part 1

Ups and downs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yunho-ssi, your 5:30 moved to 4.”

“What! It’s in half hour! And I got donut jam on my tie!”

As if magically, the entrepreneur’s secretary whips out a blue and gold tie. The boss grabbed it on the way to the bathroom so he can put it on while the secretary waited for the inevitable call. Sure enough, a head popped out of the open bathroom door. “Jaejoong…”

The secretary, Kim Jaejoong obediently goes over to help her overgrown child of a boss to tie the neck accessory. This man, who has to wear slip-ons because he doesn’t know how to tie shoelaces, is the up and coming media and fashion mogul. Jung Yunho is the president of J-style is the founder and head of dozen fashion and lifestyle magazines, an online clothing line, a chain of shoes and accessories stores and a soon-to-be-launched fashion advertising management.

It was for this new business venture that he has a meeting with the advertising firm which will be assimilated into J-style.

Jaejoong’s sure he’ll be charismatic as usual, getting those arrogant advertising hotshots agreeing to his term in the first five minutes. But even after working for Jung Yunho for two years, almost three, Jaejoong finds herself shaking her head at his childish antics. the man makes puppy eyes at his secretary for a donut for crying out loud!

“This is the last spare tie today. so don’t wipe your mouth with it again. If they offer you coffee, decline.” Jaejoong instructed. Sometimes, she gets motherly with her boss but he doesn’t mind.

“Yes Ma’am.” Yunho salutes once Jaejoong steps away after finishing the tie work. “Won’t you be coming?”

“there’s a major goof up at ‘Baby talk.” Jaejoong says referring to the magazine geared towards children and parents. “the next issue is about the children inter trends but somebody put the lingerie ad in it. Totally missing the target audience. I have to call the printers to halt the production till the editors can fix it.” 

“put the ad in ‘La Mode’. Hopefully after today’s meeting, no more advertising glitches.” Yunho takes one last look in the mirror and gives his reflection a thumbs up.

“Good luck Boss and there’s a sandwich and lots of tissues in the car.”

“I don’t know what I’d do without you Jaejoong.” and Yunho gives her a bear hug before leaving.

Jaejoong remains in that empty cabin for a long time. Her hands move to hug herself, and she shivers at the lingering feeling of her boss’s hug and she sighs blissfully.

~~~

“He hugged you again didn’t he?” the tall pastry chef remarks, not even turning around to look at the infatuated girl while he pipes fondant fur on the yellow monster cake.

“How do you know?” Jaejoong asks her best friend. Despite what Changmin says, he doesn’t have eyes at the back.

“I don’t hear any scratching of your pencil against the sketchbook and you’ve let out your I’m-totally-in-love sigh 14 times in the last…” he looks at the clock on the wall nearby, “10 minutes.”

“what do you know about being in love! You're the spawn of Satan. You have no heart.” Jaejoong huffs. She rues the day she asked the 3 year old Shim Changmin to play with her. now, more than two decades later, the self-proclaimed evil genius and baker/businessman/overlord tests her patience in ways that make her want to gut him with his palette knife. 

“You’re the slave of this devil darling. So don’t anger your master.” Changmin says with his damn-right-I’m-an-overlord voice.

Changmin hears the furious scratching of pencil against paper and he knows Jaejoong is sketching her new design because of her lack of comeback. He puts down the piping bag and takes the envelope sitting near his work station.

“this arrived in the morning.” He shows the envelope and Jaejoong sees the trademark logo of one of the design labels she had applied to. The end of the envelope was ripped clumsily. She stared at Changmin. “You opened it.” it wasn’t a question because only he would take such liberties with her.

“I saved you the trouble.” He flicked his wrist and the envelope fell in the trash bin nearby. “Not the same old ‘we have no openings on our roster’ this time. They asked if you're interested in being a seamstress.”

“To make the creations of others while mine gather dust?” Jaejoong pouts.

“I know. That’s why I threw it. You should just start your own business.”

“easy for you to say. You have the talent for baking and the business acumen. I don’t know a thing about business.”

“Not everyone is Shim Changmin darling. Your boyfriend is a fantastic businessman but he can’t put his shoes right.”

“He’s not my boyfriend.”

“But you like the idea of your boss/crush being your boyfriend don’t you?” and Changmin even wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. Jaejoong wrinkled her nose and slapped the taller man’s bicep but she couldn’t hide the pure happiness on her face at that thought.

“Anyway… why does your mail come to my house?” Changmin complains about the same thing again. it’s just a way to bring up that topic that Jaejoong doesn’t broach.

“You know I can’t let Yoonhee-ssi see them. She’d flip if she knew I’d quit a stable job.” Jaejoong says as usual.

“Yet, her own daughter is in an unstable modelling job. How many gigs has Yoona had Jae?” Changmin counters.

“She’s just starting out Min and Yoona’s not even in the equation. Yoonhee-ssi did me a favour by taking me in. I have to give my bit in running the house too. If I get a fixed job as a designer, then I’ll tell her.”

“She ill-treats you and abuses you Jae. And she’s using you so her daughter can go gallivanting with some wannabe models. Why don’t you just leave?”

“I can’t do that! She’s raised me despite what my mother did. I owe her-”

“Bull! What happened was her husband’s and your mother’s fault. Not yours. She’s wrongly taking it out on you because they are dead.”

Jaejoong can only respond with a wistful smile. She thinks he’ll never get it. Jaejoong is the result of an affair between Park Yoonhee’s husband, Park Seunghyun and Kim Jaeha. Kim Jaeha met her untimely demise in a car accident and Seunghyun confessed his adultery to his wife so Jaejoong wouldn’t be orphaned. Yoonhee wasn’t as accepting of course. The difference in treatment meted out to Jaejoong and Yoona was stark. Jaejoong was a year older to Yoona but even as a child Yoona had her under her thumb. It became worse when Seunghyun died a year later. Jaejoong had been reduced to a servant under Yoonhee and Yoona. Yet Jaejoong never said a word for she believed what her parents wronged Yoonhee and in their deaths, she must repay her.

Jaejoong puts her hand on Changmin’s clenched fist to calm him. “I don’t mind Minnie. Because I’m not alone. You'll be with me like always ne?”

‘Like always’ Jaejoong reiterates. Since the day Changmin and his mother moved next door and she called him to play, Changmin has been a part of her life. He was with her when her mother died. When she went to live with the Parks, the then seven year old would make the subway commute alone to visit her friend every weekend. She studied hard to be in the same high school the genius Changmin went to much to Yoonhee’s chagrin because Yoona couldn’t crack the elite school’s entrance test. Changmin and Jaejoong’s friendship is so long, neither can imagine a life without the other.

Changmin puts his other hand on Jaejoong’s. There’s a suspicious shimmer at the corner of his eyes but Jaejoong doesn’t point it out. Changmin would throw a fit before he admits to crying. “Always… I’ll never leave you.”

~~~

“this is the new collection…” the male gestures to a rack of clothes, “they will go on the end of winter sale.”

Jaejoong nods making some notes in her organiser. “Mr Jung will be here soon. Will you have the catalogue mock-up ready by then?”

“we have the template ready. Once the photo-shoot is done, it would take about 15 minutes to make it.” the young male answers.

“It better be. This catalogue goes with the next issue of La Mode. It’s sale season.” Jaejoong says gently but sternly.

The young employee assures the task will be accomplished. Jaejoong is the president’s right hand man after all. she speaks on behalf of him and commands just as much respect. “I’ll prepare a digital copy just in case.” He says and before Jaejoong can say it won’t do without the hard copy, a voice interrupts.

“Jaejoongie~!” Jaejoong flinches at the familiar voice and dreadfully turns around. Sure enough, Yoona is strutting towards her in her designer jumpsuit and totes courtesy of her mother.

“Go make the soft copy.” Jaejoong orders and shoos off the man before he witnesses some unwanted scene.

“Hi Jaejoongie, are you busy?” Yoona says with uncharacteristic cheerfulness while giving a short wave to the blushing employee leaving them.

Jaejoong ignores the fact that Yoona is calling her Jaejoongie, something she has never done, and puts the most normal smile she can muster. “just a normal day. what brings you here?”

“Can’t I visit my sister at her workplace?” Yoona asks ‘innocently’ and Jaejoong now knows something is up. Yoona has never even acknowledged her as her half-sister. Now she’s blatantly saying sister!

“Do you need money for your next Europe trip?” Jaejoong asks directly.

Yoona smiles but her eyes have that warning glint. “not this time sis. I need something else from you.” And there it is, Jaejoong thinks. “You must be having lot of modelling gigs around here right?”

“Uh…not so much. the publication hires freelancer photographers and we mostly have catalogue shoots.”

“Yeah yeah, whatever. The point is, these people need beautiful and talented models that can sell, like moi.”

There’s a pregnant pause, while Jaejoong digests the information and comes up with a suitable answer. “I… I don’t handle the hiring… I don’t know about…”

“Jaejoong, I forgot my lunch again-oh!” Yunho barged in like a hungry whiny child only to come to an abrupt halt seeing a new face.

Yoona’s eyes widened and a smile tugged at her lips seeing the fine specimen of a man before her. “Jaejoong, who’s this?” she nudges her half-sister.

Jaejoong opens and closes like a fish before she finds her voice. “Th…this is my…boss. Jung Yunho. Yunho-ssi… this is Yoona, my…my…”

“her sweet l’il sister.” Yoona says and s her hand forward. “Nice to meet you Yunho-ssi.”

“the pleasure is all mine…” Yunho says looking hypnotised by the beautiful girl. “I didn’t know Jaejoong has a sister.”

“oh! you know how she is, always lost in her world.” Yoona shrugs and giggles in what she thinks is cute. “I tell you, if I don’t remind her to eat, Jaejoong would just starve herself.” Jaejoong actually ate the leftovers after yoonhee and Yoona ate but Yoona wouldn’t say that.

“Jaejoong’s a dedicated secretary. I’m lucky to have her. I swear I’m not a tyrant though.” Yunho jokes.

“Oh please! You don’t look the tyrant types.” Yoona gets a little bolder, lightly slapping Yunho’s chest playfully. “oh look at me! I’m sorry I interrupted your work. I just had a modelling gig nearby so I dropped in to check on Jaejoong.”

“You're a model? That makes sense.” Yunho’s flattery made Yoona giggle shyly. Jaejoong didn’t know she could do shy. “You know what!” Yunho says like he got a fantastic idea and Jaejoong prays it’s not what she thinks. “we’re always hiring models. You should sign up too.”

“oh my!” Yoona feigns surprise. “that would be an honour. Where do I sign up?”

Jaejoong was watching this whole exchange and felt a python had wrapped around her heart and was constricting it.

~~~

Things happened so fast, that Jaejoong didn’t even get the time to cope.

Yoona was modelling for J-style and she was getting close to the one Jaejoong was in love with.

Jaejoong noticed that Yoona’s outings with those struggling male models had reduced and she’s having one too many coffee dates with Yunho.

Yoonhee would extract Yunho’s schedule from Jaejoong and engineer meetings between her daughter and the fashion mogul.

It was only a month, she hadn’t even known when Yunho and Yoona had begun dating and they announced their engagement. Jaejoong was still reeling from the shock when Yunho had asked for Yoonhee’s blessing.

She didn’t even look at his face before she ran out the house. She didn’t take the metro as usual but opted for the quicker route to Cassiopeia bakery by taxi.

And now, she was curled on the king-sized bed in the apartment on the fourth floor of the bakery.

“Come on, get your medicine.” Changmin cooed as he placed a plate of brownie with vanilla ice-cream on the bedside table.

“go away.” says the lump under the bedsheet.

“if you wanted me to go away, you shouldn’t have to come to my house then.” Changmin deadpans. He tugs at the bedsheet but Jaejoong clutched on it for purchase. Changmin ruffles his hair in frustration and smacks the Jaejoong-lump with the pillow. “Come out of there Jae. You know I’m not the comforting type.”

“Brownies aren’t going to console me.” Jaejoong finally sits up and Changmin had to resist the urge to cringe at her red eyes and tear-stained face. His beautiful best friend has a face for smiling and happiness. Sadness was unbecoming of her.

“What can anyone do to help you Jaejoong? You can’t control who you love just as Yunho can’t either. If I could, I’d kidnap Yunho from the altar and make him marry you but even I’m not that kind.” Changmin sits beside her and pulls her in his arms. The second she’s pressed against his chest, her dam breaks again and she sobs loudly.

“Please don’t cry Jae. I can’t see you like this.”

“I can’t… I can’t. I feel like I’m dying. I can hear my heart breaking Min. piece by piece…I can hear it.”  Jaejoong sobs against his chest.

“I know… I know you're in pain. I’m sorry Jae. I should’ve helped you. I should’ve pushed you to confess to him. I should’ve got you out of that hellhole sooner. I’m sorry Jae. I’m truly sorry.”

“It’s not your fault Min.” Jaejoong pulled away, appalled. “It’s never your fault. I should’ve listened to you. What do I do now Min? how do I go one seeing him with someone else. I… I’m scared. Their wedding… how do I be the bride’s supportive sister while I’m in love with the groom?”

“You take one day at a time Jae.” Changmin sighs. “like now… we’ll get through this night and tomorrow is a new day which we’ll figure out how to pass when it comes. For now, you need help from Walker.”

“Walker?” Jaejoong asks as her eyes follow Changmin leave the room and return ten seconds later. He brandishes a bottle of amber liquid and grins. Jaejoong realises it’s the fancy scotch Changmin fancies. “one Johnnie Walker to erase your memories for a night.”

It took only half a bottle of the scotch for the two lightweights to get drunk. They were slumped on the floor, Jaejoong’s back supported by the dresser and Changmin sitting opposite her with his back leaning on the bedpost.

“you have to get to work at 4 a.m.” Jaejoong says groggily.

“I’m the bloody boss. My shop is only downstairs.” Changmin says like he has a point to prove and then again slumps backwards. But the sloppy drunk that he is, he slips even while sitting and falls sideways on the floor.

“God hates me. He doesn’t want me to be a designer and he takes away the man I love and gives it to that undeserving .” Apparently Walker brings out Jaejoong’s innermost feelings which include breeding hatred for Yoonhee and Yoona.

“I can poison her wedding cake.” Changmin mutters though if it’s sleeptalking, it can’t be said.

“what to do Changmin? I feel like someone stuck their hand inside my chest and ripped out my heart. Is there a hole in my chest?” and Jaejoong looks inside her blouse to check for a heart-shaped hole.

“fill the hole! Fill the hole!” Changmin sings obnoxiously as he tries to climb his bed. He even grunts as if he’s scaling the Everest. “Get a new man! Hah!” Changmin gasps and turns on the lamp above his head to show the fictitious Eureka lightbulb moment. “I have a better idea. Get a kid. Fill the void. Kids are squishy and cute little s. Like puppies… only they talk. You should totally get a kid. You and kids are like chalk and cheese.” Changmin yells enthusiastically totally missing the chalk and cheese reference.

Jaejoong looks fully sober (though she’s not) as she processes Changmin’s words. She looked like a slob with her unkempt hair and the drool at the corner of her chin as a result of ‘thinking’.

Changmin had come down from the high of his ‘great’ idea by then and he fell backwards on the bed. He was sprawled on his comfy bed, staring at the modern chandelier above his bed and wondering why the lamp and not the chandelier. It was until he felt a weight on his stomach and something wrestling with his belt.

“The !” Changmin tilts his neck higher and chokes at the sight of topless Jaejoong straddling him and tugging on his belt. “the are you doing?” Changmin shrieks as he tries to fight off Jaejoong’s hands from undoing his belt. “this is in’ Kim Jaejoong!” he yells. All his inebriety flew out of his body with his soul at Jaejoong’s sudden action. Apparently, not so for Kim Jaejoong.

“Shut up! I want a kid!” Jaejoong declares loudly as she yanked the belt out of Changmin’s waist, even chafing his waist through the pants.

“That freakin’ hurts!” Changmin yelled and he’s glad he’s owns the building. Any other residents here and he’d have cops knocking on his door for domestic disturbance. “there are plenty of kids in the world. Go to a Africa and get one. Why do you have to get yourself knocked up? No.. scratch that.. why do you want to get ME to knock you up?”

“I want to be pregnant. I want the full experience to heal my heart.” Jaejoong started ing Changmin’s shirt from the bottom. When she reached the last one, a large hand held her pale wrists. “You're drunk Jaejoong. you're not thinking straight. I don’t want you to do anything you’ll regret.” He says seriously.

“I won’t regret this because it’s you. You're my Changmin. Think of the baby you’d make. It’ll be tall and good looking and I hope it has your brains. Plus I’m way nicer than you so my baby will be not a devil like you. Please Changmin, you're all I have left.” Jaejoong tried to sell her reasoning as she tried to pull open the last button.

When her hands were freed and she successfully opened the shirt she cheered victoriously. However, her victory party was cut short when she was thrown on her back.

“Changmin?” she squeaked, now realising the gravity of her previous actions.

“You promise you won’t regret it?” a pregnant pause and Jaejoong nods. “I’ll give you what you want Jaejoong. in return, you have to grant me my wish. Deal?”

Jaejoong looks into Changmin’s eyes and she sees some unreadable emotions. It takes her back to the time when she ran to him the first time since she moved to the Park’s house. She never really understood what he felt as she did now. but she knew he would protect her. no matter what life throws at her, Changmin will remain the one constant in her existence, her rock by which she lives. So if there’s anything he’ll ask of her, she’d give it in a heartbeat.

“Yes.” Was all that was said, needed to be said before Changmin covered her lips with his own and stripped the both of them.

~~~

DBSK’s My little princess played in the quiet room as the single occupant on the bed stirred. This is her favourite song but with the massive hangover, Jaejoong felt particularly murderous.

When the song stopped playing, she finally sat up. A pained groan escaped her lips as she registered the ache in her head and her nether regions.

As it happens, walker didn’t serve his purpose and she still remembers what happened last night.

The man she loves is getting married to her half-sister and she slept with her best friend…

“Changmin…” Jaejoong called the one person she does when she’s frightened out of her wits. Panic assailed her and she pulled the large shirt – the same one she gifted Changmin on his birthday- tighter as if she still felt . “Min…” she said tearfully again.

When she thought she heard violent coughing from the bathroom, her My little princess ringtone began playing again. she stared at her phone, the caller ID flashing the name ‘Yunho’ as if mocking her in her current situation.

She wasn’t aware when Changmin stepped out of the bathroom until he took the phone instead.

“Kim Jaejoong’s phone, Shim Changmin speaking.”

“Who?”

Changmin smirked hearing the gobsmacked voice of Jung Yunho on the other line. It’s a good thing Jaejoong can’t listen to their conversation or she’d go crazy.

“I’m Jaejoong’s friend.” Changmin answers coolly. Not that he was lying. It’s a very natural statement to him. “You're Jaejoong’s future brother-in-law isn’t it?”

“Why are you answering her phone?” Yunho demands without answering the other’s question and Changmin can practically hear how tight Yunho’s jaw is.

“Well, my friend had a sleepover at my house.” Changmin puts on a lazy tone and while the innocent Jaejoong thinks it’s Changmin being Changmin, it sounds wanton to Yunho’s ears, just as Changmin intended it to be. “you know how sleepovers can get with adults… drinking… touching…” Changmin grinned knowing he successfully got under Yunho’s skin.

“I want to talk to Jaejoong.”

“well, too bad. Jaejoong’s sleeping.” Changmin signals Jaejoong to shush when she wanted to protest. “Any message?”

A long silent moment and Changmin hears some controlled breaths. He knows Yunho’s trying to calm himself. “Tell Jaejoong to get to the office quickly.” Yunho says in one go and hangs up. If it was a telephone, Yunho would’ve slammed the receiver in its cradle.

Changmin flings Jaejoong’s phone on the table and goes to his closet. Sliding open the door, he pulls out one of his chef whites. It was only when he pulled it on did Jaejoong realise he was shirtless with his brawny back in full view. It brought memories of last night and Jaejoong felt steam coming out of her ears. “It’s 8 and I was supposed to be at work four hours ago. you have to be at yours in half hour.” Changmin informs so Jaejoong would move to at least clean up. “I can’t find the spares you keep here.”

“bottom left shelf, where you keep your formal shirts.” Jaejoong points at the said place. Changmin fishes out a red crop top and long brown dropped waist gown of Jaejoong’s own creation. “that’s not for office.” Jaejoong whines.

“Maybe you could wear it for the big wedding. Turn heads. Steal the bride’s thunder.” Changmin joked as he pulled out a black jumpsuit instead and threw them on Jaejoong’s head. “get dressed and go to work. You don’t have time for breakfast but if you want, make it yourself. I’m going down.” Changmin fixes his chef’s uniform and was about to leave the bedroom when he stopped. “you remember last night?”

“…. Yes.”

“good. I would’ve killed you if you forgot about it after putting me through that.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. It might not be so bad after all. don’t forget our deal Jaejoong. If you get pregnant you do as I say.” Changmin didn’t need to look behind to know Jaejoong nodded.

~~~

Jaejoong was not into her work today. Yunho had been dragged by Yoona somewhere and she didn’t bother herself with work.

She just went through her sketchbook to see which ones she could send for her next round of applications. When she reached the last page, she sighed. It was her dream wedding dress. It inspired by her grandmother’s wedding dress which her mother kept. Kim Jaeha never got the chance to wear a wedding dress and the vintage gown had deteriorated over time prompting Jaejoong to design a new one using the intact lace bodice of it.        

If you get pregnant you do as I say.

Jaejoong can’t believe she put her best friend through that. It was proof that she has lost her sanity. And given that she just decided to get pregnant on a whim, she might not get a wedding too. That is until she knows what Changmin is planning. He’s as unpredictable as they come.

“Jaejoong! Jaejoong!” said person sat up with a jolt when she heard the loud voice from the hallway leading to the president’s cabin. “Jaejo-” Yunho’s voice died when his eyes fell on Jaejoong.

He almost choked seeing the slight redness on her cheeks and the pale skin was glowing more than usual, almost like snow in the sunlight.

Yunho’s feet had a mind of his own as he stepped closer to her desk. Jaejoong slowly stood up, she didn’t know why.

“You're…you're…” Jaejoong looked up when Yunho stuttered and the bright eyes had his mouth working faster than his brain. “You're glowing….”

“Huh?” Jaejoong brought a hand to her cheek. “Glowing?”

“Y-yeah… like…” Like a bride after her wedding night, Yunho was about to say. “like snow…”

“Oh…” Jaejoong didn’t know what to say. She heard about the afterglow that adorns the girl at the first time.

Yunho snapped out of his thoughts, reminding himself that Jaejoong is out of bounds. Which reminded him of something. “You were with some Changmin last night?”

“he’s my best friend.” Was the automatic answer. She can’t say further than that.

“just want to make sure… you're safe.” Yunho says the last bit softly. “Anyway, did the proposal for MCM come?”

“Uh.. yes…” Jaejoong rummaged through the papers on the desk which pushed her sketchbook to the edge closer to Yunho.

“What’s this?” Jaejoong’s eyes widened as Yunho picked up her open sketchbook. She mentally berated herself for recklessness for leaving it open, more for keeping it open on that page. “Wow! I didn’t know you could design.”

“Th-that… is just a hobby.” Jaejoong said quickly, wanting nothing more than to snatch that book from her boss’s hands.

“this dress… it’s a wedding gown right? And the pattern is vintage, but modern fabric. Is it a high-waist?”

“princess seams.” Jaejoong gives a resigned answer. Her boss had already taken interest in it. she just hopes he won’t ask something more.

“This dress is perfect for a winter wedding. Jaejoong, can you…” Yunho began but he appeared hesitant.

“please don’t say it… please don’t say it…” Jaejoong prayed under her breath.

“YunYun~!” Yoona arrived with half a dozen bags. “I got the day off.” She dropped her bags and wrapped herself around Yunho. “Whatcha doin?”

Yunho showed Jaejoong’s sketch and Jaejoong clenched her eyes shut. “I was just looking at this-”

“Ugh! That’s so yesteryear!” Yoona cringed exaggeratedly and despite the slight tinge of insult, Jaejoong was actually relieved.

“It’s not that bad. ‘Everything old is new’ is quite the in-thing now. You would look great in this.” Jaejoong wished Yunho would give up and not give her wedding dress to Yoona.

“I would look great in anything darling but I have my heart set on the Vera Wang.” Yoona said with finality and gave a smile that said ‘are you going to argue with me?’.

Yunho had no choice and he closed the book before placing it back on the table. “They’re really good. Maybe we could have some of them in the next spring collection.” Yunho meant it, because he’s going to call his coordinators and get Jaejoong’s designs in their upcoming line.

Jaejoong chewed on her bottom lip and nodded shyly. The exchange didn’t sit well with Yoona. “What’s going in between you two?” she demanded with eyes narrowed suspiciously at Jaejoong’s face, not liking that blush on her one bit.

“I’m sorry?” Yunho cocked an eyebrow. What brought that on?

“nothing. I’m on a sugar high after eating all those cakes. They were either too dry or too sweet.” Yoona waved it off and pushed Yunho to his office. “Jae~ can you have a non-fat latte sent over? Thanks!” and she closed the door. Jaejoong sighed and called the cafeteria for the latte. When she hung up, her brain went over what Yoona said and she got an idea. If it’s a cake they want, she has the best baker in the country before her.

 

 

“what’s up with you?” Yunho asked right of the bat. Yoona was being damn obvious earlier and he wanted to know why.

“Why are you so angry YunYun?” Yoona feigned distress.

“You just outrightly questioned Jaejoong and my relationship.” Yunho stated with narrowed eyes.

“You can’t blame me. You two work together and have known each other longer. It worries me.” Yoona sniffled and sobbed a bit. “You don’t understand how I feel Yunho. I’ve always been scared of getting hurt in a relationship. My father… he cheated on my mother YunYun. I never got over that.”

“You think I’d cheat on you? With Jaejoong?” Yunho said disbelievingly. About Yoona’s father, he never knew so it came as a shock. But he’s a tad offended of being equated to an infidel.

Yoona came to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. “of course not YunYun. I trust you with my life. I love you. I never even for a second thought you are the same as my father. It’s others I don’t trust.”

“Does Jaejoong come in that others?”

Yoona sighs. “You think she’s so sweet and innocent don’t you… that’s what she makes everyone believe. Tall, handsome and rich men are her type. There’s this guy she says is her best friend… he owns an entire building. She’s always staying over at his house. Even yesterday.” Yunho’s jaw clenched at that last bit. “When we were younger, she could’ve gone to the public high school with me. Instead, she cosies up with the son of a private high school’s director so she can be with that ‘friend’ of hers.” Yoona knows but doesn’t tell that Jaejoong was actually a math tutor to that director’s 10 year old son to pay her school tuition. “He gifted her a car once and always giving her expensive sweets. given a choice, she’d choose that sugar daddy over any of us.”

“I… I… don’t believe she’s like that.” Yunho says meekly.

“It’s okay. She won’t do anything that would hurt me.” Yoona smiles enchantingly and hugs Yunho. Buried in Yunho’s shoulder though, he expression turns dark.

~~~

“Minnie…”

“No.”

“Min.”

“get lost.”

“Minniepie~”

“that’s disgusting. Go away.”

“Min-Min.”

“ off!”

“Shim Changmin!”

“Banish evil spirit!”

Changmin threw a handful of flour on Jaejoong like some kind of incantation. Jaejoong took the offered cloth from Changmin’s cake sculpting genius, Siwon and wiped her face.

“oh come Boss! Since when did you refuse orders?” Siwon persuades on behalf of Jaejoong.

“CinJAErella here…” Changmin throws more flour at Jaejoong, “wants me the cake for her evil step-sister and prince charming’s wedding.”

Siwon looked at the sheepish Jaejoong with disbelief. “Even I can’t agree to that Jaejoong.” Siwon shakes his head and gets back to his modelling chocolate.

Jaejoong runs after Changmin, who has escaped to his small office. She enters inside just when Changmin has just inserted a large number of papers inside a file.

“I’ve never seen you work with that many papers before.” Jaejoong exclaims. She’s only him with receipts and bills regarding his business. The largest stack of papers she’s seen with him are the accounts after the busy Christmas season. And that’s twice their size.

“it’s some legal papers.” Changmin states and puts them in the small safe at the back of his desk. He closes it and locks it with a number key pad. “2-6-0-1. Remember it in case of emergency.”

“it’s my birthdate…” Jaejoong mutters and sits on the chair meant for guests. “tell me Min, if the girl you like asks you for a cake, for the happiest day of her life and she’s not marry you by the way, wouldn’t you do it? for the sake of her happiness?”

A pregnant pause, blank stare and he responds. “I would.” Jaejoong was about to cheer, “but I won’t do this for you.” Jaejoong choked on her saliva at his sudden declaration.

“Why?” Jaejoong implored.

“you're asking me why?” Changmin cocked an eyebrow. “after what I did for you, you can’t ask any more big things from me for the next ten years.”

Jaejoong was deflated and she slumped on the table in front of her. she knew he was right. She can never repay him nor ask more from him.

~~~

It’s been two weeks and Jaejoong has barely seen Yoona and Yoonhee. Mother and daughter are busy with bedding preparations while Yunho focusses on work.

Jaejoong would either coop up in her bedroom, work overtime or bother Changmin. lately she’s been bothering Changmin more and that too for white chocolate brownies.

She finds it odd. When she passes the front pastry display of Cassiopeia, the sugary smell gives her a headache. It never happened before. But when she is in the back of the bake shop on the way to Changmin’s apartment upstairs, the smell of machine and man churning out fresh baked goodies makes her want to eat the entire bakery. Contradictory, yes she knows, but she wants to see Changmin and Yoochun knead the dough for a lemon meringue pie just for her. a pre-made pie won’t do.

Not having got the chance to watch Yoochun, the second in command of Cassiopeia himself make the assorted cupcakes for her, she only prodded and played with the purple icing. And that’s her lunch by the way.

“I’ve noticed you’ve been eating a lot of cake lately.” Jaejoong jolted out of cake-prodding and looked up to find her boss smiling at her. Yunho took the carrot cake in the corner and had a bite. “this is good. Where is this from?”

“Cassiopeia.” Jaejoong answers as Yunho finishes the rest of the cake in the second bite.

“sounds familiar.”

“it’s the largest one in Seoul. It’s only five years old though.”

“I bet it’s famous. This is fantastic.” Jaejoong agrees with Yunho. “are you going to eat that?” and Yunho takes the coconut cream cake in before she could answer. “this is the best cake I’ve ever eaten, and I’ve been to 18 cake tastings in the past week. Does this place make wedding cakes?”

Now Jaejoong would’ve said yes but Changmin had already refused before she could recommend Cassiopeia to Yunho. And she can’t even say no. what major baking factory doesn’t make wedding cakes? “you have to book three months in advance.” Jaejoong lies. You can place orders within a week of the event.

“oh!” Yunho’s shoulders fall. He looks at Jaejoong for a while. “you think we’re going too fast?” Jaejoong was surprised by the sudden question. Yunho rubs his nape sheepishly. “I’m sorry for putting you on the spot. It’s just that, I’ve been thinking. I only knew Yoona for a month and it’s all such a blur. I don’t even know I ended up sleeping with her. but I must take responsibility for taking her ity.”

Jaejoong blinks. She’s outwardly blank but inside she’s having a full blow courthouse debate. On one hand, she knows Yoona hasn’t been a since she was 15 and on the other hand, she’s wondering if she has to marry Changmin for giving him her ity. Either way, it helps that she knows the backstory of Yunho and Yoona’s sudden wedding.

“sh-she’s pregnant?” Jaejoong swallows hard. If Jaejoong is pregnant and Yoona is pregnant, than Yoona’s kid will be a torture to Jaejoong’s kid and Jaejoong would rather not have her child go through what she does.

“Wha- No! no! she’s not pregnant. She said she had the pill. But still… I can’t brush it off as a drunken night’s mistake.” Yunho states firmly but Jaejoong wants to call his stupidity.

Jaejoong doesn’t know who is worse- She for forcing her best friend to impregnate her, or Yoona for tricking Yunho into her trap.

Anyhow, this discussion is going down a route Jaejoong doesn’t want to tread. “did you really mean it when you said you’d include my designs for the coming collection?”

Yunho smiles, not minding the change of subject one bit. “honestly, if I knew sooner, you’d be my designer not my secretary.”

“then you're lucky. Who would do your tie four times a day.” Jaejoong grins playfully.

“I’d have to get one of those clip-ons.” Yunho says and dramatically shudders. “You know what, get your book. Let’s shortlist some of them and maybe you can add some fresh pieces too.” Yunho gestures for her to follow as he walks to his office.

“Really?” Jaejoong stands up ecstatically which turned out to be a big mistake. She felt the blood zoom up her body and hit the roof of her skull before it all went black.

Yunho waited five minutes in his office. He figures Jaejoong had to get her stuff. But it shouldn’t take more than a minute. And it’s oddly quiet too.

“Jaejoong?” Yunho steps out of his office but frowns seeing her desk empty. He walks closer and his eyes widen seeing the limp hand on the floor behind the desk.

~~~

Elephant. Squishy purple elephant. With a white bow. Jaejoong’s in a semi-conscious state and she wants to buy an elephant plushie.

“Jaejoong? Hey… are you awake?” a deep voice asks. It’s so calming and alluring at the same time, Jaejoong wants to see the face.

She opens her eyes and blinks away the blurriness. The first thing that comes into view is a wine-red ceiling with modern lighting. She’s never seen this ceiling before. Her bedroom has a dull grey ceiling with cracks on it. Changmin’s is a black ceiling adorned with those high-class chandeliers he loves. Jaejoong remembers the last place she was in was her office and she’s ashamed to admit that she has no idea what her office ceiling looks like.

“Hey! Here, sit up.” She was pulled by strong hands and made to sit with her back resting on the comfiest pillows she’s ever felt.  Changmin’s pillows are misshapen because he keeps hitting people with them. she felt the rim of a glass touch her lips and realises her parched throat. The hand helping her leaves the glass when she takes it and downs the water in big gulps. “Slow down…” the soothing voice says and she finally looks at the person.

The fact that it is Yunho has her feeling lightheaded again.

“Wh-where am I?” she manages to ask.

“this is my house.” Yunho answered and Jaejoong’s body jerked. She felt the water from earlier travelling back up . “here you go!” Yunho put a bucket in front of her and she heaved her stomach contents into it. “I told you to drink slowly…” Yunho rubbed her back as she straightened up and he offered her another glass of water. She drank slower this time.

“wh-what?” Jaejoong could only ask as she clutched her throbbing head. “why… here? Happened…office…what…?”

“You fainted and I took you to the hospital.” Yunho says softly as his hand now her head.

“am I dying? It feels like it…” Jaejoong says groggily but she admits Yunho’s touch is relieving some pain.

“you're not dying…” Yunho says and while that is a good thing, he sounds grave and Jaejoong stares at him to continue. “You’re pregnant…”

Yunho expects a big reaction. At least an exclamation. That was the reason he had brought her to his house so she doesn’t have a public meltdown. But he didn’t expect the blank face and blinking doe eyes which look quite cute Yunho reckons.

“I’m pregnant?” Yunho nods. “with a child?” Yunho could have been sardonic and said ‘no, a duck.’ But he just nods again, very slowly. “Crap! He’s going to kill me! He agreed to this… but he’s still going to kill me…”

Yunho frowns at the muttering. “Is the baby’s father…”  he lets those words roll of his tongue but they had a bitter aftertaste, “not ready for this?”

“No…Oh no! he’s fine with this…but…” Jaejoong’s eyes fell on her phone wondering if she should call him or tell him face-to-face. “he scares the out of me!”

“I…I can accompany you when you tell him… you know… to protect you.” Yunho offers but Jaejoong has her head shaking vehemently. “no! not you! He hates- doesn’t like you very much.”

Yunho an eyebrow. “don’t tell me, he thinks there’s something between us too, just like Yoona does.”

Jaejoong looks down. apparently Yoona has told him about their father, but she seems to have spared him the detail that they are really half-sisters. Anyhow, Yoonhee was always embarrassed about that detail that she would pass off Jaejoong as her daughter.

“Yoona’s fears are not unfounded.”

“I know… I heard about your father. Must have been hard on you.”

“it was more for Yoona. I lived through it because of Min…”

“Min?”

“Shim Changmin, my friend.”

Yunho’s eyes widened as his mind replayed those voices.   

 Kim Jaejoong’s phone, Shim Changmin speaking.

There’s this guy she says is her best friend… She’s always staying over at his house.

“Shim… Changmin… the one who answered you're phone the other day?” Yunho had a dark aura about him and for the first time since she has known him, Jaejoong is scared.

“I have to go.” Jaejoong tries to slip out of the other side of the bed where Yunho isn’t blocking her way.

“Is he the father?” Jaejoong stiffens briefly before she grabs her phone and purse. However, Yunho grabs her before she could even step out of the bedroom. “Answer me Jaejoong!”

“it has nothing to do with you!” Jaejoong yells back and frees herself from Yunho’s grasp. It’s partly successful because Yunho is surprised by her outburst, and so is Jaejoong herself. It’s just that she’s at her limit. Her repressed hatred for her half-sister and stepmother is surfacing, her best friend is not being too best-friendish lately, she just learnt she’s super hormonal and now her boss who she loves is overstepping the line.

However, this reaction only riled Yunho up more. “the it has nothing to do with me!” he said gruffly. “I don’t even know if I can trust this Shim person with you and you’re freakin’ pregnant!”

“What do you know about Changmin! he’s been with me all my life. He’s the only one who cares for me.”

“So your sister and mother are disregarded for that friend of yours? Do you even consider how they will feel when they know of your pregnancy?”

“Listen, I know how they will feel. I know how they will react. So the only person I can go to is Changmin. you wouldn’t understand. You're not even my brother-in-law yet. You think you care but truth is you're just forcibly obligating yourself. You are not in a place to interfere with my life!” Jaejoong shoves him away from her.

“I disagree!” Yunho uses that chance to grab Jaejoong’s wrist not letting go away.

“I don’t see any reason you do!” Jaejoong yells in retort while struggling to free herself.

“Because you're my first love!” that one statement ended it all. Yunho felt weak all of a sudden and his hold loosened. Jaejoong’s hand fell limply on her side. “I’ve been trying to forget you because I knew there was someone else in your life…”

Yunho sniffed the bouquet of fresh roses as he walked the corridor to his office. He hopes Jaejoong likes them or it’s going to ruin his proposal. He’s been practicing all night and the flowers are integral to the plan. If anything doesn’t go like he rehearsed, his nerves will take over and all will go downhill.

Yunho knows it’s too fast. Jaejoong’s only joined a week ago. but the second he laid eyes on the beautiful secretary, it was love at first sight for him. And knowing that an equally beautiful heart beats inside her, Yunho couldn’t take the longing anymore.

He saw the door to his office lounge and quickened his pace. If he was nervous earlier, he was beyond excited now. with his free hand, he was about to pull open the stained glass door and enter, when another voice reached his ears. Not wanting another person to intrude on their moment, Yunho decided to wait.

He saw it is one of the chief coordinators who manages the largest store of J-style in Seoul. She was having a very serious discussion with Jaejoong over the secretary’s desk.

“Are you sure Jaejoong? I don’t think it’s possible two days in advance.” That lady says.

“Don’t you worry. Your daughter will have her working ballerina cake.” Jaejoong says cheerily and Yunho is lost in that smile until her next words. “he doesn’t take orders unless it’s a minimum a w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter