4

On His Mind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

 A few hours and several completed worksheets later, Inhye decided to get up from her messy bed and stretch her legs. Having not heard anything from her little brother in a few hours was usual, but given the current circumstance with a stray animal in his possession, she wanted to check up on him. The girl opened her bedroom door and peaked down the empty hallway.

 

The sun had set and the only light on in the house was coming from her room. She stepped out of the door frame as her eyes adjusted to the darkness and looked at Junseo’s door, a strip of light coming from beneath the crack. The girl walked forward and squinted as she searched for the hall light switch. She flipped it on and blinked as she looked at the stained carpet to the left of her room. The once beige microfibers now held a puddle of dark brown and all the girl could think was that stupid cat probably threw up.

 

    Inhye walked down the hall to further inspect the patch and upon seeing it closer, it appeared to hold more of a red tinge. She knew from horror movies and personal adolescent experience that blood stains can turn brown, but it takes a few hours or even days.  The girl let out a huff as she looked ahead into the living room, trying to remember where the light switch was, but instead saw a pair of glowing green eyes peering in her direction.

 

Inhye reminded herself that animals have a more reflective eye, which is what causes them to sometimes have glowing eyes in photos, and that the green is probably just that stupid cat sitting creepily on the couch or something. She walked into the room and remembered there was no overhead light and only lamps. Making way to beside the tv, she clicked on the standing light fixture and nearly bricks when she saw someone sitting on her couch. After the brief second of shock passed, she recognized the person and felt her stomach drop.

 

    “Why the hell are you in my house?” Inhye said to the person and she did her best not to shake. The person just shrugged and leaned further into the couch.

 

    “I didn’t know this was your house,” Jaebum said as he watched the girl stand beside the tall lamp, struggling not to pick it up and beat him with it.

 

    “Then why did you come into some random person’s home?” she asked, regretting ever interacting with someone who claimed to be a supernatural being.

 

    “Well, I live here now,” he said simply as if it was an okay thing. The girl was so taken aback all she do was shake her head.

 

    “What, that, no, you’re not why are here you-oh my gosh,” Inhye said, unable to comprehend what was happening. “How did you get in?”

 

    “I just came in, I don’t have to use doors like you do,” Jaebum said, confirming that he can pass through walls. Because he is a ghost after all, isn’t he?

 

    “Really, why are you here?” Inhye said, her fear dying down but her curiosity still flying high. The boy sighed as he shifted from sitting to laying down on the couch.

 

    “I’m tired, let me rest,” he said and Inhye rolled her eyes. The girl walked towards him and took a spot beside him, tilting her head and he layed with his eyes closed.

 

    “My parents aren’t here to kick you out, but that doesn’t mean you can stay,” Inhye said, her resolve slowly washing away. She had no idea how to deal with the situation but couldn’t just sit back and do nothing about it. The girl watched as Jaebum laid still, chest staying flat as he had his eyes closed. His complexion was even more unrealistically pale up close and his skin appeared even more translucent.

 

He still donned the school uniform and Inhye started to wonder if he really did jump off the roof at school and die. Was it during class? After school? Before? Was he with his friends eating lunch up there? If he committed suicide, did that mean he didn’t have any friends? The girl let out a sigh as she wondered endlessly about the person, or lack thereof, that lay beside her.

 

    “Are you really sleeping?” Inhye asked.

 

    “No,” Jaebum said. The girl went limp from frustration and relaxed into the sofa cushion.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter