3

Recovery

It has been 2 months since Heera and her family moved to Chandeol. Hee-ra visits Jungkook almost every night.They would always sit on the roof of Jungkook's home. Every night the cold breeze brushes their faces the same way it did the first night they met, when Jungkook's family invited Hee-ra's family to dinner. Hee-ra and Jungkook talked about pretty much eveything, at first it was quite awkward because the both of them didn't know how to start but after a few shy glances they talked like old best friends trying to catch up on the other one's life. Jungkook enjoyed Hee-ra's company. He thought that she was very nice and open minded, he could talk about the most private things and he wouldn't feel judged. So he finally decided to tell her about his illness. 

"Hee-ra, I'm going to tell you something I've been dying to talk about with someone. Something personal that I don't want you to say to anybody else."

"Okay, shoot."

"Only if you promise not to tell anyone. Ever."

"I promise, cross my heart and hope to die."

Jungkook took a deep breath. He was nervous. How would Hee-ra react if she found out? What if her whole perspective about Jungkook changes when he tells her he had depression? Is she going to believe him? Does she even believe depression exists? Or what if she was one of those people who thought depression was fake and stupid? Or worse, maybe those who treat people with depression like they were ethereal and romanticize the said illness? Jungkook didn't want to ruin what he and Hee-ra had. Whatever it was they had.

Jungkook took a deep breath. Courage in, anxiety out. 

"I have depression."

"What?"

"I'm mentally ill."

"Oh."

"Oh?"

Jungkook looked calm outside but inside he was dying. He started thinking about it, he probably shouldn't have said it to her. What was he thinking? He felt like throwing up, he felt like breaking down. Hee-ra wasn't responding. She didn't exactly say anything so why was he panicking?  God help Jungkook.

"You probably think I'm weird now, don't you?" he managed to choke out.

"No. Why would I? Should I be? I know it must be hard for you. I'm sorry."

"What are you sorry about?"

Hee-ra chuckled, "I don't know either, I said it out of habit."

They continued talking all night. Nothing had really changed between the two of them. Jungkook felt at ease, in that moment he grew even more fond of Hee-ra. Not once did he have anyone in his life like her, maybe except for his parents. He was thankful that he met someone like her, he wishes that their friendship continues to grow.