Someday

JJP Drabbles 2016

song: Someday - Nina

Mark tried to hold back himself from launching towards the couple in front of their line. They were standing a mere five inches away from them, but Mark felt like they were a thousand miles apart. He wanted to talk to them, to see their faces, to ask them how happy they are. But Mark felt like it was a desperate move if he does that so he just stayed still and waited for them to notice him. However, by the way they cling onto each other, noticing him would take a little too long. He wants to wait for another minute or two, but Mark isn't that patient to hold on. He held his breath and put a smile on his face. It hurts quite literally (because of the smiles he gives his girlfriend), and somehow, it hurts metaphorically.

"Jinyoung," he called the man smiling brightly to the other. Mark's fists are balled tightly on his sides, trying to hold back the feelings that were about to burst anytime. The line was moving slowly, opposite to how his heart was racing. Jinyoung turned around. The moment Jinyoung looked at him, the bright smile he had was suddenly gone, replaced by a frown that forced creased lines on his forehead.

"Mark, what are you doing here?" Jinyoung asked. Mark's wife held onto him and offered her hand for a shake, which Jinyoung refused not so politely. She retrieved her hand shyly, embarrassed by the scene.

"We'll be watching this movie too," Mark replied and followed with a question who Jinyoung is with.

"You still love romantic thrillers," Jinyoung said. Mark's gears in mind started to run again as he reminisced the days he and Jinyoung cuddle on their sofa in the living room while watching romantic films that also brings terror to one's humanity. They decided on that genre because Jinyoung loves those cheesy romantic movies, and Mark loves the thrill.

Jinyoung ignored Mark's question. In his mind, it isn't Mark's business to know who he is with. They're not related by any means now. Not best friend, not boyfriend, especially not a husband. Mark had wanted to keep the friendship, but Jinyoung cannot take the pain. He had sacrificed a lot for Mark and their relationship, but in the end, he'll still be left alone. He felt it was unfair. Mark was selfish. He wanted everything to himself. He wanted a normal life, a normal family. He wanted a life with a wife and kids. Jinyoung couldn't give that and Mark knows that. And that was the reason they broke up and left to their own paths.

Mark cheated on him with his now-wife. He had wanted kids, but until now they were not blessed to have one. They think it's still not time. But Jinyoung would like to think it was karma for everything Mark has done to him. How he felt when Mark hurt him, Mark will also have to feel it, double it, triple it.

The anger built up within Jinyoung's system again. He trembles and held onto his date. He could not be within the same area as the person he once loved. Because he has to convince himself again that he feels nothing anymore, and that he had once loved Jaebum, but not anymore. He doesn't want to be unfair to Jaebum, his date, and to himself. He doesn't want to lie again, because he doesn't want to be a jerk like Mark is. Just when Jinyoung thought he had finally moved on, Mark has to appear in front of him again.

"You never unloved him, did you?" It hurts Jinyoung that Jaebum was smiling to him while saying that. He cannot lie to him. He doesn't really want to. Maybe he was just too attached to Mark. He felt very comfortable with him before. Maybe it wasn't love anymore. So he shook his head and smiled to Jaebum.

"He always had other people in mind. He loved a girl group member so much, we practically talk about this girl group everyday. It was all about them. I figured he was biual, because he really wants to get married to a woman. He doesn't care about what I feel. After all these times, I think he just saw me as a best friend all the time, we were just too attached. Love? I never unloved him because I don't even know if I loved him as someone more than a best friend. Attachments . He makes me angry almost everyday, and yet I hear a sorry from him since never. He thanked me all the time, because I talk to him about the girl group he loves so much. I was a best friend, a spazz buddy, but never a boyfriend to him. Then I'll treat him like that too. Our memories of being a couple will just remain as memories. I love him, for sure, but I'm never in love with him. I don't know its difference before, but now I know, because you came. I love him, but I am in love with you. He wants to spend the rest of his days with a beautiful wife and his kids, I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"Are you proposing to me?" Jaebum's voice faded.

"No, but I'm trying to put into words what you make me feel. He treated me like before. You treated me like a precious diamond. And it's what I had always craved for. To be seen as someone worthy of everything. And that was how much you made me feel. He never saw my worth, but you did. He thought there wouldn't be someone else in my life, but you came and we proved him wrong. I love you, and I'm in love with you. I want to spend the remaining 90 plus years of my life together with you,"

"You really sound like you're proposing to me."

"Why do I have to propose to you? You should be the one proposing to me." Jaebum crushed Jinyoung in a hug and smiled at him very brightly. He pulled away before engaging in another embrace. Jinyoung felt Jaebum slowly going down until one of his knees reached the floor. Jaebum pulled a small box from his coat and smiled at the gaping Jinyoung.

"I thought my plan will be ruined because of you first proposing to me, but you didn't. They say only opposites attract, but we're almost one and the same. Instead of being opposites, you are my complementary side. Like the answer on a fill in the blanks question, a to my story, a chorus of a song, a semicolon to Java programs, and tags on HTML files. You complete me, I complete you. Like what you said, I also want to spend the rest of my days with you, so Park Jinyoung, will you marry me?"