The Art of Writing Fanfiction

The Art of Writing Fanfiction

It's Taemin that gets the idea first. He's lying in his bed, searching through the internet when he comes across a Jongkey fanfiction. Taemin always knew that fans wrote about them, fiction and books and stuff like that, hell he even knows that Twilight was a fanfiction in the beginning, but he never actually made an effort to find it. This, however, was just an accident and he squirms with laughter while he read through Jonghyun and Key's awkward relationship in words. It's too funny to let go of so he finds the most disturbing scene of Key ing Jonghyun in the and sends it to them both, well-knowing that they'll both be thoroughly disturbed, before he flops onto his back and stares into his ceiling. Two minutes later he gets the most amazing idea and two very angry messages from his band members. He ignores his two band members in favor of Jongin and texts the latter.

They meet up 30 minutes later in front of a café bundled up in padded jackets and scarfs. They find a table in the café and orders two cups of black coffee neither of them is going to drink, but it was the cheapest on the menu and it's good for warming their hands. Jongin says nothing but raises his eyebrow in question and Taemin sends him a wide smile.

"So, I was thinking..." he says and then gets interrupted when their waiter brings their coffee to the table. They both notice the looks she gives them as if to make sure that the two young men in front of her really is idols. She leaves them with a 'please enjoy your drink' but it's painfully obvious that she wants to say more. Taemin turns his attention back to Jongin as he wraps his cold fingers around his coffee. Jongin's fingers are also already resting on the coffee in front of him. "So, as I was saying, I was thinking. I just accidentally stumbled upon a fanfiction of Jonghyun-hyung and Kibum-hyung and ..." Jongin interrupts him before he gets to continue.

"I don't want to know what sick thing you read about." Taemin huffs in offense.

"That's not what I meant. Let's write our own fanfic." He grins when he locks eyes with Jongin, who honestly doesn't seem very impressed with Taemin's genius idea. "You don't understand," he continues. "We could write the best fanfiction ever, show all our fans the true colors of our band members." And then slowly it dawns on Jongin and he smirks as well.

"Let's do it," Jongin says and rises from his chair, his coffee untouched and Taemin grins wide when he joins the younger and leaves the café.

 

It's 2 AM when they reach the EXO dorm and enters. Most of Jongin's members are asleep it seems but that doesn't stop the two idols from racing into the kitchen, Jongin lightly pushing Taemin away from the refrigerator causing the older to scoot on his socketed feet and almost fall into the counter. When Taemin sends him a glare, Jongin just smirks and throws a banana milk Taemin's way. Taemin eases up into a smile when he catches the drink before he scoots his way into the living room, plopping down in their couch. Jongin joins him a little later, plate of fried chicken in his hand.

"I'll get my computer," he says before he retreats into his room. Taemin leans over and snatches a piece of chicken he can snack on and smiles when the other comes back. It takes a minute before Jongin has the computer and they're both staring at a blank screen. "Okay, so who do we write about?" he asks and Taemin bites his lower lip while he thinks.

"Who do we want to expose a little?" he grins and Jongin mirrors his grin.

"Suho-hyung," he says without hesitation. Taemin his finger to remove the grease of the chicken and nods. Suho-hyung is a good choice.

"Then how about Minho-hyung as well?" he proposes and there's a mischievous glint in his eyes that shows that he knows secrets. Jongin just shrugs and nods. Minho-hyung is fine by him. They enter the internet to check out fanfiction when they realize that they have absolutely no idea how to write a story. A google search shows them more than they had ever dreamt of finding. Jongin widens his eyes, Taemin grins mischievously at the sight of the hits. It turns out that Suho and Minho fics are not as popular as they could have thought but this doesn't face them. Jongin scrunches up his nose when they come across as Kaisoo fanfiction and Taemin starts laughing. "This is the funniest ever!" he wheezes in between fits of laughter and fights for the computer to read the Kaisoo fanfiction. Jongin is quicker though and is soon on a Jongtae fanfiction. This time it's his turn to laugh while Taemin scans the content of the fanfiction. "Ew," he utters. "Jonghyun-hyung is so not my style." Jongin makes a sound in mock-agreement but Taemin decides to ignore him.

"So what are we writing?" he asks Taemin five minutes later when the other is done browsing through the fanfiction universe they have found. Taemin shrugs a little and leans back in the couch. Jongin finishes his chicken and crosses his legs on the couch as he turns to look at Taemin.

"It seems it's popular with two boys fighting over a girl and the girl has to choose." Jongin nods a little. That makes sense. It also seems relatively easy to write. Taemin pouts a little in thought before he hands the computer back to Jongin. "If we write something sci-fi then I don't think they'll ever be able to guess that it's us!" The smile of triumph that graces both their lips are enough of agreement so sci-fi it is.

"So, like, a princess and there's two aliens fighting over her?" Jongin asks and Taemin widens in eyes in shock.

"What the , no man. No. More like two space station in war."

"That sounds like Star Wars," Jongin deadpans and Taemin huffs.

"Okay then, find something more fitting, smartass." Jongin just eyes his best friend before he turns to his computer, trying to find something that could be fitting of a sci-fi fanfiction.

