Playground

Playground

It was late at night, when Hyungwon decided to take a break from studying. He turned to look out of his window to the little playground located in front of his house. To his surprise he saw someone sitting on one of the swings. Now this was nothing out of the ordinary, often teens would be seen hanging out in little groups at the playground at night. Still it was a bit strange that this person appeared to be alone. Hyungwon looked a little closer and could see the guy’s shoulders shake. Was this mysterious person crying? By now Hyungwon started to get interested. He considered going outside to check up on the person, but that seemed a little strange to him because he didn’t know the guy. If only he could see him a little bit better from the comforts of his bedroom… Hyungwon looked around and spotted the binoculars he used to spy on the neighbors’ cats. Even though he felt a little bit like a stalker now he still decided to use them. With the binoculars in front of his eyes he could see the person a lot better. Slightly shocked he noticed that the guy was someone that was in some of his classes. But why would Minhyuk, the one in class who always walked around with a smile on his face, be seen crying in a park all alone at night? Hyungwon knew this was going to be an awkward conversation but he was too curious now to not go and talk to Minhyuk. He walked downstairs and greeted his mom.

“Mom I’m going out for a walk for a bit, I really want to take a break from studying for a while.” His mom nodded so Hyungwon grabbed his jacket and walked out of the door. Slowly he crossed the street and approached the lonely Minhyuk sitting on the swing.

“Hello” Hyungwon said and groaned internally, god could he have been more awkward? He saw Minhyuk get startled before quickly wiping his face with his hands.

“Uh, H-Hello” Minhyuk shyly looked up. Well, Hyungwon thought, it can’t get much worse.

“You’re Minhyuk, right?” He saw the other nod. “We’re in the same class. Sorry this must be even more awkward for you than for me. But I saw you cry and I just wanted to know what was wrong, cause you always seem so happy and such…”

“Ah yeah, it’s-it’s nothing.” Even though Minhyuk’s eyes were still red from crying he still managed to look embarrassed. Hyungwon sat down in the other swing.

“You can tell me, I won’t laugh or judge you or something. I know you barely know me, but you can trust me.” Hyungwon heard Minhyuk let out a little sigh and looked over at him. He saw Minhyuk looking up at the sky and just when he thought Minhyuk wasn’t going to say anything anymore, he spoke up.

“It’s a little stupid though. I saw my boyfr-lover with another guy today, well I guess I should say ex-lover.” Minhyuk let out a bitter laugh and looked at Hyungwon again. “I told you it was stupid.”

“No, I don’t think it’s stupid.” Hyungwon reassured. “Actually I think it’s quite horrible to be cheated on. It’s not strange for you to cry about it a bit, especially if you really loved the other.”

“Yeah, it .” For a while it was silent, only the slight creaking of the swings could be heard. Strangely it was really comfortable instead of awkward. Hyungwon looked forward again to the street with a small smile. Of course he felt really bad for Minhyuk to be cheated on, but maybe he would have a chance now. He wasn’t stupid, he had heard how Minhyuk misspoke and almost said his boyfriend instead of the gender neutral lover. Hyungwon knew this was the most he and the other had spoken the whole year, but that didn’t mean he hadn’t admired Minhyuk from a distance. The boy was always smiling in school and made funny jokes. He also was always ready to help his friends when needed. Besides Hyungwon thought he was pretty hot. Suddenly he got pulled out from his thoughts when the other started to speak again.

“Thank you Hyungwon, it felt good to talk about it with someone and hear that it’s okay to be crying. I really appreciate you took the time to talk to me even though we barely know each other. What were you even doing outside at this time?” Minhyuk looked genuinely curious. Hyungwon felt himself turn a little red and let out an embarrassed cough. He pointed to the other side of the street.

“I actually live there and saw you from my window. It seemed like you were crying so I wanted to see what was wrong.” Hyungwon conveniently left out the part of looking through his binoculars to see who it was. He already felt stalkerish enough as it was. He softly added. “You’re always smiling, so it felt strange to see you sad, it made me worry.”

“Ah yeah, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you worried about me.”

“No, it’s not your fault. How could it be your fault to get cheated on. You’re a great guy, anyone should feel lucky to have you as their boyfriend.” Hyungwon felt embarrassed but he made sure to keep eye contact with the other while he said that.

“Are you trying to tell me something?” Minhyuk said slyly, and then sighed. “It’s really sweet of you to say though, but I’m really not that great.”

“Don’t look so down on yourself, you are sweet, funny and not bad to look at at all.”  Hyungwon laughed when he saw Minhyuk turn red. “I’m serious though, you shouldn’t feel so negative about yourself.”

“I’ll try, really thank you Hyungwon. If I had known you were so nice, I would’ve made sure to talk to you before.” Minhyuk turned to Hyungwon with a big smile on his face. “Would you like to hang out tomorrow after school? We could play games at my house or study or something?”

“Yeah, I would like that.” They smiled at each other for a moment before Minhyuk got up to go home.

“Then I’ll see you tomorrow at school.” They walked to the front of Hyungwon’s house together, before Minhyuk turned to go left. “Thanks again Hyungwon! See you tomorrow!”

“Bye.” Hyungwon waved at the other until he turned around the corner. He opened the door with a smile on his face. In the end it turned out to be a good decision to talk to Minhyuk tonight.

A/N: Thank you for reading! We hope you enjoyed it ^^