seven

Body, Mind & Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seven

 

 

The first snow of this winter falls just a few days into the month of December. A thin layer of frosty whiteness covers the streets of Seoul on the first day and then thickens quickly through the following ones. The weather becomes unpredictable, fluctuating wildly between snowfalls and bright and sunny. The only common detail is coldness.

About a month has gone by since the two soulmates first met each other and, while neither of them seem willing to say it aloud, it’s quite apparent that their mental bond has strengthened a lot already. Even now that he’s home and getting ready to go to work, Hyukjae can hear a few words of his soulmate’s random babbling. He smiles as he distractedly focuses on it, his hands busy working on his tie knot.

 

What time is it? Donghae wonders. I should get going… maybe… I don’t want to move… sofa is so comfy today! Then, after a few more minutes of reluctance, he shouts, where’s my other sock?!

 

This time, Hyukjae can’t help but laugh out loud. He shakes his head in fond disbelief and grabs his car keys, heading towards the entrance. After a last glance at his reflection in the mirror, he finally steps out. The contrast in temperatures makes him shudder uncomfortably and he grimaces slightly, then goes to press the button of the elevator.

 

You know, he muses to Donghae. I’ve never been to your house but I already have a strong feeling that there’s a mess everywhere.

 

A pause, followed by a rush of embarrassment and slight indignation that seeps in his mind. But Hyukjae knows it’s only harmless.

 

I have no idea what you’re talking about, Donghae huffs. My place is very tidy, thank you very much.

 

Hyukjae snickers and walks in the elevator. Sure it is. Did you find your sock?

 

The silence he earns in return is enough of an answer.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

“And, and, and then he thought that he’s been right all this time and that I do give nice hugs!” Donghae exclaims dreamily. He turns to Ryeowook, who seems busy working on orders, and smiles in unrestrained excitement. “Can you believe it? He said I give nice hugs!”

 

“How wonderful,” his friend retorts sarcastically. “It’d be even more if you could help a little, hyung.”

 

Swiftly ignoring the last part of his sentence, Donghae holds his chin on his two open palms while propping his elbows on the counter and gazes outside at the hospital. “I’m so lucky, Ryeowook. Hyukjae is so nice and cute and handsome… He’s a bit cheeky and playful but that’s, like, so charming! You know, I caught him thinking he wanted to cuddle with me once or twice already! Isn’t that great?”

 

“Yeah, yeah—fantastic,” Ryeowook grumbles. “Now can you keep quiet for a while? I’m sure even Hyukjae-hyung is getting tired of your babbling.”  

 

“He isn’t!” Donghae gasps indignantly, just as he hears Hyukjae protests in his mind, I’m not!

 

Surprised, he blinks and glances at the hospital building once again. Are you eavesdropping? he asks teasingly.

 

W—what, no, I’m not, I’m just—… His soulmate seems to pick up on his smugness and huffs embarrassingly. Well, what can I do when you’re practically screaming all your thoughts?

 

Now, now, Donghae smiles innocently. If you wanted to know what I thought about you, you could just have asked, Hyukjae.

 

A flat silence drops in his mind, prompting him to snicker childishly.

 

You’re annoying, Hyukjae sniffs, though not unkindly. Go help your coworker instead of embarrassing me.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

A few days later, as they settle themselves in the staff room of the maternity ward, Sooyoung rolls her eyes at Hyukjae, who pretends swiftly not to have noticed it. Instead, he stares hard at the patient file he’s holding between his hands, even though he already knows it by heart. At this point, everything is worth trying to deter his friend and make her stop nagging him all the time.

 

“I still think you should ask him on a date,” she reasons yet once again, which prompts Siwon to snicker next to her.

 

Flushing, Hyukjae sends them both a glare but isn’t too surprised when it goes unnoticed.

 

“I mean, I understand that you don’t want to rush things, to keep them slow,” Sooyoung continues while snacking on a chocolate bar. “But it’s been almost four weeks since you guys met already. A date won’t hurt, you know? You’re both

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter