3, It Gets Better

Growing Pains: The Undeserved

Chapter 3

Hyukjae's day started again at 7am, usual time, when the sound of water running filled his ears. It was a natural wake-up call for him for one month now. Hyukjae felt different this morning. Most morning, he would wake up with his eyes cleared and he would sit up, all feeling of sleepiness gone though he would yawn. Feeling sluggish was not listed. But, today, Hyukjae woke up with blurry eyes and an aching body. He blamed it on the cleaning up he did last night and not getting a warm shower after doing the chores. As he sat up, he gave his shoulder a massage before stretching and got out of the bed.

As he was about to open the fridge, he looked at the calendar attached to it. 13th Jan was the day's date. He sighed, a thin smile on his lips, as he scanned the Thursdays' column. It would be their one-month anniversary tomorrow. Maybe he could cook something special tomorrow. With his thoughts made up and a reminder to call his mother-in-law up later set, he prepared the table for the day's breakfast.

Per usual, Hyukjae was not sitting at the table while Donghae ate. It was laundry day, so as he had left the washing machine running as he set up breakfast, he was hanging them outside, perfect place to keep an eye on his husband with just a glass door between them. He diverted his gaze somewhere else whenever Donghae looked outside.

Hyukjae was rubbing his neck as he entered the house through the backdoor. He went to the living hall and sat down but stood up again when Donghae climbed down the stairs. He waited until Donghae landed on the last step and smiled as his husband looked at him.

Donghae lifted an eyebrow, "What?"

Hyukjae came closer, "Can I ask for a favour?"

"No," Donghae walked away and broke their eye contact, heading for the door.

"Wait! Just … Can you send me to work today?" Hyukjae stared hopefully at the black hair of his husband.

Donghae turned to face him and he snorted, "Yesterday you asked me to take you to the mart, and now you want me to give you a lift to work? Do you like being in the car so much with me?"

Hyukjae reigned down the red creeping up to his cheek, "My car is still in the workshop, as you should have notice. So, I am hoping maybe you can -" he cut himself off as he watched Donghae took out his wallet.

His husband placed a few bills on the small table for keys, "Whatever you hope for is just a wish. And it’s not the one that’s going to come true. Take a cab, alright," and with that he opened the door and stepped out, shutting the door with unnecessary force and caused the whole room to echo with the resounding shut.

Hyukjae stood there with his nostrils flaring and he clenched his hands. Grabbing the money Donghae left, Hyukjae went outside and once again he slipped in between Donghae and his car's door.

"Really? Are you serious? Do you have a thing with blocking people from entering their car?"

Hyukjae ignored Donghae's yelling. Instead, he grabbed Donghae's wrist and brought the hand up before he slammed the money onto Donghae's palm, "Thanks," Hyukjae half smiled and half sneered as he looked at Donghae, "It's not your money that I want though." He stepped away after that, released Donghae's hand, his fingers lightly brushing the soft skin that had a few splotches of paint. In the next second, he was back inside the house, and the door once again closed.

A minute later he heard the car drove away. Hyukjae was not sure either he felt sad or angry. He wondered why he had fallen for his husband, who had outright insulted him right to his face. He closed his eyes with his fisted hand on his chest, thumping it a few times to calm himself.

It was many years ago when he had felt an affection for the boy who had drawn him. He saw a boy his age, needing a friend, needing sincere praise. He saw eyes that were more beautiful than the twinkling stars yet glistened with sorrow. He saw a boy that had his heart on a paper for everyone yet no one saw. He saw a boy with a gift. Hyukjae had fallen for this boy, the lone boy on the street across from him thirteen years ago. It was not his husband he had fell for. But, then again, his husband was that boy he had grown to love. Deep down, Hyukjae wanted to believe, his husband was that boy, with the same mesmerizing eyes. His husband still needed a friend even if there were many beside him now, still needed sincere praises - not just the tabloids praising yet contrarily questioning his skills. His husband still had his heart drawn on paper – only now the paper was laminated, hidden from everyone. His husband was a gift, just like that first drawing he had made for Hyukjae.

Hyukjae loved L.D.H. so he learned to love Lee Donghae.

Hyukjae quite dislike his gift of being able to notice small things at times. It was one thing to know, another to understand but it was completely different to have to bear with it without being able to say anything. Hyukjae knew he was going to let his husband have his way, because I’m just that understanding, good for you, Hyukjae.

Sighing, he went to take a bath, hoping to reduce the tenseness of his shoulder with warm water. He arranged back the shampoos, cleansers and soap on the counter as he cleaned himself. Apparently, his husband was not the type that kept things in order like Hyukjae was. After that, he collected his pyjamas and the strewn of dirty clothes left by Donghae in the closet, depositing them into the laundry basket. Then, he sat in the living hall and watched some shows for the next hours, stopping for a small lunch and to prepare Donghae's dinner. He fell asleep and woke up with just enough time for him to call a taxi, get a quick shower and get ready for work.

Myungsoo, co-worker who had been working in the restaurant longer than Hyukjae, shook his head as he watched the sous chef half-running half-skidding into the kitchen and the latter just grinned before putting on his apron and helped with the kitchen prep. He was calling his mother-in-law before entering - she gladly told him what he wanted to know and even congratulate him for the anniversary - causing him to be just a little late.

"Thank you, Hyukjae," Donghae's mother had said, before she ended the call.

It was a normal evening at the restaurant, average amount of customers came and the entire kitchen staffs wrapped up nicely without any unfortunate incidents. “Bye, Myungsoo, Hyukjae. Be careful on your way back,” Chef Yikyung waved them both before he exited the locker room, leaving only Hyukjae and Myungsoo behind and 2am was quickly approaching.

"I'm going. Bye, Hyukjae hyung," Myungsoo waved at him, his back facing Hyukjae.

"Bye, Myungsoo." He finished collecting his things and zipping his black leather shoulder bag. Just as he shut his locker, something else clicked beside the lock. He had planned on asking a ride from Myungsoo to get home! Shouldering his bag, Hyukjae ran to the parking lot outside. It had started to rain. Hyukjae saw Myungsoo's car at the gate. He waved hard, screaming, "Myungsoo!" until he coughed, his throat getting soar. Myungsoo left and Hyukjae was stuck, sheltering under the roof of the building.

Hyukjae tried calling Myungsoo, but the younger's phone was off. He did not want to bother any of his other co-workers or friends, and definitely not his mother. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he thought of someone he could call. Donghae would be sleeping right now, and Hyukjae was not keen on disturbing him, but, better to bother his husband than anyone else. So, he dialled the number and waited. Donghae did not pick up. Hyukjae called him three times before he gave up and texted instead, hoping for a miracle that Donghae would wake up, read it and come to fetch him.

Cussing as he shivered, Hyukjae took out his jacket from inside his bag. The rain did not show any sign of stopping soon. Making up his mind and thinking it might be easier to notice a cab if he waited at the nearby bus stop, Hyukjae locked the restaurant and the gate before he ran toward it. He was already soaked by the rain, but then a car drove by fast as he was running and it caused a splash of dirty water to hit Hyukjae. Sitting on a bench at the bus stop, he was wet from head to toe and his jacket was not helping in sheltering him from the cold.

Time passed by and Hyukjae lied on his side on the bench just wide enough for him. Despite being wet, he still used his jacket to cover most of him up. Checking his phone, it was almost three in the morning. He was cold, sore and tired. His eyes were half-lidded and he stared at nothing in particular.

He did not realize when his phone rang, too exhausted and numb to feel anything. He did not know that someone was rushing to him in the heavy rain, that there was someone who was cussing as Hyukjae was not at the restaurant. He did not even notice when a car had stopped in front of the bus stop.

Donghae got out of his lime green car and opened his umbrella before stepping into the bus stop. As he looked at Hyukjae, he took off his jacket, lifted the wet one from on top of Hyukjae and replaced it with his.

It was only then when Hyukjae realized that Donghae had come. His husband helped him sat up, keeping the jacket over his shoulders with an arm wrapped around Hyukjae. Gently but hurriedly, Donghae brought him to the car, opening the door for him and let Hyukjae got inside, putting the seatbelt on for him before getting into his own seat.

Snuggling the warm jacket and grateful for the heater, Hyukjae said with his teeth chattering, "My jacket?"

"I left it. It's not that fashionable anyway," said Donghae, driving away.

"My bag?"

Donghae stepped on the brake and looked at him with his eyes squinting and his lips pursed. Huffing, he reversed skilfully, stopping in front of the bus stop again. He was out and back into the car in a second. He drove them home in silence. Hyukjae turned to his side, looked at Donghae for a while before he closed his eyes, a smile prominent on his face even when he was falling asleep, "Thank you. I know I wasn't wrong about you," Hyukjae mumbled, half-asleep.

Hyukjae missed the soft-heartening look Donghae gave him.

They both missed the car parked near the bus stop, with the driver unblinkingly stared at Hyukjae.

Hyukjae woke up when his seatbelt was unbuckled and Donghae walked away from him, going to unlock the house's door. He got out by himself and headed inside, Donghae's jacket still on him.

"Night. And do not wake me up again."

Hyukjae only saw the back of Donghae as his husband headed upstairs. He smiled, "Happy One-Month Anniversary, L.D.H." he whispered to himself. He had a warm shower and got into more comfortable clothes before Hyukjae climbed the bed and lied down next to Donghae. Sure that his husband had fell into a deep sleep, Hyukjae kissed his own hand before he hesitatingly ran his hand over Donghae's hair. He then pulled the cover up, covering his face.

 

***

 

Donghae was not surprised when he did not find Hyukjae on the bed after his shower the next morning, used to it by now. Another thing he was used to was breakfast at home - and dinner. He anticipated dinner more, though. Breakfast was usually just bread, jams, cereals or pancakes. Dinner had more varieties.

But, today's breakfast was different. Donghae might not say it, but he liked this breakfast the most.

Hyukjae was taking off his apron as Donghae stepped down the stairs and entered the dining area. Something was different with Hyukjae, his lips were paler near the edges, Donghae noticed. Despite that, he still grinned and greeted Donghae as usual. Ignoring the greeting like he used to, he dragged out a chair and sat.

Donghae's eyes were fixed on the table. Instead of the usual Western style breakfast, something else was served. On the table were a bowl of soup, two bowls of rice, grilled meat, tofu, rolled egg, and kimchi. It was a traditional Korean breakfast. Donghae blinked. He could hardly remember eating a full breakfast like this before. His mouth watered and he had to swallow, his eyes still roaming the table. Without full conscious, his hand scrambled to grab the chopsticks.

"Can I..." Hyukjae cleared his throat, "Can I sit with you for breakfast today? Just for this once?"

Donghae stopped his hand mid-air, surprised to find Hyukjae right beside him. He contemplated, lifting an eyebrow as he stared at Hyukjae. A few seconds passed before he averted his gaze and nodded. That got him another smile from the other.

They ate together, no one saying anything. They were not wrapped in an uncomfortable atmosphere, though. Donghae was enjoying himself, tasting everything. Some were very good, few were a little bit off the right taste. But, Donghae would give credit to Hyukjae for the attempt since he clearly was not an expert in traditional food. Not like Donghae would comment anything, anyway.

After he had finished, Donghae left the table and went to the living hall. His mother had told him not to go anywhere unless with Hyukjae, for some reasons. Threatened to be visited if he still went out, Donghae relented. He switched the TVs channel one after another. When he could not find anything that interested him, he got off the sofa and roamed the house.

The living hall, filled with white furniture exceptional for the drawings adorning the white walls and the black coffee table, was vast, almost as big as his parents' house's living hall. Instead of a wall, the right side of the room was entirely made of glass sliding doors. They led to the garden outside. Donghae's hand ached for his pencil as he stared. Blinking and turning away, Donghae's eyes landed on a white - Hyukjae seemed to be obsessed with white! - grand piano placed at the furthest corner of the room, facing outside.

Donghae opened the case as he sat down. He ran his fingers lightly over the keys, testing how it felt. The keys were dusty. Weird as the case had not even a particle of dust. Shrugging, Donghae pressed the keys randomly.

Out of sudden, his hands were pushed off the piano and the case was shut again. Hyukjae had come and slid himself between Donghae and the piano and he now was sitting on the case.

Donghae looked up at him and snorted, "You really like coming in between me and something, don't you?"

"This is off limit for you," Hyukjae said, breathless.

Donghae cocked his head, "Why?"

"Because it is a gift from someone."

"Girlfriend?"

"Never had one."

"Boyfriend, then," Donghae guessed again.

Hyukjae huffed, "No. One of my instructors gave me this after I aced his class."

Donghae leaned back and smirked, "You had an affair with one of your teachers? I didn't need to know that."

Hyukjae crossed his arms, "I never said that. He gave me this because he said I need a getaway from cooking sometimes. Even doing the thing you like and have passion for can get stressful at times. So, he said to take off the apron, wear a coat and act like Beethoven once in a while. His words, not mine."

Donghae squinted his eyes, "He definitely likes you."

Sighing, Hyukjae said, "Point is, if you don't know how to play and will just ruin it with slamming your fingers on the keys, then please don't do it. I don't play because I don't know how, but I appreciate his gift. Okay?" Hyukjae moved away from in front of him.

He was not far when Donghae once again opened the case and this time, he played a song. It was 'Because I Miss You' by Jung Yonghwa. He played well, his fingers dancing on the keys easily. He knew Hyukjae was listening. He stopped after the first chorus and turned around, knowing Hyukjae was staring at him.

"You can play it, as much as you want."

So, Donghae played, and Hyukjae went on with what it was he was doing. When Hyukjae came with a bucket and a mop to clean the dried drops of murky water from last night - earlier that morning - Donghae was still at the piano, not playing anything in particular. Rather, he was just bored and decided to let his right hand play whatever it wanted. His hand stopped moving and he sat up straight as he heard a thud.

Donghae stood up and looked at the source of the sound. He saw a mop of brown hair on the floor and Donghae braced himself with his hand slamming the piano keys. He swallowed hard and breathed audibly. Donghae blinked rapidly as he moved closer toward the body on the floor.

Hyukjae was on the floor, motionless.

Donghae's mouth felt dry as he knelt down and reminded himself that someone could not just drop dead suddenly. Gently, he moved Hyukjae so that he lay on his back. Donghae's eyes were still blinking fast and as he blinked, he started seeing red on Hyukjae's face. But, after another blink, the red was gone. He grabbed Hyukjae's shoulder, and calmed his own breathing, though, he was still breathing loudly. He closed his eyes once for a few seconds and was glad when there was no red on Hyukjae when he opened them.

Donghae shook the shoulder slowly, "Hyukjae. Yah, Hyukjae. Wake up. Yah!"

Hyukjae's face was pale, and when Donghae placed a hand on his forehead, he was blazing hot.

His breathing and heart rate calmed, Donghae lifted Hyukjae into his arms. He gulped at how lifeless the other seemed to be. Slowly, he brought Hyukjae up to their room. After wiping the sweat formed on Hyukjae's forehead, he placed a wet cloth on it.

The doctor came soon and ran a quick check-up on Hyukjae. Donghae waited outside the room, biting his thumbnail as he paced.

A moment later, he was told by the doctor that Hyukjae fainted because of his fever and fatigue. Hyukjae was also very tensed and his blood-pressure rose up. But, it was not to the point of worrying. He prescribed fever-reducing pills and reminded Donghae to change the wet cloth every half an hour to help Hyukjae cool down. After he sent the doctor to the door, he climbed back up to the room.

Donghae soaked the wet cloth into the water basin on the side-table, wrung it and placed it back on Hyukjae's forehead. He watched the rise and fall of Hyukjae's chest with relieve. He had felt a panic attack rising when he saw Hyukjae lying on the floor. He did not want to see such a scene again, no matter who played in it.

Half an hour passed by with Donghae still sitting on the bed, looking over Hyukjae. He soaked the cloth again and hovered over Hyukjae as he placed it back, frowning. His face was mere inches from Hyukjae's at that moment, and he took a moment to stare. The man beneath him was quite a sight for sore eyes, Donghae thought as his own dark orbs followed the prominent line of a strong jaw. The slightly pale lips were definitely plush enough for him to appreciate, not that he would.

The other decided to wake up right at that time.

Red coloured both their cheeks as they stared into one another's eyes, Donghae felt as if he was caught spying. Somehow though, Donghae fell forward, losing balance after leaning so long. And just like that, their lips brushed. Donghae’s train of thoughts had picked where he left; well, I wasn’t wrong about appreciating it being soft.


So yeay for another update, right? To those who wished for it to be longer, this is just very slightly longer, a few hundreds words more. I tried and planned to write more but I think it would make things feel rushed. Tell me what you think about this, okay? What do you think of Donghae now? Cookies for all, it's chocolate chip!

P.s. Hope my writing style is fine and easy to understand.