The One Where it All Began

My Roommates are Idiots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present Day

“Anna!”

Anna paused in the middle of the sidewalk and turned around to see a classmate, one she hadn’t really talked to before, running towards her at full speed and looking like she had something to say. “You okay, Suyeon?”

“Yeah,” she panted, bent over to catch her breath. “It’s just…there’s…someone waiting…for you.” She swallowed a large gulp of air and straightened up again. “Jesus, I need to get some more exercise.”

Anna’s eyebrows furrowed and she met eyes with her best friend, Lydia, who was standing right next to her. “Me?” Am I supposed to be expecting company?

“Go see for yourself,” Suyeon urged. “He said it’s important.”

“‘He’?” Lydia repeated excitedly before nudging Anna in the ribs. “You didn’t tell me you had a dude in your life now!” She turned back to Suyeon and asked, “Is he cute?”

Suyeon nodded without hesitation. “Super cute.”

Suddenly, Anna had a faint inkling—just a faint one—about the identity of her mystery visitor. “Where did he say he’d be waiting?”

“At the base of Sather Tower. Hurry!”

Anna waved at Lydia over her shoulder as she hiked her bag further onto her shoulder. “Bye, Lyds. I’ll see you tonight at home!” Lydia waved back.

“Take your time!”

“Thanks, Suyeon!” Anna yelled as she began taking off towards Sather Tower. No way…there’s no way he’s here…

She sped past classmates who were about to stop her and ask questions about their lectures by shouting, “Sorry I can’t talk right now ask me later bye!” Her heart was pounding in her ears with excitement. She couldn’t handle the anticipation that was pumping through her veins with every step that hit the pavement. No way. It’s summer, and his group is probably busy with work by now. How could be possibly be here right now?

She turned the corner and paused to catch her breath. Prepare yourself, Anna. It might not be him, and you got worked up over this for nothing. She placed a hand on her chest to try and urge her racing heart to calm down and once she’d mentally prepared herself for disappointment…she stepped around the corner and showed herself.

His back was facing her, but just the lining of his silhouette was enough to confirm that her original suspicions had been right.

Her hand flew up to as she gasped. Oh, my God.

The sound of her sharp intake of breath carried with the wind, and the visitor looked over his shoulder. Once he caught sight of Anna’s shocked face, his own spread into a wide grin and he turned around to face her fully, revealing the bouquet of roses in his hands.

“Saerim.”

It only took one word—two syllables—to make Anna jump into action. She ran towards him in eight bounding leaps and crashed into his chest, throwing her arms around him with a beam to match his. “What are you doing here?! Aren’t you…? You said you were gonna be busy for a while!”

“It was all for the purpose of surprising you,” he grinned cockily. “You’re touched, huh?”

Anna rolled her eyes and wrapped her arms waist. “You’re not that big a deal. Next time, why don’t you bring me back something really worth freaking out over?”

He looked insulted. “What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

Anna grinned. “Nothing. Let’s go get dinner. I can treat.”

“Aren’t I the man?” He scowled. “Are you belittling my income? I make more than you by thousands of times!”

“I know, I know. Geez, your pride is so freaking delicate! This is why masculinity is so fragile.” She tsk-tsked.

“What? You wanna die, Heo Saerim?!”

One Year Prior

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?!” Anna exploded shrilly, and Lydia cringed at the volume of her voice bouncing off the walls of her apartment. “I thought we had a deal! That room was supposed to be mine beginning this weekend!”

“Look, I’m really sorry,” Lydia apologized for the millionth time that night, “but Matt really needs a place to stay while he’s here too, and frankly, he’s way more helpless when it comes to apartment hunting. Please understand, Anna Banana.” Anna’s eyebrows furrowed together in frustration; this was the last thing she needed to hear after her twelve-hour flight from San Francisco to Incheon…after a three-hour flight delay due to stormy conditions.

“Why is he coming to visit now, of all summers?!” she growled, not even bothering to hide how unhappy she was with the turn of events. Plus, she’d never liked Lydia’s boyfriend, Matthew (Woosuk) Kim; to her, he was nothing short of a troublemaker, a shameless flirt, and a conceited snob. Anna had long since lost count of the number of times she’d seen him hitting on other girls openly in front of Lydia. Anna knew her best friend could do better but had kept mum about it for the sake of Lydia’s feelings.

But this was too close to making her snap.

“He just called last night and told me he’s coming this weekend to spend the summer with me here, so he’ll need a place to stay for two months.” Anna narrowed her eyes suspiciously. There’s something off about this whole situation. Matthew Kim isn’t one to drop in with surprise visits just to make Lydia feel good. But because she didn’t have any evidence, nor did she even know what was wrong for sure, Anna remained quiet about it. “I mean, you could still stay with me…in my room.” Lydia laughed weakly at her expression of disgust. “I thought you wouldn’t like that.”

Hell no, I don’t. There’s no way I’m gonna stay under the same roof as that jerk-.

Running a frustrated hand through her hair, Anna let out a long sigh. “You know what? Fine. Just…let me crash here until I figure out other arrangements. I’ll leave when that…that person gets here.” She began dragging her bags around the living room so they weren’t blocking the way to the TV or the kitchen, grumbling under her breath. “Broken promises…stupid Matthew…worst timing in the world…doesn’t do anything right…”

“Why don’t you like Matt anyway?” Lydia suddenly asked, sounding rather annoyed. “What’s he ever done to you?” Anna looked up briefly with a condescending snort before returning to her efforts to drag her bags around.

“Nothing. He’s done nothing to me. It’s what he does to you that I don’t like.”

Lydia frowned. “What do you mean? What does he do to me?”

Anna scoffed to herself while digging through one of her bags for her toothbrush. If you weren’t Lydia Jung, I wouldn’t believe how oblivious you are. “Forget about it. I’m exhausted and I want some sleep. Your boyfriend won’t mind if I sleep in ‘his’ bed for the time being, would he?” Lydia frowned, obviously still unhappy with the way she was talking about her boyfriend, and tersely shook her head without another word of complaint.

“He won’t have to know.” And without another word, she her heel and walked into her room, closing the door behind he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter