound almost like an exasperated laugh. You froze for a moment, noticing his kisses had stopped. His head hung loosely in the crook of your neck; his heavy breaths hitting your collarbone. Jae started to chuckle quietly after a few seconds. “We should probably stop. Every time we start something like this Michael shows up like some kind of demon and they’re due back anytime now.”

You surprised both of you when you responded with a frustrated groan. Jae snickered before giving your cheek a light peck and rolling off the couch onto the ground. He sprung to his feet and started towards the stairs, tugging on the fabric at the front of his pants. You twisted around to watch his first steps up the stairs. “Where are you going?”

He didn’t even bother to look at you when he replied, his ears turning a bright shade of pink. “Shower. Cold one. Don’t look at me.”

——————————————————-

Krystal and Michael had come back 5 minutes later so it was probably a good call for the two of you to stop. Lord knows when Michael would have stopped nagging you if your little love fest had progressed any further and he walked in on it.

The four of you were watching a movie now, Krystal and Michael shared the couch. Their sides touching slightly. While Jae and you were left to share the love seat to the right of them. He had an arm around your shoulders; the limited space had you so close you felt his chest against the right half of your back. He’d been especially affectionate since this afternoon and you didn’t mind. It was sweet. He was sweet. He made you feel like he just wanted to be near you, not like he was trying to escalate it.

Jae rested his head against the side of yours with a content hum. After a few moments you heard soft snores blowing past your right ear.

“Jae.” you whispered. No response.

“Jae.” This time he mumbled something in response. Still unconscious though.

You pulled your head away for a split second and bounced it back against his temple lightly.

His voice was thick with sleep. “Stop bullying me.”

You couldn’t help but snort. “Don’t fall asleep. I want to watch this with you.”

He nuzzled his head into the crook of your neck sleepily. “Let me take a nap. 20 minutes.”

You tried to pull away. “It’s 9 PM. It’s not a nap past 5. Everyone knows that.”

He wrapped long arms around your torso; trapping your arms against your sides. “Sit still. 30 minutes.”

“You said 20!”

No response anymore. Just soft snores.

You smiled to yourself as you adjusted in his arms. Cheeks lifting even more when his grip tightened as you wiggled around. Just as you’d gotten comfortable you felt eyes on you. Following the feeling you saw Krystal watching the two of you with a peculiar expression. Her brow was furrowed but her eyes carried more worry than disapproval. She must have felt your gaze because soon enough she stood and gestured for you to follow her. When you tried to stand Jae rustled behind you, mumbling something about ‘escaping’. You turned to give his cheek a light peck to placate the sleepy man. His mouth turning to a goofy grin as his arms slid away from you.

When you entered the kitchen, Krystal was leaning against the counter. You walked over to join her, still unsure of what she wanted to talk about. She cleared before breaking the silence with a voice laced with slight uncertainty.

“You look really happy with him.”

Smiling again you looked into the living room and saw Jae sprawled sloppily across the loveseat. His long legs dangling off of the arm of the much too small peice of furniture.

“He’s alright.” Was your response.

“Y/N you know I love you like my own sister right?” Krystal was staring at the ground.

Foreboding stirred in your heart at her uncharacteristically hesitant tone. “Yes?”

“And I love that you’re happy. I think Jae is awesome. He’s perfect for you honestly.”

You watched her shuffle her left foot back and forth nervously. “Thank you…?”

She looked up at you; brow furrowed still. “But I just feel like someone needs to remind you that he’s only here for a month. Tomorrow marks one week till he leaves. You know that right?”

You felt your face tense. So many different emotions sprung free in your chest. Anger. Of course you knew. You weren’t an idiot. You’d been keeping track subconsciously. Though you tried your best not to think about it. Why was she reminding you? Shock. One week was so little time. He was going to leave. The realization of something you’d been avoiding crashing down on you suddenly. But underneath it all was sadness. He was going to leave for the other side of the planet in just seven days. You’d had best friends move one state over simply to drift away and out of touch. What hope did you have to stay in touch with a boy you met 3 weeks ago?

Krystal reached over to touch your sleeve. Your silence causing more worry in the girl who’d become one of your best friends. “Y/N… I just didn’t want you to get blindsided. I think it’s important that you keep it in mind, you know?”

You tugged your sleeve out of her hand. Scowling at the girl next to you. “I know. I’m not sure why you felt the need to tell me when I’m just sitting there trying to enjoy it. Are you going to remind me every time you see me enjoying my oh so little time with him?” You knew she meant well. It wasn’t her fault. She was just looking out for you. She must have known you knew too because she didn’t get mad or defensive. Krystal simply stood and walked back into the living room. Giving your shoulder a light pat as she strut passed.

As soon as she left the room your breath rushed out of you in a harsh sob. Your shoulders fell and the scowl you’d been wearing like some kind of armor crumpled away. Bracing yourself against the counter you tried to steady your breathing. One week. That’s all you had left with him.

You turned towards the living room. Arms holding firmly onto the counter behind you. Jae snorted as he readjusted on the cramped love seat. Michael threw a couch pillow at him from across the room. Reprimanding the unconscious man for snoring.

One more week with that lanky dork. And even though you were smiling it didn’t stop the tear you felt sliding down your cheek.


THE END IS NIGH! I’ve been really struggling with this closing arc. I love this story and endings but I threw in some steamy bits to soften the blow. This isn’t the last part though so don’t be too sad haha but it is coming. EVER VIGILANT. Love y’all.