Face to Face

War of Wills

Artemis was cajoled awake that afternoon by her mother’s gentle touch and the sound of their carriage slowing to a stop. She let out a small yawn as her eyes adjusted to the bright midday sun and took in her new surroundings. They had arrived outside the gates of Chrysi’s royal palace, but Artemis was not expecting to be met with such lavishly ornate decor surrounding the exterior of the palace. The gates were golden with red detail around the shield that was centered between both gates. Above the left gate read “Welcome to the” in a cursive script while the right gate read “Palace of Chrysi” in an equally elegant script. Artemis looked at the gate, and she had to admit it was stunning. But it was too busy for her, too showy for what the generals informed her about this country. It definitely doesn’t look like the gate of a warrior kingdom.

“Not all warrior nations believe in modesty, Artemis,” Misa commented as they passed through the gates.

“Clearly,” she muttered as she watched the palace come into view.

Artemis rolled her eyes as she took in the estate. If she was surprised by the detail on the gates, she was blown away by the actual palace itself. It was red in color though the afternoon sun caused it to have a golden glow. It was accented with gold and had what Artemis guessed was the royal crest on the front doors. All in all it was an inverted version of the gates. Artemis fought to keep the pained sigh from leaving her lips. Under normal circumstances Artemis would not consider herself a minimalist, but this manor was simply too much for her.

“It seems like they believe in showcasing their wealth, though it’s done rather distastefully.”

Misa chuckled at her daughter’s offhanded comment. Her and the prince will definitely have something to talk about in the event of an awkward silence, even if it was how not to decorate your home. Artemis continued scrutinizing the premises as her carriage door was opened and even after she had made her way to the palace doors. The color choices aren’t terrible. I just think they need to be used as more of an accent than a base. She was so engrossed in her critique that she failed to notice that they had been ushered in and were waiting to be announced to the royal family. Misa’s smile broadened as she watched her daughter observe their surroundings. It was obvious that she was trying to think of ways to save the place, but Misa was more interested in how Artemis was going to react to meeting the Prince, the man that wanted her hand.

Down the hall, Bam Bam along with Jia and Nickhun were patiently waiting for Jackson to leave the parlor. It had all happened so suddenly. Jackson was discussing some of the traditions of Almandi with Nickhun when Mark had knocked on the parlor doors.

“Pardon me my Lords. But it seems that Princess Artemis and Queen Misa have arrived.”

Jackson’s face paled and he immediately requested the presence of Jinyoung and Jaebum. That was all he said before asking his father to wait outside the doors with the rest of the family. It’s been twenty minutes since they’ve began their “meeting,” and Jia was starting to lose her patience along with Bam Bam and Nickhun.

“What’s so pressing that it keeps our important guests waiting,” she hissed to Nickhun.

It took everything for Bam Bam not to guffaw because if he knew his brother as well as he thought he did, Jackson’s emergency meeting was nothing more than a last minute pep talk session.

“This is urgent,” Jackson stated as he got up from his seat and walked towards his friends.

All three of them stood at attention, ready to act on any order Jackson uttered.

“How do I look?”

Jackson held his chlamys open as he turned around, giving his generals a full body view of his attire. Mark rolled his eyes, partly in irritation, but mostly in incredulity. The soon-to-be king of Chrysi never ceased to amaze him when it came to impressions and appearance. Jinyoung, on the other hand, was seriously checking his attire for flaws, making sure that his cloak fell in perfect tresses as it cascaded down his shoulders. Jaebum looked on with slight disgust but gave his two cents regardless. After Jinyoung’s readjustments Jackson posed his question again.

“Perfect,” Jinyoung replied with a proud smile.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if she married you on the spot,” Jaebum added though his face remained stoic.

Jackson turned to Mark, patiently waiting for his response.

“You definitely look better than you did when I announced Princess Artemis’s arrival,” Mark admitted as he gave Jackson a once over, “I think you’re ready.”

That was the most he had said in the past 72 hours, but Mark always knew how to use his words wisely and when it mattered most. Jackson grinned at the three generals before hugging each one of them. He was as physically affectionate as he was loud, a fact that everyone learned through the breadth of their friendships with Jackson. 

“Thanks for putting up with me. You guys are the best.”

“Yeah yeah yeah, save the sap speech for your coronation,” Jaebum replied, trying to wipe the non-existent grease from his hands.

“Or the wedding,” Mark muttered to Jinyoung while making kissy faces.

Jinyoung shook his head at the two of them. Jackson simply thumped JB’s head and ruffled Mark’s hair before walking towards the giant rosewood doors.  On his way, he caught a glimpse of his reflection, and for a fleeting moment he saw the makings of an astounding king. He saw someone truly capable of running an empire. Jackson looked back at his generals, his friends, and he believed they saw it too. Though they joked and laughed with him, they never doubted his capabilities as a leader.

“I’m ready for Artemis. The question is do you think she’s ready for me,” he asked before opening the doors and joining his family.

Back in the great hall Artemis wandered around looking at the portraits that decorated the marble walls. Misa let her, figuring that she would have to get used to the “distasteful” manor sooner or later. She looked down the wall of handsome men deducing that they must have been past rulers. Each one wore the same medal on their cloak while they held their helmet. They all looked battle-ready; an aspect that Artemis found comforting in the foreign place. She continued down the wall until she reached what appeared to be a family portrait of the current king and royal family. Artemis crossed her arms as she analyzed the picture. She glossed over the King and Queen looking long enough to see that they made a beautiful couple, but they weren’t really who she was curious about in this royal family. Her eyes trained on a young man holding a shield. This must be Jackson. Judging from the bulge in his arm, Artemis assumed he was in great shape which was definitely a plus in her book. His hair was shaved on the sides, but that was the extent of order for it fell in a disheveled mess, covering most of the shaven area. His lips were pink and looked unexpectedly soft, inviting even; the bridge of his nose was slender and curved gracefully down the middle of his face, unlike his hair. He was... undeniably handsome. But that wasn’t what made Artemis question her confidence. It was his gaze, a gaze so intense that it made her look away from the canvas for a few moments and wonder if his stare was just as powerful in person.

“This portrait has to be around five years old,” she mumbled as her eyes automatically went back to the painting.

Jinyoung had informed her during the proposal that she and Prince Jackson were a year apart in age, with him being older. Artemis didn’t really care for ages but it was definitely helpful with telling the age of this family portrait. She was about to venture further away from her party when she heard the sound of the keras signaling the arrival of the royal family. Artemis gracefully, but hastily returned to her mother’s side. She grabbed her mother’s hand and looked at her for reassurance. Queen Misa smiled back at her as if she knew a secret that Artemis didn’t and squeezed her hand, effectively chasing away any nervous energy Artemis harbored.

Jackson slapped himself as the chorus of keras came to an end. He needed to focus. Artemis was his only option and he needed to be on his toes. He wasn’t lying when he told Bam Bam love is war, and he needed to be ready for the first battle. He slowly descended the stairs with his parents and brother, making the entrance of a royal. He walked to the right of his father while Bam Bam walked to the left of their mother. Jackson has made this entrance many times, for parties, the annexing of countries, etc. So he found it strange that his eyes did not stay trained towards the front, but rather they scanned the room until they found an unfamiliar figure dressed in a pale purple gown. Jackson couldn’t really see her facial features well from the stairs, but her skin gave off an ethereal glow that made him ache to touch it.

From her position, Artemis could clearly make out Jackson’s figure, and she realized that the image she saw a few moments ago was only a small glimpse of this Prince. His chest was twice as broad, and his arms were definitely more toned than what she saw in the portrait. From what she could see his eyebrows remained the same, and his hair was cut the same way. But instead of a wild mane, it cascaded to one side. He was more refined and sophisticated. Artemis continued to admire him from afar, but she felt her heart race when his eyes focused on her. She could feel the pull though they were hundreds of feet apart, but Artemis wanted nothing more than to hide behind her mother. Misa simpered. She knew Artemis well enough to know when she found someone attractive, and judging from the way she wiped her hands on her gown she must think he’s good-looking.

Sooner than she expected, Artemis found herself face to face with the Royals of Chrysi. She kept her head lowered; an act that showed that she would not lock eyes with them until she was introduced or they called her directly. Nickhun, Jia, and Misa exchanged greetings comfortably while their children remained unmoving. Jackson was focused on Artemis while Bam Bam was staring off into the distance. Misa looked over to introduce Artemis, but she only saw the top of her bun. Misa cleared , but Artemis was too busy inspecting her sandals to notice her mother’s efforts. Jackson found the action adorable. She’s shy. He smiled in her direction, but it went unnoticed. Jia and Nickhun took in the scene before them and decided that it would probably be better if they introduced Bam Bam before Jackson.

“Well I can’t tell you how happy we are to have you and Artemis with us today, Misa,” Jia beamed, effectively gaining the attention of Artemis.

“Thank you for having us,” Misa replied while Artemis bowed her head.

“I know you all travelled quite a bit to get here. We have tea set up in the dining room if you would like to join us,” Nickhun offered with a charming smile.

Artemis analyzed his features. He didn’t look a day over thirty, and he was devastatingly handsome. So that’s where Jackson gets it from.

“We would love to,” Misa agreed.

Artemis was no fool. She knew what was going to happen if she went to tea with them. They were going to ask her a bunch of stale questions about her country, and there would be a painfully awkward silence in between each question and answer. She could really do without it.

Artemis opened to speak, but she was immediately silenced by Jia.

“Artemis this is my youngest son Kunpimook. He’s only a few years younger than you so you can speak comfortably.”

Artemis nodded her head before training her gaze on a younger man with a baby face. He’s a cutie, definitely a lot less harmless than his brother.

“Please disregard any formalities, Artemis. Call me Bam Bam. Mother is the only one that calls me by my birth name,” he smiled politely before shaking her hand.

“Likewise Bam Bam,” Artemis answered mirroring his courteous grin.

“And this is our oldest son Jackson. He’s going to be a great leader for this country someday,” Nickhun bellowed while patting Jackson on the back.

Jackson cleared his throat.

“Father that’s enough, pleasure meeting you Princess Artemis; I’ve heard a lot about you,” he charmed before extending his hand in greeting

“As I have about you Prince Jackson,” Artemis responded with a rather demure facade.

Jackson’s ears perked up at the sound of his name spilling from her lips, the way her voice caressed each letter in his name with poise and allure. She sounded reserved, but his eyes told him otherwise. He noticed how the corners of her lips turned up when she addressed him directly, almost like she was trying not to smile, but he couldn’t help smiling at her, albeit dumbly, while she finished her greeting.

 “But I believe the pleasure is all mine.”

Artemis laid her hand in Jackson’s expecting it to be a normal handshake, but he had proven her wrong yet again. Jackson gently grasped her hand and brought it to his lips, planting a feather-light kiss on the back of her hand. Artemis held her breath as she watched him plant the most delicate kiss above her knuckles. She hated him 12 hours ago yet here she was suffocating from a kiss to the hand. Artemis was quickly losing this battle, but on the plus side, she was right about his lips. They were indeed soft.

“Well now that everyone has been properly acquainted. How about some tea,” Jia offered efficiently reigning in the conversation.

“Pardon me lady Jia, but I’m a bit restless from being cooped up all night. Is there anywhere I can burn some energy? I wouldn’t want to ruin tea time by moving around too much,” Artemis admitted with a sheepish grin.

“Sure Artemis. Jackson can show you around the grounds.”

“I can take you to the training grounds,” Jackson offered with a bright smile.

“That sounds great,” Artemis beamed at him.

With that they left the adults and Bam Bam behind, practically running to the training grounds. Misa smiled as she watched them go.

“Artemis loves sparring. Our military leader, Cheetah, used to spar with her every evening. She said Artemis is superior enough to lead an army of her own if she needed to,” she bragged as they walked down the hall.

“Artemis spars with your military leader,” Nickhun repeated incredulously.

“Yes. She wasn’t supposed to start combat training until 17. But Artemis is stubborn. She insisted she start at 14. So we let her. She’s been inseparable from her twin swords and the grounds ever since. How long has Jackson been training?”

“Since he was 15,” Jia disclosed with a pleased smile.

Bam Bam listened to the conversation with increasing interest. He was aware that Artemis was skilled in combat, but he never knew the weapon or how long. And Judging from the way Misa talked about Artemis’s proficiency, Jackson was about to be a gazelle challenging a lioness. Make no mistake, Jackson is not terrible by any means. However, he can be overconfident and underestimate an opponent. Overconfident and stupid, Bam Bam thought as they entered the tea room.  He briefly considered warning his brother but decided against it. He wanted to see how his brother reacted to the fact that his future wife was beautiful and deadly, and he figured he deserved a little entertainment from the grief he went through this morning. So he enjoyed his cup of tea and a few vittles, even made conversation with Misa, before taking his leave and heading to the training grounds. If he was lucky he would catch the sparring match in time to see Jackson get dusted by his future sister-in-law, and if the other generals were present to witness it, he would just count it as an early birthday present.