FINAL

Blood

He was walking down the street. There was no one but him since it’s already midnight. He had to go to the nearest convenience store because he run out of a damn cooking oil. The night was cold, it was creeping through the core of his bones. It was winter in Seoul, but the temperature was never like this. I should’ve wore another jacket over one. Or just didn’t come out of the apartment.

“I swear I’d always check my stocks and never come out in a winter night.” He blows hot breathes in his hands, trying to keep it warmer despite having the gloves. He was trying to walk faster, his foot almost numbing with the cold. He looked around, looking if there’s other reckless people like him to get out in a night like this. Trying to look into the dusky street, he suddenly saw a white thing in the shadowy part of a building. What the hell is that?

He slowly marched to it, his eyes locked on whatever it is. To his surprise, it was a human. The guy wears a white coat with a hood, black leather pants, barefooted. He’s not even moving.

Wait… Is he dead?

The thought put horror in him, he doesn’t want to ing see a cold dead man even in his dreams let alone in the road. He was almost stoned where he is standing and almost forgot to breathe when the man grunts and coughs and he suddenly jumped away being startled. “WHAT THE!"

His heart was racing, his breathing uneven and his knees are weak. But being a curious man, he walked to the guy that continues to cough… blood. And a lot of blood. Too much blood.

He didn’t think again of fear nor danger, just suddenly kneeled beside him. “Holy , what the hell is happening to you?” His thoughts are disarrayed; he cannot think of anything to help him. His whole being was trembling, this is his first time seeing a dying man in front of his face and coughing blood at that. And all of the things he hates… blood was on the first place.

The guy slowly opened his eyes, his sight not even focusing in one place. “J-Just… leave me please…” he mumbled between his breaths.

“Are you an idiot? Don’t lie on the road if you want people to leave you. If you’re going to die, don’t do it in front of me!” He shouted at the guy.

The guy chuckled but obviously, he’s having a hard time doing it. “You’re an amusing person…” then he put a little grin in his face.

“Aish, shut up, don’t talk, okay? It’s not good for you.” He snarled at the guy, thinking that talking damages the throat more since he had already coughed blood.

What am I going to do?                                                        

He inhaled and exhaled, trying to calm himself up. Funny how he was sweating now, when he’s almost frozen earlier. “Where’s your house? I’ll take you there. Damn, why is the hospital so far and not even cabs are coming.” He was starting to grit his teeth, sometimes biting his lips.

“G-Go home… It won’t do you any good if you stay here…” The guy looked at him pleading, his eyes filled with pain and strange warmth. “Thank you for doing this but you should leave…”

“What are you saying? Ow, wait, don’t talk, don’t talk again.”

I really should bring him home. I could at least give him first aid. Good thing I listen in class. But , where did I put the medicine kit?

“H-Hey. I’m begging you. L-Leave… damn this is so hard.. ” His voice was now begging but he refused to listen to him. The guy’s breathing was heavy, but he thinks that he could take breaths better than before.

Like I could leave you like this…

“Why are you here? You should be at home.”

And I'm the one to talk.

"None of your business. Look... Just leave, okay?" he suddenly changed the way he talked, he looks irritated, maybe he was desperate on pushing him away.

"Why do I need to leave? You're obviously dying and I could obviously help you. What's so hard about getting help from the one who offers it?"

That's bull.

The guy suddenly looked down. He bowed his head and averted his eyes. He was keeping something and maybe it’s better not asking, not dare knowing but his nosiness won over. “Tell me.”

"Look. I don't want you to be involved in my case. Just leave me here, forget that this happened. Okay?"

"No."

He heaves a sigh and looked in his eyes with uneasiness. “You can’t understand me and you don’t have to but I’m saying this for your sake.”

He’s now more curious than ever, he wanted to know things his understanding couldn’t reach. “I’ll try to understand. I’ll try, okay? Just tell me what’s going on.”

“You won’t believe me.” He snickered.

He raised his brows. He doesn’t expect him to easily give him his trust but he won’t stop until he says what's his reasons are. “I would. Okay?”

“You’ll think I’m crazy.”

“I said I won’t.”

A long silence and quietness passed at them.

Is he going to say it?

He took a deep breath. “Y-You know… vampires?”

Vampires? What about vampires? What, vampires?

He hushed for a moment and think about what had been a common knowledge among humans about vampires. “Well, they’re creatures that have pointed tooth at the front that draws out blood on their preys and they never age and they’re afraid of the sun and silvers and they die when you put a dagger in their hearts. But don’t tell me you’ve been bitten by a vampire because I’ll really think you’re crazy.” Well, how would they exist these days? If this was still an ancient period, perhaps he’d think about it. It’s been a hundred years and none of those creatures were verified to be existing.

“Silly… I’m not bitten…” He said chuckling.

He was caught off guard with the guy’s unexpected giggle, he suddenly looked like an alone kid that had found a playfellow. His cheeks were now having a shade of pink; his appearance became more lovely beneath the moon’s light.

Stopping himself from observing his face once again, he continued probing questions. “Then? Why are you asking about them?”

The guy looked straight into his eyes, unto the depth of his soul before revealing a secret.

“I'm one of them.”

He stared at him, his eyes narrowed, measuring the truth in the statement he just dropped. Of course, his doubt weighs more. “You’re kidding.”

The guy groaned. “I knew it. You won’t believe any of my words even if I die here, right?” he said in a mocking tone.

“No! I didn’t mean it like that! I mean, there’s just no way you’re a vampire! It’s 2016, that’s not even a joke these days!”

“Who said I’m joking? You’re just one stupid creature refusing to believe the reality. And we’re superior beings than you, humans. We’re more than jokes.”

A drip of bloodlust and anger, that’s what he sensed right at that moment. The funny thing is, he can’t feel the fear. He don’t know, but maybe it's because he already burned the image of him smiling in his mind. His eyes were stern, but looks like someone who desires understanding.

He exhaled. This guy’s not like someone who’d pull a prank in the middle of the night but he doesn’t want to give up yet. “Let me see your fangs.”

“What?” The guy staggered with the sudden swing of his question.

“Fangs, I said. You know… fangs?” He pointed at his incisors, trying to show the indication of a real vampire.

“I know what it is but I’m asking… Why would you want to see it?” He questioned, irritated by his answer earlier.

“So that I’ll believe in your stories.” He shrugged, simply giving his intention.

The guy frustratedly sighed. “All right.” He groaned, maybe thinking of how much of a pain in the he is. But he still showed it anyway. He did… and it was amazing.

“What the hell…” he mumbled under his breathe. Those fangs were unusually long, but… “Well, there are people who really have those kind of teeth.” He just can’t accept it yet.

“Can they do this?” He exposed his teeth, how it turns longer and then normal, and how long, purplish-blue veins appear in his face.

His jaw dropped at what he revealed just now, his voice high-pitched, astonished by those features. “You aren’t joking?”

“Ugh, come on, I’m serious from the very start.” He massaged his temple and then muttered, “You’re so stupid.”

He ignored that remark, he’s more engrossed at the individual before him; now that his hesitations and uncertainties already gone. “But why are you dying? Vampires don’t get sick and don’t even have wounds that won’t get healed right away.”

“For others yeah, but not for me.”

“And why is that?”

His eyes glowed of gold while gazing at him. Half of a minute had passed before he stated his reason.

“I’ve never once drink blood.”

He gawked at him. “What? You serious?”

“I said I’m serious, okay? Why won’t you consider the things that I’m saying are facts? Don’t ask when you’re not planning to believe my words.” He said, offended by his former question.

“I’m sorry. It’s just hard to take it all.”

“Fine.”

He gulped, trying to continue the conversation he just blew up. “Uh… You mean you haven’t tried drinking blood since you were a child? What happens when you don’t?”

“I still don’t have those red eyes, a sign that a vampire already got his prey. I haven’t found mine. That is the reason why I’m like this."

“Why won’t you drink blood? What did you eat in those years?”

“Normal foods. I could get by with those. They can’t insatiate my blood thirst but they are able to fill my stomach.”

“Look… There are lots of people in the world. Wait, don’t get me wrong but… I can’t understand why you’re letting yourself die.”

In his knowledge, vampires don’t care about their prey. They feed on their victim’s blood in order to live and survive. And they are weaker when they aren’t able to satisfy their longing for their food.

“Maybe because I think it’s bad?”

He smirked. “Now you’re just joking.” He know he almost sounded sarcastic but that’s the most hilarious thing he had heard from him so far.

He rolled his eyes along with a sigh. “I have my own reasons.”

