The One with the Girl

My Roommates are Idiots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Another boarder?” Mrs. Kim momentarily paused scrubbing down the window in surprise and stared at Bobby. “What do you mean?”

“I know somebody…a friend,” Bobby fibbed, “who’s looking for places to live. Unfortunately, I don’t think apartment hunting’s been working out so well since summer’s already begun and all, and my friend’s out of options. Isn’t there something we could do to help out?”

“I really wish we could, but we have no more rooms to rent out,” Mrs. Kim frowned pityingly. “You boys are already full to bursting in your rooms, so we can’t cram another person in with any of you.”

“Cost of rent shouldn’t be an issue,” Bobby persuaded. “Is there…anything at all?”

“Well…” Mrs. Kim’s eyes wandered to the pull-down ladder in the ceiling that led up to the loft, “we do have an attic, but it could hardly be called livable; we’ve been using it as storage space since we first moved in. I’m sure it’s infested with bugs and dust mites.”

“I could help put it back into shape,” Bobby offered, “and I’m sure a couple of other guys would love to help.” And even if they don’t, they don’t have much room to complain if I tell them to do it. “Please, Mrs. Kim?” He didn’t even know why he felt so compelled to help that strange girl out, but the idea of just abandoning her when she was supposedly begging on her knees didn’t sit right with his conscience.

“I’ll discuss it with my husband when he comes home tonight,” Mrs. Kim conceded, “but nothing’s set in stone, so don’t give your friend any false hope. And keep in mind that living expenses won’t change just because it’s the attic.”

At this point, I’m sure she’ll take what she can get, if she really is as desperate as she said she was. Bobby smiled gratefully. “Thanks, Mrs. Kim. Need any help here?”

Anna stayed in her room the entire day; she didn’t feel compelled to tour the area without Lydia by her side. Only when she was sure that Matt and Lydia had disappeared into her room for the night did she finally emerge. With a stomach grumbling from lack of food for the past few hours, she snuck into the kitchen to quickly make herself something to eat. With the water halfway to boiling, Anna leaned against the counter, considering her very limited options: either stay in the apartment and stomach Matt’s presence, or move out onto the streets.

The streets aren’t that bad, are they?

The sound of Lydia’s doorknob twisting made Anna freeze…until she saw who actually emerged from the room. She made a disgusted face at Matt when he walked into the living room. Oh, God. Just what I needed.

He, however, didn’t reciprocate the disgust. “What’s with the face, Anna banana?”

“Don’t call me that,” she retorted stiffly, turning her back on him and pretending that the water boiling was more interesting than his company. And it was.

“Oh, come on,” he protested, approaching to reach behind her for the fridge and grab a bottle of cold water. “Why’re you always so cold to me? We used to be tight!”

Yeah, that was years ago. Anna didn’t answer.

“You still mad about what happened that time?” Matt sounded disbelieving, which only made Anna even madder.

She turned to him with lasers shooting out of her eyes. “Of course I’m mad about what happened that one time! Who do you think you are, acting like it’s no big deal?!”

“Hey…”

“And what kind of scumbag goes after the best friend of his girlfriend anyway?!” Anna hissed, glaring at Matt with disgust. “I’m serious this time: you lay a finger on me, and I won’t just watch you disrespect Lydia like this anymore!”

“Oh, and you think she’ll believe you over me?” He snorted condescendingly. “Look, Lydia’s cool with my being friends with other girls. What’s your deal? Are you…jealous?”

Anna scoffed, crossing her arms. “The mere mention of your name absolutely abhors me. Lydia deserves so much better than you.”

But despite the venom in her tone, Matt just chuckled and capped his water bottle. “See? This is why I like you better; you have a backbone. Lydia doesn’t know how to stand up for herself like you do.”

Is he even hearing me? Anna gave him a poisonous look. “Go back to bed, Matt. I really don’t need your bull on top of everything I’ve had to deal with these past few days.”

“You’re still looking for another apartment to move into, huh?” Matt clucked his tongue. “Just stay here. I won’t even bother you.”

Everything about you bothers you. “No, thanks.”

“C’mon, you really think you’re gonna find some other place to stay in Seoul these days? Everywhere’s probably been taken by now, and you’re running the risk of encountering conmen. You don’t wanna be scammed out of thousands of dollars, do you?”

“I don’t know. I’m sure Lydia won’t like being scammed in a relationship either, but you don’t seem to have a problem with prolonging that scheme.”

Matt shook his head. “Just consider it. Why do you think I came to Seoul this summer anyway? Two and a half months living with you was too good to pass up.”

Anna gagged and felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand. “Okay, forget about it. Thanks for making me lose my appetite.” She turned the stove off and tossed the boiling pot of water into the sink, stashing the package of ramen away in the pantry again. “Go back to bed.” I really hope I don’t see you again tomorrow. Slamming the door behind her and locking it, Anna dove under the covers and prayed for more luck with the apartment hunting tomorrow.

Jinhwan got home from the beginner’s dance class he taught every Wednesday and Friday evening, in desperate need of a cold glass of water. He wandered into the kitchen and found his parents preparing dinner for the boarders. “Hi, Mom.”

“Hi,” she replied, kissing his cheek. “How was class today?”

“Same old, same old.” He selected a fresh apple from the basket of fruit that his mom prepared every morning for the boarders and bit into it. “How was your day?”

“Interesting,” Mrs. Kim replied musingly. “Your father and I were discussing the possibility of renting the attic out for another boarder.”

“The attic?” Jinhwan repeated incredulously. “I don’t even remember the last time anyone’s been up there.”

“Me neither,” Mr. Kim hummed, flipping a page in his newspaper.

“Well, the American boy asked after the possibility of renting it out to one of his friends,” Mrs. Kim explained. “Apparently, the poor boy’s been looking for a place to stay, but you know how hard it is to find living space in Seoul these days.”

“But why here?” Jinhwan asked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter