Obligations

War of Wills

Queen Misa bit back a defeated sigh as she glanced over at the younger woman occupying the carriage with her. The young lady remained quiet, but her body language screamed dissatisfaction. was set in a tight line while her hands rested resolutely in her lap, and her eyes, though they were facing the passing countryside, held barely-veiled contempt. She was dressed in an amethyst gown with gold trim that flowed to her ankles. It was secured at the waist with a small gold chain, similar to the ones that decorated her wrist and neck. Her normally free-flowing yarn braids were piled upon her head in a regal bun, secured by a small gold crown that was spiked around the perimeter, a clear indication that she was of royal blood. In any other situation, Misa would have told her just how stunning she looked. Unfortunately, this was not the time for such pleasantries.

"Artemis darling can you please try to cheer up. I do—”

The young lady gave her a pointed look before returning her gaze to the countryside.

 “Just a bit," Queen Misa begged the back of her head.

Artemis remained quiet as she watched the only place she’s ever known disappear behind the carriage. She felt a frown form on her face as she passed the royal training grounds. Most of her teenage years were spent on that field perfecting combat techniques and inventing new ones with her partners. Goodbye early evening sparring with Cheetah. Artemis’s frown deepened as the training grounds gave way to black sand beaches. One of the few places she could be alone with her thoughts without worrying about the intrusive voices of others. Goodbye comforting echoes of the ocean. She continued to mentally say her goodbyes while simultaneously burning every image into her brain. Every flower and grain of sand will be etched into her memory until she returned, if she returned. Goodbye... Almandi Artemis knew that she would have to leave eventually. She was a princess after all, but she didn’t think it would be so soon. Goodbye home.

Misa watched her daughter’s resentment visibly fester as they got further and further away from the palace. Artemis had never been too fond of marrying for status, and she wasn’t exactly crazy over the thought of entertaining potential suitors when she had already made up her mind about arranged meetings. But in this particular case, Artemis’s preferences took a back seat to her duties as the eldest daughter of the King. She would be turning 21 in a few months after all. It was high time she married.

"I've heard that Chrysi is a beautiful kingdom. It has spacious fields and is surrounded by some of the prettiest seashores in the world."

"I don't care about their seashores. We have our own beautiful beaches. In fact, we have everything a person could want within our kingdom,” Artemis paused before quietly continuing, “I  had everything I could have wanted at home."

 "What kind of king sends his men to find a wife anyway," she added bitterly, not even bothering to look at her mom, her queen.

“Well, Artemis different kingdoms have different traditions. King Artez did not follow my country’s tradition for marriage,” Queen Misa countered hoping this fact would appease Artemis.

“I am well aware of that fact, but at least King Artez was well versed in your country’s traditions enough to be deemed worthy of having your hand. This prince does not even know my name much less the traditions of Almandi. Plus you fancied rebels. Father told me that,” Artemis answered with a small grin. It was the first time she had smiled all day.

Queen Misa could not suppress her own smile as she listened to her daughter. She was not surprised that Artemis knew the details of her betrothal to King Artez. She had always held a distinct fondness for her father, and he doted on her just as much if not more. Artemis has always been the biggest admirer of her father, the King. Even as a child she was always by his side, listening to his war stories and attending court councils with her chair right next to his.  Artemis even began learning war strategies and practicing with the royal army to spend more time with him. Even though she wasn’t due for combat training for another 3 years, Artemis insisted that she start early. She wanted to be a more than capable queen for the kingdom of Almandi, and above all, she wanted to become a worthy successor of her father.

Her Highness looked over her daughter as they continued their journey to the distant country of Chrysinth. Artemis had inherited all of her mother’s physical qualities: skin like mahogany, eyes a shade darker, and hair that looked black until you reached the sun-bleached tips that were hidden in her bun. Her appearance radiated grace and sophistication. But her personality was exactly like her father’s. She was tenacious, insightful, sarcastic, and more intelligent than she would like to let on. Misa smiled to herself. Artemis was a hurricane restricted within the elegance and modesty her exterior lent her. Needless to say, she would be a blessing to whoever had the fortune of winning her heart.

 

“Your skills have gotten a lot better Sire,” Jinyoung remarked as he blocked one of Jackson’s advances.

“You think so,” Jackson questioned as he tried to make Jinyoung lose his balance.

“I know so,” Jinyoung smiled as he danced around Jackson’s attempts to knock him off kilter.

“Good enough to lead an army,” Jackson inquired as he lunged towards Jinyoung.

As if to answer his question, Jinyoung sidestepped Jackson and disarmed him within the blink of an eye. Jackson’s eyebrows furrowed at the sight of Jinyoung holding both weapons in his hand, clearly dissatisfied with this turn of events.  

“I wouldn’t say that just yet,” Jinyoung answered as he sheathed his sword and returned Jackson’s weapon.

“How am I supposed to become king if I can’t even beat one of my generals in a friendly sparring match?”

“In all fairness, we have known nothing but combat since we could stand on our own two feet,” Jinyoung answered with a shrug, “We didn’t even get permission to court until we were decorated by the King for our achievements.”

“You expect me to believe you, Mark, and Jaebum remained chaste up until three years ago,” Jackson snorted looking over his friend.

“Of course not, look at us. We’re handsome, great fighters and gentleman... most days,” Jinyoung added with a chuckle.

“I assume that you only entertain women of the same status,” Jackson commented as they returned their training swords.

“You would be right to assume such a thing,” Jinyoung replied as he inspected his sword, “We pursue nothing but the best.”

“I trust that your search went well then,” Jackson stated staring at the younger male.

Jinyoung almost dropped his sword.

“How did you find out about the search? The king swore us to secrecy,” Jinyoung panicked while surveying the area.

“Three of my best friends were missing for several weeks, and my Father started talking about my coronation more than usual. It doesn’t take an alchemist to figure out that they’re expecting me to wed soon,” Jackson laughed.

“You’re right about that.”

“So did it go well,” Jackson persisted after their equipment was returned.

“We had to travel quite far, but we finally found a princess suitable for you Sire.”

A princess? You only found one?”

“There would have been more, but they didn’t really seem to like the idea of coming second to battle,” Jinyoung disclosed glancing at his counterpart.

Jackson’s eyebrows knitted together in concentration as he digested Jinyoung’s words.

“So what’s her name?”

“Her name is Artemis of Almandi.”

Jackson opened his mouth to respond, but Jinyoung cut him off.

 “She will arrive tomorrow with her mother, Queen Misa of Almandi.”

Jackson opened his mouth again.

“Yes she is beautiful Sire. You will see for yourself tomorrow,” Jinyoung answered before Jackson could get a syllable out.

“I-I didn’t even say anything,” Jackson sputtered.

“You didn’t have to. I am one of your best friends,” Jinyoung replied with a wide smile.

Jackson couldn’t help smiling back at his sparring partner.

“So are you going to meet with Mark and Jaebum now?”

Jinyoung shook his head and walked towards the door.

“I am going to my chambers for the evening. We will have very important guests tomorrow. It would be wise of you to do the same, Sire.”

With that Jinyoung said his final goodbyes and departed from the training grounds. Jackson grimaced at Jinyoung’s sensible advice. He never liked all the pretenses that came with these meetings. But he soon followed suit and retired to his chambers. Hopefully she won’t be too boring.

 

 “Mama,” Artemis called out in the darkness. They had long since left the familiarity of Almandi and were travelling through the night to reach Chrysi by the following evening.

Queen Misa had drifted off to sleep for a few minutes, but her eyes shot open at “mama.” Artemis hadn’t called her that in years. Not since she had her first nightmare. Not since she saw her father injured from battle. Not since she got her first cycle. In short, Artemis didn’t call Queen Misa “mama” unless she was truly afraid.

“Yes darling,” Misa answered searching for Artemis’s hand in the darkness.

“What if this... this arrangement? What if it doesn’t work out? What if he turns out to be everything I despise?”

“Then you will return to Almandi with your father and me, and we’ll just have to try again,” she answered covering Artemis’s hand with her own.

Artemis bit the inside of her cheek at the mention of her father.

“The King wouldn’t be too pleased with my return after coming this far will he,” Artemis asked as she turned to face her mother. She knew the answer to this question already, but she needed to hear it from her mother.

“No, but he is much more concerned with you being comfortable with whoever is pursuing your hand,” Misa replied as she tightened her hold on Artemis’s hand, “He just wants you to try, Artemis.”

Artemis fell silent at that final sentiment. What if I try and fail? Or worse, what if I consider accepting his proposal? What happens to Almandi? Will I be able to return? I don’t think I’m ready to leave everything behind.

“Artemis, are you okay?”

“Yes Your Highness. I think I’m going to get some rest in preparation for tomorrow,” she answered resolutely. Her stony tone implied that she was done talking about the issue.

Misa picked up on it and resorted to rubbing comforting circles on her knuckles in response.

“Regardless of what happens, Artemis you can always come home, to Almandi. Even if you fall in love and marry him, you can always come back home and see us. You don’t have to completely forget everything,” she whispered before closing her own eyes and drifting off to sleep.

Artemis heard every word that left her mother’s mouth. Her mother’s ability to know what’s bothering her had always amazed her. Even when Artemis kept most of her concerns to herself, her mother always knew what occupied her thoughts. As a result, Misa answered the questions Artemis was too afraid to ask for herself. She felt like a huge weight had been lifted, and just as quickly as it had surfaced, Artemis’s fear had been replaced with reassurance and renewed determination. She refused to be nothing short of flawless in the eyes of this court. She was the daughter of King Artez after all.

 

The following morning the royal palace of Chrysi was buzzing with excitement. Everything had to be perfect for the arrival of Prince Jackson’s guest. Baths were drawn and scented with fragrant oils. Garments were pressed and hung with care. The most delicious delicacies of Chrysi were being prepared, and the royal family was enjoying breakfast in their private dining room. Well, most of the royal family.

Bam Bam glanced over at his brother’s empty chair before wiping his mouth and letting out a frustrated huff.

“Unbelievable,” he muttered, “How does he manage to sleep when the rest of the palace is in full swing?”

“Is there something bothering you Prince Kunpimook?”

Bam Bam plastered a smile on his face before answering his mother.

 “I was just wondering if Prince Jackson would join us for breakfast before or after his coronation.”

“That’s a very reasonable concern you have there,” Queen Jia mused as she stared at her youngest son.

“Reasonable indeed, tell me son are you finished eating,” King Nickhun inquired as he sliced through his trout.

“Yes father.”

“Well why don’t you go see what’s taking Prince Jackson so long instead of stewing at the table,” King Nickhun suggested as he brought the seasoned meat to his lips.

Queen Jia simpered at the King’s request. Wit was definitely one thing her family did not lack... amongst other things. Unlike Nickhun, she found Bam Bam’s sarcasm charming to say the least. But let Nickhun tell it, she’s always had a soft spot for her baby boy. Bam Bam’s lip twitched at the suggestion, but he dared not challenge his father. He silently got up from his seat, making sure to pay his respects to his parents before he made his exit. He passed through the dining room doors, leaving the tranquil room and headed towards the bustling staircase. He was careful and calculated in his ascent. He made sure to stay out of the way of the servants; they were clearly doing much more important things in preparation for their guests. He admired their professionalism. Everyone was on top of things, unlike his brother.

“I should NOT be playing dodge the servant,” Bam Bam fumed as he barely escaped a tray of silverware, “the morning of meeting my future sister-in-law.”

“And I DEFINITELY should not be waking up my brother when this day is all about the future of our kingdom.”

Bam Bam let out a defeated sigh after reaching the top of the stairs.

“I wonder if he knows she’s the only princess willing to marry him.”

 

“So tell me more about this Artemis of Almandi,” Jackson stated before taking a sip of his tea.

It was meant to come off as more of a demand than a request. But Jackson’s current state was making it hard to follow his orders. He was decked out in his red, silk house robe, his hair was combed back from his face, and his feet were adorned with the fuzziest black slippers. He looked like a swindler.

“What did I tell you,” Jinyoung asked barely able to maintain a serious face.

Jackson rolled his eyes at Jinyoung.

“I recall you saying she was beautiful and I would meet her today,” Jackson parroted with a straight-face.

“Well why are you trying to pump us for more information? Just find out when she gets here,” Jaebum smiled as he crossed legs and leaned back.

Jackson was disappointed by Jaebum’s lack of cooperation. Frustrated? Yes. Surprised? No. While he ignored Jaebum’s terrible attempts to control his face, Jackson turned to Mark, his closest friend out of the three. Jackson hoped Mark would give him something other than the standard “I don’t really know” coupled with his signature shrug, and just like Jackson hoped Mark did neither of those things.

“So what is she like Mark,” Jackson inquired as he sat his cup down.

Mark sat up and cleared his throat, causing everyone to lean forward. Even the maids inclined their heads to hear the redhead speak.

“No,” Mark answered clearly before resuming his original posture.

“What do you mean no,” Jackson asked incredulously.

Mark only shook his head, confirming his original answer.

Jinyoung snorted at the exchange while Jaebum coughed in an equally poor second attempt to hide his amusement.

“How are you guys going to go all the way to Almandi to find me a princess and not tell me anything about her or the voyage,” Jackson sulked as he sunk into his robe.

“You never mentioned the voyage, Sire,” Jinyoung informed Jackson quietly.

Jackson only glared at Jinyoung, effectively silencing the other male.

“As I was saying, how was the trip? What kind of country is Almandi,” Jackson asked excitedly.

“The kind you won’t be visiting if you don’t put something on other than that disgusting robe and those vomit-inducing slippers,” Bam Bam cut in from the doorway.

Jackson rolled his eyes at his younger brother while his friends practically fell on the floor from laughing.

“How many times have I told you not to come in my room without knocking,” Jackson seethed.

“I actually prefer not being in here at all. Your room is saturated with the scent of your oils and perfumes; honestly, it’s too hard on the nose. Personally I believe less is more, but to each his own,” Bam Bam finished with a polite smile.

“Why in the hell are you even here then if my room is ‘too hard on the nose’,” Jackson asked mimicking his younger brother in the process.

“You were supposed to join us for breakfast so Dad could go over some details about Artemis and her country’s traditions,” Bam Bam explained as if particulars weren’t really needed.

Jackson’s eyes widened.

“Don’t tell me you forgot about it,” Bam Bam asked, sounding more than a little annoyed.

“Of course I didn’t forget,” Jackson bluffed, “I just wanted to talk to the guys about some war strategies.”

Bam Bam clasped his hands together in disbelief. He had heard just about everything his brother said from outside the study door. It wasn’t like he was quiet. At all.

“So asking your friends about your potential wife is what war strategies consist of these days,” Bam Bam cackled as he leaned against the doorframe. Jackson smiled at his little brother.

“Bam Bam, if you haven’t figured it out yet, love is war.”

Bam Bam looked to the other three for confirmation, and sadly they all agreed with Jackson. Jackson smugly crossed his legs and put his hands behind his head, the action of a self-satisfied future king. Bam Bam decided to let his brother exercise his ego for a few moments more before reminding him of the situation at hand.

“If you don’t get it together, you’re going to lose the war before it even starts,” Bam Bam notified his brother before making his exit.

 

A/N: This is another one shot I decided to develop further. I hope you guys enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Feel free to comment, upvote, and subscribe. 

- Jupiter >.<