He sat beside him and realized it was comfortable. He felt at ease and relaxed, despite knowing the guy was dangerous though he was harmless for now. He already came into a decision, something he thought of just now. It may change his whole life and turn it upside down but he love taking risks. “Since I don’t want you to die and I want to know more about you… Drink my blood. Just don’t drink lot, I don’t want to die yet.”

The guy scowled at him, thinking that what he had just stated was ridiculous. “That’s insane. You’re asking of death.”

“You won’t leave me dried up, would you?” He raised his brows. “What, can’t control it?” He dared. He wasn’t playing, he was dead serious of that choice. He was willing to put anything at stake. What he was doing was exciting and thrilling. He could feel the adrenaline, maybe the reason why he couldn’t think straight. Or maybe because of the guy’s beauty. He laughed quietly at that thought. He’s really attractive. And add those plump lips.

He really doesn’t know but he felt alive for the first time in his life. For as long as he know, he’d been bored to death and numb for his entire life. Nothing he could be interested of. Not money, not , not drugs. He just felt like everything in this world were the same. Dull, gray, dead. But certainly that’s not the case now.

“Of course I could! A little amount would be fine. But a taste would be the start of something more. I’ll benefit, you’ll not.” He makes clear of the situation, trying to change his decision.

No, I won’t.

“At least, my conscience is clean. I made a good deed, not letting someone die when I could do something. So?” He smiled at him like a kid eager for someone’s approval.

He scoffed. “You think this is a good deed? And I’m saying this again, you’re an idiot. Get lost.”

“I won’t leave and I’m not an idiot. Try me.”

“No. You don’t even know the consequences. You’ll regret it later.”

“I’ll think about what would happen next. And I’ll really regret it later and for the rest of my life if you did die. Come on, I’m helping you.” He prodded.

“No.”

“You’ll die.”

“It’s fine.”

“It’s not! Don’t be such a brat.”

“I’m older than you.”

"How did you know I was younger?"

"Cause you act like a kid."

“You’re more of a kid than me. I'm not blaming you for anything that would happen next so live, okay?”

“I don’t want to survive if it means hurting people or you.”

“You won’t hurt people or me, I know it.” He assured him.

“No.”

He let out a frustrated sigh, his eyes searching for something sharp. “Fine. I’ll force you.”

Not far away from him is a shattered bottle. He picked up a piece of it and grazed his skin in his left arm. Blood oozed from the wound which made him shudder.

How I hate blood... He sighed, looking at his trembling hands. It aches but not that much that I couldn’t bear. This is nothing.

The guy gazed at the wound, at the blood dripping from it. It was crimson red, beautiful under the subtle light coming from the moon.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING? STOP IT!” He cried and shrieked at the sight. There was heavy breathing, his hands curled and his knuckles almost white, those bluish-purple veins came out again, his fangs exposed. His bloodlust was evident; he was just doing his best to stop himself from tasting the one thing he’d been keeping himself away from.

“Just live, okay?” He looked at him with a gentle and tender expression, showing he was willing and prepared to do it for him.

“Why… why are you doing this?” He asked. A tear fell from his eyes, uncertain of his reason for helping him, aiding him with his blood to appease his thirst.

“It’s none of your business. Come on, I’m offering you my blood.” He positioned his arms near the guy’s lips, then caressing and his hair, encouraging him.

You have such a soft and nice hair…

"No please... Stay away... Stop it..." He closed his eyes firmly, he was gritting his teeth, his hands on his back.

"Just do it. I'm prepared for anything."

His broad shoulders were shaking and shuddering. His eyes with tears glowed and was looking at him, asking for forgiveness. “I’m sorry…” He mumbled, giving way to his desire and yearning for his blood.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ve already chose this.”

The guy gulped, opened his mouth, releasing all of his inhibitions and reservations. His desire won over reasoning, his hunger was evident. But he could also see in his eyes the affection and warmth. He badly wanted this, badly needed someone who’d be willing to understand his nature without judgements.

Don’t cry, be strong to stay beside me.

Silence.

Stay beside… me?

He was taken aback what he had just thought. Why would he want him to stay?

I…

Those thoughts were cut off, when those plump lips traced the blood’s trails in his skin. He was sipping his skin, leaving reddish marks. His tongue shifted to his wound, gently gnawing and nibbling, cleaning the cut he made.

Wait… No, stop…

He never expected letting a vampire drink his blood would be so and sensual, he was slowly getting hard. His back was stiff, trying to keep himself upright from the unfamiliar kind of sensation and pleasure he’s feeling right now.

Holy , this is bad… This should stop…

But those slight and weak protests were masked by lust and longing when those lips that were on his arms earlier were now at his neck. “Hey..." he asked then looked in his eyes, asking for his consent.

He really doesn’t have any objection, his rational thinking was clouded, so he meekly smiled and leaded those lips to his neck. Sturdy arms s in his waist, pulling him closer.

The guy gently caressed the nape of his neck, his mouth softly kissing and nibbling. “To let you know, it’s already too late to back off now.” His husky voice whispered in his ears.

“I know.” He replied.

He moaned when he felt a sudden burning and throbbing sensation in his neck. He felt two small holes were formed, probably because of his fangs now buried there. He felt the gush of blood, his mouth sipping and swallowing what’s flowing from there. He whined and wailed softly, stopping himself from making absurd noises. It was painful yet pleasing especially when he nursed the wound with his tongue.

He’s a stranger… I haven’t asked his name… So why am I letting these things happen?

Those thoughts were pushed aside in his mind when his lips ghosted in his, nibbling with his lower lip and then invaded his whole mouth. He groaned.

Their tongues both fight for dominance, making that kiss more passionate and obsessive with every second passing. He felt feverish and he started yearning for more. It was scary... Too scary because he never wanted anyone this bad.

His eyes flutter open when those warm lips he’s starting to get addicted to suddenly withdrew. 

“I’m going to seal the contract.” The guy was breathless and so he is. He looked at him and his eyes were now red. It was beautiful.

So it really do became red eh?

Lust and desire was apparent in those eyes but maybe it’s really a good decision he stopped because most likely, he couldn’t stop himself from whatever he wanted to do with him.

“What contract?” He asked. He did say contract right?

The guy bit his lips hard until it bleeds.

“Ask later.”

He attacked him again with passionate kisses and he tasted the tangy crimson red blood.

 

 

 

“Hey. Wear this after you’re done with the hot bath. They’ll fit in you.” He gave him a pair of sweater and pants along with a towel and a blanket. He was now sitting beside the fireplace, getting heat and comfort.

“Thank you.” He mumbled.

“You aren’t cold earlier? You’re not even wearing shoes.”

“A little bit. Cause we don’t really feel cold that much. Wait, what is your name?”

“Oh yeah, right. I’m Taehyung. Kim Taehyung. And yours?”

“Kim Seok Jin, call me Jin.”

He laughed silently at the thought of them exchanging names just now when they've already met a few hours ago and did those things earlier.

Jin... Should I call him Jin hyung?

"Did I hurt you earlier?”

“Of course it hurts. But that's fine. I just hope nobody saw you biting me.”

He flushed at the thought of him and his Jin hyung doing that.

And then I was whimpering and earlier...

He firmly closed his eyes and immediately turned his back on him to hide his reddening face.

“I’m sorry I took so much blood from you…”

“It’s fine, I didn’t die so it’s okay." He was about to go to the kitchen to prepare some hot coffee when he remembered something. "Hey, what is that contract you’re saying earlier?”

Jin averted his eyes and just stared at the fire lighting the whole living room. “It’s a pact made when vampires drink blood of the first person they've chosen. It wasn’t exactly like what it means but you humans call it marriage.”

His eyes widened with shock. “M-MARRIAGE? I’M ALREADY MARRIED TO YOU?”

“Yeah. Why?” he just shrugged at his reaction as if it wasn't even a big deal.

“HOW COULD YOU CALL THAT A MARRIAGE?”

“Because… our relationship was already sealed?”

“Sealed? How is that sealed?”

Jin sighed, maybe tired from explaining their situations from the first second they've met until now. “We already drank each other’s blood. Once I drank yours, I can’t drink others. Your blood and mine became one in my body and drinking other's like a poison to me.”

He fell silent for a moment, absorbing the situation he got in. “When is that a rule?” he whispered. He was not expecting that outcome; he wasn't prepared for this.

“My parents already told me that. It was the oath given by the first vampire since the first human that had been his victim is also the same woman he fell in love with. And by that he made that curse-that we will be loyal to our partners, humans or vampires, thus carefully picking our target. That’s why we’re really small in number. We have to choose the person we really wanted to end up with or just let ourselves die. Others did die, many had already been tied with humans. And by that, there's just a small chance of their offspring to be our kind. Reproduction were too slow.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“Of course, you humans wouldn’t know that. Your books only tell we drink blood and hence kill people.”

He ignored that remark. “You said earlier that you don’t want to hurt people but you just said you’ll only have one victim.”

“You’ve got good memory. But I just said that to stop you. But you’re an idiot and you didn’t stop.”

“Where’s your parents?”

He paused for a moment. “They’re dead.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine.”

 “You’ll drink my blood every day with your every meal?”

“I only eat once a day. It’s not like you’re going to die from that. I told you earlier before all these things happen, you’ll regret it. You also can't let other vampires have your blood. You already have mine. It'll kill you.”

"Like I'll let others have me." he mumbled. "So what do you mean it’s not like I’m going to die from that?”

“We exchange bloods. I live, you live. I won’t let you die. You’re my mate now. That’s the contract.”

“What the… You mean, I’m a vampire, too now? I’d also drink blood, that’s gross.”

“How could you call that gross…”

“I hate it, to be honest.”

Jin stared at him, a little bit offended. “A little bit is fine so your blood would be flourished again. It’s just like sipping the blood from a needle pricked in your fingers.”

“That’s insane…”

He really can't imagine himself drinking blood. He doesn't even want to think about it.

“That’s the very reason why I can’t drink blood just from anyone. It’s a big risk for me and you.”

“Then why did you drink mine? You can’t even have a baby with me!”

“Are you an idiot? You’re the one who forced me to do it! And I really can’t do anything about that.”

“Ah, yeah. I’m sorry. That’s one less number in your kind.”

“Yeah, it’s bad news but...” Sighs. “Tell me if you don’t want this setup. I’m prepared to leave any--”

“NO! Don’t say that. It’s fine. I’m fine with it.” Then he looked at him suspiciously. “Hey! You’re blackmailing me!”

His brows raised. “I’m not. I’m ready to get out of your life if you want me to.”

He felt a sudden pain when he thought about Jin leaving. He can't explain why but he's now a part of his life. Just like what he said, they're married now. Whether he liked it or not. He doesn't have anything against it to be honest so why would he let him go?

“Don't. I don’t mean it, sorry.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Then… it’s okay.”

He nodded. A long silence passed at them, he could hear just their breathing, the woods burning, the wind howling outside. But he was afraid he might also hear his heart.

"Hyung, I'll just make us some coffee. You could go at the bath." He couldn't stand the silence so he decided to talk.

"Taehyung wait."

"Yeah?"

“I also want to admit that…” Jin looked at him shyly, to the floor then at him again. “I like you.”

Silence.

“You… like me?”

He nodded.

He felt all of his blood rushed to his face. He felt like burning. He can't think straight.

"What?"

He's confessing out of the blue?

"I said I like you." He said in a straight and serious face.

He again felt that reddening of his face, he just wanted the floor to eat him up. 

Who goes confessing in a person you just knew?

“You like me.” He stated.

He nodded again.

“Well that’s…” Sighs. “Never mind. The bath would get colder; you have to go.”

He decided to end that conversation because he don't know how he should act, what he should say or just think these things over. Too many happened tonight and this was too much to handle.

But Jin didn't even budged from his place.

“Hey. You listening?”

“Yes, I am. Uh... Taehyung?”

He just looked at him with a questioning face.

“Can I kiss you again?"

This time he felt like a lava was poured on him, he was flushed at the question.

"IDIOT! DON’T GO ASKING ME LIKE THAT!”

“Then I won’t ask next time. I’ll just do it.”

Jin stood up from the sofa, slowly walking towards him. His eyes were glowing with gold, desire apparent in those. His lips were pinkish and wet, and were slightly parted. His hair was kinda messy, his fringe almost in his eyes. It was just too beautiful to explain.

He was alarmed when he realized he was just a few steps from him. “Huh? W-wait…”

Jin took another step closer to him that he also had to step backwards.

“I told you, you’d regret it later…”

“Ya. Stop it.” He warned. But maybe that warning was too weak that Jin still stepped forward towards him.          

“It’s too late, I won’t let you go.”

He moved backwards, he moved forward.

“You’re a vampire’s mate now.”

He took another step behind but there was just... the wall. He was cornered, no steps left to take at all. Jin's arms were both on his side, his face an inch away from his. He could feel his subtle breath, could see the little grin in his face.

“And Taehyung... You’re only mine now.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~