Finale

On His Mind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

    Gyo Inhye’s ghost replaced Jaebum’s. That was just the truth of the matter. Ever since she pushed him off of the school’s rooftop, she hadn’t seen him ever again. As if she would be able to.

 

Now the girl was stuck in her own never ending loop. When she wasn’t active, it was like she didn’t exist. Unable to see anything or move, as if she was a sleep. She only came back to reality once someone walked into her family's home, that technically wasn’t her family’s anymore. Once her mother and father returned to find both children missing, they sold the house and moved back to the city. The girl only knew this because once they stepped back into the home, she was shot back into her living room. Thus began her cycle of reliving the thing that killed her.

 

    Years had passed before anyone moved in. It was a family with a teenaged boy whose name Inhye never learned. But as he sat alone one day on the new couch in the family room, the girl appeared, same as that unfateful night. She began to speak, saying the words she once spoke to Jaebum as they had a conversation. Then her form moving without her consent, like a song that coming from a broken speaker that keeps playing no matter how many times you hit the stop button.

 

Her body without thinking would walk down the hall. She’d put a heavy hand and acted as if the door was locked. Then she’d wait a moment and be able to turn the lock, same as that night she had to wait for Jaebum to pass through and unlock it from the inside. The girl would then move into the room, only to disappear, unable to continue the actions of that night since no one would follow her. The boy sitting in the living room couldn’t see her, so how would he know to look?

 

    And as years passed, the only time she was able to think was in this same old broken record of a state. She used this small time to wonder if this was all her existence would ever be. Then during the next short time of consciousness she wondered how many times Jaebum had reenacted his death in front of lone wanderers on the rooftop. Only for them to not see him and either walk out halfway through, or simply sit on the concrete tiled area and not acknowledge him whatsoever.

 

    When it happened for a third time, Inhye wondered why her reenactment was so long. Jaebum’s was only a conversation long followed by him jumping off a roof. Hers included the conversation, walking down the hall, then probably her sitting on the bed and going out of the house and to the hole she jumped down. Or, at least that’s what her best guess was. She still hadn’t made it past walking into the bedroom, still not having lured the teenage boy in the house into following her.

 

This pattern repeated every time the bleach blonde boy sat on the living room couch when he was home alone. Which seemed to happen quite a lot honestly. Inhye had no sense of time, but comparing how he looked between each interaction and not seeing much of a physical change in him, she estimated her form haunted him around once, maybe twice a week. After the hundredth or so repeat of the same conversation directed to the empty spot Jaebum once sat so long ago, her forcibly walking down the hall, turning the knob and walking inside the room only to disappear, the girl became to think of when the boy would move out, and someone else would move in.

 

She began to understand why vengeful spirits existed. If they had to repeat the same few actions hundreds of times only to get no response, it’d make anyone go insane. Inhye began to feel herself lose any bit of mental stability she once had, starting to wish that she could have a new victim to haunt, hoping they’d respond to her to put out of her misery.


 

Inhye began to not even care if they would have to die.


 

The girl had no way to keep count, but what after feel like an eternity in hell of repeating the same action in front of the same blank faced boy who sat slack jawed staring at the tv screen before him, she appeared, and saw a new boy sitting on a new couch. The walls of the room were painted a different color, and the boy looked too comfortable. His body sprawled out across the lavish seating, shaggy dark hair falling dangerously close to his eyes, causing him to shake his head ever so often to move it out the way.

 

Again, Inhye began the same dramatic song and dance, and much to her dismay, the boy seemed to not even notice. The girl honestly wanted to die even though she was already dead. No matter how much she tried to fight against it, her ghastly form was still propelled by some unknown force into making the same movements and speaking the same tired words. As she walked down the hall and grabbed the knob, internally she was taken aback to see someone sitting in the room.

 

And that someone was staring right at her.

 

Inhye so badly wanted to control her own speech, half full of wanting to warn this new boy. The other half wanted him to fall into her trap. Fall into her trap of playing out that faintly familiar scenario to which she would lead him out in the forest and push him down that ing hole. Hopefully that could free her from this constant tiring repetition of the same over and over. Then again, the hopeful half of her wondered if Jaebum was truly freed, or if he was still stuck in same loop. The darker side of her mind said she would just have to find out herself.

 

The girl watched the boy as she sat on the bed, reenacting the part of the scene she barely remembered since it happened years ago at this point. Her form curled up into a ball and held back tears as the boy asked who she was and what she was doing in his room. For a brief moment, Inhye recalled the fact this was once, a long time ago, her little brother’s room. She reminisced on the fact that Jaebum told her demons liked to pester ghosts. At times she wished that the demon who possessed her younger brother would come to bother her during one of her reenactments, just so she could see him again.

 

Nonetheless, Inhye continued her song and dance. She looked at the spot Jaebum onc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter