RUBRIC

colors: a writing contest for 2016

R U B R I C

This isn't really a strict rubric, as in I won't be grading each entry using a score. This is more of a reference so you can see what my thought process is when I'm reading fics.

 

Title: 5%
Interesting titles catch my attention and make me more interested in reading the fic. But don't stress over it too much!

Description/Foreword: 0% (can earn up to an extra 5%)
I honestly don't pay much attention to the description and foreword because I usually just immediately skip to the story itself. But descriptions and forewords that are well-thought-out can earn you some "extra credit" points.

Plot: 30%
This category includes factors such as pacing, believability (to a certain extent; this is more like "how much did you flesh out your world?" and "does the world feel developed?" This is applicable to fics set in alternate universes, alternate realities, and canon settings), originality, and execution. Honestly, I'm not overly concerned with the originality of a plot, because people can execute cliché plots very well.

Characterization: 30%
Weighed just as heavily as plot to recognize that some stories are more character-driven than plot-driven. I tend to look for characters that are fleshed-out. Do your characters have distinct voices? Are they static or dynamic characters (though there isn't necessarily a right or wrong in this case, depending on what you're trying to do)?

Writing Style: 15%
This category factors in coherency, readability (if it's easy to get through without having to stop to understand things), and impact (hard to describe this exactly but: if the way you write provides the reader with an emotional connection and/or makes me more interested to keep reading).

Grammar: 10%
I understand that English is not everyone's native language, so I'm mostly looking for if I can understand the gist of what you're writing about.

Prompt Usage: can earn up to an extra 5%
If you choose to use a prompt (off the previous chapter, or one that you found yourself! Just please do link to it somewhere in your description/foreword), interesting interpretations and executions of prompts can get you some extra points!

Personal Enjoyment: 10% (can earn up to an extra 5%. See Chapter 3 for details)
This is a fairly substantial amount but know that this is the most lenient category. Think of it more of as an "if I liked your story or some aspect of it, you will get some points!" because it doesn't take a lot to get me to like a fic, I think. No entry will earn zero points in this category unless something is horribly, horribly wrong (i.e glorifying ual assault or ).

 

 

Unless asked to after the contest, I will probably not formally score any entry, other than in the Personal Enjoyment category. But this rubric represents what I'm looking for the Overall 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place entries.