Chapter 3

Little One

“When will you return?” Baekhyun asked, sitting down by his friend and handing him a package of leftover food he’d smuggled from the Village Circle, wrapped in the largest tree leaves he could find.

“Can I ever?” Jongin asked in return. He looked up from his reflection in the water and gingerly took the bundle of food from Baekhyun’s hands. It’d been nearly three weeks since that totem had fallen from the sky, and very few times had Jongin let go of it. He hadn’t the slightest idea why, but it brought comfort to hold.

“Your only other option is remaining in this circle in the woods for all eternity, wasting away with nothing left, even if I were to bring you food each day,” Baekhyun told him, trying to mask the irritation growing in his voice. The Jongin he knew, had known in childhood was not one to run. He knew Jongin was stronger than he showed, stronger than he was allowed to be. Before losing his mother and father, Jongin- though still an outcast- was brave and filled with an energetic fire that had drawn Baekhyun to him. But that fire was not to last, and Baekhyun personally watched it leave his friend’s eyes as a group of alphas informed him and his father of his mother’s death. 

That was six years ago, and Jongin never regained even a spark of that fire. The pack only made that worse, the abuse ordered and lead by The Alpha himself, now Jongin’s very mate. Since acquiring his totem, Jongin had become even more of a shell than before. Baekhyun remained as patient as possible, but there was a limit to even that. He’d no idea how long or how much it would take for Jongin, his childhood companion, to come back to him, but he refused to let him sit in his clearing and decay.

“You must return Jongin. You have to,” Baekhyun urged the younger. Jongin gave no reply, only continued to nervously wring his hands around the dark form of his totem, letting his thumb linger over the crescent moon on its side.

Baekhyun sighed before tilting his head and ordering, “give me the totem, Jongin.”

The latter’s head shot toward his friend before he responded, “no. N-no, Baekhyun… you can’t touch it.” Baekhyun had to bite his lip to hide his smile.  

“Why can’t I touch it?” Baekhyun asked, hoping this would be enough to get Jongin to finally come to his senses.

“B-because… you’ll… you’ll get burned,” Jongin whispered with clouded eyes.

“Then why can you touch it?” Baekhyun asked again. Jongin raised his head to Baekhyun, and it only took a moment for his eyes to flash gold. Jongin’s eyes hadn’t flashed gold since they were children, when Baekhyun had snatched from him the rag doll that his mother made for him. It was an assertion of dominance for a wolf’s eyes to become gold in colour, and Baekhyun’s heart burned for the moments in which Jongin broke free of his insecurity, even if it was only for a moment. But those moments were enough to prove to Baekhyun why the boy before him was fit to be The Great Omega, a leader above all others… if only Jongin could understand that, himself.

Yet, here Jongin was, golden irises piercing through Baekhyun with a poignant stare, as if to censure his friend for suggesting something so foolish.

“Do not play stupid, Baekhyun,” Jongin ordered with a tone in his voice that Baekhyun had almost forgotten existed. “You know I am the only wolf who can touch this totem-”

Baekhyun could not hold his tongue with the pride that swelled in his chest. “Because you are The Great Omega.” The elder waited for realization to dawn on his friend’s face, for his pride to have a reason to boast its ego only further. Jongin’s own momentary burst of pride, however, choked back down to nothingness, as the omega’s eyes widened then dulled once more. All Baekhyun could do was sigh.

Dropping down to one knee, he held out his hand for his friend to take, but Jongin recoiled at the advance. “Jongin-” the younger did not even raise his head. Baekhyun sighed once more before continuing, “at least come with me to meet Minseok. He is bringing more food for today and any news he has.” Even that produced no response from the boy.

“He misses you greatly, Jongin. Minseok… he wishes to see you.”

Jongin’s gaze remained toward the ground, but he whispered, “a friend of The Alpha.” Baekhyun shook his head and took Jongin’s hand, whether he accepted it or not.  

“A friend of ours. He is kind, Jongin, you know this yourself. You trusted him before I did, and he trusts you. Come with me Jongin, only to see Minseok.” There was silence, so much silence Baekhyun wondered if Jongin had even listened to him, but he waited nonetheless. 

After what seemed like hours, Jongin finally raised his head.

***

“Minseok,” Baekhyun called as they trekked through the trees, Jongin not having to lift his head with how well he knew this path. Neither boy had spoken the entire way to the spot they were to meet Minseok, and though silence between the two was usually comforting, this silence was unnerving, as if at any moment the lack of noises would suffocate them both.

Minseok was waiting for them with a small satchel thrown over his shoulder containing more food than Jongin had been granted leave to eat in his entire life. Jongin sat and ate, consuming nearly a third of it and saving the rest for later on, while his two companions spoke quietly to each other. Jongin tried to pay it no attention, but he couldn’t help the faint feeling of betrayal that crept up on him. Baekhyun was his friend, his only friend, and he was choosing to speak to this new omega rather than to Jongin.

He instantly felt selfish. Jongin knew the two omegas only cared about him, that everything they’d done in recent days, they’d done for him. He knew also, that Minseok and Baekhyun were both pulling themselves so thin, he could see dark marks beneath their eyes. Jongin told himself he had no right to feel betrayed; the men before him would do anything for their friend.

Another few minutes passed in silence before Minseok looked to Jongin, then dropped his head. “You should come back, Omega. The pack is restless,” Minseok said, voice taut with hesitation. Jongin’s stomach dropped. He knew Baekhyun had another reason for bringing him to see the elder omega. Minseok’s next words only made his stomach turn more violently. 

“Yixing is restless.”

Jongin lifted his eyes to Minseok and voiced the only question he could think to ask. “Why?” 

Minseok looked almost insulted at the question. He sat back on his heels and stared Jongin down with hard, but pleading eyes. “Why? Why- because he's your mate Jongin,” the elder exclaimed, while Baekhyun dropped his head beside him, the latter having told Jongin this innumerable times before. Minseok continued, “it doesn't matter what he says, you are his omega. The pack needs their Omega, they have for eighteen years. There are things an Alpha cannot do, Jongin, things only you are capable of. And Yixing... if he loses proximity with his mate for long enough, that restlessness will turn to pain. For both of you. It will increase until neither of you can stand the distance and are forced back together, or -if you're so stubborn as your alpha- it will destroy you both.”  

Jongin knew there was truth to that; he’d already begun to feel that discomfort himself, and in recent days it had become somewhat painful, but he’d denied the cause until he had to face it head on. He hoped that day would never come, but it seemed more and more inevitable that he had to return to the pack. Still, Jongin held out as long as he could. If he was to return, it would only be when he could remain in the safety of his clearing no longer.  

“I can’t, Minseok,” Jongin said, his voice quivering. Minseok had never taken a harsh tone with The Omega since they’d met nearly two moons ago, but the elder was losing his patience. Minseok felt it was his duty to keep order in the universe if he was so able, and he’d be damned if he let this boy, no matter how weak he assumed himself to be, ruin the fate of the pack’s existence.

“Why? Why Jongin? What is it that holds you back? Is it your stubbornness, your vanity, your fear-”

Jongin finally relented, standing from his spot on the ground and letting go of the solid grip he had on his totem. “Yes, Minseok, I’m afraid!” Baekhyun lifted his eyes toward his friend, wide with fear, as he watched The Omega back himself toward a tree, shaking his head back and forth, as if to clear his mind of everything around him. Minseok stood as well, shortly followed by Baekhyun, who stayed back by the tree nearest to him. Minseok was bolder than he.

“I’m afraid Minseok. What would lead you to believe I'm not?” Minseok stepped forward to interject, but Jongin wouldn’t allow him. “In the presence of the man you call my alpha, I've felt nothing but pain. Under his direction, his order, my life has never been safe. And now... what will happen if I return?” Jongin was near to tears, remembering the pain in his side as he was kicked to the road. Not nearly the first or last bout of pain he’d ever feel from that man… Yixing

Minseok advanced again, this time much slower so as to not frighten his friend. Baekhyun watched them in silence. “I’ve told you before, Jongin, they cannot kill you, for Yixing himself would be ruined by your death.”

Jongin’s red, shimmering eyes widened in panicked rage as he shot his hand in the direction of camp. “Tell them that!”

Minseok’s silence was louder than Jongin’s outcry.

Silence that was broken by Baekhyun’s timid voice, speaking up for the first time. “Please, Jongin. Nothing good can come from you staying here.”

“Nothing good can come from me returning,” the youngest replied darkly.

“For you, or for the pack?” Minseok asked him. Jongin didn’t want to answer, so he evaded.

“Sehun has had no problem leading them effec-” Jongin began, the denial seeming to chip away the more his friends spoke.

“Sehun is not The Omega!” The fury in Minseok’s eyes was evident with a simple glance. Jongin looked up at him, and cowered back from his gaze alone. The Minseok that Baekhyun and Jongin had come to know seemed to have somewhat disappeared, and left behind a strong, upright omega, who could not be swayed. The eldest took three strides and left little space between him and Jongin, as he gripped Jongin’s arms and stared into his eyes, with his own- now red- irises. “Sehun…” Minseok growled, tone low and filled with fire. “Sehun is not The Omega.”

Jongin was afraid of Minseok now, but this fear was different from the fear he felt around Zitao, or the village children, or The Alpha himself. He was not afraid that Minseok would hurt him, but that he would be able to persuade Jongin to return with him.

“Look at that totem, Jongin. That totem fell into your hands, not Sehun’s, yours. You might very well be afraid, but I am too. I’m afraid that our pack will wither away without an Omega, our Omega. The moon has made it clear as the sky above our heads that our Omega is not, and never will be Sehun.”

He dropped his eyes toward the small, wooden wolf on the ground by Baekhyun’s feet and nodded his head to it, causing Jongin to look for himself. He did not move, but his eyes remained locked on that totem only he was capable of touching.

“Now, you must accept this, Jongin. If you do not… no. There is not another option. No ultimatum. You must accept this, Jongin.” Minseok took his time stepping forward, before placing his hand on Jongin’s shoulder as he stopped behind him. “The moon knew what she was doing in creating you, and for some reason, though we know it or not, she formed you to lead this pack.”

“By the side of a man who wants me dead,” Jongin’s voice was quivering with his lips as he spoke.

Minseok moved his hand down to Jongin’s shoulder blade and stepped forward so the young omega could see him. “It may be so now, but there is a reason, a purpose for this, Jongin. If you do not return, you never know what might change.”

Jongin still wasn’t convinced. “And what if nothing changes, Minseok? What if I am nothing more than the runt for the rest of m-” Jongin’s speech was interrupted by a sharp cry as he dropped to his knees, clutching his side, his eyes shut tightly. Baekhyun moved to drop beside his friend, but Minseok held up his hand to stop him.

“It has been three weeks, Omega. This is only the beginning; the pain starts now and will only continue to grow. How much more of this do you imagine you can take?”

Jongin had recollected himself and Baekhyun reached to help him stand, before The Omega said through his teeth, “as much as it takes.”

Minseok raised his eyebrows. “As much as it takes until what? Until you die?”

“Minseok-”

“Jongin,” the elder interrupted. “Look at yourself.” Jongin did, then lifted his head with resigned eyes. “You must come back.”

And all at once, as he turned his gaze toward the small wooden wolf with the red crescent moon etched into its side, he knew it was true. Jongin knew, as he remembered the pain he’d just felt- unlike any pain he’d endured before- and knowing that it would just get worse, that he had no other choice; he would experience pain no matter where he was. But he knew also that Minseok had made a point that Jongin couldn’t easily argue; no one but the moon knew what would happen in the future, and the moon did not make wolves only to have them mindlessly killed off without first fulfilling a purpose. As afraid as Jongin was, he knew he had to trust Minseok’s words… for the fate of the pack now rested on his shoulders.

So, Jongin shut his eyes and nodded his head, as he let out a quiet, “alright.” Baekhyun’s own eyes widened at Minseok in relief and amazement. Baekhyun knew he alone could not have convinced Jongin to return, and was astonished at Minseok’s ability to persuade.  

“Alright, Minseok. Let’s… let’s return…”

***

Minseok was right about one thing; Jongin’s pain began to recede the closer they came to camp. He knew why, but elected to put it from his mind. It wasn’t his proximity to the camp that was easing the discomfort, but his proximity to The Alpha. Trying not to think of it, however, proved futile as they continued their trek.

With each step he took, Jongin’s pain lessened further, and he couldn’t help marveling at the irony of it; The Alpha, with his cold eyes and threatening presence- who had brought nothing to Jongin’s life but pain- was clearly the only thing in this life or the next that could calm the agony that The Omega was experiencing.

Jongin thought, also, of the unfamiliarity of this pain… it was not brought on by the hand of man or wolf. It was pain not caused or ordered by The Alpha.

But Yixing would hardly protest to stop his omega’s suffering.

Almost the full of ten years ago was Jongin’s first memory of The Alpha. He’d been leading the pack well for eight years, and Jongin knew The Alpha was a man his mother and father admired as a chief, a commander of hundreds at such a young age. Jongin, as well, admired him from afar. The boy was strong and able, respected by all wolves around him, and there was many a time when Jongin vowed to grow as strong as The Alpha was. It was times such as those where his father would sit him down in their tent and remind him of the purpose and abilities of an omega that differed from the alphas, though his mother would simply smile and laugh and assure her son that he could be as fearless and strong as he desired.

Lost in the memories of a happier time in his life, Jongin hardly noticed his two companions stop to catch their breath, as they’d been walking for near an hour without rest. Jongin wandered toward a nearby tree to wait until the two were ready before continuing on.

Minseok slung his bag back over his shoulder, then went on a few paces ahead of them and Jongin quickened his stride to match Baekhyun’s. He walked close, enough for Baekhyun to hear his whispers.

“Baekhyun.”

The other hummed in acknowledgment.

“Minseok… do you trust him?”

“Do I have reason not to?”

Jongin thought for a moment. “I don’t know… Do you?”

“Jongin-”

“Can we trust his intentions, Baekhyun? He is a friend of Yixing’s.”

Baekhyun was not in a position to give Jongin the answers he was looking for. He did trust Minseok, because he knew the elder was right.

“Yes, Jongin, I trust him. I trust him and every word he says, because I agree with him. You must return. You’ve no other choice.”

“But-” And the look Baekhyun gave him was enough to silence Jongin for the rest of their journey.

Eventually they could see they edge of the forest, where the line of trees ended and the camp began. Jongin tried to control his staggered breathing, but it did little to help. Baekhyun seemed to be able to tell something was wrong, and he took Jongin’s hand, asking “pain?” Jongin shook his head.

“No… no, but the closer we get, the more the pain is replaced by fear.”

“I will not let him touch you,” they heard from ahead of them, as they finally cleared the trees. The words sent anger into Jongin’s heart, knowing the truth behind them was not as strong as the words themselves.

“What will you do, Minseok?” he challenged. “He is The Alpha. There is nothing you could do if he wanted to bring me harm.”

Minseok, however, stood obstinate as he stepped before Jongin, and lifted his hand to the small omega’s cheek.

“I will not let him touch you.”

They could see the Village Circle from where they stood, and Baekhyun was the first to ask the question they all wanted an answer to. “Where is he?”

Minseok shook his head, but Jongin replied, “he is in his tent.” Both men looked at him with curious eyes.

“How do you know?” Baekhyun asked. Jongin shook his head.

“I just… know.” Jongin did not understand how he knew either. But, there was no doubt that if he were to approach The Alpha’s tent, he would find the man there.

Baekhyun looked to Minseok for an answer, when Jongin could produce none. “I don’t know, Baekhyun. The bond between mates is a curious thing.” Then he remembered, “ah, Jongin… the pain. How is it now?”

“Gone. It is completely gone. It’s as if it were never…” Jongin’s voiced trailed and his eyes glazed over as he spoke.

“Jongin? Jongin, what is it?”

“He knows I’m here.”

***

“Don’t you think the scouts should have been back by now?”

“You know as well as I, Sehun, that they will take as much time as they need,” The Alpha said, directing his focus back to the map of the mountains he had rested on a wooden log that he often used as a table. He’d been in his tent for days staring at that map, examining it as if it would change slightly if he were to look away. Yixing might’ve forgotten to eat if Sehun hadn’t dragged him from the tent every night to take his meal. “Zitao and Chanyeol are leading them. Those two are much more thorough than any trackers I’ve sent in the past. We need as large of a range scouted as possible this year.” Without lifting his gaze from the painted cloth he was examining, Yixing beckoned Sehun over with a crook of his finger.

“Look,” he instructed the omega, pointing a finger at several dots and lines painted along the map. Sehun could tell these marks were newer than the others, as they were brighter than the faded streaks beside them. “Many of the mountain packs have separated in order to collect and share greater resources. They have dispersed along the ridges and the streams, creating six additional camps that will be joining us at The Hunt.”

Sehun raked his eyes over the hatches and painted lines before he lifted them to look at Yixing; The Alpha himself, unfocused. Yixing was blinking rapidly, something the omega had noticed him doing very often in recent days.

“The pain again?”

“No,” Yixing responded. “No, the pain has all but disappeared. This is… different. It is not so much pain as it is inanition…”

Sehun stepped closer, resting his palm over Yixing’s knuckles, clenched so tightly around the lip of the wood that they blanched against the faded white of the map. “How do you mean?” he asked, tone low and cautious.

There was a pause before Yixing shook his head, waving the younger’s hand off of his own. “It is nothing,” he said, and he once again turned toward the map, though any hope The Alpha had had of being able to focus was lost- there were far too many hindrances flooding his thoughts. Once more, Yixing whispered “It is nothing…”

Sehun nodded and met Yixing’s eyes as he asked, “I am to join The Hunt this year as well?”

Yixing looked taken aback by the question. “Of course. You’ve not missed a Hunt since you came of age.”

“That is true… I’d just thought that with-”

“With what?” Yixing raised his head from the map, and the look in his eyes sent a chill through Sehun’s bones.

“With nothing, Yixing. Nothing,” They both knew what Sehun had been meaning to say. They would not speak of it.

“Six additional packs?” the omega asked, hoping to divert their conversation.

“Yes. See here, the darker lines near the river? These-”

Both wolves raised their heads as the flap of The Alpha’s tent was pushed aside, one of the pack’s more well known alphas standing in alarm at the entrance.

“Youngho… what is it? What happened?” Yixing could tell by the expression on the alpha’s face that the news wasn’t good.

With bated breath, clearly from having run from the opposite side of camp, Youngho managed to relay his two words.

“He’s returned.”

***

Jongin knew, without so much as a second guess, that The Alpha was heading straight toward the tree line, where he and his two companions stood, waiting. The Omega, however, had no desire in him to await any unpleasantry he would face once The Alpha appeared.

“Minseok, can we be anywhere but here?” he asked the elder, earning himself a curious look.

“You do not think you should speak with him?” Jongin felt affronted by that. Had Minseok gone mad?

“Do you think I should?” Minseok spoke as if a simple conversation with The Alpha would bring all peace to Jongin, Yixing, and every other wolf within a thousand mile radius.

“What could be the harm in it?” Baekhyun asked him, and Jongin’s skin crawled at the humor laced through his friend’s voice.

“You think that now is the time for jokes?” the youngest growled. Baekhyun recoiled and assured him that he was only trying to ease the fear from Jongin’s mind, but at that moment, not even a totem appearing before him could have distracted him enough to ease the fear at Jongin’s skin, his bones, clinging to his every thought. The Alpha was growing closer, and the reality that Jongin would not come from this encounter unscathed was daunting.

In seconds, every hair on Jongin’s body stood at its end, lightning seemed to course through his veins, and he had to fight every instinct within him that was begging, screaming to transform, to let his wolf out to take over. He’d always felt safer as a wolf, stronger as a wolf, less vulnerable. If Jongin suffered anything at that moment, it was vulnerability.

He felt The Alpha before he saw him, smelled him even before that. His scent was sharp, and bold, stronger than any other wolf’s scent he’d met with before. But more than just strength, The Alpha’s scent was compelling to Jongin. He smelled of juniper and pine, of the smoking wood of a raging fire, and something unique- a smell he couldn’t distinguish, but he knew without a doubt was exclusively Yixing. He’d never remembered the scent of this wolf being so mesmerizing and captivating, yet Jongin found himself stepping forward, lost in the growing aroma that seemed to pull him from the reality around him.

Until he was dragged back to the world by a hand on his arm, Minseok taking a step in front of him, as the trio watched The Alpha emerge from a cluster of tents near the Village Circle. After taking one look at him, Minseok knew that Yixing was not in a mood to be tried.

“I was wrong Jongin. Do not speak to him,” Minseok whispered to the child at his back.

“But-”

“I will receive him. Just do as I say, Omega,” he ordered again.

“But, Minseok-”

“Please, Jongin. Yixing is my friend. He will listen to me…” Minseok didn’t sound as sure as his words, but Jongin and Baekhyun- who stood beside Jongin, clutching his arm- had no choice but to believe him.

It seemed like years before he finally approached, and Jongin tensed the moment he stepped within a foot of them. Jongin’s wolf was screaming now and he didn’t know how to handle the feeling. He wanted to run, to hide, to be anywhere but there- his entire body burning with an instinct he’d never felt. He knew it must have something to do with proximity to mate, but he didn’t like it, knowing very well that his mate had set out to harm him.

And the moment he spoke, something in Jongin fell to pieces.

“Why did you come back?”

He was looking over Minseok to the runt behind him, a hard set to his eyes.

With the eyes of The Alpha, his alpha, boring into him, Jongin couldn’t think clearly enough to process a coherent response, and let out a stuttered, “I… I-” Minseok gripped his wrist tighter, silencing him. The elder had ordered him not to talk, just to do as he was told, but Jongin had so desperately wanted to answer The Alpha’s question, if for no other reason than to prove he was bold enough to stand in his presence without cowering in fear. If this man was to be his partner for life, then Jongin wanted to seem as just that- a partner. He only wished his body would obey his longing for bravery.

But it was not to be, and Jongin felt another tremor overcome him, as The Alpha ignored Minseok planted in front of him, and continued to burn his gaze into the youngest. Jongin felt, but could not register the holds of both Minseok and Baekhyun tighten around his forearms, the only thing his senses could perceive being the towering man before him. The man scoffed and continued speaking, making sure all three men heard him clear.

“You have no place here, runt. In this camp, in this pack, in my sight… it would be in your best interest to leave now, leave and never return,” The Alpha sneered at the boy. There was an obvious threat in those words, and Jongin wanted nothing more than to turn and run for the hills, run for his clearing and live out his days there, in those trees where he would be free from pain. Or would he?

Jongin heard a low snarl from his left, before Baekhyun whispered, “speaking as if you care about his best interest.”

For the slightest moment, something in The Alpha’s eyes changed, softened as if he’d been affected by Baekhyun’s words, before the harsh glare rested once again upon Jongin. Yixing opened his mouth to speak, but Minseok was quicker.

“What place do I have in this pack, Alpha?”

Yixing blinked, once, twice before narrowing his eyes at Minseok and providing an answer. “You are a gatherer, Minseok. None can find as many berries as you.” The Alpha knew what his friend was doing, distracting him from the runt, but he had not the slightest idea of why. He kept his gaze on Minseok, nevertheless, as he was now curious. Minseok nodded before continuing.

“We have many gatherers,” he pointed out. “Any one of them could take my place.”

Yixing wasn’t sure what sort of game Minseok was playing. Was he perhaps attempting to convince The Alpha to give the runt a job as a gatherer? Under Minseok’s watch? Yixing cocked his head, ever so slightly, searching Minseok, testing him. If Minseok was truly playing such a game, Yixing wanted to play along. “If we wanted to starve during the harvest months, surely anyone could, but none can do what you can,” he replied with a grin, nearly forgetting the two young omegas behind his companion.

He was astonished when Minseok took a step forward and growled. Yixing went to protest; how dare he growl at, challenge The Almighty Alpha? But, as it were before, Minseok was quicker than Yixing and beat him to his words. “If this pack wanted to fall to pieces, then surely anyone could take Jongin's place as well. However, I do not imagine that is what you desire for your people.”

It was enough for Yixing’s eyes to flash a deep red when he blinked. In an instant, Jongin noticed a change in the scents of every wolf around him: Baekhyun’s usually sweet, familiar aroma laced with the scent of electricity; Minseok- who often smelled of the earth itself- nearly lost all potency of his odor and somehow smelled dull; while the new scent of The Alpha made Jongin’s head swim. He assumed the changes were caused by the instinct to fight- or for him and Baekhyun, to flee- but one thing was clear: Minseok and Yixing were not ready to back down.

The Alpha’s eyes retained their red glow, even as Minseok uttered a threatening, “where is Sehun?”

“Do not bring Sehun into this,” The Alpha ordered, tone low and sending waves of some foreign feeling through Jongin’s chest. Another sensation he figured he could do without.

Minseok scoffed in retaliation, and Jongin looked up in worry. There were boundaries he’d seen Minseok cross, but even he had to know when it was time to concede.

“Of course,” the eldest omega replied. Be careful, Minseok. “What place does Sehun have in the affairs of an alpha and his omega? You're right, Yixing. We should not bring Sehun into this.”

The Alpha was astonished, undeniably taken aback by the omega’s words- eyes wide and mouth slightly ajar in shocked silence. Minseok stood resolute, the expression of disdain not once slipping from his features. Yixing had been like a brother to Minseok since they were children, but Minseok would not sit by and watch his brother ruin the fate of the pack. Above The Alpha, the moon was the highest authority he answered to, and he thought Yixing knew that.

Jongin held his breath waiting for words that did not come, as The Alpha let out a dissatisfied huff, standing taller and fixing a hard gaze on Minseok. If Jongin blinked, he’d have missed the slightest glimmer of defeat that shone in The Alpha’s eyes, a look that didn’t appear often. For The Alpha to show any form of vulnerability was unspeakable; none could conquer The Almighty Alpha.

Jongin imagined that was why the man took one last look at each omega in front of him before promptly departing. He’d not been defeated, but he might have appeared so, had he stayed any longer.

“I thought you said he was your friend,” Baekhyun murmured once The Alpha was out of sight. Minseok released his grip on Jongin’s hand and turned to face his two younger companions.

“He is,” Minseok replied with a smile. “That’s why he left us with our heads.” Baekhyun blanched, and Minseok let out a small laugh, eyes crinkling at the corners and crooked smile prompting some of the colour to return to Baekhyun’s cheeks. With his right hand, the elder reached up to ruffle Baekhyun’s hair. “A joke, Baekhyun. Only a joke.”

Baekhyun reached up to shake his hair back into place as he groaned out, “it didn’t seem like much of a joke, what with that damned stare of his. I thought he was about ready to bite my head off just for looking at him.”

A softer smile made its way to Minseok’s lips, and he glanced at Baekhyun, saying “he is a man of many traits, and many mysteries. He does things that are not expected of him quite often, but I know he would not have hurt you. Though, were I not as close to him as I am, I do not think he would’ve taken kindly to how bold I spoke to him.”

Baekhyun was hardly listening anymore, instead he looked toward the Village Circle with disdain plastered to his features. “We grow for years wishing to be lucky enough to speak to The Alpha even once in our lifetimes. Well, I’ve spoken to him, and now never wish to stand in his presence again.”

“Oh,” Minseok began, “how foolish a wish, knowing your own closest friend is The Alpha’s very mate. But Jongin-” The Omega’s mind was already lost.

“Jongin?

The Omega hadn’t realized just how much the proximity to his mate had affected him until the man had left, and taken with him his intoxicating scent and the heat that had coursed through Jongin’s veins when The Alpha approached. Somehow, he thought, this emptiness was less favorable than the pain he’d felt those last few days in his clearing. He wondered aloud if it was to always feel like this.

“Minseok… does it pass?”

Minseok, too observant or too intuitive, replied without pause, “you get used to it… the emptiness… It only makes being in his presence that much sweeter…” Jongin knew Minseok was speaking of his own alpha, the way he looked past Jongin, as if he were seeing a memory unfold before him.

“What about being in Yixing’s presence has ever been sweet to Jongin?” Baekhyun barked. Jongin knew by the way he stood, that his friend was losing patience. Minseok knew that Jongin’s “relationship” with his mate was different from others’, and Baekhyun was growing weary of Minseok seeming to brush off the fact that his friend was probably in more danger now than he ever had been before.

“I did not mean that, Baekhyun, but even still-”

“Even still, Jongin has two choices: emptiness or pain. Which would you have him choose, Minseok?”

“Neither, Baekhyun, that is why we need to talk to his alpha.”

“We? We need to do nothing, you are the one making matters worse!”

“I know The Alpha, Baekhyun, I can make him listen-”

“Like you made him listen just now? Oh, yes, you’ve done a wonderful job of that. I’ve no doubt that he stalked away and immediately thought to tell the entire pack that the runt is now to be accepted and loved; maybe there will be a feast tonight in his honour,” Baekhyun stepped closer to the elder, and Jongin shivered as Baekhyun’s electric energy surged around him.

“Baekhyun, you aren’t listening to me,” Minseok countered, setting his eyes.

“See, here! If you cannot get me to listen to you, then how are you going to convince The Alpha to? Moreover… how might you convince your own damned alpha to leave my friend, your friend, alone?”

Minseok bore a stunned expression, as if he’d been caught stealing food from the supply tent. “Zitao… Zitao is not-” and he shook his head and veered the argument back on its heels. “Baekhyun, were you not in agreement with me this morning when I told you Jongin had to return?”

“Return, yes, but bow, scrape, and cower beneath The Alpha? I’ll be damned before I see that day,” he growled.

“You seem to very much like that word, don’t you, Baekhyun? Damned,” the elder rumbled back.

Baekhyun said something more, but Jongin had already turned to make his way back to his tent. He had no place in his friends’ argument, and he wanted to think. In order to truly focus on his thoughts, Jongin needed to be in his clearing, but he feared that if he ventured back to that pool, those trees, that flood of calm… he might never return.

***

Though it was well into the months of Spring, Jongin’s tent was like ice when he stepped over the threshold. This was the first time in weeks he’d returned to his empty tent, but Jongin felt no difference. The space often felt like that- cold and dark. He’d been in Baekhyun’s tent many times before, and it was never cold, never dark. Though she’d never acknowledge him in the camp, Baekhyun’s mother treated her son’s companion as her own, grooming him when he entered, fussing over him like a mother bird, giving him her smiles and any leftover food she’d brought with her from the last meal. It was not an accommodation that could be made often, and Jongin knew that, only following his friend into his tent on those rare occasions when there was not a wolf in sight.

But, those few times when Jongin passed through the flaps of that tent and into a place of warmth and love, he felt for even a moment like he truly belonged. Neither omega once asked the woman why she ignored Jongin in the camp, for they both knew the answer, but Jongin had once asked why she cared for him in her tent.

“I’m a mother,” she’d said. “What shall I do if not care for my children?”

Years had passed since Jongin last sat with Baekhyun in that tent, but he never forgot those words, that warmth. He’d have liked to think Baekhyun’s mother would still embrace him if he appeared before her again, but so often had Jongin’s hopes been for nothing that he hardly hoped for anything any longer.

Tying down the tent did but little to contain the frigid air, and Jongin found himself wishing for a fur again. Each tent within the camp was littered with furs, more than enough to go around. Baekhyun had nearly a dozen, and he’d tried before to give Jongin one of his, but each time Jongin managed to bring the fur back to his tent, it vanished in days. The Alpha had made it unmistakably clear that only wanted members of his pack were worthy of furs. To date, that included every wolf but Jongin.

As he sat on the bitter ground of his empty tent, Jongin began to wonder what would change now. He thumbed the wood of the totem that he’d hidden behind him when The Alpha had approached, and his mind wandered to its twin. That same timbered wolf sat somewhere in the tent of The Alpha. The Alpha, not simply the leader of a pack, but the leader of all packs- The Almighty Alpha, revered below none but the moon.

Jongin turned the wolf gingerly in his fingers once more before he whispered, “Omega… Great Omega…” The words seemed foreign on his tongue; there had not been a Great Omega since long before Jongin’s birth, and now… according to the moon, The Great Omega was to be him.

There must have been a mistake. No trait of Jongin’s resembled anything he’d heard of Omegas past from the village elders. He was weak, timid, feeble… little. He was little, and knew nothing of how to lead a people, above all beside an alpha who saw him as a pest, a bother whose purpose was to be eliminated. No… no, he could not be The Omega…

The poor child clenched his eyes before rising and placing the totem… his totem, on the small wooden shelf that stood alone at the corner of his tent. The shelf’s only inhabitant was a small arrowhead his father often clutched when his nerves overcame him, or he was wishing for a bit of luck in his day. It was the one thing he’d left behind when he took off in the night, leaving his only child, of ten years, alone, shivering and grieving for a mother he knew would not return.

Jongin had no idea why he kept the arrowhead. It only reminded him of the pain of abandonment, the piercing sting of discovering he’d have to wake each morning alone until he found his mate. And now that he’d been given that mate, the fate of waking each morning alone until his end seemed inevitably real. Jongin realized, with a sigh, that the small totem sitting by the dulled arrowhead only served as a further reminder of that abandonment, that burn of loneliness.

Yixing had spurned him, shunned him, cast him aside like a hollowed carcass. He was nothing to The Alpha.

And so, Jongin found an answer to the question he’d posed.

Nothing would change.

***

“We hear he’s returned,” an elder announced, as Yixing ducked into the council tent with a scowl.

“He has,” The Alpha replied, deadpan, finding his seat at the head of the circle of elder wolves.

“You seem pleased,” an omega woman chirped, earning a glower from the man himself. She held her tongue and dropped her gaze. “My apologies, Alpha. I did not mean to offend you.”

Yixing looked away, electing to forget the woman, lest he break his resolve in front of the entire council of elders. Instead, he spread his map in front of him, silencing the tent and drawing every pair of eyes to their leader.

“I’m bringing this to you now, hoping you might have some insight on how to distribute the rations this year. Six fledgling packs will be joining us at The Gathering Hunt, the six that emerged along the river in the few months prior to the start of Winter. They are small, but they were created from the merging of the mountain packs to the East, and the field packs to the South. Their hunters are fair, some even known throughout the ridges along the high mountains. They will be great assets, but we must caution ourselves in case these wolves are not yet all sure as to where their loyalties lie. Now if we look here, along these lines-”

“Forgive me for interrupting, Alpha, but there is one thing we should discuss before any other matters are brought to attention,” the eldest wolf in attendance declared with a raise of his hand.

Yixing looked as if he’d just been slapped, staring at the old omega with wide eyes and a gaping mouth, but he quickly recollected himself with a shake of his head, and nodded, pushing the map aside, and sitting back on his feet, gesturing for the man to continue.

“The Omega,” the man said after a few moments. Yixing could feel his eyes darken and his blood run cold. He’d had enough of The Omega for today.

“They say he’s returned.” Yixing did not speak, but waited. “Nearly a moon phase he was gone.” Still, The Alpha showed no response. “He is The Omega. He has duties he must fulfill, tasks he must oversee, and for the boy to disappear in the face of those duties, at such a time as this- when every wolf is preparing for The Hunt… he must know that he cannot elude his responsibilities.”

The silence among the circle was deafening, broken by The Alpha’s curt reply. “Eighteen years I’ve led The Hunt, not once has it failed without an Omega.”

“Yes, but Alpha, there are things you cannot do, things you should not do, charges and tasks meant solely for The Great Omega.” There is nothing I cannot do, Yixing thought.

“That boy, The Great Omega?” asked one of the younger of the aged alphas; a woman, one of the first faces Yixing had come to recognize after taking his place as Alpha.

“I didn’t take you as one to so boldly question the moon, Bohee,” another man called from the opposite end of the circle.

“Do you think that child should lead us then?” Bohee asked back, eyes flashing red, but not turning.

“That is not up for discussion,” the eldest spoke up again. “Question the moon, and you question your very existence.” He turned back to the head of the circle and bowed his head. “However, I urge you again, Alpha. He is The Omega. He cannot just depart for so long whenever he wishes. You must do something, speak to him, let him know he cannot abandon his duty like that.”

Yixing wished to be speaking of something else, anything else, and so he finally nodded once before saying “I will make sure he understands his place.”

***

The seconds passed like minutes, minutes like hours for Jongin, who sat in his tent left to the bleakness of his thoughts and the cold of his surroundings. His thoughts hadn’t improved much since he’d entered his tent, and all pondering did for him was send him spiraling into dark memories of sleepless nights and broken bones and hunger. Every so often he would glance back up at the totem, hoping to gain some new perspective from it, but each time he raised eyes to the wolf, pain and desolation followed.

After what must have truly been hours, for the sun was highest in the sky, he heard voices and movement from just outside the entrance of his tent. The voices ceased for only a moment before Jongin saw a gleam from the small hole at the base of his tent flaps. He realized too late that it was a knife, as it had just cut the ropes tying the flaps down, and three alphas stalked in, saying nothing as they gripped him by his arms and dragged him out. His fighting did no good, and all his cries managed to do was draw a crowd.

And this was finally it, he thought. This was finally the end.

***

It took a few moments for his eyes to adjust to the blinding light he’d just been trailed into, but once he could see in front of him, Jongin noticed he was being brought to the Village Circle. The group of alphas and omegas milling around, parted in the middle to give the men a clear path to their destination, and more wolves were quickly joining. Jongin could hear questions being asked of other wolves, and he caught some of them as the men passed through the crowd. Alphas wished to know where The Omega had been, omegas inquired as to why the runt received the totem to begin with, children questioned what was happening, tugging on their mothers’ hands and pointing to the runt being towed toward the totem pole behind the tip of the ring.

And Jongin’s senses flared up again, warmth settling amongst the dread in his stomach, head buzzing with something pleasantly distasteful. He knew it was Yixing he was nearing, and something exhilarating bubbled up through the fear.

The fear quickly took over again, as Jongin found himself thrown to his knees before his wrists were lashed to the pole. He was being whipped. But, for what? Wolves were seldom whipped, save for those who committed a grave crime. Jongin could not think of any crime he’d committed, yet he’d never seen his pack seek validation for the wrongs they did him. Perhaps they thought that whipping him would make the moon realize just how weak he was, and reconsider who she presented the moon totem to.

No matter what the gathered crowd thought, every wolf behind him suddenly went silent, and Jongin looked up to his left, over his arm. That was when the tears began.

He couldn’t stop them, and the sight of The Alpha to his side became distorted and blurred as the salty tears fell from his eyes to his cheeks and over his lips. He’d been whipped once before and knew that even criminals didn’t deserve that pain. The skin on his back, where the raw pink lines crossed over each other, still pulled from time to time, and the pain still ghosted through him- though not as often as of late.

Yet, his tears fell in knowing that the lasting pain whiplashes brought was to afflict him once again, and Jongin didn’t know how much more he could take before his final breath was ripped from his lungs. He’d stopped questioning, long ago, why he was so despised, but he’d never stopped praying, begging the moon to let him live- not just survive. Though, if he made it through this lashing, he wasn’t certain he wanted to “survive” any longer.

He knew both Minseok and Baekhyun were wrong; he should’ve stayed in his clearing.

Before long, over the thrumming in his ears and the sound of his cries, he realized The Alpha had been speaking.

“-and neglectful,” he heard the man say above him. “And so, in order to make him understand that he cannot simply do as he pleases, that he must fulfill his duties, he has been allotted ten lashes of the whip.” The gathered mass of alphas and omegas remained silent, and Jongin immediately knew what The Alpha was doing. He was not recognizing the runt as The Omega, rather, he was looking for an excuse to make a mockery of him, to bring Jongin to his knees and make him bleed. Maybe Jongin had been wrong. Maybe there was no good, no fairness in The Alpha at all. What kind of game was the moon playing with them?

His cries did not cease when he saw the man, an alpha Jongin did not recognize, step up and raise the leather cord- employed only for this purpose. If used properly, that length of hide could rip skin right from the bone of a wolf.

The last thing Jongin thought of before the whip came down, was the smell of pine and smoking firewood burning through his nostrils.

But there was no sting.

That was all The Omega had time to comprehend before he heard the piercing scream beside his ear, and felt heated skin press against his own.

The cry was followed by an ordered, “stop!” and the whole pack was in an uproar in moments that calmed back to silence just as quickly. Jongin was too frightened to move. He felt arms encircling him, but his senses were too disoriented to determine the wolf by his scent, and he still couldn’t see through his tear-dimmed vision. He heard a hiss of pain behind him and felt the movement of muscles as the man braced himself against Jongin’s back.

The Alpha broke the silence. “Minseok, why do you interfere?” Minseok.

“No,” Jongin found himself whispering. He tried to wriggle free of the hold, so he could turn, instruct Minseok to leave, tell him that he was not worth it, but Minseok’s grip was far stronger than Jongin’s when the younger was panicked.

Jongin felt Minseok behind him, turning his head to look up at The Alpha. “Why must you force my hand?” he barked up.

Jongin managed to turn his head enough to see The Alpha grit his teeth, before flinching. There was pain in those eyes… pain only felt on behalf of a friend. Still, Yixing held his ground. “I did not ask you to throw yourself in front of a criminal.”

Minseok’s eyes turned red. Jongin could feel it. “Criminal? This man is your partner! He is your other half, he is your mate!”

“He does not know his place. He is foolish, childish-”

“He is a child,” Minseok pleaded with The Alpha.

The silence that followed seemed to stretch on ‘til forever, the only sound to be heard, that of Jongin’s sobs.

“I cannot be bothered with children,” was The Alpha’s eventual response.

Minseok whipped his head to the side and growled, “and, yet, you bother with him.” Jongin turned further to the side to where Minseok was looking and blinked his eyes rapidly, willing the tears from his eyes so he could see that Minseok was looking to Sehun. He dropped his head again, as the man behind him continued, “Sehun has committed worse offenses and you refuse to acknowledge these much less grant him pardon. But Jongin... this poor child, your very omega,” Minseok looked down to the omega beneath him and produced the faintest of smiles for his friend, though the younger could not see. “He does not deserve a whipping, but your comfort and your love, your scolding if need be,” his gaze returned to The Alpha. “But to rip his flesh from his bone? How dare you call yourself Alpha with actions such as these. I will willingly follow you for many reasons, Yixing, but when you are unjust... I cannot just sit back and watch an innocent be wronged.” Jongin chanced a look at Yixing, but could hardly read anything on his face. His eyes were averted; Jongin didn’t think The Alpha could look at Minseok there, bleeding on his knees and still be having such a discussion.

But The Alpha continued, “I care not for your lectures now, omega. Stand aside, he is not through.”

Minseok’s tone made Jongin shudder. “Are you so hateful that you can still witness the cries of your own mate? He has committed no crime. I am the one who crossed you, I'm more deserving of these lashes than he.”

Yixing clenched his fists; he was growing impatient- much like Baekhyun. Under any other circumstances, Jongin would’ve been amused by the similarities he found between The Alpha and his friend, but nothing was currently amusing to Jongin. “You wish to take his place, then?” The Alpha asked, hoping to silence Minseok and finish off the runt.

“I have already received one,” Minseok called with courage. “Nine more lashes cannot do me more harm than it would have him. I will take his place.”

“Minseok-” Jongin could not have simply imagined that he spoke the name aloud in time with The Alpha.

“You asked if I would,” Minseok said, resolved. “I now beg you to spare the flesh of your own omega and take mine instead.” When Yixing said nothing, Minseok turned to the nearest alpha and ordered, “untie him!” After a few still moments, The Alpha hesitantly nodded toward the wolf Minseok had directed.

The moment the ropes holding Jongin to the pole were cut, The Omega fell to the ground at the base of the pole, and with his freedom came his panic.

“No. No, Minseok, no-” he mumbled, gripping onto his friend’s arm and shaking his head, eyes wide with fear, eyes that searched but could not find the elder’s own. Minseok was trying to calm him, the younger’s cheek, combing through his hair, whispering that all would be alright, but Jongin was inconsolable. He looked downright mad, the way his head shook back and forth, eyes unfocused, clawing at skin that he already had in his grasp- but it wasn’t until Minseok found Baekhyun’s eyes in the sea of wolves, the younger sprinting forward to take Jongin from Minseok’s arms, that Jongin’s murmurs became shouts and his eyes finally found purchase on the omega that was being lashed to the pole in his stead. “Minseok! Minseok! Minseok…” he shouted through tears that Baekhyun tried in vain to wipe away while holding his friend, cradling Jongin’s head to his shoulder, as he had in the clearing.

“Everything will be alright, Jongin… it’s alright…” Baekhyun whispered into the younger’s hair.

What Jongin could not stray his gaze from was the long line of red burning a trail down Minseok’s back. With a turn of his eyes, Jongin noticed that The Alpha was doing just the opposite. Yixing’s stare was turned to the ground. A sudden churn of his stomach made Jongin sick. The Almighty Alpha couldn’t even set eyes upon that which he’d ordered. “Coward,” he found himself whispering toward Yixing. “Coward.”

The first lash that landed across Minseok’s back made a sound like the snapping of a sturdy bough from a sequoia. The second was louder, seemed to echo through the whole camp, and a flock of birds at the edge of the woods took off in fear.

The most horrifying sounds, however, weren’t from the whip itself, but Minseok’s cries of pain, each one louder, and more heartbreaking- though Jongin could hardly hear them by the end, with how his own crying grew.

Two lashes, three, then four, and five, and Jongin was almost breaking at the sight of it. Baekhyun was rocking Jongin in his arms, but for Jongin, the only thing that mattered was the man before him, not behind him.

Time slowed, and he watched the blood-soaked leather climb high into the air, rearing like a stallion, sending droplets of blood into the sky, before it made its descent. Minseok’s breathing was laboured, and his chest rose with difficulty before a shaky exhale of minimal air was released. The man’s entire body was shrouded in perspiration, the clear droplets beading off of his skin and hitting the ground with enough force to cause tremors in the earth. His knees were bloody where they’d scraped the rocky ground as his body jerked with every lash. His wrists, Jongin noticed, were raw and crimson- every snap of the whip caused him to pull, his wrists violently scraping along the wood of the pole and twisting hard against the ropes. His dark hair stuck to his face, framing it to look like a flower, like a black rose withering in the rain.

And the blood.

Minseok’s entire body, from his face to the tips of his toes, was drenched in its own blood. It was thick and bright, shining in the height of the sun, and probably sending out a strong enough scent to send the whole camp into a frenzy. But the scent of his friend’s blood sent Jongin into regression and his knees gave out beneath him, causing Baekhyun to kneel as well in order to support the poor omega.

By the time Minseok could fight for another gasp of air, the whip had found its mark, and the ninth and final lash traversed Minseok’s spine as he screamed one last time, throwing his head away from the pole, clenching his eyes, and arching his back in a recoil from the harsh snap of leather on his bare skin.

It was done, and with the ten lashes served, the ropes were cut, the pack dispersed, and The Alpha put as much distance between himself and the scene as he could.

The Omega threw Baekhyun’s arms off of his shoulders and ran as fast as his feet would carry him, falling down beside Minseok- not caring that he was knelt in a pool of the elder’s blood- and taking Minseok’s face in his hands, nuzzling against his cheek and ignoring the taste of blood on his own lips. “Why?” Jongin begged. “Why did you do this?”

Minseok reached up with a pale hand, finding Jongin’s cheek and spreading his fingers comfortingly across it. “Because Jongin…” he whispered. His voice was hoarse, and he struggled for a moment to find the breath to continue his words. “I was right when I said I deserved this more than you.” He paused to wait out a surge of pain on his back before smiling up at Jongin. The Omega shuddered at the blood covering his friends teeth and buried his face in Minseok’s shoulder, being careful not to near any of the bloody gashes. “I've crossed Yixing too many times... This was my recompense. But you, child have done no wrong.” Jongin’s bawls only intensified “Go,” Minseok ordered him. “Do not weep for me, but for your alpha and pray to the moon that he will see reason soon.”

“Minseok-” Jongin whispered out, as he felt arms encircle his waist, Baekhyun pulling him back, away from the bloody man at his feet. “Minseok,” he called out again, but his friend did not raise his head from where he stared at the base of the totem pole. The pole was covered in blood, as it was after every whipping- though they seldom took place- and it would be cleaned by the time the pack gathered again to take their evening meal, and any indication that the events of the day occurred would be long gone. But it would not be erased from people’s minds. In fact, the whipping would be the talk of the camp for weeks, but not something to be spoken of proudly, rather, there would be whispers in tents, hushed tones in the Village Circle, quiet questions and gossip among the women folding furs for storage and omegas mending clothes for their families.

Jongin did not stop fighting as Baekhyun hauled him through the camp, toward the outskirts near the trees. Jongin’s tent stood apart from others’- he’d ree day after his father disappeared to find that his tent had been moved, moved away from civilization. Jongin realized soon that it actually helped him, for he did not need to meet any other wolves when heading home.

Though, his tent had felt like anything but home for six years. It was a place for him to sleep, yet he prefered sleeping in his clearing during the Spring and Summer months for it was warmer than the bleak cover of canvas he had to return to.

Baekhyun hissed as he dropped to the ground, pulling a sobbing omega with him. “Damn, Jongin, how can you live in this? I’ve never been in a tent so cold.” Jongin wished to make some remark on how Baekhyun needn’t worry, that he could soon return to the bright warmth of his own tent, but the words would not find him, and he settled on dropping his head to Baekhyun’s shoulder and curling into his embrace.

The elder omega sighed into his friend’s hair and held tighter, hoping to ease some of Jongin’s pain, his fear… his guilt. Baekhyun had no doubt that the boy blamed himself for what happened to Minseok, and he knew that no matter how hard he could try to convince him otherwise, Jongin would hold onto that shame.

And so, Baekhyun held onto him for all that embrace was worth, gently rocking his friend to calm his sobs, placate his mind.

Minseok would be alright. Baekhyun knew that. What he feared now was not being able to say the same for Jongin. But he would never make that known to the boy.

***

As Jongin let his tears drag him into restless sleep, his thoughts trailed from Minseok’s bleeding body to the calming scent of the man resting behind him. Through it all, Baekhyun had always been there, holding him, mollifying him, listening to his cries, crying with him, crying for him. Baekhyun had risked everything for him, and he had no idea why. But now, after everything that had happened to them, to him, to Baekhyun, to Minseok… Jongin didn’t just hope- he knew that Baekhyun would be by his side. Until the end.

***

The sky was dark when Jongin awoke. He’d no concept of how far into the night it was, but he couldn’t stomach falling back to sleep, a state in which he was forced to watch the lashes beat his friend to no end.

Jongin had gone so far as to grip the material of the tent flap when he didn’t know what to do, but he’d just as quickly released it, circled the tent three times, before kneeling down in the center of the space, facing the rear of his tent.

The Omega lifted his hands to his face, running his palms up his skin and into his hair, clutching it and pulling to distract himself from his grim thoughts. When that did not help, Jongin bent at the waist and let out a strangled cry- of distress, of pain, of desperation.

And, on the trail of that cry, he heard movement at his back. The rustle of fabric. Baekhyun come back to console him, or perhaps to bring him food.

Rubbing his shimmering, red eyes, Jongin stood slowly and turned to greet his friend. But it was not Baekhyun’s eyes he was met with. A bout of silence passed between the two men, and Jongin wondered for a moment how he’d not smelled the man approaching, but his wits returned to him in a wave, and Jongin found himself bowing low to the ground.

“A-Alpha… do you-”

“You are in no way deserving of what Minseok sacrificed for you, runt,” The Alpha spat, his bitter tone, one that Jongin had become accustomed to hearing.

Jongin stood straight, and responded to The Alpha with a quiet voice. “I know this.”

The younger could feel the waves of anger emanating from The Alpha’s body. “My close friend now bleeds alone in his tent because you are so pitiful.”

All at once, The Alpha’s anger seemed to somehow seep into Jongin’s body, and he stood straighter. He didn’t know where his confidence arose from, but he knew he was angry. How dare this man enter Jongin’s tent after what he’d done to a man he claimed was his friend, and lay all culpability on him? “If you feel so strongly that he is unaccompanied, then bring him to your tent. Your own omega has no place there.”

The air around them appeared to darken, and The Alpha lowered his eyes at the boy. “You are not my omega.”

Jongin’s courage had not exhausted yet. “Do you not find it amusing? You claim such lies upon the moon but you are a mere man. Alpha or not, you cannot outlive the moon, cannot outrun her. There will be a day that you and I will be gone and there will be no consequence, but she will live on. I wish to say I am deeply hurt by your rejection, but I cannot lie to you,” he was lying to himself in saying those words, but Jongin could not let this man before him see weakness. So he stepped closer, and let his anger burn on. “It is no different, no worse than how I had been tortured by them, by you, before. A totem brings no change to my life, and I would not be so shocked that I would be whipped for having committed no wrong.” The image of his broken friend appeared before him once more, and he had to will back the tears. Use it Jongin, that despair. Let it fuel you.

“But, Minseok…” he continued. “Believe what you will, Alpha, but Minseok is a dear friend of mine. I love that man, though I have known him for only a short time. To see him have to sacrifice so much when even I know I was not deserving… you could have called him off, spared him his pain for his sake, not mine…” Jongin’s eyes, that had since trailed to the ground with his thoughts, snapped to attention and set hard on The Alpha. “Yet, you stood there and watched as the man you claim is a dear friend was struck with a lash all of ten times. You claim the fault is mine that he now bleeds in solitude, but you had power you did not wield. You could have saved him. Yet you come to me and place blame on me, once again. Think Alpha, all this destruction you claim lies on my shoulders was set there by your own hands.”

The man said nothing. The silence spread, until it began to strangle Jongin, and he had to break it. “I am amazed, Alpha, that you have simply given me leave to speak, and still so boldly. You are not so unforgiving as I thought.” The Alpha still did not break his own silence, turning swiftly on his heel and striding from the tent.

But, he stopped just before clearing the entrance of Jongin’s tent and hesitated, his step faltering. After a moment, The Alpha turned his head to the side, enough for Jongin to see his profile, as he said, “Zitao is scouting for The Hunt with other alphas… I do not wish for Minseok to be unaided tonight.” The pause was seconds too long, but Jongin waited, for he knew that was not all the man wished to say.

It was not. Turning his head a fraction more toward his shoulder, Yixing finished with a command. “Stay with him.”

He was gone as quickly as he’d appeared.

***

Jongin took a few moments to recover from the shock of the order, and to give The Alpha an ample heads start, to ensure he did not meet him on his way to Minseok’s tent. Jongin knew which tent it was- Minseok had shown him in those weeks before Jongin’s totem fell- and he ran toward it, within giving care to the heads that turned his way as he sprinted through the camp.

He discovered the approximate time as he passed the Village Circle, fire lit and hundreds of bodies gathered around, still taking their meal. Jongin continued on toward the other end of the camp. It did not take long, as speed had always been Jongin’s hidden ability that only Baekhyun knew of. He doubted he was nearly the fastest wolf in the pack, but if they saw him, none could deny that Jongin’s speed was a skill.

There were no wolves in sight when he approached Minseok’s tent, as they were all concentrated around the fire, but Minseok’s lamps were on. Oil lamps- another luxury Jongin had not been granted.

Jongin wondered at who had brought Minseok to his tent after Baekhyun had taken him from that place, but did not dwell on it. When he neared the tent, he noticed that the flaps of the entrance were not tied down, and did not hesitate in entering.

That seemed enough to stir Minseok from the painful half-sleep he’d been in, and when the elder noticed who it was that had stepped into his tent, he moved to prop himself on his arms, but regretted that choice as soon as he’d made it.

“No,” Jongin ordered. “Lie still.”

Minseok dropped back down, but the terror on his face did not fall. “Why did you come here, Jongin? Do not let Yixing see you, he will be enraged-”

The Omega knelt beside his friend, combing his hair back with a grateful smile. “It was Yixing who sent me to care for you.”

“You’re lying.”

Jongin’s smile widened. “I’m not. He cares for you a great deal. Enough to entrust you to the care of… someone like me, only to ensure that you are not uncomfortable.” Minseok stared up, waiting for him to continue. “He is a better man than some take him for.” The elder shook his head in disbelief. How could this boy sit here, and praise the man who had a decree out for his head? “I see the good in him. I will await the day it shows itself in the light.”

Minseok knew, in that moment, that his sacrifice was not wasted. He knew also, why this boy beside him was the one the moon chose to be The Great Omega.

“Not all can see as you child,” Minseok whispered to his friend. “It is fitting that you are Yixing’s mate, for I believe you are the only one alive that can see that heart he possesses…”

Jongin moved, lying on his side by Minseok, facing him with a smile. “He possesses that heart for his people, I've seen this since I could walk.”

Minseok frowned. “But, child, you are his people.”

Jongin was looking past Minseok now, seeing something beyond the rough canvas of Minseok’s tent. “Someday, maybe…” he whispered. “But for now, I can only wait in patience for your sacrifice to heal.”

There was nothing more to be said, and both omegas knew that.

Jongin found a basin toward the corner of Minseok’s tent filled with water, presumably from the previous day, and a small pile of folded cloths. They looked like scraps of old clothing that Minseok and his alpha had outgrown, and Jongin smiled at that thought; growing old with someone, holding onto memories only known between the two of you.

Minseok didn’t speak much of his alpha, for he knew what it meant to Jongin, but he had told both Jongin and Baekhyun of when he received his totem. He was eighteen, two years older than Jongin was now, and it had been three years since Zitao had received his. Minseok had told them of how charming it was: Zitao’s joy at discovering the identity of his omega. Apparently the teenager had been following the older omega around for years, attempting to woo him with flowers, and verses, and game.

Minseok had met the alpha when he was sixteen, Zitao just having turned twelve, and the younger was enamored at once. Minseok said he’d been thoroughly vexed at first, thinking that the young alpha was irksome and reminding him repeatedly that it didn’t matter how taken Zitao was with him; the moon had the final word in their mate. He said Zitao had listened and understood, but that the child’s advances hardly diminished.

Seven years later, at twenty five, Minseok said he could still remember the expression on his alpha’s face after the earthquake that brought forth Minseok’s totem quelled, and he raised his eyes to Minseok, only to see him holding a totem identical to his own.

“Sheer love,” Minseok had said.

Jongin now lowered his head as he clutched a square of cloth, lifting the basin from its place and carrying it to Minseok’s side. His whole life, Jongin had held onto that one last glimmer of hope that, despite all the hatred and pain, the moon might grant him an alpha who could look at him with “sheer love” in his gaze. Jongin wasn’t as surprised as he should have been to discover that his totem matched that of his strongest predator.

But it was Yixing who had sent him running to Minseok’s side. It was for the sake of his friend, for his well being and not for the runt, but there was still care there.

The care that The Alpha had shown, whether Yixing knew it or not, was what had a smile creeping onto Jongin’s lips as he dipped the cloth in the basin.

“Jongin. You do not have to-” Minseok protested when he saw the basin.

“Our Alpha’s orders were that I aide you throughout the night,” it was not entirely true, but Jongin would have said anything in that moment to convince Minseok to let him help in any way he could.

“You’re truly lying now,” Minseok stated, dully.

Jongin stopped wringing out the cloth and stared at Minseok. “How do you know?”

“Your scent changes when you lie.”

Intriguing. “All wolves?” Jongin inquired, continuing his task and squeezing all excess water from the fabric in his hands.

“No, just you. You can control that. It requires work, but it’s not-” Minseok’s words were cut short as Jongin gently placed the cloth on one of the omega’s lashes. His cry of pain was less disconcerting than his cries had been beneath the whip, but Jongin still pulled back his hand.

“A warning would have been appreciated,” the elder whined.

“The pain would’ve been more had you been expecting it,” Jongin assured him.

“What sort of disordered logic is that, Omega?” Minseok asked with a laugh, hoping to joke the pain away.

Jongin smiled as he passed the cloth over Minseok’s back again, Minseok having steeled himself for the sting. “Baekhyun discovered years ago that I cried less when he gave me no warning while cleaning a wound. The pain was over faster because there was no pain in anticipation.” Minseok stilled. He seemed to have forgotten that the position he rested in, here in his warm tent, on soft furs, was one that Jongin would have traded anything for most days of his life. Minseok’s pain suddenly didn’t seem so agonizing.

Jongin continued to clean the dried blood off of Minseok’s skin in silence, until Minseok whispered the younger’s name, just once, barely audible. Jongin hummed in acknowledgment, and Minseok continued, “I remember that day.”

“That day?” The younger asked. Minseok nodded.

“Two harvest moons ago” Jongin’s hand stilled as he waited for Minseok to speak. “The day you were scourged.” Jongin shook his head. They would not speak of it now.

When Jongin placed the cloth back into the basin- filled by now half with water, half with blood- he paused, feeling the whip ghost back over his own skin. He hunched his shoulders, just to feel the pull of his skin around the scars, and trailed his eyes to Minseok, the sight of the red lines placing a foul taste in Jongin’s mouth.

“You should not have stepped behind me.”

“I don’t regret it,” Minseok told the boy.

“That isn’t what I said. I said you should not have done it.”

“I don’t give a damn what you said, Jongin.” The Omega looked up at his companion, blinking once, twice. “I’d do it again.”

Those were the words that nearly stopped Jongin’s heart, and he turned from the man lying on the furs as he lifted the basin off the ground and whispered to the wall of the tent, “let us pray you never have to.”

After ridding the wooden tub of its contents, Jongin reentered the tent, and laid beside his friend again.

“Omega,” Minseok whispered, urging Jongin to meet his eyes. “I did not intend to insult you.” The boy simply nodded.

“I was not worth your sacrifice,” Jongin echoed The Alpha’s words, words he believed to be true.

“You are worth more than just my sacrifice.” Jongin shut his eyes and did not open them again that night.

With a sigh, Minseok reached out, slowly so he wouldn’t pull the skin on his back more than necessary, and took Jongin’s hand.

The lamps still glowing, it took no time at all for Minseok and Jongin to find sleep, Minseok’s pain fading into dreams, and Jongin’s own dreams free of pain caused by whips.

***

“-but we do not have weeks left, Alpha, we do not even have days. You have hours until you are to leave for The Gathering Hunt.”

“You think I don’t know this?” The Alpha asked, voice thick with irritation. The elders had been in the council tent since before dawn, and more problems were arising by the hour.

“And, what dispute did the hunters present to you last night?” Yixing inquired of one of the men seated to his left.

“Seunghyun is causing trouble again.” Yixing groaned in response, dragging his palm over his eyes.

“If he cannot accept that Luhan is the pack’s chief hunter, then we will cut his rank, altogether,” he submitted.

“Should we bar him from The Hunt?” a council member suggested.

The Alpha shook his head, staring at the ground before him. “We will wait and see how he behaves at The Hunt. I will make my decision from there.”

A collective, “yes, Alpha,” sounded from around the circle of elders, before Yixing sighed and asked, “is there more?”

“There is always more,” Bohee told him.

“So it would seem,” he murmured.

“The Omega,” the eldest said. The damned Omega.

“What about him?” Yixing inquired, his mind already straying from the discussion and to other complications they could face in the coming days.

“Why has he not shown himself at any of the council meetings?”

“Why has he-” The Alpha began, but stopped himself. “He’s… he’s adjusting,” he lied.

“Does the child even know he’s meant to be here?” an omega asked.

“Have you told him, Alpha?”

“Have I-” Yixing was hardly listening any longer.

“You’ll tell him.”

“I’ll tell him,” Yixing agreed, before pausing, looking to the elder and asking, “tell him what?”

“You’ll tell him he needs to attend,” the elder replied.

“Tell who?” Yixing asked.

“Were you listening, Alpha?” asked an omega from across the circle, but the eldest councilman waved her off before continuing.

“The Omega.”

Yixing knit his brows. “The Omega? What does The Omega need to attend?” He could hear exasperated sighs from around the circle, but The Alpha was the only wolf in that tent who was attending- much less leading- The Gathering Hunt, so he clearly wasn’t wasting anyone’s time but his own.

“The council meetings,” was the answer directed toward The Alpha.

“And The Hunt.”

Yixing’s eyes snapped forward. “The Hunt?

“Of course,” came the eldest councilman’s response.

A younger alpha nearly stood up to ask, “are you suggesting that we send the runt out to The Gathering Hunt? He could die.” Yixing didn’t know why a knot formed in his stomach at those words. The runt’s death didn’t seem like such a horrible idea.

The eldest spoke up once more. “The Great Omega has always attended The Gathering Hunt since its establishment. Now that we have one, after eighteen long years, he will attend The Hunts, as customary by our laws.”

The circle broke into a disagreement and Yixing watched them argue. It was better than accepting the alternative. Unless…

“Why can I not tell them that Sehun is The Omega?”

The tent was silenced.

“Alpha…” an elder woman began, appalled at the proposal.

Yixing raised his eyes in question. “He’s been by my side since childhood, all the packs know him, and I can assure you he will not be in danger at The Hunt.”

A darkness settled among the circle when an alpha at the end of the ring proclaimed, “you can never assure that anyone will be safe at The Hunt.” The silence that fell was eerie.

“Regardless…” the eldest interjected, calling the elders’ attention back to him. He turned back to The Alpha and bowed his head out of respect. “We understand that you do not favor The Omega. It’s no secret that I didn’t take kindly to Seoyoon when we were first mated-”

“It’s no secret that you still don’t take kindly to me after 187 years,” Seoyoon called to her alpha with a smile, eliciting a laugh from around the circle of wolves.

“However,” the man continued, after the elders had composed themselves. “You must stow your pride, Alpha, and obey the laws. Even as The Almighty Alpha, though you be the highest authority on this earth… you still sit beneath the moon.” Yixing faced forward, a scowl etched into his features. He’d still not been convinced.

“Your own pack knows the identity of the wolf that holds the second moon totem.” Yixing turned his head to Seoyoon, who’d spoken up when her alpha’s attempts had failed. “Do you wish to be known as The Alpha that leads by lies?” Yixing lowered his gaze toward the map below him, desiring to focus on anything that was not The Omega, the runt.

What kind of game was the moon playing with him?

***

The Alpha found him by the side of another wolf. It was that young omega that followed Taehyung around, who had recently made known to the pack that he was the only friend of the runt. Or so Yixing had thought, until Minseok had taken those lashes…

The two omegas were folding newly washed clothes from woven baskets, by the edge of the woods, out of sight. They were laughing about something, and the sight of a smile on the runt’s face made Yixing snarl with disgust.

The sound made the pair finally realize that The Alpha had approached, and one glance at the runt’s companion had him picking up one basket on top of the other, bidding his friend farewell, and darting off toward the tents.

The runt looked like he was contemplating rising, but he stayed seated before The Alpha, looking up at the man as if he were about to be struck.

Yixing looked him up and down, as if he were examining his next kill to see if the profit was worth the cost. The boy flinched when Yixing took a step, and Yixing’s toes curled at just how weak this boy was.

But the elders’ words rang in his ears, and so he lifted his head higher, and instructed, “come, omega.” He his heels when he saw the runt begin to rise.

“Come… to where? Alpha…” he heard the timid voice from behind him ask. This voice was so different from what he’d heard from this boy in his tent on the day Minseok had been whipped. That tone was strong, filled with fire that The Alpha hadn’t expected. His words had lingered in Yixing’s thoughts for days afterward, waking him at the most ridiculous hours in the night, and making it difficult to return to sleep. Yixing was bothered by that confidence.

Yet, this seemed much more like the helpless, fearful runt that the pack knew, that he knew. Yixing seemed to derive pride from that subservience. At least the boy knew his place.

Turning back to the runt, Yixing answered as curtly as he saw fit. “The Gathering Hunt.”

The runts eyes grew amusingly in size. “Th-The Gathering Hunt?” he asked for confirmation. “I’m permitted to attend? I’ve never been permitted before. It was always only the alphas… the stronger omegas, the hunters…” none of which this boy was.

“It is required that I lead The Hunt, as The Almighty Alpha, and customary that my-” he stopped, unable to find the words at first. “-that my mate accompany me at my side.” The Alpha spoke as if he were referring to a an unwanted animal that had found its way into the camp. “However,” he continued, not meeting the boy’s eyes. “I request that you do not interfere with the rites and rituals. You will not hunt, but follow and wait.” It was not a request, and The Omega knew that. It was an order, a command, and not to be broken.

The boy dropped his head. “Yes, Alpha. I understand.”

The Omega flinched as he felt two fingers beneath his chin, his head being raised so The Alpha could look into- more appropriately inspect- his eyes. “You must be strong for the omegas of every pack. You can do that can't you? Even if only a show.” Yixing’s tone made it inescapably clear that he didn’t believe this boy could be strong for anyone.

“I can, Alpha,” he cursed himself that his voice wavered. He cleared his throat before continuing, “I will not disappoint. I can and I will,” it sounded as though he were telling himself this more than The Alpha. “For the packs.” He steeled his voice. “For you.”

“For me?” The Alpha asked, tilting his head incredulously, before looking to the woods. “You need not prove anything to me,” he asserted. “I know who you are.”

The younger stood straighter, announcing, “you have no true faith in me, Alpha. You’ve made that very clear.”

Yixing turned toward him. There it was… a spark of that fire he’d seen from this boy in his tent. The fire that sent uneasiness through The Alpha’s spine. That fire was threatening, and he wanted it gone. Yixing needed to make sure this runt understood who The Alpha was, and that he was not to be tried.

Narrowing his eyes, Yixing stepped forward and gripped the runt’s wrist. He tried to ignore the heat that settled in his chest when he touched the boy, but it was like he’d just been kicked from behind; he didn’t expect the blow, and the pain lingered. The Alpha took a deep breath, however and managed to calm his senses down enough regain control, though the heat remained. Turning his head, and setting his eyes toward the runt- who looked as helpless as ever- Yixing pulled the boy forward toward the camp where the hunters were gathering as he ordered, “come, omega. Tonight, we’ll please the moon.”