Broken Promise

Counting to 2016

Jaehwan has left the apartment since dawn, he loves his job too much to the point he wouldn't mind to start as early as it can be. He left me an almond milk on the table with a sweet message written on a post it on it.

"I can't wait to see you tonight, surprise me!"

I smiled ear to ear, he even drew a very cute snowman with a bow on its' head. Even though he was not there in presence, it was enough to make me blushed like a little girl.

•••

My favorite cake shop was very crowded. Tonight is new year's eve, so obviously everyone here are trying to get the best cake possible. I sighed when they left me only with Tiramisu and Fruit Cake. Both me and Jaehwan were actually have wanted to buy a Peanut Butter Red Velvet cake. But since that is people's favorite, no chance at all to got my hand on that cake.

"재환아~" i sobbed on the phone.
"What's wrong my Ken?"
"I didn't get the cake that we wanted. Is it fine if i pick something else?"
"Anything you prefer. By the way, you call me just in time!" He sounded excited.
"Why is it?"
"The producer of my upcoming musical, Tangled; he wants you to come for a close audition that will be held next week. Would you like to try it?"
"Oh my lord Lee Jaehwan! Tangled! Do you even need my answer?" I guess my pitch went higher. Jaehwan laughed so hard, he knew Rapunzel is my favorite Disney princess after Ariel. He knew I would take the chance.

After talking with Jaehwan on the phone, I passed by a donut store called Have Fun Do Nuts. I always wanted to try this artistant donut. It's expensive to buy it without any occasion, but I guess for New Year it could be a good choice.

I entered the store with large grin on my face. The smells of the freshly baked donuts makes me feel so ecstatic. My eyes glistened eyeing each every donuts in the store. There is this one donuts tower covered with dark chocolate with green tea powder and graham crackers crumbs all over the donuts. I fell in love immediately, and without thinking too long I decided to buy it.

•••

A table for two has been set. Shrimp agliolio penne, caesar salad, the donuts tower, and chili crab soup that I decided to order last minute already served on the table since an hour ago.

Jaehwan told me he would be back by 10 PM, but until 11 PM he was not home yet. He didn't pick up my call nor reply my chats. He last contacted me at 7 PM, I was between angry and worried. I walked in front of the mirror beside the television. I was all dressed up in his favorite kind of look; a mini dress with flare skirt and long sleeve with low back cut, gold glittery high heels, and a dewy make up with a dark wine lipstick color. Also, I let my hair down which most of the time I tied it into a bun.

While gazing at myself, my vision get blurry. A warm tears streaming down my cheek. I took off my heels and left it in front of the mirror. I walked towards the dinning table and blew out the vanilla scented candle that lit on the table. I cleaned up everything and put all the food inside the fridge, left the decorated table empty without food on it. I don't feel like eating anything, even the delicious donuts that I'm so excited about earlier today.

I turned off all the lights and laid down on the couch in the dark, then checked my phone. But no news from Jaehwan at all. I don't bother trying to reach him again. Suddenly a kakao talk notification popped out, it was from Gummy.

"Happy New Year Ken! We both miss you. Taekwoon asked is Jaehwan being good to you? Enjoy your night" She sent me that message along with a picture of her and Taekwoon at their apartment in Kyoto.

I didn't reply her message, I'm not sure what I should wrote. Should I tell her that Jaehwan is not here now? Or should I lie to her that I'm having a good time with Jaehwan right now?

I can feel my eyeliner smudged, I didn't bother to fix it. Tonight supposed to be our first new year's eve together. It supposed to be a romantic yet dorky night. We supposed to make a good memories out of this night.

Maybe I was too tired baring with his busy schedule. I have been patience enough keeping up with him. I know Jaehwan never meant to hurt me, but I just want to spend times together during both of our different schedules. Things was easier when we work together at the same musical, but not for now.

Always look bright and cheerful is the thing that people like the most about me, but it is a disadvantages as well. When I am sad, Jaehwan is the one that can comfort me the most. He is the one that I could tell how difficult and tiring my day is. I love how I can act like a baby and whine about everything without have to worry he will judge me. He never judged, he never asked, he listened to me all the times, and he would give me advices when I asked, only when I asked.

So many things going on on my mind. I cried and cried again, until I fell asleep because I'm too tired. All I want only Jaehwan to be at home, right now.