"Okay, how about ..." He pauses dramatically for extra effect. "The girl gets stuck in virtual reality world and has to face her fears to get free. And Minho-hyung and Suho-hyung is supposed to help her but they fall in love with her while they help her and then when she's about to return she can only bring one of them with her and has to leave the other behind." Taemin gapes when Jongin finishes talking.

"How did you come up with that?" he asks and Jongin smirks.

"I'm a smartass, remember." Taemin groans and pushes Jongin lightly on the shoulder. Jongin just chuckles. After another five minutes Jongin begins to write. They haven't really discussed anymore but he thinks he's got a pretty solid idea. Taemin lays his head on Jongin's shoulder and relaxes. That is until Jongin begins to describe the girl. Taemin scrunches up his nose when he steals the computer from Jongin, straightens up and deletes what Jongin had just been writing about brown hair and brown eyes and cute facial features. "Dude?" Jongin questions and Taemin ignores him as he stares at the computer screen. Taemin takes a little longer to get started with his writing but when he does, he feels like his fingers is ing flying over the keyboard. Taemin has to admit that he's pretty good at this writing-thing. Jongin, however, does not agree. He doesn't say anything though. Instead he gets up and into the kitchen to find them a coke. When he comes back he notices that Taemin has started to describe the virtual world their main character enters. "Please, you're doing it wrong," Jongin says and scowls. Taemin ignores him in favor of continuing writing a sentence. Jongin peeks over Taemin's shoulder 30 seconds later when his scowl didn't give him the reaction he wanted. "What?! no!" he shouts when he notices Taemin's description of their OC. "She's not Medusa!" Taemin turns around on the couch to glare at Jongin, who now holds the computer, pressing the delete button furiously.

"Says who?! It's fiction Jongin! Give me the computer!" He reaches for the computer but Jongin lifts it above his head, out of reach and Taemin glares at him. "Okay, have any better ideas?" Jongin lowers his arm and places the computer in his lap and starts writing about a girl with white hair and purple eyes. Taemin rolls his eyes and places his hands in front of the computer screen, obscurring Jongin's view. It's only when he gets Jongin's attention that Jongin notices the furrowed eyebrows. "White hair and purple eyes. Really?" Jongin raises a judging eyebrow but Taemin also ignores this.

"Did you see yourself with your half-blonde, half-purple hair? If this is not possible then that was a disaster for sure." Taemin harrumps and turns his back to Jongin completely.

 

Jongin nudges Taemin about 30 minutes later when he needs help to introduce Minho. It's not that Jongin doesn't know Minho, of course he knows. It's just that it's Taemin who knows all the dirty details and thus it will be if Taemin writes that part. Taemin takes the computer from Jongin with a fake sniff and Jongin completely ignores him. There's silent for another 5 minutes until a stomach growls.

"Hey, you want something to eat?" Taemin asks and turns around to look at Jongin, who nods. None of them is really sure whose stomach it was that growled, but they both know that they're hungry. Taemin finishes his part with Minho while Jongin buys food. When Jongin reads through Taemin's part he laughs out loud and a door opens somewhere down the hall. When they look up they find a glaring Kyungsoo at them and Taemin snickers and whispers 'Kaisoo' into Jongin's ear, which has the other growling in annoyance. Taemin feels weirdly accomplished even when Jongin races him to the door to open and wins. It's 3.45 AM and they're pigging out while they're writing on their fanfiction. This is the best idea Taemin has ever gotten and he's quite sure that the fans is going to love it. Hell, Taemin loves it already. Jongin finishes his food first and steals from Taemin when Taemin gets the best plot twist.

"Hey..." he says and nudges Jongin. "Hey, I just got like the best idea for a plot twist! What if Minho-hyung and Suho-hyung actually falls in love so when she chooses they rejects her and she has to travel back alone to the human world?" Jongin looks at Taemin with an open mouth for a few seconds before Taemin closes it with a finger and mutters an 'ew, you're eating'.

"That's like ... the worst ever. I love it, let's do it," Jongin confirms and starts writing again. Taemin gets the computer 20 minutes later to continue the story. He's beginning to feel tired but this is too much fun to stop doing and he would lie if he said he didn't incorporate a few of Minho's secrets. It's not like the fans are going to believe the story anyway. It's just fiction, right? Taemin is pretty sure that Jongin has incorporated a few of Suho's secrets as well. After all that was the reason they even began this project. 

 

When they finishes their story (an impressive 3548 words) later it's 6.32 AM and they're both tired. Jongin lies on the couch while Taemin lies on top of him. They're not sleeping but it's close enough. The story is uploaded under pseudonym T43K41. It's Minseok that wakes up first and he smiles when he sees the two younger boys on the couch and shakes his head. When he curiously peeks at Jongin's computer he notices the 45 subscribers the story already has and he an eyebrow in confusion. Why is Jongin on a fanfiction website and why are there subscribers? He shrugs it off though before he retreats to the kitchen. Taemin arrives home later when EXO has to leave for a schedule and he doesn't want to stay over. He answers Key's furious messages and showers before he, too, leaves for a schedule with SHINee. He forgets their fanfiction soon after.

 

~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: Sorry it's sort of short. Also - the ending but I didn't know what to write. I may rewrite some other time, idk. For now, this is what it is. 2ho and Taekai because the world needs more.