5

On His Mind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    “Are you being serious? What do we do then?” The girl asked, unable to met the boy’s eyes due to the pain in her head.

 

    “We could go after it.”

 

    “But what is it doing, what does it want? Why is it here, what the fu-” she started, cutting herself off with another dry cough.

 

    The boy just stood aside, unsure of what to do, also having never experienced something like this before. After a moment of internal debate, he decided to speak what he knew to the girl, hoping that somehow it could untangle this mess. He walked towards her and sat down at the end of the bed.

 

    “Inhye,” he started, gaining a bit of her attention, but still not able to have her look at him. “You know, you’re not supposed to be able to see me.”

 

She said nothing in response. Jaebum really didn’t like talking, whether he was dead or alive. But being put in a different position outside of the constant loop of his death that he seemed to be forced to reenact every time a stranger appeared on the roof top, only to have them not respond since he was invisible to them, made him feel refreshed at being able to actually do something else for once.

 

    “And not because, I’m not real anymore, but because no one, else, no one has ever been able to see me.”

 

    This caught her attention. As she lifted her head, the boy saw tears streaming down her face.

    

“What are you on about? Do you mean I have the sixth sense or something? I-I don’t care. I don’t want it if like this is going to happen.” She said, doing her best to pull herself together, but failing at letting out a cough after her words. The boy sat still, not knowing what to do.

 

    Only a second of silence passed before Inhye forced herself to stand, ignoring the out of body experience she seemed to be experiencing.

 

    “So,” she paused herself to sniff back an already runny nose. “Where do we go from here?”

 

    Jaebum lead her out of the house and into the forest neighboring her street. The summer night kept them cool but the humidity still made beads of sweat pool at her hairline.

 

    “Honestly, I don’t know what I’m doing. I’ve been stuck at the rooftop ever since I died. All of this is just going off feeling.” Jaebum said, and Inhye felt comfort knowing he was being honest during a time like this.

 

    The girl noticed the trail she and Junseo had taken in the afternoon, and wondered if he had any control of himself, or if it was just a demon using him as a meat sack.

 

    “What do you know then?”

 

    “That ghosts get stuck in a loop of their death and demons love to mess with them. Reason I could tell it was that in your house was because it's the same one that follows me.”

 

    “So, even supernatural things hate each other, not just humans?”

 

    “Well, a demon is a demon after all,” he said with a shrug, now letting Inhye lead the way since she was far more passionate and he kept going in circles.

 

    “Wait, so how did you know where I live? It could have followed me home, but...?”

 

    Jaebum shrugged, to which the girl rolled her eyes.

 

    The sun had been completely gone for some time now, but the moonlight seemed to be on their side, shining a bright cast through the dense thickets of trees and shrubs as they went off course.

 

    “So, where do demons go? And if you shrug again I swear-” but he beat her to the punch, by shrugging.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter