pilot

you're the snitch to catch

p i l o t

 

muggle terms?

 




"The quidditch pitch was thundering with the voices of Slytherin and Gryffindor students cheering as the players of each house prepared to enter the field. Yeri took in a deep breath, her broomstick (the latest Firebolt) with her thumb. Today, she would compete in the biggest quidditch match of the year at Hogwarts: the big showdown between Gryffindor and Slytherin. In front of her stood her older brother, Junmyeon, captain and keeper of the Slytherin team. Behind her stood her fellow chasers, Jisoo and Mina, who were betting on which one of the three would be the first to score the quaffle in the Gryffindor goalpost. 

 

“It’s gonna be Yeri who scores first.” Mina affirmatively said, as Jisoo rolled his eyes at her.

 

“Nah, bruh. It’s gonna be me.” 

 

“What in Merlin’s name is ‘bruh’?”

 

“Muggle term for someone close or when you want to be sarcastic. They’ve really expanded their vocabulary. It’s totally—let’s see… what was that word… oh—swag. Yeah, it’s totally swag.” 

 

“You’re bloody strange.” Mina snorted, shaking her head.

 

“You nervous, Yeri?” A playful voice asked, and Yeri turned to see Jongin, her cousin, grinning widely as he slung his bat loosely over his shoulder. Yeri noticed the bruises extending on his forearm. 

 

“No. I see you’ve been practicing more than usual, though.” Yeri nodded her head at Jongin’s black and blue bruises that were beginning to take a purple hue. “Don’t you at least want to get that bandaged?”

 

“The pain keeps me up and running.” Jongin shrugged, before calling out as his eyes. “Pissing your pants yet, Little Red Riding Hood?”


Yeri turned her head to take a glance at the Gryffindor team, who’s captain Byun Baekhyun was looking at Jongin with an air of superiority. Despite being a good inch shorter than Jongin, Baekhyun stared back at Jongin with a hard stare, his eyes just oozing confidence. “Hardly. It would be a shame for Gryffindor to walk away with the cup when you’ve put in those extra hours into practice, Kim.”

 

“It would be a shame if you walked away with nothing and a broken skull.” Jongin sneered back, earning an amused snort from Baekhyun. 

 

Junmyeon turned to face Jongin with a disapproving frown on his face. “Jongin, get back in line. And stop provoking them for Merlin’s sake, you’re a bloody sixth year.” 

 

Junmyeon then turned to Baekhyun and exchanged a few apologetic words, to which Baekhyun merely shrugged. Jongin’s face was so red and scrunched up that he looked like an uprooted mandrake. Yeri suppressed a few giggles, hiding so that Jongin wouldn’t notice how openly she was looking down on him. 

 

And finally, the gates to the quidditch pitch opened, and the two teams entered the field to roaring applause and cheers. Yeri squinted at the Slytherin booth, looking for Tzuyu and Vernon. When she spotted them, she sent them an enthusiastic wave, to which Tzuyu pumped her fists and Vernon gave her a cool nod. 

 

“Good luck, guys! Jisoo, you better score first I bet 10 galleons and five chocolate frogs on you!” Tzuyu screamed over the crowd, and Yeri threw back her head laughing, while Jisoo gave Tzuyu a thumbs up and a cheeky grin. 

 

Madame Hooch’s whistle cut through the air like a dagger, and all the players shot into the air like a flurry of green and red confetti. Mina was the first to reach the quaffle, outflying Chanyeol and whizzing past Dahyun. Yeri flew up at a diagonal at her right, and Mina threw a quick pass, which Yeri had to stretch to catch. She looked at the goal post and narrowed her eyes, looking at the slim opening just at the left of Gryffindor’s keeper. 

 

And the quaffle sailed through the air—

 

“DAMNIT YERI THERE GOES MY MONEY.” Tzuyu screamed in anguish.

 

"Pay up." Vernon snickered.
 

And to start the game we have 10 bloody points for the puke capes—“ 

 

“Kim Jongdae!”

 

Sorry, sorry professor.” Jongdae’s unapologetic voice augmented with the magic microphone. “I just got so agitated—OH! IT’S OUR STAR CHASER, JUNGKOOK JEON WHO HAS POSSESSION OF THE QUAFFLE!

 

Yeri’s head swiveled around as her temporary bask in the spotlight quickly faded away, frowning as she caught sight of Jungkook who was racing towards Junmyeon—

 

And a bludger sailed through the air, narrowly missing Jungkook’s face by a mere inch, causing Jungkook to falter with his throw and miss the hoop. The Slytherin booth erupted into roars, and Jongin threw Jungkook a smirk, slinging the bat over his shoulder. “Nice try, cupcake.” 

 

Jungkook threw him a long look before swerving to the other end of the pitch, trying to catch up to Jisoo who now had the quaffle in his possession. 


For a second, his and Yeri’s eyes met. It was a strange moment—as if everything in the field except for them had been stopped in time. The sound of the students cheering in the booths faded out, the whizzing red and green capes came to a halt, and Jongdae’s yells were inaudible for just a millisecond. 

 

And Yeri could have stayed like that, letting the pools of Jungkook’s eyes enchant her, as cheesy as it sounded. 

 

But Madame Hooch’s whistle and a flying bludger brought Yeri back, and she shook her head quickly, before racing towards Gryffindor’s goal posts.

 

Oh, we have Slytherin’s chasers aiming at the goal posts and—YEAH THAT’S ING RIGHT NO POINTS—

 

“JONGDAE.”

 

Sorry, sorry. Oh, is that our Seeker Baekhyun Byun chasing after the golden snitch? It’s whizzing past the players like a stripper looking for the highest pay—and oh, how unfortunate for Slytherin’s Sehun Oh who almost knocks himself off his own broom in that turnaround.

 

“Jongdae, what did I say about biases?” 

 

Dahyun was in possession of the quaffle now, and Yeri narrowed her eyes. All she had to do was make a quick swerve right in front of Dahyun’s face to make her panic and drop the quaffle, so she directed her broom at full speed towards her—

 

—and she was so sure that she had a good few feet before reaching Dahyun, because it made no sense that something had crashed into her body, knocking her off her broom and leaving her sailing 200 feet in the air towards the ground. 

 

Yeri forgot to scream. As she squeezed her eyes shut and accepted her fate to appear tomorrow to class with a broken leg and quite possibly two broken arms, her fall was broken by someone who caught her body swiftly. 

 

Yeri carefully opened one eye carefully, and looked up at the person panting heavily onto her face.

 

Jeon Jungkook had her wrapped in his arms, looking down at her worriedly. Madame Hooch blew the whistle to pause the game, and Jungkook carefully set Yeri down onto the grass. Yeri stumbled slightly from the shock of falling over 100 feet and quite possibly breaking all the bones in her body, holding onto Jungkook’s shoulder for support. 

 

All the players swooped down from the air, and Madame Hooch ran towards Yeri, grabbing at her arms and inspecting her body. “Are you alright?”

 

“Yes, I’m quite alright now.” Yeri nodded, rubbing at her forearm, which was growing sore from Madame Hooch’s clutch. 

 

“Alright, we’ll resume the match. Players, positions!” Madame Hooch yelled, sweeping her black cape behind her as the rest of the professors who had rushed down to the field followed suit.

 

Yeri grabbed her broom and dusted at her green cape. 

 

“Hey.” 

 

Yeri turned around to face Jungkook, who looked apologetic. “I’m sorry about that. Really am.” 

 

“Are you the one who knocked me off my broom?” Yeri asked, raising an eyebrow. 

 

“Yeah. I didn’t mean to, and I really am sorry about that.”

 

“No need to keep apologizing. Everyone makes mistakes.” Yeri shrugged.

 

Jungkook gave her a little smile. “Come by the astronomy tower tomorrow, at 10. I’ll give you a proper apology.”

 

Without waiting to listen to Yeri’s protests, he skipped two strides before hopping on his broom, soaring through the air as many girls cheered. Yeri stood their dumbstruck for five seconds, before Madame Hooch’s whistle brought her back to reality. She quickly jumped onto her broom as well, and the match resumed.

 

 

 

“It’s a date.” Tzuyu confirmed, as Mina stared at Yeri with an unhinged mouth in the Great Hall.

 

Yeri puckered her brows as Vernon passed her the butter. “It really isn’t.”

 

“Uh, yeah it so totally is.”

 

 

pilot chap = shorter than most soz guys

 

hope u enjoyed and i hope it wasnt too boring ;_;