1. Delicate

"O" (A Rabin story told in the songs of Damien Rice)

Track 1. Delicate

 

Hongbin and Wonsik have been friends since the sixth grade. Wonsik's intimidating stare always helped get Hongbin's sharp mouth out of trouble. Until their second year in high school when everyone found out Wonsik's bark was much much worse than his bite. They also found out Hongbin's bite was worse than his bark. Which is pretty bad to begin with.

 

After high school when Hongbin didn't get into the same art school as Wonsik the older boy turned down his scholarship to go to the same community college as Hongbin. He reasoned with Jaehwan that he can get his writing certificate through any college. It's his skills that will get him noticed, not his schooling background, right? And it's more convenient this way, Hongbin's apartment is on Wonsik's way to campus.

 

When Wonsik landed a job as a bartender at a restaurant in the city it was only natural that he get Hongbin a job at the same restaurant. There's no way Hongbin could be a bartender, though. But a server position is right down his alley. Less small things to drop and more heavier things to strengthen his wrists. Not that his wrists are weak...

 

Main point: Wonsik and Hongbin are very good friends.

 

So when Hongbin started dating a guy from his photoshop class, Wonsik knew this 'photoshop guru' was all wrong for his friend. Clingy, sappy, totally desperate for Hongbin's love. Hongbin hates guys like that. Someone constantly messaging him, telling him how much they miss him.

 

Once Hongbin heard that Wonsik started dating a bartender from the restaurant down the street he knew it wouldn't last. He was aggressive, pushy, but always the one to blow off Wonsik's calls. Wonsik always falls for guys like that. Someone that takes Wonsik for granted.

 

Needless to say neither boy has found their Mr. Right, yet. And although one could blame the personalized turn-offs listed above, there is one big reason for Hongbin and one big reason for Wonsik that definitely deters any suitors away.

 

Which is funny, because Hongbin's big reason is clingy and sappy. Wonsik's reason, aggressive and pushy. But they're also each other's best friends. And it's completely different when you're best friend is clingy or pushy.

 

“So the tattoo artist didn't work out? Big surprise.” Hongbin says, trying to make conversation while Wonsik fills his drink order.

 

Wonsik walks by, placing a few bottles of beer on Hongbin's tray, “what do you mean 'big surprise'? We just didn't have a lot in common, that's all.”

 

Hongbin shrugs, “That's what I'm saying, he wasn't your type.”

 

“You always say guys I date aren't my type.” Wonsik stops mid shake on Hongbin's last drink.

 

“Just be quiet and finish my drink order.”

 

Wonsik rolls his eyes and finishes the last drink on Hongbin's order. He takes Hongbin's ticket and inputs the drinks on the bartender's tab. The receipt prints and he hands the bill to Hongbin, “I'll see you after work?”

 

“Yeah yeah, just try not to be late this time.”

 

~

 

It's situations like these that most likely deter any suitor for either boy. Say a guy happens to walk by the bar down the street, peek in the window. He'll see two guys seated at the bar, drinks in hand. He might find one cute; the one with the perfect bowl cut to frame his perfect facial features or the one with bleach blonde hair and sleepy eyes. He might stop and watch the two for a few minutes. He'll decide that the two are most definitely in a relationship together and it's not worth trying to pursue someone already in a relationship. It would be a little different if the two didn't look so happy together, but it's pretty apparent to see.

 

They're in love.

 

“Maybe you should set your sights a little higher,” Hongbin says, tie loosened and shirt untucked. He's sitting at the bar down the street with Wonsik. The boy's eyes are a little droopier than usual, so Hongbin can tell he's a little depressed. Or maybe a little tipsy.

 

Wonsik sighs, finishing his drink with the big ice cube in it, “I'm trying. I thought this guy was going to be different. He owns his own business!”

 

“Renting a space to hold your own tattoo equipment is hardly his own business, Wonsik.”

 

“Ugh,” Wonsik hits his head on the table, he knocks the table, asking the bartender to give his giant ice cube liquid to chill again.

 

“Where do you find these guys anyway? The dumpster out back?” Hongbin snorts at his own joke.

 

“That was the the one time,” Wonsik reasons while Hongbin spits out some of his drink. Wonsik smiles, “he was taking out the trash the same time I was, ding dong.”

 

Hongbin gives Wonsik his heartbreaking smile, “I'm just saying, you should find someone that has their a little more together than a tattoo artist or another bartender.”

 

Wonsik nods and gives Hongbin a small smile in return, “yeah I know,” he finishes another drink, knocking for another. “What about you, huh? It's not like your dating history is filled with winners.” To lessen the blow Wonsik gives Hongbin a playful nudge.

 

Hongbin fires back just as quickly. He playfully kicks Wonsik's stool, causing the slightly tipsy man to grab onto the bar top for balance. Hongbin laughs and corrects Wonsik's stool. Hongbin's leg stays on Wonsik's bar stool well after the stool is balanced.

 

“I'm serious,” Wonsik continues, “your guys are just as bad as mine.”

 

Hongbin decides to shut his friend up by ordering them each a shot. “Listen, it's not our fault that there are nothing but duds in this city.”

 

The boys take their shots. Hongbin's leg finds its way in between Wonsik's. Wonsik's hand finds Hongbin's hair. Wonsik reciprocates the order and the second shot brings Wonsik's lips to Hongbin's ear.

 

“We'll find who we're looking for right?” Wonsik whispers in Hongbin's ear, gently leaving a kiss in the process. Hongbin normally doesn't like public displays of affection, but they're the only two in the bar at this point, Hongbin's made sure of it.

 

“Of course.” Hongbin checks one last time to make sure they're in the bar alone. Then he grabs Wonsik's face and kisses him hard.

 

We might kiss when we are alone

When nobody's watching

We might take it home.

We might make out when nobody's there

It's not that we're scared

It's just that it's delicate”

-Delicate, Damien Rice