Jeon Jungkook

An Encore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 10: Jeon Jungkook

 

    He clutched the bag of candy canes so tight that the candies broke in half. “She’ll be alright, Jungkook-ah.” Irene eyed the bag of candies; she was more worried for the boy than for her friend. Or maybe she should be more worried for those poor candies. They certainly didn’t deserve to get heartlessly crushed like that.

    They were in the academy hospital, just right outside Seulgi’s room. He could clearly see her from where he was at, thanks to the gigantic observation windows her room came with. Thankfully, fortunately, he couldn’t influence his mind as Seulgi was still relatively near to him. He was still himself.

    “How did he even get in here in the first place? How could he have gotten past the wards?” Jungkook responded with unconcealed anger. He couldn’t believe that his Seulgi was right there, on a hospital bed, unconscious, because of that traitorous bastard.

    He’s going to rip off Taeyong’s head the next time he sees him.

    “I’m not sure either,” Irene’s perfectly groomed eyebrows furrowed. “The middle school principal’s wards should be strong enough to hold against even an army—or so I’ve been told.”

    He banged on the windows, surprising Irene. “He’s not going to get away with this.” He muttered under his breath. 

    “Jungkook-ah…” Irene looked at him worriedly.

    “UNNIE!” Someone screamed in a shrill tone as she approached the two. Jungkook scratched his hypersensitive ears due to the sudden annoying sound.

    “Oh, Joy! Yeri! Yah, what are you two doing here? Don’t you guys have class?” Irene scolded them as the two neared. 

    Jungkook peered a glance at the two. Joy and Yeri were in his year, but he had never bothered to talk to them, even if they were Seulgi’s friends. It wasn’t that he particularly disliked them; he just naturally hung out with boys instead of girls when not with his Dangerous Ability teammates. 

    Joy, he knew, was quite popular within their year. He knew this because his other friends wouldn’t stop talking about how they really liked her. He could see her charm; she was cute and her aegyo was told to be something to witness, but she was definitely not his type. Yeri, on the other hand… he wonders if he’s even ever seen her in class before.

    Yeri glanced at him shyly as Joy spoke. “Who cares about class! Seulgi unnie’s in the hospital!” She hurried towards the windows and teared up as she saw her unnie’s unconscious form. “What happened to you, Seulgi unnie?”

    His brain started to hurt at the number of people in his proximity. Normally, this wouldn’t happen because Seulgi was near, but he thought it must be because she was unconscious that her presence isn’t quite as effective as it usually is. If this went on, he was terrified that he might make a sudden appearance. 

    “It’s-it’s confidential,” Irene stammered. He looked at her sharply. What would be the ramifications of Taeyong’s breach in the academy? If someone like him had gotten in, how can they be sure that others haven’t tried do the same?

    No, if the general student body found out, there would be chaos. It was better that they didn’t know.

    “WHAT! Unnie, how can you say that! We care about her just as much as you do!” Yeri suddenly exclaimed in an outburst. Much like everyone else there, she must have been shocked by her sudden outburst, and so she ran away towards the opposite direction.

    Jungkook sighed. This was why it was difficult to have friends who weren’t from the Dangerous Ability class. There were too many secrets, too many lies they had to tell for their own good.

    “She’ll be okay, though, right, unnie?” Joy’s eyes didn’t waver from Seulgi; it was clear she was extremely worried for her. Jungkook wanted to take a video of it then show it to Seulgi as soon as she wakes up. Doesn’t she know that there are people who would be devastated if she left them? She shouldn’t even consider leaving in the first place, because leaving the academy meant leaving them… and him. 

    He was never going to let that happen. “Physically, yes, but mentally…” Irene frowned. 

    Jungkook shook his head. He needed to get away from this somber mood, but he can’t allow himself to go far enough for fear that he would awaken. “I’ll get coffee. You guys want any?”

    “Grab us two, Jungkook-ah. Thanks,” She smiled at him gratefully before proceeding to comfort her crying dongsaeng.

    The harsh light from the fluorescent lights stung his eyes, but he didn’t care. All Jungkook could think about was how dangerously close the situation was earlier. If he had arrived a minute later, Taeyong would have succeeded in kidnapping Seulgi. He would have been too late.

    He saw the desolate row of vending machines neatly arranged at the other end of the hallway. As soon as he got to them, he randomly picked three cans of coffee without giving much thought to the flavour. Besides, with his tastebuds, all kinds of instant coffee tasted disgusting to him, anyway.

    “Ah,” Someone squeaked from behind him. He turned around and saw Yeri with her hands clasped tightly together, her eyes wet with tears that were dangerously close to leaking.

    “Oh,” Quickly realising the situation, he stood aside. “Sorry.”

    Yeri shook her head. “Ani,” She softly replied. “I’m not here for the coffee.”

    He looked at her questioningly. Yeri really did look like a mess at that moment. Her blonde hair  was bundled up in a messy ponytail and her eyeballs were very prominent under the harsh fluorescent lights. 

    “You really care for her, don’t you?” He couldn’t help but ask her.

    Yeri instantly blushed. “She’s my favourite person in the whole world.” She replied with childlike innocence, but she seemed flustered for reasons Jungkook couldn’t quite grasp. Yeah, me too, he wanted to reply, but found that he couldn’t.

    “Are you okay?” She was getting more nervous as they talked; he hoped it wasn’t because of him. Seulgi did tell him he could be too overwhelming at times.

    Yeri visibly flinched, surprising him. “I’m sorry—“

    “It’s fine!” She shouted in a high-pitched tone. “I-I’m fine. Bye!” And without even looking at his eyes, she ran away.

    “Wha—” Before he could dwell on it even further, the vending machine behind him made a loud clank. He took the beverages he bought and took his time walking back to where the others were.

    On his way back, someone from behind clamped a hand on his shoulder. Jungkook was starting to get irked by the amount of people who seem to think it’s fine to touch someone else first before greeting them. 

    “Kookie, how is she?”

    He looked back and saw Jimin with their other friends, Yoongi, Namjoon, and Taehyung trailing closely behind him. Jungkook shook his head. “She’s fine, hyung—just unconscious.”

    Jimin went ahead, leaving him with his other hyungs. “Wow, you must be really sleepy, Kookie.” Taehyung commented, most likely because of the coffee cans Jungkook was still holding.

    “Oh, these?” He lifted them up. “The other are for Irene noona and Joy. They’re all there.”

    The four of them began to walk forward, but in a slow manner. “You know,” Yoongi observed. “I never knew that Jimin and Seulgi were close enough for him to worry about her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter