part 2

Ups and downs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong sighed in relief when he saw the president’s name plate on that door. Really, he’s glad that J-style has succeeded so much in that past four years and they now have an entire large building for all of the company’s businesses, but it’s a lot to get used in such short time.

The creative director is tired of checking the many rooms to see if he’s in the right place. Is it too much to ask for a map of this big complex?

He opened the door with a start and only took a step in. “Kwon Jiyong, how many times should I tell you to knock!” Jiyong didn’t take the president’s scolding seriously. Most especially, when said president has a tiny little girl chewing on his clip-on tie.

“Well excuse me if my etiquettes lack coz I’ve been looking for your office for an hour.” Jiyong huffs, going over to the mannequins at the side of the room.

“I keep telling you to ask someone…” Yunho mumbles as he puts his little girl in the playpen near his desk. When she fusses, he gives her his tie and she gets quiet again after stuffing that in .

“is that safe?” Jiyong points at Yunho’s daughter who is apparently trying to scarf down the cravat.

“Jiyool’s more resilient than she looks.” Yunho coos at his daughter for a bit and then looks at jiyong while leaning his hips against his desk.

“Anyhow… these are really nice pieces….” Jiyong refers to the five dressed mannequins. His purpose for coming here was that he heard the president had personally ordered for some outfits and he wanted to see the dresses that Yunho had got made. “Vintage drapery concept with slightly avant garde style. Well balanced… I love it.” Jiyong flipped his neon pink hair and faced Yunho with an excited grin. “I hope you're not putting this in a catalogue. I want at least one of these for La Mode’s cover. Lee Hyori is the next covergirl. This Red and white number would look great on her.”   

“Jiyong… these belong to a designer who is supposed to feature in the annual rising designers list.” Yunho said and Jiyong noticed a sudden melancholic aura about him.

“Well that’s great. These pieces are so good, we should celebrate the designer. Maybe we can get this person to make a fresh design for Hyori, what do you think? You know what, I want to meet this person…” Jiyong said like an excited child.

Yunho shook his head. “I don’t know where she is…” Jiyong frowned and his stance deflated. “I was going to launch her four years ago but… things happened and all I have is her old sketchbook.” Yunho lifted the sketchbook that was on top of his desk and stared at it melancholically. “It was just a whim really…. I called production and had them make these as close to what she designed.” He shook his head at Jiyong. “I have no intention to launch these yet Jiyong. I have a… personal attachment to it.”

Jiyong remained silent for a bit. “Sounds like she was more than just a designer to you…”   

Yunho doesn't say anything and Jiyong doesn't push further into the matter. Jiyool senses her father's foul mood and demands to be allowed to comfort him. Yunho smiles as he picks Jiyool and hitches her on his hip. She's intuitive and it reminds Yunho of his mother. "what are you Going to do with the clothes then?" Jiyong asks. He's tad sad these works of art won't get the attention they deserve.

Yunho shrugs, "keep it I guess. Maybe one day I'll meet her again." Jiyong can work with that. Patience is one of his virtues.

The intercom buzzes then and Yunho's secretary’s  voice is heard. "your attorney is here Mr Jung."

"send him in Eunhye and I forgot the baby bag in my car. Can you get that please?"

"will do Mr Jung."

After a pause, the door opens and a man in a dark suit enters. "morning Dongwook. I thought you would come later."

"morning Mr Jung. My wife's not too well and I have to take my little girl for her immunisation. So I thought I'd come by earlier.” the attorney, Choi Dongwook greets Yunho. He gives a nod in Jiyong's direction who responds likewise. But Jiyong plants himself on the couch in the office telling the other males he's not leaving. Yunho's his friend after all and he knows the reason behind the attorney's presence. "I see you're keeping your daughter closer. You had to let go of another nanny?"

"yup." Yunho says simply.

"what happened this time? " jiyong asks "stealing from you again?"

"no, we made sure not to hire such people after the first time."

"hit jiyool? "

"not since they know about the nanny cam.”

“brought unsolicited visitors again?”

“that turned out to be her younger brother who’s in high school.” Yunho internally laughed at Jiyong’s exasperated face. “The last nanny eloped actually.” the other males widened their eyes and Yunho this let out a loud bark of laughter which had Jiyool looking at him curiously. “Haha! yeah, with my neighbour that too.”

“Really? That weirdo with the mid-life crisis? Wasn’t this nanny like half his age?” Jiyong mind pictured the balding geeky man with the baby-faced petite nanny and he shuddered at the mental image.

“Anyway, I’m in the process of moving to a bigger house for Yoolie. So she’s with me while the interior decorator sets up the house.” Yunho lifts Jiyool till her face is closer and gives her an Eskimo kiss. “Yoolie can play kitchen in her own room now. you like that don’t you! Don’t you!”

“Eeeh-nyaa~!” Jiyool squeals in agreement.

“Oh my god! I can’t stand so much sugar early in the morning.” Jiyong feigns a scoff but then looks concerned a moment after. “But then, is it okay for her to be cooped up in an office all day? a child needs a home environment.”

“With that kind of a mother, there’s no home Mr Kwon.” Dongwook interjects. He remember clearly when Yunho asked him advice about buying the new duplex or not. His apartment reeked of bad memories about Yoona. The negative atmosphere was not good for Jiyool so Dongwook suggested a place closer to work instead of a house in the suburbs just for some white picket fence fantasy that’s not necessary. Dongwook leaned forward and looked at Yunho seriously. “It’s a good move to keep her close to you. She’s safer. The court can see that you're not holding back for your daughter.”

“What? Didn’t the court already give Yunho custody?” Jiyong glances at Yunho who’s expression said he wanted to ask the same thing. “I mean, her mother doesn’t want her. isn’t it natural for Jiyool to be with Yunho then?”

“there’s another contesting for custody…” Dongwook says shortly and Yunho’s eyes widen for briefly before they go blank.

Yunho has an inkling about what Dongwook is saying since he knows Park Yoonhee is in town. Last year, just before the divorce was finalised, Yoonhee was in Jeju with a man she was dating. Thinking that her daughter is well-settled now, she jumped into the dating pool and met a widower. When she returned, Yoonhee naturally met Yoona and learnt about the divorce – a one-sided account that is – and Yunho came to know from the grapevine that Yoonhee and that man had parted mutually. Now one can only guess what Yoonhee, the bigger vixen of the Park females, would do.

“I heard from a fellow lawyer that Yoonhee is preparing legal material so she can file for custody and might I add, she’s looking into what financial support can be demanded as well.” Dongwook says grimly.

“do whatever is necessary to keep that from happening…” Yunho says in his business tone and stands up. Jiyool’s her fingers which means she’s hungry. So he heads to the break room to heat a bottle. “And Dongwook, make sure it’s clear to her that she gets nothing, money or possessions, that belong to Jiyool.” Yunho says before he closes the door.

~~~   

“Your lunch meeting got cancelled because Mr Jang’s children have a school event he has to attend. And the conference for tomorrow has been rescheduled for two weeks later.” Eunhye lists out the revised itinerary to her boss but he appears lost in thought while looking at the passing scenery outside the car. He was just as dazed during the new TV commercial shoot they were at earlier.

His daughter has ditched her car seat for her father’s lap and is snoozing peacefully while he her belly idly. Eunhye’s observed her boss has been spacing out a lot lately and it’s nothing to do with his divorce. That couldn’t affect him any less. Eunhye thinks it has to do with the unknown owner of the sketchbook she had been told to deliver to production.

“Mr Jung.” As if jolted, Yunho gaped at his secretary. She gave him a professional smile. “You're free for the rest of the evening and tomorrow too. Don’t you think it’s a good chance?”

“Good chance for what?” Yunho asks warily as he thinks of a polite way to reject his 10 years older than him secretary’s proposal.

The woman resists laughing as her boss’ face is telling of what he’s thinking and she shakes her head. “You can get some preparation done for tomorrow. It’s your daughter’s first birthday.”

“Ah…” Yunho was suddenly reminded of that. With his marital drama, house moving and work, Jiyool’s birthday had completely slipped his mind. He sunk backwards on his seat. “I’m a bad father…”

“You're a burned out father. And you love your daughter a lot.” Eunhye corrects. “I’ve been trying to clear your schedule for tomorrow as much as possible. Your cousin Yonghwa called to tell that they will have the party at his house with his children. And I ordered a cake tentatively. You just have to pick the cake and they’ll make and deliver it tomorrow.”

Yunho blinks taking in the information. “did I give you a raise?”

“yes. Last month but I don’t mind another.” She grinned cheekily.

“done and tell them strawberry flavour. You know a good place to buy her a new dress?”

“your nieces have already got her a new dress and about the cake. I didn’t mean pick a flavour.” Eunhye leans forward to tell the driver where to go.

“what else is there to pick in a cake?” Yunho asks.

“this place specialises in novelty cakes. I got a soccer themed cake for my son last year from there. Since it’s her first birthday, I thought of that place. Imagine the little miss going through her first birthday pictures in the future and seeing such a vibrant cake.”

Yunho holds in his awe. “You're like supermom!”

Eunhye only chuckles. “three children, Mr Jung. Three children.”

~~~

"who's doing the delivery?'' Yoochun hollers.

"Hyunjoong. He just called and said he's done" Jungmin replies as he takes a tray of pastries to the shop out front.

"Chunnie, I could use some help filling these canollis." Junsu requests cutely but her hands are moving rapidly piping cream in the Italian pastry.

"sorry babe. But I got some work only the boss can do" Yoochun gives her a long kiss as compensation and takes long strides to the employee entrance. On cue, Chaelin opens the double doors and a group of noisy little humans enter. Yoochun throws his arms in the air. "welcome to my kingdom" he says with flair. A tug on his pants and Yoochun looks down. "oh'' he steps aside and a tall boy takes his place. ''welcome to my kingdom'' the kids cheer for their class’s star, Shim Changmin. Changmin takes a bow amid the applause while Yoochun grumbles about getting side-lined.

"very nice Changmin. " the teacher leading the noisy brood said to her favourite student, ''but let's allow your uncle to lead our field trip okay. ''

Yoochun was about to thank the teacher but another tug on his pants had him facing his godchild again. ''if you embarrass me...'' Changmin motioned with his hand slicing his throat and then happily skipped to his best friend, Kyuhyun.

''okay...'' Yoochun voice cracked before he coughed to regain composure. "let's get moving. How many of you have a sweet tooth here?'' all children raise their hands. Kyuhyun raises two. ''y'all going to enjoy this.'' Yoochun leads the way as the children follow.

Junsu makes a comment on them looking like a duck and ducklings so Chaelin corrects its Junsu who's the resident duck with a smack on her voluptuous behind. After showing the children the giant mixers, huge ovens, fondant sheeters and other industrial sized baking machinery, Yoochun took them to shop' s latest addition- the baking and cake decorating class.

''daddyyyy~" Kyuhyun squealed and hugged Siwon's legs. Siwon lifts his son and puts him on the stool closer to him. "come on kids. Each one take a seat." Siwon gestures to the stools surrounding a large table. Yoochun, Jungmin and Chaelin place plain round cakes in front of each child while Junsu helped the homeroom teacher into a spare chef's white uniform to protect her dress.

Changmin runs over to the front to stand next to Siwon. Jonghyun, Changmin’s rival in well, everything points at Changmin accusingly. “Miss Han~ Changmin’s not sitting.”

Before their teacher could intervene, Changmin speaks loudly. “I already know everything. I’m going to supervise.”

“No you can’t! kids don’t supervise.” Jonghyun counters.

“I so can. Look! I have an apron with my name on it.” Changmin points at the mini chef’s uniform with his name embroidered on his chest. “Do you have an apron with your name on it?” Changmin says with sass and jonghyun huffs with a pout.

“Oh! oh! I have an apron with my name on it!” Kyuhyun says excitedly but then sulks when he remembers it’s at his house.

“All right children. No fighting.” Miss Han claps to get her children’s attention. “Siwon-ssi, please continue.”

“Okay kids…” Siwon cracks his knuckles. “let’s get started. Everybody got their icing cones ready? Hold it at top and squeeze it slowly. Minho, don’t eat your icing.” Chaelin goes to said boy emptying the icing cream in his mouth and gives him a new piping cone.

“Oh! there he is…boss, there’s a client.” One of the salesmen calls Yoochun. With a short apology, Yoochun heads to the sampling room.

There were scores of cake samples and cake pictures decorating this room and there was a dining table of sorts where clients could sample cake flavours.

Sitting on one of the chairs is a sharply dressed man with a toddler girl. He’s trying to get his hyperactive daughter to stop from reaching out to the cake samples on the table.

“she can have the cakes if she wants.” Yoochun says as he takes a seat opposite the man.

“Thanks but I don’t want to give her any sugar or she’ll keep me up at night.” The handsome man finally puts the girl down so she won’t reach the cake. On her feet now, little Jiyool takes a tour of the pretty looking cakes.

“I see you’ve tried our strawberry-related flavours.” Yoochun gives a cursory glance to what samples one of the staff might have given the man and wonders if a strawberry themed cake is in order.

“Yeah… I’m leaning towards the strawberry, vanilla combo but my nieces don’t like anything but chocolate.” Yunho sighs. Deciding on a cake especially when the choice is so good is hard. He regrets letting Eunhye go ahead and arrange for presents for Jiyool and her cousins.

“you can have all three flavours then!” when Yunho gives the baker an incredulous look, Yoochun chuckles. “trust my professional taste buds. A little darkness of chocolate with the sweetness of vanilla and the acidity of strawberry to balance it out. My personal favourite is the chocolate and vanilla marble cake with chocolate ganache. And maybe we could put some fresh strawberries in the ganache too.” Yoochun observes the stoic face of the man before him.

Yunho, with a blank face, takes out his handkerchief and dabs his chin slightly. “Sorry… I was salivating there for a moment.” Yoochun doesn’t hold back his laughter as he agrees to the obvious reaction.

“Anyhow, is the cake for your nieces?” Yoochun asks, getting his notebook out to note some details.

“No, it’s my daughter’s first birthday tomorrow. I think my secretary spoke to you.”

“Ah, yes. You're the pre-booked first birthday for Saturday. I remember… did you decide on a cake yet?”

“Actually, it’s just dawning on me that picking the right cake to make a memorable day for your child is stressful.”

“Yeah, I understand. Not to worry. It’s what I’m here for. If I may suggest Mr…” Yoochun realises he wasn’t listening clearly when the salesman told the client’s name.

“Yunho. Jung Yunho.”

“Well, Yunho-ssi. I suggest you throw your daughter a cake smash party.”

Yunho squinted his eyes curiously. “that doesn’t sound legal.”

Yoochun snorts in his hand to keep from laughing out loud. This is by far the most interesting client he’s dealt with. “Cake smash. It’s common for toddler parties. It’s a vanilla and buttercream cake, small size, maybe two low tiers. We add some bright decorations and your daughter goes all Hulk on it.”

Yunho an eyebrow. “Literally cake smash is it?”

“Yup. It’s fun and tasty at the same time. One year olds can’t really be graceful with cake. But they make for memorable pictures. And we can make sheet cakes for the rest of the guests.”

“I love that. I want a cake smash party.” Yunho says excitedly as he stood up. “I’ve given the address and other details already. I look forward to your cake.”

“Your daughter’s cake will be there on time Yunho-ssi. And I’ll suggest you put some plastic sheets in an open space. Things could messy.” Yoochun warns and the two males laugh.

Yunho takes his coat from the chair and prepares to leave. “Let’s go Jiyo-eh!” Yunho doesn’t see his little girl anywhere in the room.

~~~    

“Okay! That’s our bakeshop kids. so this concludes our little tour.” Junsu, who had taken over for Yoochun, declares.

“Junsu-ssi! Junsu-ssi!” a cute little girl raises her hand. “I’ve heard Changminnie’s Umma makes pwetty dresses. Mimi wants to see!”

“Me too! Me too!” another girl bounces on her feet.

“Does she have princess dresses?” a girl at the back asks.

“Yes she does. She has all kinds of dresses.” Changmin says proudly. “My Umma is very good.”

“That she is cupcake.” Junsu ruffles Changmin’s hair. “and the right person for the task is here. Hey Chul!” Junsu waves at Heechul, who was heading upstairs with a box of buttons, to come over. “the kids want a tour of Jae’s workshop.”

“Oh…” Heechul cringes slightly. “we just got our shipment an hour ago. nothing’s arranged. I don’t want the kids to be buried in a landslide of fabrics.” Heechul looks at the eager faces of the children, specially the girls, and gives them an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry babies. I’ll take you all next time.” The children looked down.

“No long faces children. We can’t squeeze multiple places in one field trip. Leave some for next time ne…” She thanks the staff for their time and ushers the children out of the bakery.

Kyuhyun was following the group when he was pulled back by his coat. “Hey you! Where’re you going?” Heechul swings her son slightly.

“Eh? I don’t have to go to school?” Kyuhyun asks looking at his teacher.

“Huh? Why would I go to pick you up from school when you're already here?” Heechul squeezes Kyuhyun’s nose playfully.

“school hours are over Kyuhyun and your parents are here too.” Miss Han tells her student. “Heechul-ssi, Changmin took my permission and ran off to his mother. Could you make sure he’s fine?”

“don’t worry. It’s his turn anyway. I’ll check on him for you.” They greeted each other politely before the teacher left with her students.

~~~

“Ummaaa~ faster!” Changmin hollers as he descends the steps. He hears the sound of things falling and his mother’s ‘ow!’ but can only shake his head. What can you expect with his clumsy mother in a messy room.

And he’s impatient because he’s hungry too. His mother’s work supplies just arrived today and she didn’t get to prepare any food. That’s sacrilegious to Changmin even if his mother was swamped with work.

At least she’s taking him out to eat.

“Ummaaaa~!” Changmin stomped his feet and when he heard a sweet ‘coming’ and rapid footsteps, he started down the next flight of stairs. “Eh?”

Changmin was met by a cute pair of almond eyes blinking at him. it was momentary though. The little turned her eyes away from the new face and heaved herself the step. She appears to have climbed two steps of the flight already and this is the second last flight of stairs from the ground floor where the shop is. So he wonders if she came from there.

“Uuungh~!” the girl whines and Changmin skips two steps to reach her. he pulls her up and she sits on the step, looking at him. “Aaaangh~!” she makes a sound and Changmin thinks for a moment before he waves at her. “Hi.” He says.

“Min, are you there?” a voice calls and Changmin stands up from his crouching position. “Umma! Umma! Come fast.”

Hearing the urgency in her son’s voice, Jaejoong hurried. She however halted just at the top of the flight.

She expected to see some blood or her son in pain. What she sees is some unknown girl.

“Umma, come fast. I think she’s lost.” Changmin says urgently.

“where did you find her?” Jaejoong came to the children and almost cooed at the adorable girl. She looked around as if to spot her parents but then internally smacked her head because there’s no one in the narrow stairway besides them.

“just found her climbing the stairs. She could’ve come from the shop.” Changmin says to his mother.

“the closest thing to this stairway is the sampling room. She must be a client’s daughter. We can ask your uncle if they got any clients with children today.” Jaejoong picks up the toddler and she must’ve liked how she smelt for the little girl was snuggling Jaejoong’s neck and sniffing her hair. Jaejoong chuckles at the ticklish feeling.

“I think she likes strawberries Umma.” Changmin says referring to Jaejoong’s strawberry scented shampoo.

“Is it? you like strawberry?” Jaejoong tickles the toddler’s belly making the girl squeal a bit. However, it was cut short when a loud rumbling sound came from her tummy. “Oh! I think she’s hungry…” as if agreeing to it, the little girl starts crying just then.

“let’s take her to JHolic with us.” Changmin suggests remembering where they were heading to earlier.

“We can’t just take a lost child with us. Come on. Let’s find her some soft cake at the bakery.” Jaejoong pushes her son lightly to get him moving and they head downstairs to the shop.

~~~

“Siwon! We have an emergency!” Yoochun yells frantically at his friend. “this man’s” he points at a worried Yunho behind him, “daughter is missing. About one year old. Ye’ high. Dark brown hair in a ponytail.”

“What was she wearing?” Siwon turns to Yunho.

“white frock, pink leggings and those sneakers with lights.” Yunho says rapidly.

“got it!” Siwon gives him a thumbs up and runs to the intercom. Pressing a button, he speaks into it. “attention all staff. This is an emergency. Initiate ‘Junior protocol’. Subject is one year old girl in white and pink clothes, Christmas light sneakers.”

For a minute, Yunho forgot his tension when all the staff stopped after the announcement and threw themselves on the floor. They crawled on all fours as if looking for a cat. The absurdity made Yunho forget for a moment his daughter is missing.

“Did I hear ‘junior protocol’? we haven’t done that in three years!” Hyunjoong shrieked as he stumbled into the work area with two salespeople.

“Doesn’t matter! On all fours soldier! This is not a drill!” Yoochun yelled and Hyunjoong was on his knees looking under the tables. “Su, check the front.” Junsu got on her feet and ran to the front of the shop.

“I have a feeling you get a lot of missing children…” Yunho comments.

“just one. The eponymous ‘Junior’. He always wandered off when he started crawling.” Yoochun tugs Yunho back to the sampling room. “Can you daughter climb stairs. There’s a narrow stairway adjoining the sampling room.”

“She can but very slowly. Where do the stairs lead?”

“there’s a studio and an apartment upstairs. I’m worried if she reaches the studio. There are rolls of fabric and boxes that could fall on her.” as the words left Yoochun’s mouth, he found himself overtaken by a distraught father.

Yunho took large strides to the only other entrance in the room and saw the wooden staircase. It looked recently made and sturdy enough but it was too narrow. He was about to take a step up to it but halted when he heard footsteps and voices.

“you think she’s abandoned Umma?”

“don’t say such a thing. And they leave children at churches and orphanages. Not bakeries.”

“why not bakeries? There’s food.”

“that’s only your stomach talking.”   

Yunho feels his heart stop at the female's voice. It’s as if he went back in time with the same voice telling him to eat properly. For a long moment the world became black and white. The only colour was the beautiful woman in the blue dress descending the stairs. Even the children with her were like extras in a monochromatic movie.

Yunho didn't even realise she's carrying his daughter as his eyes are fixed on the wide doe eyes. From the way she stopped midway and looked at Yunho, obviously she remembers him too.

"Pa! Pa!'' Jiyool makes grabby hands spotting her father which jolts the adults from their daze.

"oh great Jae! You found Yunho-ssi's daughter.'' Yoochun exhales a sigh of relief. Reminded of his original purpose, Yunho stretched out his hands. Jaejoong looked at Yunho, then the girl in her arms. Of course she's yunho's daughter. The resemblance is uncanny.

"wait!" Changmin shouts " How do we know you're her father? I need some proof."

"he's her father min..." Yoochun pinches the bridge oh his nose then points at Changmin. "he's the junior I mentioned" Yunho mutely nodded as Jaejoong passes Yunho the toddler.

 "ungh~" Jiyool her fingers telling Yunho to feed her.

"umma can we go now? '' Changmin holds Jaejoong's hand and sways his body right and left in whining. Jaejoong and Yunho exchange looks when Jaejoong speaks. "let's go upstairs.'' as they went up the stairs again, Yoochun scratched his head wondering if there's something between his friend and client.

 ~~~

Yunho sat on the stool and idly watched Jaejoong move around the kitchen. She hasn't changed much, he reckons. When Jaejoong's back is turned to him he checks his appearance in the glass of his phone and tries to fix his hair. He's never been good at taking care of himself but he's definitely looking haggard. The past year was trying emotionally but Jiyool kept him from descending into a downward spiral.

"what are you doing?'' Yunho flinched at Jaejoong's voice. He probably looked weird with his phone raised high and fingers in his hair.

The same hand in his hair scratched his scalp sheepishly. "can I have your number? '' Yunho pushed his phone towards her. Jaejoong stared at device and Yunho could sense her hesitation. ''do you really have no intention to keep to talk to me ever? '' The sad tone of his voice had Jaejoong pick up Yunho's phone and enter her number. She sent a missed call to her phone too and returned the phone.

''I didn't think that you or yoona would want to see me again actually.''

'' don't take the blame for something that isn't your fault and besides Yoona isn't even in the picture. ''

Before Jaejoong could ask what he meant, Changmin returned from the terrace. ''Umma is this enough? '' Changmin gave her the sweet potato he dug up from the garden.

‘‘Yeah...'' Jaejoong took the potato and gave Changmin Jiyool's bottle which she had filled. ‘‘Give this to her. She's in your room. And play with her.''

‘‘Can we keep her?” Changmin asks brightly.

‘‘She’s a human child. Not a puppy.'' Jaejoong shoos off her son and Yunho almost wanted the boy to have Jiyool seeing the long face as the boy walked past him.

‘‘Don’t mind him. He's melodramatic and wants a sibling.'' Jaejoong places a sipper bowl of coffee in front of and went back to mashing the sweet potato.

‘‘Am I that childish in your eyes? '' Yunho points at the children’s cup of coffee. What next? She’ll tie a bib around him!

''I don't want Minnie to know there's coffee in the house. He wants to eat everything.''

''I see....'' Yunho takes a sip of coffee. ‘‘Where’s your husband?''

‘‘Never had one.'' Jaejoong answers simply.

Yunho's eyes widened. ''b-but I thought you... That day.... That person... He took you away... He...and you two... The wedding store...AARGH! '' Yunho groaned in frustration.

Jaejoong took another stool. ''Changmin was my best friend. He was the father of my child but we never married. '' As much as he's happy Jaejoong never married that person the use of past tense was confusing, something he says out loud. ''Changmin passed away when our child was a month old. He had leukaemia.''

‘‘Oh... I'm sorry...''

‘‘It’s okay. I don't feel the loss because he gave me such a bratty son who's every bit like his dad. Changmin always thought about the future that way.''

Hearing Jaejoong talk about him made Yunho feel guilty that he wanted to strangle the now deceased man out of pure jealousy. Has felt so murderous since seeing them at the wedding store five years ago and thinking they were preparing to marry. ‘‘That’s my story...what about you? What did you mean Yoona isn't in the picture?'' hearing the conversation like tone Yunho understood that she's no longer the old Jaejoong who let Yoona dominate her. Leaving then did her good. Made her free to think for herself. Jaejoong is inly asking now out of curiosity and no ill feelings.

 ''she and I are officially divorced since a month ago though really separated for a year before that.''

''what! Why? And your daughter? ''

''I have full custody of Jiyool though I heard your step mother is trying to change that.''

''you won't let her right. Don’t get me wrong but Park Yoonhee isn't exactly mother of the year. Not saying coz I'm not her daughter but she did forget Yoona at the mall more than once.''

''I know. Even the court knows what kind of people they are. But knowing they can't win doesn't make them any less annoying.''

''what happened with Yoona?”

Yunho sighed and looked at the ceiling. He feels his head throb remembering the events. “since the day you left, Yoona changed… I don’t know if possessive is enough to describe it but that’s one aspect of her madness. At first, she didn’t want to lose me to you, but it grew to the extent where she didn’t like anyone within 10 feet of me. She didn’t like it when I interacted with any female staff and she would come along to photoshoots ‘to keep away the models’. I bore with it. When I felt suffocated, I’d lie to her to get her off my back.” At this point, Yunho knows he’s talking a lot, but he can’t help it. Jaejoong’s was and is his confidante.

“There was a period when she went emotionally crazy and drove me mad too. So I took off to Busan for a few days. It was really a business trip but a good escape. And she bloody tracked me with my phone GPS. I was right in the middle of a meeting in a restaurant. And to make it worse, it was a female designer and her female assistant. She made a spectacle in public and fainted and me being the considerate husband, forgot about the crap she put me through and took her to the hospital. Turned out she was pregnant.”

Jaejoong felt a lump in . She guessed that girl is Yoona’s child but it still hurt to imagine Yunho be intimate with someone, more so with the wife who harassed him.  

“You're thinking how can I be intimate with her when clearly there’s something up with her ment

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter