Chapter 9

At The End of This Road, You Must Love Me

“We meet again.”

To her ears, it sounded so seductive and that caused her to flash her famous flirty smile.

“Hong Ki-ssi.”

He smiled at her way of greeting.

“So formal” he whispered and sat down in front of her.

She averted her eyes, looking out of the café window.

“What a coincidence meeting you here. Do you live nearby?” she asked.

“I do. I just came to have some coffee….why aren’t you looking at me?”

She looked at him and he smiled even wider.

“Why should I look at you?” she playfully teased.

Hong Ki suppressed a laugh.

“Because I am good to look at” he replied, finally bursting into laughter.

Min joined in and finally smiled at him.

“Oh, you look so pretty with a smile” he said and gave a thumbs up.

“You’re so free with compliments. We don’t even know each other that well” she replied, crossing her arms but secretly enjoying the moment.

“We could be closer if you want.”

Their eyes met and Min felt a small rush from that. Hong Ki looked away first.

“Do you want to grab something to eat with me…or are you waiting for your boyfriend?”

Min quickly glanced at her watch. It was almost 3pm, which meant Kikwang was probably home. She had been away since the morning, hanging out with friends and simply wasting time until she had to go home later. She needed to prepare things for tomorrow but she just didn’t want to head home yet. She caught Hong Ki looking at her and she smiled, grateful that he unknowingly provided her with a distraction to not head home yet.

“Sure, let’s eat.”

“Here?” he asked.

She nodded and grabbed the menu.

“Of course here. I barely know you, so I won’t be going anywhere with you” she replied.

Hong Ki smirked at that.

“But you didn’t hesitate when I offered to walk you home.”

Min hid her face within the menu, causing Hong Ki to laugh once more.

“Hong Ki-oppa, I’m having a Christmas party tomorrow at my place. You should come.”

There was a small pause.

“I’ll go.”

Min silently let out the breath she was holding in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyosung whined as Hyuna yet again pulled her into another shop.

“Unnie, look at this one!!!”

Hyosung looked on as Hyuna twirled around with a small black dress in her hand.

“What do you think?” Hyuna asked.

Hyosung looked at the dress but immediately disapproved once she saw it.

“No, no, no! It’s too short!”

Hyuna pouted.

“Unnie! You think every dress is too short. I need one for tomorrow and so do you.”

Hyosung sighed and looked at the dress once more. In all honesty, the dress was perfect for Hyuna.

“Okay, okay. Get the dress.”

Hyuna jumped up and down in happiness.

“Unnie, you should look for a new dress too.”

“I have plenty of dresses, Hyuna-yah.”

Hyuna pouted and just shrugged in defeat, her eyes wandering over to a red dress. She pushed past Hyosung and quickly grabbed it, hiding it behind her back as she made her way back to Hyosung.

“I think you will change your mind after you try this dress on. Try it on!” Hyuna said as she pushed Hyosung into a fitting room.

Hyosung frowned as she looked at the dress. Yes, it was very pretty and yes, she did love it but she was unsure. She could see Hyuna impatiently shuffling her feet and decided to just try on the dress to make Hyuna. However, once she tried on the dress, she was stunned by how beautiful it really was. It was plain with no designs but it hugged her body perfectly. It was short and strapless, with a small bow on the chest area.

“Unnie! Are you done? Show me!”

Hyosung opened the door and Hyuna instantly gasped.

“Buy it” she simply said.

Hyosung smiled and nodded. She couldn’t hide the fact that she loved the dress and even though she was trying to deny it with all her heart, she hoped someone else would also like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kikwang watched as the snow fell past the window, not necessarily thinking about anything.

“Are you done getting ready?”

Kikwang looked towards Min, who was busy pulling on a nice purple mini dress.  She looked at him and motioned for help. He went over and zipped up her dress. They both looked up towards the mirror and saw their reflection. Min smiled for a brief moment before she looked down to find her earrings on the dresser.

Kikwang buttoned his shirt up and fixed his dress pants. It was almost time for the party to begin. They both had invited many friends and were expecting a big turnout. Kikwang paused as he thought of Hyosung for a brief moment. They hadn’t seen each other in a week but it seemed she never left his mind. He glanced over at his pillow and smiled before he finished getting ready and walked out of the room. The entire apartment was decorated with lights and ornaments.

“Min-ah, the apartment looks great” he said and walked into the kitchen.

Min smiled as she looked up from her cupcakes.

“Really?” she asked,her smiling widening. It had been days since Kikwang had seen her smile like that. He missed it.

“Yeah, I’m sure everyone will be praising you tonight.”

He came close to her and she stopped what she was doing to look at him. He bent down and planted a small kiss on her cheek. It surprised the both of them. It was probably the only time Kikwang had ever kissed her on her cheek and not her lips. It felt both sweet and unfamiliar.

“Thanks for preparing everything” he said and then walked away.

Kikwang walked into the living room and hooked up his iPod to the stereo and the sound of soft music filled the apartment. Everything was ready; all that was missing was the people.

~~~~~~~~~~

Min laughed as Suzy swatted her boyfriend Yoseob away. He latched on to Suzy and gave her a big kiss on the lips.

“Yah! Yang Yoseob!” Suzy screamed.

Yoseob high fived Kikwang and smiled at Suzy before he waved the small mistletoe in her face.

The sudden ring of the doorbell interrupted her mind and she made her way towards the door. She opened it, freezing slightly as she saw Hong Ki standing there in a suit and a dazzling smile.

“Merry Christmas” he said and stepped closer to her.

Min could feel her face getting hot from his staring. She managed to smile and moved aside.

“Merry Christmas” she said.

Hong Ki stepped inside the apartment and marveled at the amount of people.

“Wow, you have a lot of friends.”

Min shut the door and took his coat.

“Don’t be shy. Go talk to people. I’ll be right back.”

She walked off and placed his coat inside the bedroom along with everyone else’s coats. When she walked back out, she was surprised to see Hong Ki laughing with Kikwang. She walked over and stood next to Kikwang.

“What are you guys talking about?” she asked, very curious to find out since she didn’t want Hong Ki to know anything embarrassing about her.

“Kikwang-ssi was just telling me about how Yoseob-ah and him met” replied Hong Ki, his stare piercing her.

She smiled at him.

“Hong Ki-oppa…” she suddenly stopped talking at glanced at Kikwang.

Hong Ki looked at her, waiting for her to talk. She looked at Kikwang and noticed he wasn’t even paying attention. Usually, he would get jealous if she called someone else ‘Oppa’. She looked back to Hong Ki, deciding to just brush off the moment.

“Are you hungry or thirsty?” she asked.

“A little bit of both” he replied.

Min smiled at his response. She didn’t know why she was just smiling so much.

“Okay. Follow me towards the kitchen” she replied and grabbed his arm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kikwang glanced once more towards the door. The party had started over almost 2 hours ago and still there was no sign of the person he wanted to see. He thought about their last encounter and he wondered if it was true that she thought of him too. He could feel his spirit deflating. Maybe she wouldn’t want to come. He knew he was making it hard on her. She is with someone else and yet he still talked to her about his feelings. He looked out the window again and saw the snow still falling. It was the day before Christmas and yet, the snow seemed so sudden.  There was a sudden knock on the door and his heart beat sped up. He went over to the door and took a deep breath. He opened the door.

“Kikwang-ah!!” Joon said and pulled Kikwang into a hug.

“You finally came” Kikwang replied.

Joon walked in and was followed by two other people. Kikwang felt his stomach fill with butterflies when he saw Hyosung. She looked extremely beautiful and she radiated. He couldn’t find enough words to describe what he felt. She slowly looked at him and it was if they were in their own little world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hong Ki smiled as he watched Min eat another cupcake before he took a bite of his own.

“Mmmm…” he said and took another bite.

“They’re good right?” she asked.

“Yeah. Very good. You’re amazing!”

Min froze at those words and so did he. She looked away from him and laughed, trying to ease the awkward moment. When she turned back to Hong Ki, he was staring at her intently. There was a moment of silence but then he smiled.

“I’m attracted to you Min.”

They were in the kitchen, alone, and there was no chance of anyone hearing them. She wasn’t surprised by his confession.  She knew by the way he looked at her. She had had plenty of experience. She smiled because she was truly pleased. She knew she was attracted to him too.

“I admit that I am attracted to you too…but there is nothing I am going to do.”

He nodded in understanding and smirked.

“You could always just break up with him.”

She shook her head and his smirk seemed to falter.

“I don’t think it’s an option. We aren’t finished with whatever we have going on.”

Hong Ki furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

“What do you mean?” he asked and stepped closer to her to hear her.

“What I mean is…I feel that we are drifting apart…but I’m not willing to give him up just yet.”

Min knew it didn’t sound logical. She didn’t even know what she was trying to say. She was aware that she has been deliberately distancing herself from him and that a break up is inevitable but she knew Kikwang was someone special to her. He was someone she didn’t want to lose and she wanted to keep him close.

“Do you still love him?” he asked.

She looked up at him and felt the same thing she felt when she first looked at Kikwang and that scared her a little.

“I’m not sure and that’s why I have to wait a little longer to see what happens.”

Hong Ki sighed and touched her arm.

“I can wait.”

Min looked at him in surprise.

“I’m not asking you to wait” she replied, her voice shaking from the shiver he had sent up her spine.

Hong Ki laughed a little and smiled, looking into her eyes.

“Come to me when you’re ready.”

He bent down and kissed the corner of . She stood still, silently enjoying the feel of his soft lips on her skin. Her heart was jumping and her stomach felt as if it had hit the floor. Hong Ki back away and took another cupcake into his mouth, watching her intently as she finally smiled and shook her head at him.

“You work fast” she said, grabbing another cupcake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You look very beautiful.”

The whisper in her ear jumpstarted her already excited heart. She looked up and saw him standing in front of her with a small smile. He looked very handsome but then again when didn’t he? His smile was like an arrow through her heart. She hadn’t seen him in a while but she thought of him constantly and even though the guilt was sometimes too much, she still refused to not think of him. He was infectious to her, like no one else had ever been.

“Thank you Kikwang-ssi. You look handsome” she whispered.

Kikwang moved and stood right next to her, his eyes on Joon who was across the room dancing with Hyuna.

“Kikwang-ssi? Will you never call me Kikwang-ah ever again?” he asked in a hushed tone.

Even though there were a lot of people, he still spoke in a hushed tone. Hyosung almost smiled.

“Can I call you that?” she asked.

There was a small pause.

“I still think about that day when we ate spicy rice cakes. You called me Kikwang-ah and I felt as if my heart would burst from happiness. Can’t you at least grant me that happiness?”

Hyosung bit her lip. He spoke with such sincere emotion. Was he really that happy? She glanced at him very briefly and saw him already looking at her. She wanted to say something to him. She turned to him and he looked at her. His eyes were too much for her and so she looked away.

“Can I use your restroom?”

He was silent but she didn’t dare look at him.

“Follow me.”

He walked past her and she followed behind him. She looked at the people she passed by but none of them seemed to pay attention to where they were going. Sure, they looked at her but they didn’t question or suspect if anything was going on with them. She followed him into a room, stopping when she saw a bed. She looked at him in shock.

“The bathroom is over here.”

He pointed to another door. She suddenly felt bad for thinking bad things. She walked past him and went inside. She shut the door and let out a deep breath. She looked at herself in the mirror and saw her flushed face and her bright eyes. She shook her head and took a couple more deep breaths before she finally calmed down enough to exit the bath room. She walked out in to the room and looked around. Her eyes landed on the bed and it hit her that Kikwang shared his bed with Min every night and she felt a small pang of jealousy. She shook her head and turned her head away, gasping when she saw Kikwang leaning against the wall, looking at her.

“You scared me” she whispered.

She walked towards him, passing him to get to the door but even though they both knew better, his hand grasped her bare arm and held her in place.

“What are you doing Kikwang-ah?”

Her tone was soft.

Kikwang turned her around to face him.

“I just want to look at you a bit longer without having to worry about anyone seeing.”

“Don’t do this” she replied and touched his hand with her own in an attempt to release herself from his grip.

He didn’t let her go and instead pulled her closer. She looked at him, surprised to see his face so close to hers.

“Kikwang-ah…”

The way she said his name made his heart beat faster. He pulled her a little closer, his other hand holding onto her other arm. She didn’t push him away and that gave him confidence.

“Your eyes always brighten up when I look at you.”

He laughed a little and she couldn’t help but smile. He lifted her chin up.

“I wish you would smile at me again like when we first met.”

Hyosung pulled her face away from his hand.

“I don’t think it would be a good idea” she replied.

“Why not?” he asked.

“Because I think if I smile at you, I’ll start to like you more.”

“I won’t stop you.”

They stared at each other.

“Why can’t I have you?” he whispered.

She froze at those words and right when she was going to pull away, he hugged her to his chest.

“We shouldn’t do this Kikwang-ah. Min and-”

She stopped talking when he leaned in close. He stared at her face and she couldn’t stop herself from looking either.

“Stop me…”

He closed in and she could tell he was going for her lips. Her mind screamed at her to stop him but her arms didn’t move, her legs weren’t working and her eyes were closing on their own. And then it happened.

His lips met hers and it seemed the world had stopped. His lips were firm and wide as they pushed against her own soft and tender lips. It was a sweet short kiss that ended up magnifying their already bursting feelings. Kikwang was the first to pull away. She opened her eyes and looked at him. He pulled her into a hug. She hugged him back before she finally pulled away.

“What have we done?” she whispered.

Kikwang looked away from her because it hurt to see her like that.

“I won’t ask you to break up with Joon-hyung or to even do this again. I just wanted to let you know how I felt. If you regret it, I’m sorry, but I won’t take any of this back.”

He grabbed her and kissed her one more time, making sure she felt how much he really liked her. He let her go and exited the room, leaving her alone.

Later that night, he watched as she left with Joon, hand in hand, as if nothing happened. When he looked at her, he felt crushed because she looked at him with her bright eyes. She walked out once more, with someone else and there was nothing he could do but watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FINALLY!!!! I finally had a Kisung moment worth talking about!! I also brought Hong Ki back!! Are things getting confusing yet???? I did feel bad for Kisung. They seized a moment and in the end, that’s all they could do before going back to the people they are in a relationship with. Why don’t they just break up with their partners??? Easy….if they did that, I would have no plot!! LOL. Let me know what you thought about it!!!

***********Chapter song inspiration time!!! A sad song with a longing message?? Sounds like the perfect song for KISUNG!! Not to mention…my 2 biases sing it!!!