Loose Lips Sink Ships or Do They?

War of Wills

“Word around the castle is that you handed out quite the dusting this afternoon,” Misa casually remarked as she helped Artemis get into her dinner attire.

Artemis snorted at the sentiment.

“You can’t call it a dusting if your opponent refused to engage,” she answered, adjusting her tiara.

Misa smiled and continued attending to the minor details on Artemis’s gown. If there was anything that irritated Artemis, it was when an opponent refused to engage during a duel.

“I know you’re disappointed Artemis, but did you think for a moment that maybe he didn’t want to fight you,” Misa countered after clasping a small silver chain around Artemis’s waist.

“I’m the opponent, and I pose a threat. Why wouldn’t he want to duel me,” Artemis asked at turning to look at her mother.

Misa cupped her face and looked at her with such fondness and adoration.

“Sweetheart, you are fierce, bold, and definitely a threat. But you are also elegance, poise, and gorgeous beyond measure. I realize that your fighting ability and your capacity to lead a country is something that we pride ourselves in. However, you are also seen as delicate, ethereal, and graceful in everything that you do, including battle.”

Artemis closed her eyes and sighed.

“The last thing I need is for all my years of training to be glossed over because a guy thinks I’m cute. I want to be respected for my abilities. That can’t happen if I am content to be praised for my beauty.”

Misa pulled Artemis into a hug, careful not to wrinkle the fabric of her gown.

“But you don’t have to choose between the two, sweetie. You can be fiercely, beautiful and gracefully, bold. I see all of your wonderful sides because you are my daughter. For the royal family of Chrysi, they only have your physical appearance and what I tell them. You have to show them everything else, Artemis.”


“I still can’t believe we missed the two of you duel,” Nickhun remarked as he looked from Jackson to Artemis, “It must have been an amazing sight.”

“I wouldn’t go as far as to say amazing, but it was definitely a sight,” Bam bam respectfully disagreed.

“Well why wouldn’t it have been amazing,” Jia inquired, “Surely you all got to witness Artemis’s dueling abilities.”

“I stand corrected. Artemis’s fighting style was truly something to behold,” Bam bam amended, “Wouldn’t you agree Jackson?”

The entire table looked towards Jackson, who had been silent for most of the meal. Jackson was too busy thinking about how to get back in Artemis’s good graces to hear the question. It wasn’t until Mark gently nudged him, that he realized that everyone was waiting on his response. Jackson looked around, obviously perplexed. His eyes landed on Mark, who was kind enough to mouth the words “dueling” and “Artemis” discreetly.

“Artemis is definitely aggressive when facing an opponent and definitely a formidable adversary,” Jackson agreed, looking at Artemis.

“Thank you, Jackson,” Artemis courteously replied.

“Too bad the same could not be said for you, Sire,” Jaebum added.

“Is there something you wish to say General Im,” Jackson asked looking over Mark and at Jaebum.

“Now the real fun begins,” Jinyoung whispered across the table to Artemis.

Artemis tilted her head to the side at Jinyoung’s comment.

“Just watch,” Yugyeom offered.

So Artemis watched, and she can definitely say that was one of the wisest decisions she made in her lifetime. Because what followed was one of the funniest and loving critiques of form she had ever heard.

“It sounds like General Im was not satisfied with your performance brother,” Bam bam instigated, clearly enjoying this turn of events.

“It was definitely not his best. But I have reason to believe that this sparring match was unlike anything Prince Jackson ever experienced,” Jinyoung intervened.

“Thank you General Park. Artemis is truly unlike any opponent I have ever dueled. But now that I have had the opportunity to experience her… fighting. I am sure the following matches will be much more entertaining. That is, if she is willing to duel me again,” Jackson stated looking at Artemis.

Artemis’s eyes levelled with Jackson’s as she took a sip of her wine. She gingerly sat the glass down before giving him a wicked smile.

“Are you sure you wish to duel again, Jackson?”

Jackson looked taken aback by Artemis’s sudden show of confidence, but inwardly he found it utterly charming.

“Of course, I am. I won’t be so easily defeated next time,” Jackson promised with a smile of his own.

“Neither will I,” Artemis grinned, leaning back in her seat.

“I look forward to it,” Misa approved.

“As do I,” Jaebum added.

“This was definitely one of the liveliest dinners we have had in a while,” Nickhun commented, beaming at everyone gathered around the table.

“I agree,” Bam bam mused.

Everyone continued to chat amongst themselves as the table was cleared. Artemis asking Yugyeom how he managed to climb in the ranks so quickly, Jackson looking on with increasing interest, and the generals taking bets on the next duel between Artemis and Jackson.

“Dessert and coffee will be served in the parlor,” the butler announced, once the chatter had died down.

“If it is okay with you, your Grace I would like to continue looking at the grounds,” Artemis requested, bowing to her mother.

Misa almost told her no, but she decided against it. Now would be the perfect time for her to show Jackson the sides he hasn’t had a chance to see.

“If it is pleasing to King Nickhun and Queen Jia, then it is okay with me.”

“We do not mind at all. Jackson can show you the garden, and if you prefer to stay inside the library is available to you also,” Jia proposed to Artemis.

“A walk in the garden actually sounds very nice,” Artemis admitted.

“Too bad you’ll have to be with Jackson,” Bam bam chuckled.

“I’m sitting right here,” Jackson stated waving a hand in front of Bam bam’s face.

For the first time that day Artemis laughed, genuinely laughed, and Jackson was sure that there was not a single sound on this earth as beautiful as the one in his ears at that moment. Queen Misa also chuckled at the interaction.

“They remind me of you and Yoani,” she whispered to Artemis.

Artemis’s smile faltered for a moment, her mind drifting to her sister and to her home, to Almandi. ‘Is Yoani handling everything okay? Is Dad still ? What am I missing in Almandi?”


 “It seems like you have gotten a little rusty my liege.”

King Artez chuckled at the sentiment. He found Jiwon a charming opponent but he never let his guard down. For as charming as he was, Jiwon was just as dangerous.

“Oh no my son, I am like a fine wine,” he countered with an effortless block, “I only get better with time.”

Jiwon smiled at the King’s confidence. He’d always had a healthy amount of respect for his king, but the admiration he felt when he referred to him as “my son” made his heart full. The two continued to duel only to be cut short by the sound of the bell tolling. The two immediately sheathed their weapons and bowed to each other.

“I’m sorry to bring this to an end, Jiwon, but the life of a king is a rather busy one.”

“I understand your Highness,” Jiwon replied with a small smile, “In any case, I have to see to military training today.”

“As I have to go tend to the details of Artemis’s possible betrothal.”

Jiwon’s stomach lurched at the King’s words.

“Artemis is getting married?”

“Hopefully,” King Artez sighed, massaging the bridge of his nose.

Jiwon’s smile faltered as his fears were confirmed.

“Is there a problem with the suitor,” Jiwon asked, selfishly wishing that there was.

The King shook his head.

“From what I’ve learned, he comes from an excellent family. They are a kingdom similar to ours but…”

“But what your Highness,” he inquired carefully.

“But you know how Artemis is,” King Artez continued, “She clings to what’s familiar. I just want the man she marries to be a man of substance. He doesn’t have to be of royal blood. I trust Artemis to lead this country. She is beyond qualified to do so. However, the court insists that we take the traditional route first.”

Jiwon listened attentively as the King voiced his concerns, but the words that stuck out to him the most were “He doesn’t have to be of royal blood.” They let him know that there was still an opportunity. He cleared his throat, signaling that he had something to say.

King Artez smiled.

“You can speak comfortably with me Jiwon.”

“Your grace, if things do not work out with Artemis’ betrothal, I would be honored to take her hand in marriage. With your blessing of course,” he finished respectfully.


Yoani pouted as she inspected her crossbow.

“What’s with the frown Nini?”

Yoani looked up and grinned.

“Shouldn’t you be sparring with General Kim?”

Donghyuk just smiled and took a seat next to Yoani.

“I figured it wouldn’t hurt to miss a day.”

Yoani pursed her lips as she digested the situation.

“You know he’s going to kill you right?”

“I do, but I don’t think we are in agreement as to why he’s going to kill me,” Donghyuk causually responded.

Yoani raised her eyebrow in curiosity.

“Will Hanbin kill me because I am not practicing or because I am spending time with you?”

Yoani blushed at the implication.

“Of course he is going to be upset about you skipping training. Making sure Almandi is protected, and safe, is his first priority.”

“I would dare to disagree and say a certain princess of Almandi is his first priority,” Donghyuk teased.

Yoani playfully pushed his shoulder.

“You know I am not allowed to court until Artemis is married.”

“I am aware, but once she is there is nothing stopping you,” he pointed out.

“I’m sorry but have you met my father? You know? King Artez? The man who guards his daughters with his life,” Yoani asked as if Donghyuk had lost his sanity.

“Oh please,” Donghyuk scoffed, “King Artez loves Hanbin. He practically considers him and Jiwon sons already.”

“Why do I feel like you are playing matchmaker,” Yoani sighed.

Donghyuk beamed at her, that bright, million dollar, I-have-no-idea-what-you-are-talking-about smile.

“Who me? I am your best friend, Nini. I would never try to set you up—

Yoani patiently waited for the needle amongst the balloons.

—Plus you have already done it yourself.”

There it is.

Yoani gave him a pointed look.

“You know I think you forget I am a royal sometimes.”

Donghyuk laughed as he shook his head.

“Of course not. I never forget that you are a princess of Almandi. But how often do I get to talk to you, better yet tease you, about acting like a regular citizen?”

Yoani’s face softened at the sentiment. She had a lot of duties as a princess, and with Artemis being married soon, they seemed to double in capacity.

“I don’t have time for love right now,” she quietly reminded herself and Donghyuk.

“Well there’s a couple of things wrong with that Nini. One, love doesn’t take appointments. Two, Hanbin has infinite patience.”

Yoani snorted.

“Well at least he does with you,” he amended.

“As much as I love having these ‘talks’ with you, Dk. Can I get my sister happily married first?”

“Oh she doesn’t need us,” Donghyuk chuckled, “That’s why she has Yunhyeong.”


“I’m so sorry. Jiwon can you repeat that?”

Hanbin had the biggest question mark on his face while Yunhyeong was fighting a losing battle against the smile on his face.

“I asked the king for Artemis’ hand in marriage,” Jiwon winced.

Hanbin blinked.

“Do you mind telling me why?”

Jiwon dragged a hand across his face.

“The king brought up how he had to see to Artemis’s engagement details, and I don’t know… I panicked. Before I could even think it through completely the words were already out of my mouth. Did you guys know she is meeting with a possible suitor right now?”

“Yes,” the other two answered in unison.

Jiwon’s eyes narrowed.

“Excuse me?”

“Yoani told all of us a few weeks ago,” Yunhyeong kindly provided for him.

“That’s why you barely saw Artemis last week,” Hanbin added.

“What?! Why didn’t you guys say anything?!!”

“We thought you didn’t care. You always avoided Artemis,” Yunhyeong explained.

“Yeah every time she approached us you would disappear. You’d look like you had seen a ghost.”

“She thought it was adorable for some reason,” Yunhyeong muttered.

Jiwon ran a hand through his hair.

“This is just one huge mess. I don’t even know if she likes me back. Hell, would she even like me back after I’ve avoided her like she had the plague? Maybe I should just go take back my proposal.”

Hanbin watched his comrade and best friend struggle with himself. It was something he was familiar with, but he couldn’t offer advice because he had yet to figure out the solution to his own problems.

“I don’t think you should give up just yet,” Yunhyeong commented.

Jiwon and Hanbin turned to look at him in surprise. Yunhyeong was being… optimistic?

“Just because Artemis is meeting a suitor does not mean she will agree to marry them.  It’s also only the first meeting. I mean you’ve waited this long, what’s a few more days?”

Jiwon slowly nodded his head. Just because he got a late start doesn’t mean he can’t finish in 1st.

 

 

A/N: LOLOLOLOLOLOL! So umm there is really no excuse as to why this wasn't up sooner. I would apologize, but I'm pretty sure you guys are sick of me saying sorry. I kind of loss inspiration for this fic, but going to the got7 concert refueled my creative juices. Thank you all for staying (I don't blame you if you threw this story away). Feel free to comment, upvote, and subscribe. 

- Jupiter >.<