I'm Sorry. I'm So Sorry.

I Love Myself

“I heard you get days off.” I could hear jealousy in Yuri’s voice. 

 

“Yep.” I didn’t raise my head from the book I had been reading.

 

“How are you going to use it, Princess?” Yuri took the book from my hand.

 

I tried to grab it back, but Yuri quickly stood. “Yah! Give it back to me!”

 

“No. Before you answer my question.” I forgot Yuri could be so annoying sometimes.

 

“Don’t you have something else to do?” I put my hands on my waist.

 

She sticked her tongue out. “You know I have nothing to do until tonight. So will you answer my question now? You know the faster you answer, the faster you can read this book again.” She waved the book she had taken before in front of my face.                                                                                                                                             

 

I breathed heavily. “Why do you want to know about this anyway? Does Mommy send you to spy on me?”

 

She looked hurt. “How can you say that? You still can’t believe me, even after all this years? I’m like this because I have a favour to ask.”

 

“I don’t mean it like that. Mianhae Yuri.” I hold her hand. “What is it? The favour that you want to ask?”

 

“Well…” Yuri began. “If it’s okay with you, can you help to deliver this money to my parents? I can send it via post like always, but I want to know their condition. You know I can’t go there on my own even though I miss them like crazy.” She looked like she was about to cry.

 

I hugged her. “I could feel what you feel Yuri. Of course I will gladly do it for you. Furthermore I’m planning to go near there anyway.” I patted her back.

 

Yuri broke my hug. “What do you mean by that?”

 

“The village your parents live at is near my parents’ hometown. Do you forget about that already, huh?” I pinched her cheek.

 

I could tell that she was taken aback by my answer, but she hided it right away. “Ohh… That’s right. So… So you have decided to go there?”

 

Slowly, I nodded. “I will go tomorrow. I’m going to stop to visit my parents first, then I will go to your parents house. I will be back on Monday.” I smiled reassuringly.

 

Yuri quickly hugged me. “Thank you Suzy-ah.”

***

I went to sleep early this night, as I’m going to leave in the dawn tomorrow. My prediction was right, I had a very peaceful night. My mind which was on ease because I didn’t need to serve customers, helped to loose the muscles on my body. I had a very good sleep. I even had a dream. Not a bad one. Not this time. 

 

I dreamed of the most happiest time in my life. My childhood time.

 

“Suzy. Open the door, Dear.” I heard Omma’s voice.

 

I, who was in the middle of putting a dress into one of my dolls, looked up. “Araseo Omma.” I ran to the door.

 

Before I could reach the door, I heard several knocks. I speeded up and opened the door.

 

In my front yard, stood a boy around my age. His height was almost the same with mine, he was wearing a white T-Shirt and a blue jeans. He was holding a box wrapped in golden. I couldn’t see his face, as he kept looking to the ground.

 

“Who are you?” I asked him with curiosity.

 

“Thiss. This is for your family.” His voice was shaking. Without raising his head, he quickly handed the he was holding.

 

“What is that? Why do you give it to me? Who are you?” I asked nonstop.

 

“My family… my family moved near your house last week. That.. Can you see that blue house? That’s my house.” He pointed to one level house across the street. “Omma told me to distribute this kimbab as a greeting.”

 

“Mwo? Kimbab? Why don’t you say it earlier?” I quickly took the box and jumped happily. Kimbab is one of my favorite food. ‘Asa! I’m going to eat many tonight.’

 

“Gomawo-yo.” I said cheerfully to the boy who still didn’t want me to see his face. “What is your name?” I extended my hand.

 

However, instead of shaking my hand, the boy bowed slightly. “It is nice to meet you.” He said shyly. Then turned and run to his house.

 

This was how I first met him. 

 

I woke up with smile plastered in my lips. “How are you right now, Oppa?” I whispered quietly.

 

***

I walked slowly. Trying to digging my past memory. What I remembered about this place. How this place used to look like. And comparing it with what I saw in front of my eyes right now. 

Nothing much has changed. Green as far as the eyes can see, with only some houses in several locations. I could hear the sound of splashing water flowing down the main river. I used to drink from that river. 

 

The morning breeze blew for one more time, delivering cold air which never fail to refresh my mind. I stopped for a while. Mesmerised by the beauty of my hometown. This was the first time I stepped my foot in the place which store bittersweet memory of my childhood, since I left eight years ago.

 

The cemetery that I was heading to was the only cemetery in the area. It was quite big considering my hometown was in the rural area. The cemetery was still quiet. So far, I only met several people whose job was to take care of the tombs. There was no signal of the other visitors who come to greet they who were gone. Nothing to be surprised, as this was still so early.

 

‘Why do you have to be there so early in the morning?’ Suddenly what Yuri asked me yesterday, when I told her my schedule, rang inside my brain.

 

“Well, I still have to go to your parents’ house right? I don’t want to get caught by the daylight.” That was my answer.

 

However I knew. I knew that I had just been looking for an excuse. Probably the real reason was so I didn’t need to meet someone whom I know. Because then I wouldn’t be able to bear the shame.

 

With a deep breath, I continued walking.

 

It wasn’t hard for me to find this certain tomb. It wasn’t stand out. In fact it was similar with the other tombs around the area. But something inside me guide me to this place. The final resting place of my parents.

 

With trembling hands, I touched the tombstone which had sentences written on it. “In this place, rest in peace : Mr and Mrs Bae.”

 

I didn’t know when this tear start to emerge. “Appa… Omma… I miss you.”

 

***

 

I didn’t know how long time has passed. Or how long I had been here. Crying while hugging the tombstone of the two people whom I loved the most in this world. 

 

All that I knew was all those memories came back and hit me like tidal waves. My Omma’s patient face. My Appa’s gentle hand. The lullaby song which Appa used to sing for me. Their duet. Appa’s perfect piano performance. Omma’s melodious voice. My happy childhood time. Their smiles. Their touches. Their hugs. Their kisses. Their I-Love-You. Also their last sentences. Prior to their last breath.

 

“I’m sorry Omma.. I’m sorry Appa. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Were what I said over and over, like a broken tape.

 

***

 

When I finally left the cemetery, I looked at my wrist watch. It was 09.30.

 

***

“Hurry up. Don’t you see what time is it right now?” A guy in his early twenty waved his hand impatiently. He was tall and had milky skin.

 

“Nine thirty. It is still nine thirty in the morning.” His friend, who was shorter compared to him, answered lazily.

 

“Yah! You know that I planned to be there at nine. But, thanks to your long preparation, we are late by thirty minutes. So, if now you are not going to walk faster, I swear I will….”

 

“Alright. Alright. I understand. You can stop your nagging.” Didn’t want to make his friend’s mood even worser, the shorter guy walk faster.

 

The two then walked for some miles in silent, giving an opportunity for the shorter guy to enjoy the beautiful scenery before him. This was his first time to be here. Here, in his good friend’s hometown. Well, no, not exactly his friend’s hometown; considering the fact that his friend wasn’t born here. 

 

“Yah!!! Palli!!!” The taller guy shouted. 

 

Busy enjoying the scenery apparently made the shorter guy didn’t realise that he had been left behind. While running, he muttered quietly. “Even if we are one hour late, the tomb will still be there. It won’t move.”

 

“What did you say?” Didn’t hear properly, the taller guy asked.

 

“No. Nothing.”

 

“You know that after this I still want to visit several other places in this village. That’s why we have to be fast.” 

 

“I know. I’m sorry. But aren’t we here already? This is the place that you want to visit right?” The shorter guy pointed to the burial ground several steps in front of him.

 

The taller guy’s face grew darker. There was a hint of sadness in his voice when he answered, “Yeah. It is.”

 

The two then entered the quiet burial ground. The taller guy walked for several steps and turned. “Could you please wait here? I won’t be long.” He asked the shorter guy.

 

Understood, the shorter guy nodded. 

 

The taller guy continued walking. It was 09.45 in the morning.

 

If only he had come fifteen minutes earlier, he would have bumped onto her. The girl he has been longing to meet for several years now. His childhood friend. 

 

Also his first love.

***

 

Long time no see ;p

So here is an update. Hope you like it.

 

For God be the glory ;)