Moon Hyuna

9월 17일 (September 17th)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Love stories are all different, yet very much the same.

 

In the most classic of scenarios, a boy falls in love with a girl.

 

But because love works in wondrous ways, sometimes a girl falls in love with a girl, or a boy with a boy.

 

Some people are hasty to call such relationships weird and strange simply because they’re “different”.

 

If only people would give this misconception some serious thought, they might slowly start to understand that there really isn’t much of a difference when it comes to love.

 

You still kiss, you still hold hands, you still cuddle, you still care very much for each other, you still laugh when they do something silly, you still have petty squabbles. So where’s the contrast between a straight and queer couple?

 

More often than not, people are very willing to see past race and nationality, language, age, height, and many other not-so-important factors.

 

Why should gender be treated as a taboo of sorts?

 

Why do people come up with all sorts of labels and horrible names just to ostracize others?

 

Bae Joohyun had been struggling with all these questions ever since the day a certain girl entered her life; a girl who tugged so hard at her heartstrings that she feared the day they would just snap, a girl who made her feel like a kid in a candy store, always craving for more, a girl who taught her how blissful it felt like to be loved…

 

The school library was particularly peaceful and quiet that Monday morning. Bae Joohyun was curled up on one of the cushioned seats, poking at her phone. She had three hours to kill before her next lecture and was getting really bored waiting for her best friend. Stifling a yawn, she stretched herself out before grabbing her cell to shoot the girl another text.

 

“Please tell me you’re not still asleep, Sseul.”

 

After what seemed like an eternity later, her device buzzed.

 

“Oh my gosh I just woke up! My stupid alarm didn’t ring at all. I’m so sorry for making you wait! Lunch is on me. Be there in fifteen!”

 

“See you in a bit. Don’t rush. Be safe.”

 

Stuffing her phone back into her pocket, Joohyun spaced out for several minutes, wondering what else she could do while waiting. An idea soon struck her and she eagerly reached into her bag to pull out her diary. Nimble fingers leafed through the ink-stained pages, finally coming to a pause on a page dated September 17th.

 

It was one of her most heartfelt entries and she must have read it a thousand times. A small smile unknowingly crept upon her lips and she could feel her pulse pick up speed as she started reading…

 

Freshman orientation had been a blast and Joohyun was glad she managed to make several good friends in the process.

 

First, there was Kang Seulgi, a gorgeous girl with straight, brown hair and almond-shaped eyes. Then there was Son Seungwan, an adorable girl with a bubbly personality. Though Joohyun was pretty sure Park Sooyoung was only hanging out with them for practical reasons, the girl had her moments and knew just the right things to say to make them laugh. Last but not the least, there was Kim Yerim, your typical diligent and focused Miss Goody-two-shoes.

 

Everybody in the group knew Seungwan had a sister in the same school because she was constantly bragging about how cool her sister was, being on the college women’s basketball team and all that.

 

Then one fateful afternoon, Seungwan asked if they were interested to watch the team practice for an upcoming game. Not wanting to be spoilsports, everybody agreed.

 

As soon as they entered the massive basketball court, Seungwan immediately called out to her sister, waving frantically, “Unnie! Yah! Son Sungah! Over here!”

 

A girl with shoulder-length, dark hair looked in their direction, a huge smile forming on her face as she greeted back, “Wannie!”

 

“I brought my friends! We’re here to watch your team practice!” Seungwan shouted a little too excitedly.

 

Her sister gave her a thumbs-up in response, “Enjoy! Talk to you after!”

 

The girls each found a seat and made themselves comfortable. Joohyun had to admit that she was not exactly interested in watching the game. She never

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter