Part 2

Winter Lover

    Chanyeol stares out the window for a moment, watching the snowflakes rain down. He’s hidden Baekhyun’s Christmas present underneath his side of the bed. It’s a teddy bear with a Rolex watch on its wrist as well as the full boxed set of the Walking Dead. Baekhyun is thoroughly sarcastic, because Chanyeol knows Baekhyun would never fail to get him a Christmas present, despite what he says over the phone. Last year he got Chanyeol a pair of cufflinks, Bose headphones (“I did a fair amount of research and spent a fair amount of money on these, I hope you realize these are much better than Sol Republic or Beats”), and a new recording mic. They always end up spending money on fancy gifts for the other, even though they know they’re both content with the more humble things.

     Baekhyun arrives at the airport, texts Chanyeol, and then flags over a cab. Instead of going straight home, he goes to his favorite jeweler.

     Chanyeol waits anxiously at home. He’s looking very much forward to seeing Baekhyun again. He pounces on his phone as it buzzes: I’ll be home in around 20 minutes. If not, read this again. Chanyeol really hopes he doesn’t have to read it again. He blows out half of the candles, fearing he’s going to burn the house down.

     Baekhyun dusts the snow off his shoulders, hopping out of the cab and into the small shop. He’d come here to get his mother a bracelet for her birthday as well, but he wasn’t half as nervous giving that to her. It’s a small, independently run place, and the ladies working there remember him. “Ah, Baekhyun! What’s the occasion?”

     “I’m proposing, actually.”

     The three old ladies’ mouths drop open. “PROPOSING?!”

     “Yeah.” Baekhyun blushes a little. “Tonight. It’s Christmas Eve after all. Can I take a look at the wedding rings?”

     The three nearly go into hysterics, asking about who the lucky lady is. Baekhyun just laughs, peering through the glass to the display. One ring immediately catches his eye—the price tag reads a hefty $13,000 but the women immediately knock it down to $10,000 for Baekhyun’s special day. Baekhyun walks out with a little red box in his pocket and hails another cab (it’s luckily easy to hail a cab in Manhattan) and gives directions to their apartment. He texts Chanyeol, coming home soon. Chanyeol responds immediately. Hurry up, it’s been like six million years since you said twenty minutes.

    Baekhyun laughs, wrapping his scarf tighter around his neck. The city whizzes by, soft snowflakes rushing by the window. Times Square is lit up as always, bright lights pouring through the thick midnight darkness of the city. They arrive quickly to the complex, and Baekhyun pays, stepping out and towards the door. The wreath tied with red ribbon is pleasantly snow-dotted and Baekhyun pushes it open, warm air greeting him as he steps into the lobby.

     “Nice to see you back, Mr. Byun.”

     “How many times must I say, Yixing, just call me Baekhyun.” Baekhyun smiles. “It’s nice to see you too.”

     “Chanyeol’s looking forward to seeing you, I know.” Yixing smiles, handing over a few packages from the mailroom. “A few early Christmas packages from relatives, come early.”

     “Thanks.” Baekhyun queues the elevator. “Wish me luck.”

     “For which occasion?”

     “I’m proposing.”

     Yixing blinks, properly surprised. “Good luck to you, then, Mr. Byun.”

     Chanyeol is just about to text Baekhyun again when the door swings open and his small, snow-dusted brunette is waddling through the door hauling his luggage with a “, it’s cold out there.” Chanyeol’s face lights up and he grapples Baekhyun into a tight hug, and Baekhyun pulls away to take off his coat first. “Damn, what smells good in here?”

     “No idea.” Chanyeol shrugs. “I’m going to play you the song I wrote, okay?”

     “Oh, nice.” Baekhyun takes a seat on the piano bench and leans on the closed piano. Chanyeol remembers when Baekhyun had won that Selier grand, one of the fanciest pianos around, as the championship prize of his senior music competition. The thing was expensive. The two really only splurge money on gifts for one another and musical equipment, and Chanyeol likes it like that. “It’s not a full song, it only goes through a verse and chorus.”

      “Why did you even bother?” Baekhyun snorts. “Sheesh. It was literally a week.”

     Chanyeol puts a hand over his heart. “Since when was loving you a crime?”

     Baekhyun chuckles, the lights strung up over the window reflecting in his eyes. “Go on, play for me then.”

     It’s probably the millionth time that Chanyeol’s picked up his guitar for Baekhyun, yet he feels like they’ve just fallen in love again tonight, back in the era of hover-hands and awkward half-cuddles. He strums the first chord, clearing his throat. He plays through the lines, somewhat shakily, and though Baekhyun knows he can do much better the smile never falters on his lips.

     “You wrote that?” Baekhyun smiles. The unevenness of his upper lip is more apparent in this dim light, but it doesn’t make him any less perfect.

     “I did.”

     “Here, I have a better song.” Baekhyun motions to Chanyeol. “Pass me the guitar.”

     “You’re not good at guitar.”

     “Well you too.” Chanyeol hands over the guitar anyway, and Baekhyun takes it, strumming a few chords. Chanyeol immediately recognizes the melody as I’m Yours by Jason Mraz. “So are you conceding? Is Jason Mraz better than Michael Bublé?”

     “No, he’s not,” says Baekhyun somewhat exasperatedly. “That Christmas album takes it away, and that’s my final standing.” Baekhyun continues strumming. “Now shh.”

     Chanyeol rolls his eyes, sitting on the couch, allowing Mr. Muffin to jump on his lap, and turns back to his phone and opens flappy bird. He’s listening, quite intently, which explains his current high score of 5, but he just doesn’t want to let Baekhyun know how much he really missed him.

     Baekhyun begins to sing the lyrics, and Chanyeol’s eyes flutter closed. He didn’t realize how much, among the things he did miss, he missed Baekhyun’s singing voice. Baekhyun had always been much more of a singer than Chanyeol. Without Baekhyun, Chanyeol wouldn’t even be mediocre. Baekhyun’s voice is soothing, soft, and though Chanyeol can easily spot the mistakes in his guitar playing it all blends together seamlessly (plus it’s kind of cute to see Baekhyun scrunch up his face and fiddle with the fingerboard.)

     Baekhyun strums the last chord, and Chanyeol’s allowing the music to wash around him completely, flappy bird forgotten. He smiles and nods, eyes still closed. “Wah, that was good, Baekhyun.”

     Baekhyun doesn’t respond, and after a moment Chanyeol opens his eyes.

     Baekhyun’s sitting at the guitar, watching him, eyes glimmering with tears.

     “Hey…” Chanyeol sits up. “What’s wrong?”

     “N-nothing.” Baekhyun turns away, wiping his eyes. “Sorry, it’s just…nothing. Sorry.” He laughs quietly, blinking a few times. “Just got a little emotional for a second.”

     “That happy to see me?” Chanyeol jokes. Baekhyun, after a second, nods. “Yeah, actually.” He sets down the guitar, and Chanyeol sits up a little bit, scooting over on the couch and inviting Baekhyun to lay down with him.

     What he doesn’t expect is Baekhyun getting down on one knee and opening a velvet box with a glimmering diamond ring in the center. Baekhyun takes a big, shaky breath, smiling softly as he sees Chanyeol’s jaw drop.

     “I’m yours, Chanyeol…will you be mine?”

     Chanyeol sits there on the couch, completely immobile, completely stunned, completely unbelieving.

     Completely in love.

     “Don’t keep the suspense too long, Yeol. I’m practically dying here.” Baekhyun chuckles shakily, tears streaming freely now down his cheeks. The wind whispers by the window, carrying waves of swirling snowflakes that dust the window. The candles flicker, casting warm light onto both of their faces as Chanyeol stares there in wonder.

     He always thought he would be the one to pop the question. He imagined some summer picnic, in which he’d dramatically get down on one knee and say something cheesy and probably stupid, and Baekhyun would be caught incredibly off guard and burst into tears. He’d carry Baekhyun back to the car bridal style and it would be the best day of his life.

     Today, he’s the one who’s been caught off guard and about to burst into tears. He feels the warm wetness rising in his eyes and when he closes them, droplets rain down on his cheeks to match Baekhyun’s. Mr. Muffin meows indignantly, wanting to be petted more.

     It’s still probably the best day of his life, though.