eleven

Body, Mind & Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Eleven

 

 

 

Hyukjae proposes to decorate Sermoline The Christmas Tree on the following Saturday, inviting his soulmate over for dinner. Mind buzzing with excitement, Donghae accepts happily and tells him he’ll be there as soon as possible. Which might be around five or six, if that’s okay with you, he tells him pensively. I’d like to go home and take a shower first. And possibly get a change of clothes. Hyukjae replies that he doesn’t need to and that he doesn’t mind, not at all, but Donghae insists and he can only smile at his adorable stubbornness.

Saturday afternoon comes around quickly enough, and thanks to a day-off he managed to threaten out of Siwon, Hyukjae is proud to say he spent all morning cleaning his apartment. The result isn’t much different from what it was originally—he’s quite adamant about keeping his environment as clean as possible—, but he’s still immensely satisfied with himself. Sighing deeply, he flops down onto his couch and stretches his arms over his head. A quick glance at the wall-clock tells him that it’s already half past five o’clock. He hums to himself and rolls his sore shoulder—wiping windows is more dangerous than it seems—, then glances down at his clothes to make sure he didn’t ruin them since he put them on earlier.

 

You didn’t need to do that, you know? Donghae pipes up then, startling him out of his thoughts. I’m sorry you had to do all this just for me.

 

Hyukjae laughs, shaking his head in amusement. It’s fine, really, he reassures him. I would have cleaned the house anyway. Plus, I like it when I look nice.

 

I’m sure you look amazing then, Donghae chuckles with a mischievous tone and Hyukjae can almost imagine him wriggling his eyebrows playfully.

 

Keep those compliments coming and I might be persuaded to make some tea before you come over, Hyukjae snickers.

 

A dramatic gasp reaches his ears. Temptation! You know how to talk to a man, don’t you? Please make it black tea, oh flawless and gorgeous soulmate of mine! Your magnificence blinds me! You’re perfection! A miracle of beauty! The cutest cupcake I’ve ever seen!

 

By then, Hyukjae is laughing so hard he’s started to tear up in the middle of his couch. You earned yourself a cookie for that. Fear not, he declares solemnly as he stands up and heads for the kitchen, it’s an industrial packet that I bought in a cheap supermarket. I wouldn’t dare to give you something I baked myself. You might die—I do not want that.

He chuckles again when he hears a small ‘yeah, me neither, that’s for sure’, before adding nonchalantly, By the way, nice try blocking your thoughts about the yogurt cake. You were almost there.

 

There’s a whine that reaches his mind, soon followed by a moody huff. Donghae grumbles incoherently and seems reluctant to speak up for a moment, embarrassment flooding through. How did you know? he finally demands to know, a pout obvious in his voice. I thought I’d done a good job at hiding that thought!

 

Hyukjae smiles indulgently as he reaches out for a kettle and pours water in it. Actually, I didn’t hear a thing about cakes or anything. It’s when you started wondering if you should put it in a big or small box that I just guessed what it was about.

 

Silence answers him at him, and then, a disgruntled, damn.

 

 

 

There’s a knock at the door about ten minutes after Hyukjae finished brewing the hot drink. Tilting his head up, he wipes a drop of tea that fell on the counter, and then goes to open the door with his heart pounding rhythmically in his chest. Sure enough, Donghae is standing at the other side, smiling happily and carrying a white box in his right hand.

 

“Hi,” he greets him brightly. Hyukjae, he murmurs distractedly. Soulmate—my Hyukjae.

 

Yes, soulmate—Donghae. Grinning back, Hyukjae tugs him inside and presses a long kiss on his lips as soon as Donghae goes past the doorframe. The latter releases a surprised sound but kisses him back eagerly, leaning forward until their chests are pressed flush together. The two men sigh in unison, mouths brushing one upon another. Soon enough, they find themselves only hugging each other and swaying back and forth, the door still wide open.

 

“Hi,” Hyukjae mutters softly. When Donghae tries to lean over and kiss him again, he stops him with a cheeky smirk. “Look up,” he says. “Mistletoe.”

And then he runs back inside, embarrassed, and leaving his soulmate to stare up at the ceiling in confusion.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 

“I think maybe the red tinsel looks better than this one. Or maybe the blue one? Blue looks pretty.”

 

It’s about halfway through wrestling with the tinsel fabrics which got tangled up in their box that Donghae looks up over at his soulmate. Perched on the armrest of the couch, Hyukjae idly watches the progress of the decorating while steadily munching his way through an entire packet of cookies. The one that he promised Donghae earlier, the latter notes mournfully.

Hyukjae then gives him a winning smile when Donghae narrows his eyes at him, and sways his legs back and forth, perfect picture of innocence.

 

“Maybe you could get up and help me,” Donghae shakes his head, feigning exasperation while all he can really muster is warm affection. “You know, like you said you would? Actually, I’m supposed to be the one helping but here I am, doing all the work.”

 

“I wouldn’t want to bother you,” Hyukjae says solemnly, as if it pains him deep inside not to partake in the activity. “You look like you’re enjoying yourself way too much. Who am I to ruin your fun?”

 

You’re just being lazy, Donghae retorts with a snort.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter