He should have stayed in California

Bulletproof

!!Warning violence ahead but not much gore!!

It's been several months since Jisoo had moved to Korea. Every day he spent there made him miss his family in California even more, though his 
passion for the arts never faltered. 

Jisoo wanted to be a singer someday and studies hard under harsh teachers that often gave him so much to do but little time to find a gig. He lived in a small apartment near a large lake that seemed to stretch on forever and was the first thing he loved about his new home. It was as if the lake welcomed Jisoo to Korea with its crystal clear water and the schools of fish swimming around and the ripples that the lake made whenever boats made their journeys across it. 

Jisoo was making his way to his apartment and found it in a busy square right next to a bustling market where people were yelling and pushing each other and basically made so much noise but of course Jisoo wasn't one to complain, at least he had the sight of the beautiful lake.He darted past the busy crowd and quickly made his way to his room which luckily, he didn't share with anyone since everyone was either loud, a smoker or an alcoholic or worse all of the above. Of course he had to pay his rent extra since he didn't have and didn't want a roommate but it's worth not having a distraction while writing songs.

His room wasn't much but it was cozy to him, it was rather packed with a desk in one corner piled with crumpled paper and soda from staying up trying to work on new songs. His bed was unmade and also had some clothes scattered here and there and some food under his bed. Jisoo was usually a very organized person but with the stress he's been going through he didn't really have the time to clean up his room.

He collapsed face-down on the bed and just sighed into his blanket. Positivity always saved Jisoo from being a total victim to stress so he always put on a smile and went through everyday as if everything was going his way. 

Though it really didn't.

His life at the dorm consisted of yelling from the other rooms and the sound of either wine or beer bottles smashing against walls every now and then but honestly even though Jisoo was already tired of it he was already used to all the ruckus. Sometimes when he would be walking through the apartment hallways someone would throw glass bottles at him but he would simply dodge it as if it was nothing. 

Well no one said life would be perfect.

Jisoo was practically chewing on his pencil already as he was scribbling down lyrics to his "song" while people in the apartment were being noisy as usual so Jisoo tried drowning the noise out by strumming his guitar.

That was until he heard a gunshot.

The sound crackled through the air and gave Jisoo goosebumps. Sure he was used to all the violence and rowdiness of the apartment but it never came to the point that someone would take out a gun. 

Jisoo was hesitant at first but he stuck his head out of the door to check if anyone was right outside with a gun and luckily there was no one. The gunshot must have come from downstairs then so Jisoo mustered up all his courage and stepped out of his room and closed the door behind him.

He was now walking ever so slowly towards the sound of the gunshot, flinching every now and then when the floorboards creaked. Several voices were heard downstairs and Jisoo spotted the usual delinquents at the apartment though he was surprised to see three new faces and each of them were sporting fancy red suits and were each holding a gun. To Jisoo's bewilderment he saw that the apartment's residents had guns too, and they looked like they had more firepower than the ones of the newcomers.

"What kind of crap did they get themselves into this time" Jisoo murmured to himself, he knew his landlord always got himself into sticky situations but this looked to be the worst one by far. 

One of the men in suits,most probably the leader,bravely stepped forward and looked like he was ready to kill,aiming his gun towards each of his enemies.His targets however, did not flinch at his action and stayed put.

"You think that's gonna scare me sweetie?" Minwoo, the landlord of the flat sneered at the leader.

"Who knew pretty girls would be so intimidating~~" A thug teased while walking around the leader of the newcomers and caressing "her" long hair. 

One of the other boys on the same team as the "girl" with long hair, a boy with metallic hoop earrings,stepped in between his leader and one of the thugs.

"Don't touch our boss like that" He threatened with his face so close to the delinquent.

The delinquent still wasn't fazed by any of the threats and just chuckled at the attempts of the boys to scare him.

"Minghao-ah~" Another of the boys cooed. The other boy, apparently named Minghao, looked back to see a handsome, charismatic figure walk towards him. He looked calm, almost too calm.

Minghao flinched when his teammate put a hand on his shoulder and winked at him.

"Let your jun-hyung handle this" The charismatic guy said proudly.

Minghao stepped back in line along with their leader and Jun boldly stepped forward and looked at each of the apartment's famous delinquents.

"Sorry about Minghao he can get a little too intense when someone makes fun of the boss" he said with a smirk then suddenly turned serious .

"We just want what's rightfully ours" He strode over to Minwoo, pushing the thug aside as if he were nothing, and rubbed his fingers together.

"Ahh~ you mean the money we rightfully stole?" Minwoo chuckled softly while looking at his gang who smirked back. 

"Isn't there something else aside from money that's precious to you all~~" the thug then put his arm around jun's shoulders slyly. 

"Or is money all that important to you that you didn't notice anything else~~" Minwoo sneered while pointing a broken glass bottle at Jun's face. 

The redhead now had wide eyes and frantically searched his suit pockets and seemed to be punching a number in his phone immediately, several moments passed but no one picked up.He then shook his head at Jun with a broken expression.

"Seungkwan-ah... you took him didn't you" Jun hissed while glaring daggers at each of the delinquents.

"Don't worry we didn't do anything too bad to him" the thug sneered at the mafia crew of three.

"What the did you do to him?!" Jun then lurched forward and grabbed the collar of the thug's shirt.

Jisoo decided he had had enough of what he was seeing and was going to quietly sneak back into his room when a floorboard creaked under his first step.

At that moment the mafia crew of three spotted Jisoo watching them and started firing away. Luckily he was quick and ducked out of their sight before a bullet could hit him. 
He scrambled desperately back into the hall when he heard footsteps coming up the stairs, he was so dead if they caught up.

Unfortunately he knew he wasn't going to be able to safely take refuge in his room since it was fairly far and the mafia crew of three were catching up fast so he ducked into a near open room, closed the door behind him ,and hid in the closet.

He never knew how fast he was breathing and how rapid is heartbeat was until he got into the closet. He put his hand over his heart and took deep breaths and was about to calm down when the door burst open with two new voices.

"Get in there kid" said a low, grumpy voice which was followed by a thud as a body hit the floor.

After the thud a whimper was heard and as Jisoo peered through the closet he saw the chubby body of another boy in a suit similar to the ones who were chasing him just a while ago. He had light brown hair and had rather chubby cheeks that made him look like a child.The sight was pitiful, the boy was struggling to get up only to be pushed back down by his enemy. Eventually the thug decided to leave him be for a bit and sat down on an armchair in the room while watching amusingly at the latter trying to pick himself up from the ground.

The young boy was panting and stood up, showing off a boxing stance with his fists in front of him.

"Y-You know what I've come for" he stammered as his whole body was shaking and he shifted his feet so that he could keep his balance. 

"Look kid you're interfering with private business so I'm here to make sure you stop snooping around"The thug just chuckled at the boy in front of him and walked around him slowly while watching his prey with anticipation.

"W-what you're afraid of getting your kicked by a kid like me?" The boy inquired while flashing a weak grin and keeping his eyes on the thug.

 The latter being circled by his predator was trying his best to keep calm despite his current situation. It was then that Jisoo found out that he held his breath for so long out of fear while watching the two that he exhaled sharply. He was amazed at how the boy attempted to be brave even though he was cornered and Jisoo felt ashamed that he was already about to collapse from anxiety even though he was safe inside a closet. He then tried to shift to a different position since his legs were already starting to ache from being in the cramped closet for so long that when he tried to get up he accidentally knocked over a hanger and clattered inside the closet.

The thug's head then snapped to the direction of the closet and Jisoo knew that he was done for. He saw that the thug was walking now in the direction of the closet and braces himself for the worst.

"h-hey wait I'm not finished with you" the boy snarled weakly at the latter who didn't even respond as he was making a beeline for the closet.

"Ignoring me huh?" He growled as he marched forward and spun the thug around to look at him. This was a big mistake. He had tried to punch the latter but was too slow and the thug took the upper hand by grabbing the boy by his hair and slamming his head against the closet repeatedly with each thud resonating against the wood and sending chills through Jisoo's body and he quickly covered his mouth to prevent him from screaming. He started crawling backwards into the closet while still staring at the current beating that was happening. The boy's head was already about to bleed from the several times his head was being slammed against the hard wood that Jisoo felt so guilty, so weak that he couldn't do anything to help the poor kid.

...unless he was brave enough to try.

The boy's hair was then yanked and the thug sent his body flying over to hit the cold floor. Jisoo took a look at the boy's round cheeks as they were flushed with red along with the rest if his face. His state was awful, his arms couldn't even hold himself up and he was coughing harshly with a few drops of blood dripping from his nose and mouth.

Jisoo covered his eyes but peeked through his fingers as the thug went over to the boy to finish him off. Fortunately his cell rang and the thug nodded and darted out of the room in a flash.

"I'll be back for you kid" he called after the boy as he slammed the door behind him.

Jisoo sighed with relief as the thug left the room and looked at the poor boy and noticed that there were a few tears trailing down the boy's round chubby cheeks. He opened the closet door carefully so as to not make a sound while he slowly approached the boy and hoped that he didn't have any firearms with him.

As he was already standing in front of the poor boy he knelt down and gently tapped the kid's head.

"H-hey are you alright do you need me to call an ambulance or something?" Jisoo asked slowly and gently while keeping watch on the door in case the thug came back sooner than expected.

"What do you think?! my head was repeatedly slammed onto hard wood do you really think I'm okay?!" The boy rudely countered while furiously wiping his tears away.

Jisoo had no idea how to respond and felt stupid for asking such a dumb question that he just reached into his pocket and took out his handkerchief to give to the crying boy.

The boy snatched it and wiped his tears on the soft fabric and also dabbed it on a fresh wound that opened on his cheek and hissed at the pain.

"Where the hell did you even come from were you in that closet the whole time?!" The boy was practically fuming that Jisoo saw that the latter's face became a darker shade of red from anger.

"Y-yeah I'm sorry that beating must have been so rough I mean if I was in your place I probably would have died.... you were pretty brave to stand up to someone like him" Jisoo said sincerely while rubbing the back of his neck while laughing sheepishly.

At that moment the boy just gawked at Jisoo until he scoffed and leaned in closer to Jisoo.

"You're damn right I'm brave!! by the way... who are you anyway?"he inquired while looking at him up and down.

"J-Jisoo uhh Hong Jisoo" he stuttered out while timidly offering his hand for the boy to shake.

The latter stared at his hand until he sighed and shook his hand.

"Well I'm pleased to make your acquaintance I guess.. Could you also help me up?" The boy said rather plainly as he met Jisoo's eyes again.

Jisoo stood up and helped the boy get to his feet and since he was still unsteady from the beating Jisoo had to be ready to catch him if he were to fall back down.

"I'm Seungkwan. Boo Seungkwan don't underestimate my cute face 'cause I swear I can give you hell" he proclaimed proudly as he had one hand on his hip.He may have been beaten up but his pride was still unscathed.

The older chuckled into his fist. The kid was just so amusing even after going through a beating like that. 

"Anyway we need to get out of here, so stay behind me I'll protect you" Seungkwan said while limping towards the door and pulling out a pocket knife until Jisoo rushed towards him.

"Wait you're in no condition to fight you need to take it easy" Jisoo insisted and was now holding onto both of seungkwan's arms steadily.

"But that guy will be back anytime soon so we have to escape now" Seungkwan protested trying to shake off Jisoo's grip.

Footsteps were heard once again until it stopped in front of the room they were in. Seungkwan quickly shoved Jisoo back into the closet and tossed him another pocket knife 

"You're gonna need it" and with that he shut the door right in Jisoo's face before the thug came back in to give  him his second beating.

"Oh~ you could still stand even after I beat you up huh" the thug sneered at him while cracking his knuckles.

"Yep it didn't even faze me" Seungkwan lied while pointing his pocket knife at the enemy and with a final wave of strength he pounced towards the enemy attempting to stab him. The thug however side-stepped just in time and tripped the kid. With that he bent over him and proceeded to choke the life out of the latter. Seungkwan waved his pocketknife around trying to find an opening so that he could stab the thug but to no avail so he was helplessly flailing his arm around. His face was slowly losing color due to lack of air and he was trying to push the thug off but he was much to heavy.

Jisoo couldn't take it any longer.

"Leave him alone" Jisoo said, feeling a slight tinge of bravery which fled immediately as the thug stared daggers at him.

"J-Jisoo-ssi what are you doing" Seungkwan breathed out until the thug tightened his grip around his throat.

"And who the hell are you" The thug said looking ready to pounce.

"N-Nobody really, look just leave him alone you've beaten him up enough" Jisoo said holding up both of his hands in surrender.

"Standing up for the little guy huh?" The thug scoffed while tilting his head towards Seungkwan. 

Seungkwan however felt the thug's hands loosen around his neck and took the opportunity to jab the pocket knife into the side of the thug's stomach.

The wound was deep causing the thug to howl in pain and stagger backward as Seungkwan finally pushed him off. 

"That was dumb of you Jisoo-ssi I was doing perfectly fine on my own" Seungkwan said scolding Jisoo.

"But you looked like you were gonna die!" Jisoo protested "your face was losing color and everything!!" 

"Yeah yeah whatever" Seungkwan said ignoring Jisoo's comebacks "we need to go before-"

A bullet hit the pocket knife in Seungkwan's hand and sent it flying. The thug had a gun hidden in his coat and fired a last shot to try to prevent the two from escaping.

"Before that happens" Seungkwan said as he grabbed on to Jisoo's arm and quickly pulled him out of the room. 

All around them the voices of the other delinquents were echoing through the apartment hallways.

"Where did the gunshot come from" 
"I think it was this way!" 

Before Jisoo knew what was happening Seungkwan was dragging him along the winding hallways trying to move as far away as possible from the voices of the thug's colleagues.

"We have to find the others, I'm sure Jeonghan-hyung is somewhere around here-" 

BAM

They rounded a corner and Jisoo was greeted with a punch to the face and staggered backward. 

As he lay on the floor with a few moments left of consciousness he saw a flash of red and a stranger appeared towering over him.

Before he closed his eyes he swore he saw an angel.