Letter

The Wave

 

Read carefully, Mingyu. There is something I never told you because I wanted to protect you but it’s time for you to know this. I wanted to tell you this in person but it was too late for me. It’s not because you were late, maybe I just called you too late. The reason why I escaped the orphanage when I was 5 is because I realized I wasn’t like the rest of them. I wasn’t a normal kid and I hated it. I would never be entertained with what the other kids used to play with and I was always aggressive. I’d never be satisfied with the amount of food they gave us and would have to cook by myself something all the time. I told you this already but I didn’t tell you there’s a reason for this. I’m not a common human. I… I’m not even a human, Mingyu. And you aren’t too. We’re not common people. I felt this since the first time I met you. I felt… the attraction. A unique and especial attraction between us. And there is a reason for that too. Because we’re both the same class. I knew they were right about this when they sent me to you. We’re werewolves.

But there’s one difference between you and I. I didn’t come to this world like you did. I didn’t have a father or a mother to take care of me because of one simple reason: I’m a failed laboratory experiment.

You might find this laughable but it’s the truth. I was created in a laboratory right after The Wave hit the planet. I wanted to tell you this before but I could never get it to words and I was scared that they might hurt you because you knew about this too, because no one is allowed to know this. It’s not important how I got to learn about our natures but believe my words.

I’m not sure if you’ve heard about this before but that’s what we are. Werewolves are supposed to turn into wolves once they see the full moon but of course, since there’s no such thing in our world, we can’t convert.

The reason why I’m leaving you is because they are trying to rebuild the moon. Yes, you read correctly. They have had a piece of the moon for years now and they were trying to rebuild it during all these years and told me that when they got it done, I had to go back to the laboratory and help them with the experiments. A few days ago, they came for me and told me I had to go back to them. Apparently, they’ve found a purpose for me. I’m going to be useful for once, Mingyu. They said they’re going to restore the initial objective I was created for. I’m not going to be just a useless piece of trash anymore.

So Mingyu, please don’t blame yourself for this. This isn’t your fault. This is just the life we got to live. This is what we’re supposed to do in the world. The people you always sent those packages to are werewolves. That’s why it had to be either you or me to deliver them. Because a werewolf can feel the connection with one another and those people are experienced and powerful werewolves. Because they’re like you, they aren’t laboratory rats like me. They’re pure werewolves like you, Mingyu. And now it’s time for you to go to them and trust them. I have to go but they’ll take care of you.

Please, see me as your hyung for once and believe my words. Go to the last guy you sent the package to. His name is Choi Seungcheol. He will know who you are just by looking at you. Pay attention to what they teach you and don’t look for me. I’m of no use for you anymore.

Live a good life, Mingyu.

Your hyung, Wonwoo.