4 Cannonball

"O" (A Rabin story told in the songs of Damien Rice)

AN: This is rushed and unedited (and short). Hopefully I'll update more frequently soon. Thanks to anyone still reading!

 

“It's been a while.”

 

“Yeah, it has, hasn't it?”

 

Hongbin is shifting on his bar stool, worried about the distance between him and Wonsik.

 

It had been a while. A long while. Normally, when either boy began dating someone they might disappear for a week or two. You know, the honeymoon phase and all. Hongbin is more guilty of this than Wonsik. When he started dating that photographer he met at the coffee shop he didn't even look at his phone for weeks.

 

But this time it's Wonsik. It's been almost three months since the two have gotten together for a drink after work. Sure, some of the blame could be placed on Hongbin's psuedo-rejection. Let's be honest, it was a full on rejection. Of course Wonsik isn't going to want to talk and act like things never happened right away.

 

At first Hongbin was fine with it. Convinced himself he was fine with it. He knows there's no way he could put up with Wonsik in a relationship. That would have just been... horrible! Constantly waking up to no covers, being forced to watch scary movies so Wonsik won't get too scared, receiving sappy love letters at random? Horrible.

 

That doesn't mean he didn't want anything to do with Wonsik, though. He's his best friend, after all. So Hongbin gave him a grieving week. In that grieving week, though, Wonsik met someone. So that grieving week began the start of Wonsik's honeymoon phase with his new boyfriend.

 

It's been a long honeymoon.

 

“Sorry, I feel like time is just racing past us,” Wonsik says, tapping the bar for refills. “It doesn't help that we haven't been working as much together either, has it?”

 

“Yeah, who's fault is that?” Hongbin tries to make his question sound like a joke rather than an accusation.

 

“I know I know, but I've been getting more studio time so I need to really focus on that. Hakyeon has really helped get my foot in the door.” Even the name brings a smile to Wonsik's face.

 

Hongbin resists the urge to roll his eyes. “Well, that's good then. It's not like you'll stay at the restaurant forever.”

 

“You either! How did your exhibit go the other day?”

 

“You mean two weeks ago?”

 

“Ah, sorry, yeah. We meant to stop by, but Hakyeon had this thing...”

 

“It's fine. It was a pretty short showing anyway. There will be others,” Hongbin offers him a smile.

 

It kills him to see Wonsik's smile dim.

 

“Well I heard about it from Jaehwan and Taekwoon hyung. They said it was really good. You'll have to show me the photos sometime.”

 

“Sure!” Hongbin doesn't mean for it to come out so excited, but honestly, he was super disappointed that Wonsik never showed up to his first photography exhibition. It had been a short showing, a little further of a walk from his apartment, but a few months ago and he would have been there early and stayed late.

 

But now he has Hakyeon.

 

“So... how are things going with you and your new boyfriend?” Hongbin tries to ask nonchalantly.

 

Wonsik's smile brightens again, “Hakyeon? He's hardly a new boyfriend by now, don't you think?”

 

New to me, Hongbin thinks. He's met him maybe once? Twice? Taekwoon says they're a very good match, but Hongbin thinks he should be the judge of that. He's his best friend after all...

 

“How long have you guys been--”

 

“It's been two months and three weeks. That's almost three months. That's a fourth of a year. Pretty crazy, right?” Wonsik's eyes even look a little more alive than usual.

 

“Pretty crazy...” Hongin says into his glass. He's happy for Wonsik, but he's just not sure about his Hakyeon guy. What's his catch? What does he want with Wonsik? Most of the guys he dates are just all wrong for the boy, so what's to say this Hakyeon isn't wrong for him either?

 

“He's been so supportive in my writing,” Wonsik goes on, “it's helpful he's performed with a lot of the music majors above me. He's really talking up my work, but he says it speaks for itself.”

 

Hongbin smiles, but he can tell Wonsik isn't buying it.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“No, tell me, what?”

 

“Nothing, nothing! I just don't know about this guy is all.”

 

“Oh come on. You never know about any of the guys I date.”

 

“And who's been right so far?”

 

“Hakyeon is different.”

 

Hongbin would continue the banter, but there's something about the tone in Wonsik's voice that stops him. It's firm, knowing.

 

“I guess I just haven't had the chance to meet him yet, is all.”

 

“Really? Where have you been hiding then? We go out all the time!” Wonsik finishes his beer, but instead of getting another one he lays bills on the table. Hongbin's heart speeds.

 

“Just working I guess...” Hongbin mutters, then a little louder, “let me buy the next round.”

 

“Ah, I shouldn't. I'm meeting Hakyeon tomorrow morning, he's checking out this practice space across town.” Wonsik pulls his jacket on and stands to face Hongbin.

 

He's reaching in and Hongbin closes his eyes. He's not sure why, but he feels his lips reach out to Wonsik. But instead his face is met with nothing, Wonsik's arms are wrapped around him tightly. His face is nestled in the crook of Wonsik's neck.

 

“We should do this again, sooner this time.” Wonsik pulls back, but catches Hongbin's confusion. “Are you okay, Bin-ah?”

 

Wonsik is waiting for Hongbin to let him leave. He doesn't really want to know if Hongbin is okay. Why would he care, he has Hakyeon now. Hongbin had his chance, not that he wanted his chance. He's just... not used to not seeing Wonsik for so long. They're best friends, after all.

 

“I'm fine. I think I'll have another and head out, too. I have an early shift.” It's truly a battle for Hongbin to hold in his thoughts sometimes, but he knows he's blown his chance.

 

“I'll see you during shift change at least!” Wonsik's smile is back on his face. He pulls out his phone and Hongbin notices a few missed messages, “I'll see you later!”

 

Hongbin lifts his hand, but Wonsik never turns around to see him wave goodbye.

 

Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth

 

Still a little it of you laced with my doubt

 

Still a little hard to say what's going on...

 

...Still a little bit of your words I long to hear

 

You step a little closer to me

 

So close that I can't see what's going on...

 

So it's not hard to fall

 

When you float like a Cannonball.”

 

Cannonball, Damien Rice