Surprise Five

Supermarket Surprises

Ever since they had exchanged contact details, Jungkook and Hwa-young had been in almost constant contact. He messaged her as often as he could around his busy schedule, and she always messaged him when she took a break from studying. The other members of BTS had become suspicious of his behaviour. He had put a password on his phone, worried that they would find out about her and tell him that it wasn’t a good idea to be socializing with her in case she turned out to be a crazy fan. When they questioned him about him constantly having his phone in his hand, he told them that he was just playing games on his phone.

 

His schedule kept him busy over the following weeks, as did her exams. Once her exams were over, and his schedule calmed down a little, they finally arranged to meet at the supermarket again. Jungkook had arrived first, buying ice creams for them both. He pulled his hat down low over his face, thankful for the bad lighting outside the market as it helped him keep his identity secret. She plopped down into the seat beside him, flashing him a big grin. “Long time no see, stranger.” She said. He smiled back at her, handing her the ice cream. She quickly unwrapped it and started eating. “Long time no see. How have you been?” he asked as he quickly secured his mask back onto his face.

 

“I've been good. Especially since the exams are over.” She said with a relieved sigh. He nodded in understanding. “How about you? Been busy lately?” she asked curiously. She knew that he wasn’t a normal student like her, but anytime she had questioned him about it, he had avoided the subject or clammed up on her, so she hadn’t pressed the issue. “It’s been kinda hectic lately but things are finally calming down a little. It feels nice to just relax like this.” She nodded. “You’ve sounded really stressed over the past few days.” She said, frowning at his slumped posture. She couldn’t properly make out his face, but she guessed that he looked exhausted.

 

He nodded. “Its fine though. It’s always worth it.” He said, stretching his arms above his head. She smiled, loving his positive attitude. They sat in silence, happy just to be in each other’s company. After some time, she let out a little chuckle. “What is it?” he asked, turning to face her. “Nothing. I was just thinking back to the first time we met. You must have thought I was crazy.” She said, another chuckle making its way past her lips. Jungkook joined in with her laughter. “I did wonder what you were up to, climbing into your shopping trolley in the middle of the night.”

 

She laughed, “Thank goodness you were there. If not, I would have been stuck there!” they both laughed at the memory that seemed both so long ago and like it had happened only yesterday at the same time. “I’m glad I was there. Not just because it was funny watching you clambering in that thing, but because we met as well.” Jungkook said, his ears turning slightly red at his confession. She smiled, “Me too. This supermarket holds quite a few memories for us now, doesn’t it?” she said, looking back at the old building behind them.

 

He nodded, turning back to look at the building as well. “I can’t believe it’s been so long since we met.” He said as he turned to face her. “I know. And after all this time I still don’t even know what you look like.” She said, peering beneath his cap. He panicked, pulling it lower over his eyes, and adjusting his mask to make sure his face was completely covered. He was worried that if she found out who he was, she might treat him differently. She laughed and sat back in her chair, “Don’t worry. I’m not gonna force you to take off your mask or hat.” She said reassuringly. “No pressure.” She added, giving him a warm smile.

 

Even with his worry about her reaction to him being Jeon Jungkook, a small part of him didn’t want to hide from her. A small part of him wanted her to know who he was. But he held that thought down, his worries overpowering his feelings of wanting her to know who he was. “Thanks.” Was all he said, grateful that she wasn’t pushing the subject or the fact that he wasn’t a normal student taking exams like everyone else his age. Even though he couldn’t express it fully, he was truly thankful that they had met.