Familiar

Debt N Love

'Miss Eugene... Is it really you?' My attention is focused on my mum and an old man who has just entered the shop. He wears a black suit that looks like it has been work several years, the black seems to look rougher than it should be

'Mr Lim?' My mum took a little moment to recall and the old man had a big smile platered on his face.
'Yes, I am Mr Lim. Its been such a long while.' He laugh, heartily. 'How long has it been? 30 years?'
'Yes, Mr Lim. I was just 10 years old at that time, helping with my grandmother mending her small bakery.' My mum explained, smiling from ear to ear. I was happy just looking at them chat. My mum doesn't have much friends and she usually only talks to me.

'It runs in the blood, huh?' The man said and look around. 'What a fine bakery you have.' Mr Lim compliments and I could see a thin blush covering my mum's face. My mum seldom blush, she's often portraying the image of a strong, independent woman. There was never a need to have a father, my mum plays both roles. Putting in the double effort to make me feel loved. 'And that's your daughter?' He asks and I quickly straighten up.

'Come here, Suhyun.' My mum says and I quickly walk to stand beside her.
'Hello, I am Baek Suhyun.' I bowed and the old man flashed me his perfect teeth white smile. He looks kind and the type of man who is fair and generous. Sometimes I wish I had more family members and when I ask my mum about it, she always get mad at me. We do get lonely and it saddens me sometimes that we do not have anyone else to depend on.

'I've always wish to see. I meant, to see you in person.' He added when he sees my confused look. 'You're a very special lady.' He beams and pats my head.

Old Mr Lim stayed a while longer, chatting with my mum while seated and enjoying a cup of hot chocolate I made and the all time favorite - red bean bun. I am so glad they love it.

My heart pick pace when I look at the clock strike 9.00pm. I wonder if Mr CEO would be coming since he's been dropping by often to grab our red bean bun.

To my dismay, he didn't came. I wonder if he's busy or sick. Old Mr Lim swept almost all the remaining items in the shop and he grabs all the last 4 red bean buns. There goes my effort in keeping them. Biding goodbyes to Old Mr Lim, I closed the shop feeling kind of sad.

'Suhyun, close the shop, let's go up.' My mum said at 9.15pm and I drag my feet to lock the door and switching the signal. 'What's bothering you?' My mum ask, linking with my arm while we go up the stairs. I shake my head, emphasizing it was nothing. Felling hungry, I cooked us ramen and she shared with me stories about the times when she was still little and how Uncle Lim would always visit them. Even as a kid, she suspected Uncle Lim might most probably carried a torch for her grandmother.

It was a comforting sight to see my mum sharing her past with me. I wish she could be as happy everyday, just like today. I love to see her smile more than everything.

My mum has always been the definition of strong, never weakness. When we moved in the past, my mum would always be the one doing the deed, she seldom or even never complained before. Three months ago, she's equally strong like any other times. Her smiles were seldom as relax and genuine like today. I hope we could stay a bit longer or even permanent here, if possible. It iss time we settle down.

--

'Miss Miyoung, why are your eyes so puffy?' I ask, her eyes are very swollen and I wonder if she would be alright working today.
'My boyfriend dumped me and yesterday's drama was too sad, so I cried my heart out.' She says and sniffle at the same time. 'My boyfriend is so mean! He found a new girlfriend so he dumped me.' Miss Miyoung started to cry again and I quickly walk out of my counter and push her to seat on our chair.
'Oh my, please don't cry. I erm, I... Here, eat this. You'll feel better that way!' I grab a strawberry tart and place it infront of Miss Miyoung.
'Strawberry is his favorite fruit, not mine!' She whines even louder and I quickly took the strawberry tart away and replace it with pineapple pie.
'Maybe this will help?' I carefully place the new pie infront of her and she finally stopped whinning and nods her head. 'And a cup of Americano please.' She pouts and point at the coffee machine.
'Right up!' I smile at her, as long as she stops crying, anything is fine. Business has been good and she's our regular, a small treat won't kill.

'I will pay for them.' She says when I pass her the freshly brewed coffee.
'Don't worry, treat it as a special regular treatment. We want you to be happy too.' I beam, hoping it sounds okay. My mum is in the kitchen preparing cakes as usual, I guess she isn't coming out because she must have known who is making a small scene at the bakery.
'By the way, Mr Kim would like to order-'' Miss Miyoung pause to drink her Americano, 'would like to order 10 cakes, all sliced nicely.'
'10 cakes?' I looked at my ten fingers, that would mean sweeping away 3/4 of our cakes today.
'And-'
'And?' I ask, shocked at the sudden order.
'Yes,' She giggles, 'and 30 tarts, 30 pies and 30 mixture of breads and buns.' She flashes me a corporate credit card and looks at me smugly. I bet she must be over the moon to hold such an important card.

I quickly start to pack the order and when I'm almost done, I remember how much Mr CEO loves our red bean bun. Thinking he might he missing it, I took 2 of it, hoping he would enjoy it.

I'm glad I've worn a blouse today topped with black jeans and a pair of pink flats, walking into a building full of working people dressed in coproate wears stresses me out sometimes. We get a couple of orders for special delivery and once I feel so out of place, I had to return home to change before making the delivery again.

'We're here.' Miss Miyoung beams and announced to her department of my arrival. Her team smiles at me and I gladly greeted with a bow. Miss Miyoung's team is very nice, they're pretty friendly to an outsider like me.

'Miyoung, what took you so late? Have you bought the food?' A lady with thick wavy red hair, dressed in black body hugging short dress and a super high killer heel came to approach us at Miss Miyoung's table. She smells of concentrated Miss Chloe, a scent which I remembered when I visited a cosmetic shop with my mum. Her cleaverge are showing and I could see some of the men in the department is trying to catch a glimpse of her.

'Yes, Manager Ki.' Miss Miyoung answers, grumpily. From her tone of voice, it doesn't seems like the woman is in her favour.
'You are?' She arch her brows and pointed at me with bright red long manicured fingers. Miss Miyoung quickly explained that I'm from the bakery and I'm here to help out. 'Don't you know outsiders aren't allowed to enter company premises? Do you want to take responsibility if our corporate secrets are leaked out?' The woman starts to reprimand Miss Miyoung and I'm shivering as well from the looks she's casting at me. She looks so irritating and annoying, the type of women picking on her subordinate just because she's a rank higher.

'Miss Suhyun.' I heard my name from a familiar voice and sees Mr CEO standing infront of me, smartly dressed in corporate attire. His hair has been style down today. He looks young and cheerful.
'Mr CEO.' I bow and earn a smile from the taller man.
'So Miyoung, you've bought everything I asked you to?'
'Yes, CEO Kim. This is the corporate credit card.' She passed it to the man standing behind Mr CEO.
'And Sua, why are you here? Don't you have work to attend to?' He asks, but this time his friendliness is gone. His tone is low and cold, as if someone is challenging his authority. Mr CEO is scary. 'I don't pay for looks. Is this a club here?' He asks, his eyes not once wavering.
'Oh.' Miss Miyoung let out a very soft oh and I could see the lady infront of us scowling at Miss Miyoung and me.
'So?' Mr CEO asks, this time he looks angrier than before.
'No, CEO Kim. I will change and attend to my work now.' She bowed and quickly scurried to her workplace. I kept my eyes low, hoping not to incur Mr CEO's wrath by meeting his eyes. I know he's kind but juding from his temper now, that may not be the case.

But he surprised me with his sudden request. All eyes were on me and I briefly wondered if I heard him wrong.
'What?' I ask and quickly covered my mouth at my outburst of words.