Chapter 10: Cool Aids

I'm Not Your Cinderella

 

 

 

CHAPTER 10

Cool Aids

 

“You should have stayed at home.”

Baekhyun heard the giant said right after he stepped into the lift. It was the start of another week, and Baekhyun unfortunately felt a little off. He kept on sneezing, his nose was quite stuffy and it felt like ten tiny demons kept on pounding his skull as soon as he got off his bed. He could had called the office to tell them that he would just work from home, but his ego wouldn’t be able to take criticism from others for being ‘incompetent’.

He was just being professional. And work was work. Sick or not, he had to work.

However, just his luck, Mr. CEO saw him walking towards the building from his car before he parked. Chanyeol stopped on his tracks and pulled down the window from the driver’s seat just in time Baekhyun had to sneeze behind his plain, black face mask.

He asked if he was okay, which made the younger scowled behind his cover and glared at the giant. Baekhyun wanted to punch his face for two reasons—one, it was obvious that he was not okay, why was he even asking? And two—this was Park Chanyeol’s fault.

T’was this freaking giant elf’s fault!

Instead of answering him, Baekhyun stomped inside the building. He hoped to get into the lift but unfortunately it closed already so he had to wait. When it finally came back to the lobby’s floor, Baekhyun hopped in immediately, seeing that Chanyeol was on his way inside. It was a déjà vu of what happened to them back in the condo building when Chanyeol saw him in the elevator.

And just like last time, Chanyeol, with his long legs and large steps managed to catch up with the lift before it closed down.

 

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol tried again when the younger ignored him. When he got nothing again, he grabbed his elbows not so gently for the illustrator to face him. “I told you to look at me when I am talking to you, right?”

Baekhyun scowled as he tried to take his hand arm back. But Chanyeol had other ideas. He pushed him until Baekhyun was trapped between his body and the corner of the lift. “Mr. Park,” he warned, giving the elder a stern look. “We’re at work.”

Chanyeol scoffed, “I woke up that morning with no one beside me and a made breakfast downstairs. I ing knocked at your doorstep for hours, kept on coming back thinking you’d finally let me in and talk to you, but you kept the door locked and not once did you let me have a second. We’re not at work yesterday, princess. So now why pull this card when you don’t even play fair?”

Baekhyun tried to shove him back, but the CEO was too damn stubborn to get the message that he didn’t want this right now.

“Get off of me, Park Chanyeol, don’t you know that they could see you through the CCTV? Please don’t make a scene, okay?”

“Then talk to me, goddammit!” Chanyeol slammed his fist on the wall beside Baekhyun’s head, causing the latter to jump in surprise. “What’s the problem, princess? Was it because of the ing phone call from Sehun? Was it because I got jealous and cranky? Was it because of my fever—“

“It’s not that, you idiot!” Baekhyun exclaimed, finally putting a space between him and the CEO when Chanyeol stumbled back when Baekhyun pushed him harder. “It’s because of you! You’re the problem, Park Chanyeol!” he exclaimed.

“What?!”

Baekhyun saw that they were about to arrive to their floor before he spat out, “You… You are ing unfair, you kissed me and you brought me to your bed and we made out like we’re about to--… to…” Baekhyun groaned and ran a hand on his face. He was so red, just thinking that by that time, he was really aroused and he had gathered his courage to throw his insecurities and doubts out the window and to just let his heart guide him.

The lift opened after a single bell. Baekhyun chose not to continue but to stomp to his office with red ears and cheeks. But Chanyeol caught up with him before he got inside his office.

“Baekhyun—“

“Chanyeol shut up!” exclaimed Baekhyun who had short circuit patience. He pointed his slim index finger at the CEO and hissed, “You ing owe me big last time. I cooked for you, change your clothes, nursed you back to health and I gave you that one big chance to get into my pants. It took me a lot of courage to throw myself at you and let my heart win that night and you just ing have to pass out on me! Thanks a lot, Park! I had to dream of unnecessary things about you and take a cold shower at the wrong time of the night and now I can’t stop my snot from streaming out of my nose, er!”

Chanyeol was left gaping at him the whole time he ranted. The CEO’s tight grip loosened and the frown on his face slowly faded from confused, irritated, into a very familiar -eating grin and mischief.

“What are you grinning at?!” Baekhyun glowered.

“Oh… so it’s my fault you caught a cold…because you took a shower because you got a bone—“

“Don’t you dare say it,” Baekhyun snarled.

The CEO shot his palms up in surrender, but still he was grinning from ear to ear when Baekhyun opened the door to his office. He didn’t know why but he laughed so hard when Baekhyun shut his door closed. It was a laugh of relief and fondness, a very good one in fact. He went back to work that morning in a good shape, good mood and a pot belly ego.

Baekhyun wasn’t angry just because of the kiss that happened. He was angry because that kiss didn’t last longer, or rather, it didn’t escalated from a simple making out session. In short, Baekhyun was pissed off for he was left behind right after gathering his senses to give in. Chanyeol would have to blame it on his health, but now, knowing that Baekhyun felt the same attraction, the same pull that he was feeling, was enough for Chanyeol to understand that Baekhyun was willing to give them a chance.

 

-----------

 

Sneezing for the hundredth time already, Baekhyun was certain that he would get his revenge from that elfish CEO once he got a chance. Let’s just set aside that he had reciprocate the kiss, but to him, it wouldn’t happen if the giant didn’t started it! Okay, fine, he might have liked it, he might have anticipated something…more… but still, Park Chanyeol passed his virus to him! Of all things, Baekhyun hated cold and fever. It made his nose stuffy and he couldn’t breathe through them. Plus, they made him sneeze trice! And add the headaches it caused, Baekhyun was sure that he was on the edge of life and death.

Sitting on his leather chair, he put down the stylus and rubbed his temples with his fingers. With a sniff he closed his eyes and prayed that he’d get better soon. He was aware that he was also warmer than usual, but he didn’t have the time to get his temperature for Sehun needed his drawing by the end of the day. He managed to finish the characters’ drafts yesterday and Sehun and Kyungsoo gave him the go signal to draw the specified scenes from the edited chapters Kyungsoo had passed to him yesterday night. He only had three days to finish the six scenes. Baekhyun was thankful that they would be printed with no colors, or else, three days for six scenes would not be enough.

There were three knocks from the outside but Baekhyun was using his headphones so he didn’t hear it. He was still leaning against his chair when the door opened, and Chanyeol entered his office. The CEO found him on that position, and heard his soft sniffles which made the elder even more worried than how he was.

Chanyeol noticed the white headphones connected to the Mac, the reason why Baekhyun didn’t hear him call. He made sure to lock the door to secure their privacy, although it was already past five and most of the employees had gone home already. Chanyeol took a few steps before he stopped behind the illustrator’s chair. Reaching out, he took one of the earpiece, startling the resting man.

Before Baekhyun could react, Chanyeol’s large and warm hand pressed his forehead, feeling his temperature. When he realized that Baekhyun had a mild fever, his face darkened with concern. Crouching down, he turned the man’s chair, facing him. He was now practically between Baekhyun’s legs, but given the situation, Chanyeol chose to ignore the fact that the position wasn’t really ideal for the time of the day.

He raised his other hand, which was holding a paper bag of medical supplies he bought for himself this lunch break. He took out a cooling pad, much to Baekhyun’s surprise. Wordlessly, the CEO peeled it off and stacked it on his forehead. Then he took out Mefenamic acid pills from it. Chanyeol took his hands from resting on the armrest, placing the unopened pack of Advil. “Take this to lessen your headache, princess.”

Baekhyun stared at the pills and then back to Chanyeol. “You bought these?”

Chanyeol nodded, fingers rearranging the fringes of Baekhyun’s bangs. “I did, are you hungry? You shouldn’t take that without eating anything first.” If Baekhyun noticed how Chanyeol’s hands fell on his knees and thighs, rubbing it comfortingly, he didn’t say anything about it. The younger shook his head and opened one, popping the med in his mouth before taking three gulps of water from his jug.

“I just ate some snacks thirty minutes ago,” he said.

“Good,” Chanyeol smiled as he stood, leaning against Baekhyun’s table, crossing his arms. “But I really think you should rest tomorrow.”

“No,” Baekhyun frowned, taking his stylus back. He played with it between his fingers. His eyes fell on the image he was drawing a while ago, but his mind was elsewhere. “I need to get this done by six today and email Sehun the finished ones.”

“Is that the last one?” Chanyeol asked, glancing at the masterpiece on the screen.

“Yes, I’ll just finish up the last touches then I’m going to save it.” Baekhyun twisted his chair to face the computer and went back to work. He tried to ignore Chanyeol’s presence. But the giant made it so hard for him when he leaned closer and watched him work. Ten minutes into it and Baekhyun couldn’t take the attention. He took a deep breath before snapping his head back to the CEO, startling the latter.

His face though, when he turned, was dangerously near the elder, a few inches and their nose would touch. Chanyeol’s eyes were fixed on his, Baekhyun didn’t know why he felt like they were him in.

The words he was about to say to the elder, such as ‘Get back to your work, stop staring at me’, were swallowed together with his tongue, replaced by series of questions which answers were nowhere to be found.

Why are you so close?

Look away Chanyeol! Don’t hold the gaze.

Why are you closing your eyes, idiot!

Don’t come closer, Don’t come any closer—

Baekhyun made a soft sound, like a yelp of a puppy when Chanyeol pressed his lips against his. It was a soft brush of their pair, gentle and light. His heart was doing it again, the violent drumming, the leaping and the flipping. Baekhyun in his breath when Chanyeol repeated the same action, now taking his upper lip in between his teeth, gently nipping.

When Chanyeol decided to ignore the fact that they were in the office and deepened the lip lock, Baekhyun lost a grip of rational reasons.

The next time he found himself sane enough to realize that he was now straddling the CEO on the leather chair he was previously sitting on, his lips were already swollen and moistened with their mixed spit.

Chanyeol chuckled at the sight of his disheveled princess. He straightened up Baekhyun’s sweatshirt that he tugged and fisted a couple of minutes ago, and he brushed his large fingers against his own locks. Baekhyun seemed to have a thing in grabbing his hair whenever they, ehem, make out.

Baekhyun thought the CEO was making fun of him, so he stood up immediately with a scowl, “Are you laughing at me?”

“No, princess, you’re just cute. Look at you, I could have mistaken you as tomato’s twin.”

Baekhyun’s ears turned red as he flushed. Even though he lost the words, he got back to the CEO by stomping on his foot again, earning a wail.

“Baek! What the !”

“Serves you right, . Stand up, that’s my seat! You’re disturbing me!”

Chanyeol scoffed but did as told anyway. “I take it that you like the distraction anyway. Your lips are so swollen.”

“Shut up, Park.”

“Hey, we’re still in the office,” Chanyeol grinned. Baekhyun whipped his head back to him with a raised brow. “Oh yeah? Says the one who kissed his employee in his office?”

Chanyeol chuckled and teased, “But you kissed me back.”

Baekhyun blew his bangs in annoyance, rolling his eyes as he raised his mid finger at the CEO. Chanyeol guffawed at the sight, even more when Baekhyun went back to work with red cheeks and ears. He ruffled his hair before leaning close to his ear and said, “If I get sick again we’re quits princess, if not, let’s just take it that you nursed me really well that I became untouchable by colds and fever.”

That night when Baekhyun has just finished taking a shower, he felt much lighter and better. As he sat on the couch, staring at the used cool aid on the coffee table, he couldn’t help but smile. As much as the elder was a jerk, Chanyeol could also be a gentleman whenever he wanted to.

Baekhyun took a deep breath, throwing the towel he was using to dry his hair on the other couch. And even when he his television, the only image that registered in his mind was a face with a pair of almond shape eyes, perfectly sculpted nose, lips stretched into a teasing smirk and of course, the ears that stacked out adorably on both sides.

 

----------

 

 

More days passed, and their work escalated as time went by. Yet with every dropped of sweat and effort, their hard work had been paid off. Sehun released his first book the following month, as scheduled, Baekhyun’s name printed under his name on the cover he illustrated himself. Sales day by day increased, and of course, the book had been the topic all over the net.

For now, Baekhyun was given a not so tight schedule. It gave him time to recharge since the past weeks had been a series of lattes and all-nighters. But he never waste his time dillydallying. When he had nothing to do, he spent his time practicing, sketching portraits. When the mood hits, sometimes he’d do some traditional painting with water color, so it wouldn’t smell in his room.

But today, at this certain time, Baekhyun chose to try some other menus in the cafeteria. He hadn’t had enough time to, since someone’s keep on delivering lunch in his office every day. Believe it or not, Baekhyun and Chanyeol managed to hide the fact that they were seeing each other. Not actually dating officially, no, but the fact that they’ve kissed and they’ve spent some nights in dinner dates after working hours was clear enough for both of them that they were far more than friends.

But the thing was, neither of them dared to ask each other, What are we? Are we lovers? Or is this just some kind of fling?

It left them both hanging, but both hoping.

 

-----------

 

Baekhyun finished a plate full of pasta meal and yogurt milk as his lunch when he saw the commotion in the lobby. The receptionist table was crowded with men in suits, black glasses and earpieces. Honestly Baekhyun thought there was a taping here until he heard Joy talked.

“I’m so sorry sir, Mr. Park isn’t available right now. He is in an important meeting with the board members and the chairman.”

Baekhyun curiously tried to peek between the shoulders of the towering men in glasses, the personal guards, he supposed. He saw one man in a semi-casual attire whispered to the tallest man. From the illustrator’s point of view, the latter was even taller than Chanyeol—hell that man was a giant already, but his guy was a few inches taller. He had pale blonde hair, pale complexion and a very intimidating aura. Standing proud in a white, patterned cashmere sweater and dark brown coat, the man leaned closer to the table with a raised brow.

“Tell your CEO that he has been declining my calls for a week already, and if he doesn’t meet me today right after his meeting, he will not like the consequences.”

Baekhyun almost choked in his spit, hearing the man speak in full English. The man beside him translated the exact words in Korean.

Seeing that Joy was having a little episode inside, troubled and torn apart to what to do, Baekhyun decided to step in and take their attention.

“Joy, if Sehun decides to come today, please tell him to come to my office, we’ll have something to discuss about.”

“O-Okay, Baekhyun.”

“Thank you,” he smiled.

“Baekhyun?” he heard the man, the foreigner, said. He pronounced his name with a little difficulty, but the said man turned to him with a smile, bowing his head as a recognition.

“So you’re the illustrator of Mr. Oh’s latest, book?” he said in his mother tongue. The man beside him was about to translate it for him but Baekhyun chuckled and said, “Yes, I am. I’m honored to work with the greatest author in Korea.” Baekhyun offered a hand for a shake.  “My name is Byun Baekhyun, it’s a pleasure to meet you mister…?”

All spoken in fluent English, Baekhyun had the guest raising his defined brows before a pleased and an amused smile stretched his full lips.

“You must be new because you don’t know me, Mr. Byun,” chuckled the man, taking his hand and shook it. “My name is Kevin Heinsworth. Let’s just say that I’m Park Chanyeol’s old pal.”

As fast as the name registered in Baekhyun’s mind, a much larger hand gripped his wrist and yanked it back. Baekhyun gasped when he realized that Chanyeol was standing beside him, gripping his wrists tight. When he looked up, he saw the rage blazing in the CEO’s eyes, piercing daggers against the other man.

“What are you doing here, Kevin.” He asked in foreign language

The said man grinned a gummy smile, eyes lingering on Chanyeol’s hands that was gripping Baekhyun’s joint before saying, “I’m here to visit an old friend, Chanyeol. Why so rude?”

All the while the two were having their conversation, Baekhyun was left unblinking on his frozen state. Since the attention were on the two, no one noticed how he pale he had gotten.

“Stop pretending, what do you want?” Chanyeol hissed to prevent a bigger commotion.

Kevin’s eyes darkened, his smile disappeared when he said. “I’m here for your sister, Chanyeol. You know that right?” He closed the distance between them, leaning close to the CEO’s ear, spilling everything only for him to hear.

“Take all the gold and wealth, Park. I just want Kristian back. And I won’t come back to England without my nephew with me.”

 

 

-beta-

5.6.16