nine

Body, Mind & Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Nine

 

 

Donghae wears such an outraged expression on his handsome face that Hyukjae has a hard time holding back on his laughter. He bites onto his lower lip to stifle it as much as he can, feigning innocence and confusion as he plays with the leaflet that was shoved into his hands earlier. Tilting his head around to the side, he breathes out slowly and watches condensation fade into the cold air, then tugs a little on Donghae’s sleeve. As fun as it is to be teasing his soulmate, it’s always funnier when there’s an actual response. Even in his mind, Donghae sounds so bewildered that his thoughts are almost all blank.

Hyukjae tugs again, and this time, it seems enough to snap Donghae out of his apparent indignation.

 

“What do you mean you still haven’t bought a Christmas tree?” he finally demands. “It’s December!”

 

Snickering, Hyukjae takes a few steps closer until their chests are almost touching. He catches the way Donghae’s gaze drifts briefly towards his lips, prompting him to smile a little wider, then wraps his arms around his waist until his soulmate takes the hint and hugs him back. “I don’t really see the point in having one,” he reasons. “It’s not like I usually celebrate Christmas at home anyway.”

 

“But, it’s still Christmas!” Donghae insists stubbornly as he tucks Hyukjae’s head under his chin. “You should get a tree at least!”

 

You’re cute, Hyukjae comments amusedly and peers up at him, enjoying the hues of pink that creep across the other’s face. Sighing happily, he cuddles closer and enjoys his warmth with a contented hum. “Will you help me choose one, then?” A Christmas tree? We could go and buy one sometime next week?

 

“Yes!” Donghae exclaims. “Of course! I can even help you decorate it if you want!” So does that mean it’ll be our second date?

 

“Good,” Hyukjae nods and then takes a step backwards, not missing the way his soulmate tries to hold him back for a while longer. “Then that’s settled. Let’s go take another look around, I’m getting a little hungry.” Who knows? he sing-songs airily. Maybe it is.

 

The two soulmates manage to navigate their way through the bustling crowd rather successfully, all the while peering at the tiny shops shimmering with tinsel and listening to Mariah Carey singing cheerfully in the background. Their hands are firmly entwined together and kept warm in Donghae’s pocket as they chatter over random topics, sometimes pointing to pretty trinkets on display whenever they find some. They try to look around for some original food stalls—I’ve always wanted to try hot mulled wine, Donghae confided, and while it isn’t exactly food, Hyukjae agrees with him—, taking their time to enjoy the market and each other’s company, until they find one at the other side of the square that proposes French specialties.

 

Are we eating frog legs? Donghae asks as they sit down at one of the free tables. That’s a French dish, right?

 

“Well, it is, but technically,” Hyukjae muses as he hands him one of the menus. “It’s also a Chinese dish, and I’m pretty sure it’s also consumed in Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia and some other countries.” Then, with a smile, he adds, “I don’t think they’d propose any, though. Frog legs are delicacies in France so it’d be too expensive to be proposed here.”

 

Donghae nods thoughtfully, a soft smile playing on his lips. “You know so many things,” he tells him. “And you always look so excited when you tell me about them; it’s very cute.”

 

Embarrassed, Hyukjae clears his throat and looks down at the menu. “I don’t,” he mumbles, before looking up in interest. “And you know a lot of things too! You told me that you liked to bake last time, right?”

 

Don’t think I haven’t realized your trying to change topics, Donghae scolds playfully. “And yeah, I do! Most of the cakes we sell at the coffee shop are baked by both Sungmin-hyung and I. I don’t think you’ve met him but he works with us too. Always hidden in the kitchen though.”

 

“I tried to bake once when I was a kid. For a school event thing,” Hyukjae tells him with a snicker. “Mom’s never allowed me back in the kitchen ever since.” And yes, but can you blame me? he retorts. Talking about you is much more interesting.

 

“I could teach you if you want,” his soulmate offers with a smile, blushing slightly from his wordless comment. Is it just me or are you flirting with me, Lee Hyukjae?

 

Hyukjae laughs and leans forward a little, his elbows propped up on the wobbly table. “I’d love too,” he nods excitedly. What do you think? he then says with a mischievous tone. He loves the fact that they can be sincere to each other even if it’s only through their thoughts, because that’s surely not something he would have had the courage to say out loud.

 

A few minutes later while they’re still engrossed in each other and sharing secrets glances, a boisterous waiter comes over to take their orders. “Two Christmas sets for the two lovebirds over here!” he shouts too loudly, and it’s so embarrassing that Hyukjae swears he’s ready to crawl in a hole and stay there for the rest of his life.

But Donghae is laughing wholeheartedly in front of him and is playfully asking the owner if that means they can get discounts, and he sends Hyukjae a daring wink and th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter