Chapter Five

Jedi Rising

 

Sehun found the address for the woman and eyed the house with some envy. The place was far from the center of Seoul and Sehun was glad to have gotten there before dusk. The sun was already sinking over the traditional Korean home and Sehun wondered how cold this place got during the winter, when the front door opened and a few animals came out, mainly two large dogs, and three cats, all furry, but one that was hairless, but wore a sweater. A woman appeared in the doorway and waved him inside silently. Sehun couldn’t discern anything from this distance expect that she had long dark hair. Sehun didn’t feel like he was in danger, but even so he was careful as he left the gate and went in.

 

As he stepped inside he noticed the faint smell of tea and saw a swishing of hair turn the corner. He followed her through the house, just barely keeping up with her quick pace.

 

“Wait are you--”

 

“Yes. I am Choi Jinri, the woman you seek,” a calm and even voice said. Well she was Choi Jinri at least.

 

He finally stopped when the same woman sat in a plush dark blue armchair and was sketching something, her eyes half closed.

 

“Hello. I’m Oh Sehun.” he bowed and she nodded.

 

“I suspected as much, please sit and wait a moment.” she said, not even looking up as she returned the bow. Sehun sat in a chair across from her and noticed the teacup and saucer, presumably for him.

 

“Suspected? Did you know I’d be here?” he asked tightly, as he poured the tea. If someone told her he was going to be here that Minho could be anywhere lying in wait.

 

She looked up and Sehun finally realized that the woman was blind, her  almond shaped eyes clouded. Besides the obvious her face was oval shaped and her wide lips were plush, soft, and full. Sehun was slightly distracted by how beautiful she was.

 

“Yes, I knew. And it wasn’t Dr. Kim betraying you, as you probably think,” she said, folding the sketch and holding it in her hands.

 

“Well then how? I was told you don’t trust phones, by Dr. Kim.” he said. She nodded.

 

“Yes. Phone are easily tapped and rarely work when needed most, despite our bounds of advancement in technology. But we’re not here in my house, to talk about this. You want to know the importance of the package you delivered for Dr. Kim.” she said. Sehun nodded and then cleared his throat.

 

“Yes,” he said clearly. This Jinri made him nervous and unsettled. Her lips quirked into a half smile and she answered him.

 

“Well, the package delivered by Dr. Kim was procured by me at the beginning of the year. Information I stole from some of the rising leaders of the anti-Jedi movement.”

 

“The what?” Sehun interrupted.

 

“Yes. There are in fact three sides to this political battle. There are those who want the Jedi policed by the general populace, Jedi who want to govern themselves for better or worse, and those who simply want the Jedi to disappear. The latter are often Jedi themselves who want to replace the Jedi with a similar group with less of a sense of justice.”

 

“Well which one does Choi Minho belong to?” Sehun asked. She sighed and took a sip.

 

“Choi Minho belongs to the second group. He think the Jedi can govern themselves, and are even above those who aren’t force sensitive. The man who leads him is still unnamed. But Minho was after private information discussed between the mayor and a Jedi.” she explained.

 

“So the package was a transcript? Of that conversation?”

 

“Yes. It is meant to be brought before the President and a half formed Jedi council. But of course that one transcript isn’t enough. Research needs to be brought in that Jedi can be helpful to the general populace, but that we can be trusted to govern ourselves. We are so different from those without the force. We are still human, but a new kind of people.”

 

“You’re a Jedi as well?”

 

“Yes. I was force sensitive for most of my life but it grew stronger and I was shown to have a particular skill in predicting the future.”

 

“Really?,” Sehun was intrigued. Seeing the future was a coveted skill amongst Jedi and not many had it.

 

“But this isn’t about me I apologize for getting sidetracked. What you need to worry about, Oh Sehun is whether you are going to help Minho or not.”

 

“No I won’t.” Sehun was sure of this. Sehun may be essentially a mercenary for hire, but it was better that Jedi have order and a purpose.

 

“Then he will consider you an enemy. He will try to find your Jedi master first and get him to tell where you might be.” she said. Sehun couldn’t tell, but he thought Jinri was focusing beyond him, thinking of matters related to Sehun--not as he sat in front of her, but Sehun some time from now.

 

“You know this for sure?” Sehun asked. Jinri nodded and her head turned so that she was looking at him. He was unnerved by the clouded gaze as it pierced through him and left him feeling vulnerable and young. Could she perceive the future--his future as he easily as he could see her in front of him?

 

“Yes, but in every outcome your Master comes out on top.”

 

Sehun nodded, having figured as much. His Master was a well-trained Jedi and a disciplined man. A violent punk like Minho didn’t really stand a chance.

 

“So how can you help me in the long run? What do I need to do?”

 

Jinri sighed and handed a half sketched portrait.

 

“This man. I know you want to avoid having a part of this. You want to see how things go and hope it comes down to a vote. So you can play your part without being involved. But you can’t avoid this Sehun. I’ve foreseen the next few days of this conflict and you are in the center no matter what you do. Your next course of action is to find this man. I don’t know his name. He evades my sight, but he isn’t invisible.” Jinri explained. Sehun didn’t look at the picture, there was time enough for that later.

 

“Is there a reason for that? For me being so special?”

 

“Does there have to be? Sometimes we all become the protagonist. It’s simply your turn now.” she said, taking a sip of the tea which Sehun forgot was even present.

 

“Fine. I’ll leave then and go find this guy. But I have one question. Earlier you called it the anti-Jedi movement. But not all the sides are anti-Jedi.” he pointed out. Jinri sighed and looked directly at Sehun, though her eyes were unfocused. It was unnerving regardless.

 

“Having sight like this is a curse Oh Sehun. Sometimes I can see the next two weeks of who will visit me and what they will ask. But I’ve seen the far distant future. When we will be long dead, our grandchildren long dead. Our great-great-great-great grandchildren long dead. The world is a bleak place for the Jedi. We are smaller in number and tricked by our adversaries. I may never know the outcome but as far as I’ve seen, we are doomed. Who’s to say that what’s happening now isn’t the cause?”

 

Sehun stared in shock at Jinri and felt his hands shake with the stress.

“What? What happens?”

 

“Go, Oh Sehun. Do your part.” she said, her voice tight and low. Sehun stood and bowed politely, stuffing the picture in his pocket.

 

“Okay. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.” he said. Jinri nodded. Sehun opened the door and the cats and dogs ran in, nearly knocking Sehun off his feet. He got on his still mutilated bike and drove to the nearest bar, since some were opening. He had a man to search for.

 

LINE BREAK

 

The first three bars yielded nothing in Sehun’s search. No one knew the man. Really what was he thinking? Go to every bar? Sehun didn’t really know what to do. He could call in another favor from Daeun and have her hack something, but what could she do? He didn’t even know who this guy was in relation to the political unrest. A political leader or a Jedi? A researcher? Who knew, really?

 

He spotted his quarry then as if his thoughts had summoned him. He was tall for sure, though Sehun thought he was a little taller. He had tan skin and dark hair. He was with another guy who was shorter and they seemed to be arguing with each other and Sehun stood up and approached them both.

 

The short one looked up at Sehun with distrust and annoyance.

 

“Hey, we’re talking here .” Sehun rolled his eyes.

 

“Yeah I see that. I need to talk to your friend here.” he said nodding to the tan one. They both looked at each other before turning to face in, their hands twitching.

 

“Yeah? What for?” the tan one asked.

 

“Nothing I can say in here. Mind coming outside?” Sehun asked. That was apparently the wrong thing to say as both reach for their waists and Sehun had a brief moment of worry. Guns or lightsabers?

 

“Hey! No fighting in my bar!” a man barked. He was a tall and beefy man with a completely bald head. He looked ready to have a fit at the idea of people in his bar, fighting so Sehun took a step back and looked at the tall one meaningfully.

 

“I really do need to talk to you. It’s important,” he said. The two men glanced at each other before looking back at Sehun and followed him out.

 

Baekhyun hated to admit it but the minute the blond guy even faced him, he was a bit concerned. It was hard to explain, but being around other Jedi or a force sensitive gave one an idea of how strong they were in the force. Baekhyun knew that was how Jongin sensed him at the hotel and that was how he knew the tall blond would most definitely give him a run for his money. He was probably Jongin’s age and despite his youth Baekhyun had the feeling that he was probably more experienced. His hands looks rough and Baekhyun spotted a few old burn scars. No doubt from training with his lightsaber.

 

Jongin felt it too since he took a step back and edged closer to Baekhyun. Baekhyun glared at the Jedi before him.

 

“What do you want with him?”

 

The man took a deep breath and shrugged.

 

“Honestly, I don’t know. The past day has been more trouble than I’ve really wanted and I just want to get through this.” he sighed, placing his hands on his waist. Baekhyun spotted the lightsaber on the holster of his waist.

 

One on one might be an even fight, but if Jongin could think on his feet and help out, it might just swing in their favor...unless of course he had comrades. Baekhyun eyed the blond before narrowing his eyes.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“Oh Sehun. Jedi. But I’m sure you knew that. Like I know both of you are Jedi.” Sehun replied. Baekhyun nodded.

 

“Of course you do. I’m Byun Baekhyun. My cute young friend here is Jongin. He’s still has a lot to learn, but yeah he’s a Jedi.” Baekhyun said. Jongin nudged Baekhyun with his elbow, clearly haven taken offense, but Baekhyun disregarded it.

 

“Okay, we know who the other person is now. The reason I approached you is complicated,” Sehun said. He recounted the last three days to the pair, leaving out what wasn’t important or too personal.

 

“So some woman told you to find Jongin? And that’s it?”

 

“I’m assuming that our paths are meant to intersect. She said that he evaded her vision, but that he wasn’t invisible. Whatever that meant.” he said. Baekhyun pouted.

 

“Jongin and I are trying to find his brother. He’s missing and I happen to gain from helping him be found. You’re welcome to join us.” he sniffed imperiously and Sehun cocked his hip to the side and crossed his arms.

 

“Alright, Princess. You’ve got a partnership. What’s first?”

 

Baekhyun glanced at Jongin and looked thoughtful for a moment.

 

“Breaking and entering.” he said with an impish grin.

 


 
Jongin had never considered him a paragon of good virtue as he'd spent his childhood making his parents' lives difficult and not appreciating his brother. And there was that awful stage where he stole things from cornerstores and occassionally vandalized. It was safe to say that he was no saint.
 
But he wasn't a criminal at heart either. He'd never thought he'd find himself with gloves on and fiddling with a lock. 
 
"Jongin you said you could pick a lock!" Baekhyun hissed, peaking around the corner while Sehun stood by uselessly.
 
"I can, this one is just really hard! You're not even doing anything." Jongin pointed out angrily. 
 
"Somebody has to watch our asses."
 
"Forget this, move." Sehun said nudging Jongin aside. Instead of getting the lockpick from Jongin, he held his hand over the lock and concentrated for several long moments. The steady metallic clicks filled the silence before the lock gave and Sehun nodded.
 
"Okay let's keep this moving. I'm sure the governor wouldn't appreciate us breaking into his office." Baekhyun scoffed as he waltzed into the room.
 
"I pay my taxes. He'll live." Baekhyun grumbled, and went into the office, his flashlight illuminating the space with a pale yellow light. 
 
"So what are we looking for aside from the original transcript?" Jongin asked, turning on his own flashlight.
 
"Anything that'll hint to his position on the Jedi. I'd rather we get the original copies, so we'll have to copy them and take the original with us." Baekhyun explained.
 
"You don't strike me as the kind of guy to casually break into houses," Sehun said as he opened up file drawers. Baekhyun scanned the desk with a sharp eye and Jongin attempted to open the computer. Baekhyun glanced over his shoulder at Sehun and pursed his lips.
 
"My mentor is part of the resistance. She was going to take me with her to a conference, but my mom got sick and I had to take on a few jobs. She's fine Now, but I lost my window. Plus, she admits that it's really risky, you know stealing from political figures and all," Baekhyun remarked. Jongin cracked a smile when he force entered the computer, but he frowned at Baekhyun's obvious disappointment.
 
"You want to steal from people?"
 
"Not everyone in a position of power is really looking out for us. For instance, Governor Jung has embezzled about one hundred thousand won from this area alone. He's greedy and I don't trust him. But if the mayor sent off his report we need to destroy it. Focus on an original copy." Baekhyun said. Sehun remained silent but continued to search diligently.
 
"I'm so confused. Are we the bad guys here?"
 
"Jongin shut up and search the computer!" 
 
"I did!. I found pictures of his wife, more evidence of him stealing money and emails to the mayor telling him he'd send him copies of the files next week. Probably the files we need. But no files. He's probably locked them away on a hard disk."
 
Sehun sighed and ran a hand through his hair.
 
"Great. These files were a good idea, but we didn't have enough information. So before we get caught we should leave," Sehun said, his words clipped in his irritation.
 
Baekhyun stayed still while the other two began to leave.
 
"Wait, do you guys hear that?" Baekhyun said. The other two paused to listen and Jongin shrugged, but Sehun waited longer.
 
"I think so. Is that...buzzing? Humming?" Baekhyun nodded before dropping to the floor and pressing his ear to the ground. The sound was much louder and he followed it until he was near the bookcase. Baekhyun sat up on his knees and pressed his hand against the ground.
 
"I think there's a quartz safe under here." Jongin perked up and went to Baekhyun's side. Sehun looked anxiously at the door.
 
"A quartz safe? My dad has one of these. They're damn near impossible to open, but if you know the trick they can be opened. But it takes a while. Wanna take it with us?"
 
Sehun shook his head and turned back to look at the two who were on the ground, looking intrigued.
 
"No, if we take the whole thing it'll be obvious someone broke in. If we can get it open that's be best." Sehun ssaid. Baekhyun took Sehun's words as an invitation and held his hand over the floorboards and the floor peeled itself up. Baekhyun put his hands in the space under it and pulled the safe out.
 
The safe was shaped like a rectangle and it had a latch rather than a small door, on one of the ends. The whole thing was a pale green and the humming was now loud enough to hear in the whole room. Jongin took it from Baekhyun witha  a small smirk and tapped the latch.
 
"Okay, so this part here, is obviously how you get in, right?" he asked Baekhyun who nodded as if Jongin was daft. Jongin shook his head.
 
"Wrong. It's a fake latch. If you try to force it open it creates a loud screeching noise. But the later models come with a remote that vibrates so you know someone is sneaking in. But it's easy enough to find where the real door is," Jongin explained, his fingers roaming the surface of the safe. He suddenly stopped and pressed in and a square opened up in a random spot of the safe and revealed rolled up papers and a small, flat box.
 
"A secret door? How do you know so much about these things? They haven't even been released to the public yet. Only elite and  rich own them."
 
"My brother designed and built the prototype. I remember watching him slave over what to choose as the power core. And he saw me making my first lightsaber and he knew." Jongin had a fond smile on his face as he recalled his brother and Baekhyun felt sorry for the kid. He just wanted his brother back. And here he was, breaking into the office of a notable politician to do so. Baekhyun understood that kind of devotion and placed a hand on Jongin's shoulder and giving him a meaningful look.
 
"It's good work. Very clever. Do you see anything in there?"
 
Jongin pulled out the box and opened it and the grimace and disguted groan on his face made Baekhyun lean over to look. He made a face and shook his head.
 
"What, what's wrong?" Sehun asked urgently. Baekhyun turned to Sehun, and narrowed his eyes.
 
"He's a goddamn depraved ert that's what. Pictures of , unconscious women. And they look like they've been slapped around. Disgusting. Glad I voted for the other guy." Sehun looked ill and Jongin closed the box angrily.
 
"I can't believe this. Can we leak this and just let him fry?"
 
"Not until we get the transcript. Ugh, I hope this guy has something, anything useful, or I've seen his toruture for nothing." Baekhyun retched and dug around in the safe looking at the paper with a critical eye. Sehun saw light roving the hallways and closed the door and cursed.
 
", grab whatever you haven't checked yet and be ready to fight we've got company."
 
Baekhyun snatched up the papers while Jongin closed the safe and thossed it back inside, making sure to grab the box as well.
 
Baekhyun flicked his hand and the floorboardds fitted back into place. Sehun was about to open the door when it slammed open and the governor himself crashed into the room with a young and buxom woman who clung to him earnestly. She shrieked when she noticed the trio and the governor turned but Sehun waved his hand, a bead of sweat rolling down his temple.
 
"There is no one in the room except you two," he said. The couple parroted it back and Sehun gestured for the others to slip out of the room and they all did so.
 
They ran down the hallway and once they hit the back parking lot Jongin leaned heavily on his knees panting.
 
"I hate the governor," he proclaimed fiercely and Sehun nodded. Baekhyun looked back up at the building though and his brow furrowed and his hands closed into fists. 
 
"Is he going to hurt her? We saw those pictures in his safe. What if he hits her and adds to his sick collection?" Baekhyun fretted. Sehun sighed and rubbed his eyes with the heel of his hands.
 
"It's messed up, but we can't do anything now. Let's just hope he likes her more than he liked the others," Sehun said, sitting atop his motorcycle. Jongin was already sliding into his car and Baekhyun practically shook with rage as he continued to look at the building.
 
"I hope not," he murmured as he walked away.