Chapter Four

Jedi Rising

Sehun looked at the clear blue sky over Seoul and sighed. His leg was fine and he had no problems walking on it, but his shame from being so soundly beaten disturbed him. He’d been a Jedi for a measly three years, but he thought that in all that time he wouldn't have been so thoroughly beaten. It was embarrassing, but more than that he apparently had a target on his back because of the jobs he took up. What a mess. Sehun went to his computer and set up a video chat. He called Daeun, hoping she might have some idea on what was happening so Sehun could stay out of it.

 

They’d gone to school together, but Daeun had chose to be an engineer, but she was equally talented at computers. She spent most of her time getting into databases that were restricted and Sehun knew that if anyone could find this guy, it’d be her.

 

She answered the call and Sehun raised an eyebrow. She had soot all over her face and her hair was messy and tattered.

 

“This better be important Sehun.” she growled, trying to fix her hair, and wiping the soot from her face.

 

“Daeun it’s good to see you, but you look--”

 

“I know, I look terrible but let’s ignore that. Why did you call me, when you know I’m working.”

 

“I was wondering if you know anything about people getting attacked recently. Oh, actually. A name. Minho.” Daeun raised an eyebrow and tilted her head. She began typing on her computer and purse her lips.

 

“You know Sehun, when you ask me for information on people it helps to have a last name, description. Who is he, some big wig?” she asked, typing. Sehun shook his head.

 

“No, he’s a Jedi. A powerful one.” Daeun paused and looked at Sehun.

 

“A Jedi? You never ask about Jedi. What the heck happened?”

 

“An altercation at a bar. He kicked my too. He knew who I was, told me to watch my six.” Sehun shared. Daeun bit her lip and began typing furiously.

 

“A Jedi, huh? If he was taught by a certified Master he should be in the registry. Not that that would help. You aren’t in it either so don’t get too disappointed if nothing comes up.” she said.

 

Sehun watched silently as Daeun squinted at her computer. After a while she sighed and grabbed her glasses and shoved them on her face. She kept going and Sehun sighed heavily.

 

She glanced at him and smirked. “Not as fun as it is in the movies, right? Just a minute. I’m in the database. What’s he looks like?”

 

“Big eyes. A round mouth? I don’t know he was probably really handsome in school.”

 

She rolled her eyes and roved over her screen.

 

“This him?” A picture appeared and Sehun eyed it before nodding.

 

“Yeah that’s him. Bastard. I’m positive he’s the one who keyed my bike too.” Daeun raised her eyebrows.

 

“What do you wanna know?”

 

“Whatever you can give me.” he said. She nodded.

 

“He’s Choi Minho. Twenty-four years old. He completed three levels of Jedi training at an academy before he dropped out for, `personal reasons’.” she made quotations and rolled her eyes.

 

“What, why the sarcasm?”

 

“Well it says personal reasons, but his demerit record is as long as your leg. Stealing, vandalism, blackmail, cheating. If it could get you in trouble he did it. But he never got anything more than a detention. Some of this stuff should’ve been expulsion. Weird. Well now that I’ve got a name, I should be able to find out more. Give me five more minutes.” she said, cracking her knuckles. Sehun pulled up some music and listened to that while he waited.

 

Daeun nodded and looked at Sehun to get his full attention again.

 

“Okay, so Minho is some kind of grunt for an underground boss. The police have a file on him because they arrested him a few times, but he escaped, using `the force’.” she said wiggling her fingers. Sehun rolled his eyes. Daeun treated the force like it was some kind of ancient superstition, but she’d seen him use it multiple times.

 

“Really? What was he arrested for?”

 

“Assault. Apparently he got into a bunch of fights when he dropped out, but then suddenly he was hot . And he started dropping names, but the names aren’t in this file. Police must not want anyone to know. But he’s got friends in high places, that’s obvious.” she raised an eyebrow and Sehun leaned back groaning in annoyance.

 

“So besides his full name and school record, I’ve got nothing? Great.”

 

“If you want more, do it the old fashioned way. Ask around in seedy bars. Ask the police. But I can’t help you.” she said, shrugging. Sehun nodded.

 

“Thanks anyway, though. Be careful.”

 

“Sure, same to you. Bye,” the connection cut and Sehun stared at his reflection in the computer monitor.

 

Sehun closed the laptop and looked at the time. Most bars wouldn’t be open, but he didn’t want to go to the police. Some of the jobs he took part in were illegal, and police didn’t like Jedi, thinking that they were undermining their authority. So Sehun could only call another favor in and hope that his snooping could give him some answers.

 

He called up his friend Donghae and waited patiently.

 

“What’s up Sehun?”

 

“I’ve got to ask you about someone, a Jedi.” Sehun began, not even returning the greeting. There was a hum.

 

“And you think I know them?”

 

“You used to be a cop, right? Does the name Choi Minho ring any bells?”

 

Donghae sighed.

 

“Kid, whatever trouble you’re in get out of it quick.”

 

“I’d love to, but I have no idea why he attacked or what’s going on.” Sehun remarked blandly going to make a sandwich. He might as well be full.

 

“Minho hardly ever needs a reason. So I’m guessing that it wasn’t personal?”

 

“No, he said I was on the wrong side and something about his boss not liking it. And he keyed my bike what a bastard.” Sehun grumbled, putting the bread in the toaster and slicing tomatoes.

 

“Sehun he works for some underground boss who apparently is a powerful force user. Before I left the force he was known as a lieutenant for him. I wouldn’t be so flippant.”

 

“If he’s so strong, why bother with me? I do small time work. I keep my head down. What more do I have to do to be left alone?” Sehun complained as he sliced some cheese. “Where’s the guacamole?” he murmured.

 

“Well if his leader is as powerful as people say he is, he probably knows who trained you. That guy made a lot of enemies?”

 

“Who, Master? He’s a nice guy.”

 

“He’s got power. And a moral compass. Anybody who wants to ruin the peace would hate him.” Donghae said. Sehun continued making his sandwich but slower this time.

 

“Wait, would this mob boss have anything to do with all these political figures resigning? Like some kind of movement? I noticed a lot of them were for Jedi being instated as a lawful force.”

 

“Maybe? This guy hasn’t technically revealed himself. He could be a political figure for all the police or any of us know.” Donghae said. Sehun sighed.

 

“This whole Jedi thing is more stressful than I hoped for.”

 

“Yeah well we still don’t know too much about it. But someone’s working on it I’m sure.” Donghae laughed. Sehun put his sandwich together and drummed his fingers on the counter.

 

“Back to Minho though. He said I was delivering messages to the wrong person and that I was a liability. So I think I’m gonna pay a former client a visit. Just to be clear, if I go against this guy Minho I’m not doing anything evil right?”

 

Donghae laughed darkly and Sehun paused, standing up straight as he picked up his sandwich.

 

“Believe me, if Minho’s involved, it’s evil.”

 


 

Sehun strolled into the modest office building dressed to the fives, rather than the nines and approached the secretary with confident ease.

 

“Hello ma’am could you show me to the office of Dr. Kim? I have to see him urgently, though I didn’t make an appointment.” he said. The woman looked rather dazzled for a moment before clearing and typing on her computer quickly.

 

“He’s in a meeting right now, but it should be over in ten minutes though. Could you wait until then?”

Sehun nodded with a wide smile.

 

“That’s fine. I don’t suppose you could tell me where Dr. Kim’s area of expertise is? I want to brush up before we talk. It’s been a while.” Sehun said. The secretary nodded and brushed her hair behind her ear shyly.

 

“Dr. Kim is an astrophysicist. His focus was on black holes, until six years ago. But now he wants to turn his attention to the origins of `the force’,” she said, putting quotations around the word. Sehun raised an eyebrow.

 

“You don’t believe in it?”

 

“Well, not completely. I mean I’ve seen it be used, but more force users say it worked once they believed. Which sounds so, unscientific. And there are some who are `force sensitive’ but even when they believe they only ever show a certain amount. There’s not enough research yet, but it is fascinating.” she gushed, her cheeks flushing. Sehun raised his other eyebrow and she ducked her head, typing something into the computer.

 

“Well then. You certainly know a lot.”

 

“That’s good. Maybe all these years of college will mean something. I’m also going to be an astrophysicist, but my focus is more towards dark energy and matter. Dr. Kim was really kind to give me this job.” she said. Sehun nodded and sat down in a chair close to her desk.

 

“So he’s force sensitive?”

 

“Dr. Kim? No he’s not. But he feels like the force can benefit the country, maybe the world. He’s been trying to get some of the local politicians to see it, but they resigned and he has to start all over.” she explained. Sehun nodded, glad that he was on the right track.

 

“Where does he think it originated? The first recorded force sensitive was found in Gaza. Maybe it originates there?” the girl shook her head.

 

“Dr. Kim doesn’t think so. He said that it’s like gravity; it’s everywhere and doesn’t have an origin, but it may be stronger in other places.” she explained. Sehun nodded. It was somewhat fascinating.

“What if I told you I use the force?” he asked. The girl narrowed her eyes and turned her head to side eye him.

 

“Yeah? Prove it!” she demanded. Sehun lifted his hand and made the potted plant next to her lift about a foot in the air.

 

“Woah. Okay. Is it true you can make people do things with a command?”

 

“Yes, but I only use it if the situation really calls for it.”

 

“Well, for my scientific inquiry it matters.” she said eagerly. Sehun cupped his chin, letting each finger on his left hand curl.

 

“You’re going to call your mother and tell her you love her.”

 

“I’m going to call my mother and tell her I love her.” she repeated and picked up the phone. “Mom? I love you.” and she hung up. When she was done she looked up at Sehun and her eyes sparkled.

 

“Fascinating.”

 

“I think so too,” he laughed.

 

“What’s the trigger? How do you do it?”

 

“A hand gesture works. But some who are really good can do it without even making eye contact. It’s best for it it be a small gesture or a casual one. If your target notices it’s harder to do it.” he explained. She nodded.

 

“Could you try again?”

 

“Sure.” Sehun did the same gesture. “You’re going to stand up and move that potted plant to the corner behind you.”

 

She blinked quickly, her eyes glazing a bit before she seemed to snap out of it.

 

“Did I do it?”

 

“Yes! Good job,” Sehun praised. She nodded and tapped her chin.

 

“I wonder if you have to reach a certain tone when speaking to achieve the same effect. What’s the usual rate of success?” she pressed. Sehun was getting a little overwhelmed but he wanted to pass the time.

 

“It tends to work on people who are fairly young and unaware. But my Master said it works best on the weak minded.”

 

“Hey!” she interjected.

 

“To be fair you fought it off. If you were really weak minded it would have worked the second time.” he pointed out. She nodded but looked put out. The door down the hall opened and a man came out and said goodbye to several men and women who were leaving.

 

“Thank you, it was nice to speak with you today. Please email or call my office with any questions.” he said.

 

“Thank you for entertaining our presence Dr. Kim,” a woman bowed deeply and he returned the gesture. They all filed out and the doctor turned to Sehun and Sehun wondered why he bothered being a doctor. He could’ve been a model maybe. He had a mischievous gleam in his eyes.

 

“Oh? It appears I have a guest! Chaeyoung I hope you kept him suitably busy?”

 

“Oh yes! He wanted to speak with you.”

 

The doctor nodded and gestured for Sehun to follow him. Once in the office Sehun took in the surroundings. The last job he’s completed was for Dr. Kim but he’d picked up the package around back and went to the drop off point. The office was decorated nicely with neutral colors, but it wasn’t bland at all. Dr. Kim sat behind his desk and Sehun sat in front of it.

 

“So, what is it that you need?” Dr. Kim asked. Sehun leaned forward.

 

“I need to ask you about the package you had me deliver four days ago,” he said. Dr. Kim raised an eyebrow and smiled, linking his fingers together.

“Indeed! You’ll be disappointed to know that I can’t tell you. Personal and professional reasons.” he explained, a bland smile on his face.

 

“You will tell me what I need to know,” Sehun commanded, cupping his chin. The doctor shook his head.

 

“Oh don’t try the mind tricks. The force is my specialty. I can’t tell you. There are important political and social advancements riding on this. The contents must remain safe until they can be made public.”

 

“Dr. Kim I’m not going to tell anyone what’s in it, but I need to know. I was attacked because of the contents and I need to know more to stay safe.” Sehun insisted. Dr. Kim raised his hands out palm up and sighed.

 

“There’s nothing I can do. I’ve been sworn to secrecy and I am a man of my word.” he said. His smile was gone and now he looked incredibly serious, but Sehun wasn’t giving up.

 

“Dr. Kim I swear to you on my title as a Jedi that I won’t divulge this information, but I need to know, because it seems that I’m a target and I’d like to know why.”

 

Dr. Kim sighed heavily and leaned back, looking worn and old.

 

“I can’t tell you, but perhaps I can lead you to the person who can solve your problem. A Jedi attacked you, correct?”

 

“Yeah how’d you--”

 

“Because our enemy is predictable, they’re cowards even. But someone else can help you. Her name is Choi Jinri and she’s a close friend of mine. I can give you her address and you’ll have to visit her. She doesn’t like using phones and such. She doesn’t trust them.”

 

Sehun didn’t want to run around the city, but who knew when Minho would attack next?

 

“Sure, doc. Lay it on me.” Sehun said, and the doctor frowned and shook his head.

“Charming. She’ll be there this evening, since that’s when she stays in to do her knitting.”

 

“Knitting. Wow.” The doctor ignored the comment and got paper and pen and wrote down an address.

 

“Here. Now get out, I have work.” he said. Sehun bowed when he left and when he walked by the front desk he waved at Chaeyoung, who nodded back and waved.

 

And so the plot continues.