The Demon Brothers

Shadow Heart - The Black Hawk

“This here is my boyfriend, Yoongi ~” Bee proudly announced.

 

I felt wary around this guy. He looked… suspicious. He had pure black hair and an inexpressive face. His eyes were a weird dark blue with small golden specks in it. Like a starry sky… a Nightsky, uh. One of the various categories of shadow spirits… I didn’t like Nightskies. They were… well… ugh. Whatever. I just didn’t like them.

 

“My name is Yoongi,” the guy introduced himself, bowing. “It is very nice to meet you.”

 

I contained a growl. The guy was even more suspicious. Just the way he was talking and everything…

 

“Jae,” I just said, my eyes narrowing.

 

The guy stood back straight and looked into my eyes. I could read a challenge in his gaze, so I stared back, not flinching, not blinking. We stayed that way until Bee took her boyfriend’s hand, worried.

 

“Yoongi?”

“Let me do this,” he replied, mumbling.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Yoongi!”

“I’m telling you, everything’s fine.”

 

He kept staring into my eyes for a few more seconds before he looked away and headed out the house, pulling Bee with him. I hissed, showing my fangs a little. I didn’t like that guy.

 

Ama had only been watching from further away. She walked to me once the guy was gone, taking my hand gently.

 

“Jae?”

“Everything’s all right. The kids are gone, they’ll come back when they’ll feel like it.”

“Jae…”

“No worries. Everything’s all right.”

 

I forced a reassuring smile, but my eyes couldn’t lie. Ama was so used to them that she read my worry and wariness, but she kept quiet. Instead, she went to the kitchen, looking around, preparing some food. While she was doing that, I ate a bit of raw meat I had brought back from a hunt. I’d be with the others when it would be time to eat, but I wouldn’t be eating. My fangs didn’t allow me to eat anything else than raw meat.

 

**

 

Bee came back while the food was cooking. Her boyfriend wasn’t with her. She said he had gone into the woods to be alone for a while, but I had a bad feeling about this. The guy ended up not even coming back that evening. The girls ate and watched a movie afterwards while I was working. It was the same old stuff as usual…

 

“Black Hawk?” the hunters said with a smirk. “We heard that you have a human mate. You’ve gotten weaker then, yeah? We’ll kill you.”

“Try me.”

 

It didn’t take long before I killed everyone, but I was about to burn the bodies when I suddenly felt an alarm ring inside of me. I didn’t bother burning anything and headed back home, the bad feeling coming from there.

 

Disappearing, I reappeared in the living room, frowning, all senses alert. I could still feel that something was wrong. But the lights were off and the place was silent. Still, something wasn’t quite right, so I headed to the bedroom to get changed into normal clothes, grabbing my weapons and standing in the corridor leading to the bedrooms afterwards.

 

I was waiting.

 

A loud noise suddenly came from the front door and, from where I was, I spotted a silhouette, probably belonging to the person who had just broken the door. I kept quiet and still, watching as the silhouette got closer, soon enough turning into a person and not just a silhouette. It was a guy looking just the same as Bee’s boyfriend. Well, no, not exactly, this one was more massive and his eyes weren’t those of a Nightsky. Instead, they were black with metallic reflections and I knew those eyes belonged to a Grey, another category of my kind. The faint glow hidden between the dark irises was the proof of that.

 

“Jae?”

 

I felt Ama getting closer to me, staying hidden behind me. Her sister was there too, hidden as well. Good. If they were close, I could protect them. I my fangs with a disdainful hiss.

 

“A Grey. I hate Greys. They’re such emo es. Never showing any emotion, never actually having any goddamn emotion. They do everything without feeling anything about it and-”

“Jae,” Ama sighed.

“Sorry,” I said, calming down a little, breathing deeply. “I uh… I’m a Blue, so… it’s in my personality to look down on other categories…”

“It’s okay.”

 

She let go of me and headed to the back of the house with her sister, aware that it was probably better that way. The Grey was still there, not moving, and it was making me annoyed. I hated Greys, the way they fought without any emotion and everything. I was a Blue, an assassin, a stealthy killer who never needed to fight. But right now… I had to fight. For my girlfriend, and my future son, and my girlfriend’s sister. To protect.

 

I held my sword tighter. The moment I did so, the Grey attacked. He unsheathed an enormous Redblade that was probably half as heavy as its owner and he ran to me. Lifting my own Redblade, I growled, showing my fangs.

 

The blades hit each other with a loud noise and I had to muster my powers to reinforce my arm and keep my sword up. My opponent was smaller than me, since he was just a teen, but like all Greys, he was physically much stronger than me. We stayed there, not moving, for a while, before he stepped back and I attacked with a snarl. The Grey blocked and we kept on fighting like that for a while. I was snarling and growling and hissing, but my opponent was mechanically blocking and attacking without any emotion. His black eyes with metallic reflections would normally be the ‘angry’ color on a Grey, but in this case they were just his ‘attack mode’ color. My own eyes had turned to a bluish grey out of anger.

 

“That’s enough, brother. I’ve found what we came here for.”

“Okay.”

 

The first voice had come from the front door and my opponent kept his blade up to block any attack, walking back towards the other voice.

 

“Want to use the spell, or do I do it?”

“As you wish.”

 

Typical Grey response. I hissed at the guy who had showed up at the door.

 

“Yoongi…” I growled. “Yoongi of the Demon Brothers. I’ve heard of you.”

 

The teen laughed, not even bothering hiding his fangs. I gripped my sword tighter.

 

“You guessed? You’re good, Black Hawk.”

“I’ve heard of the two of you. The Demon Brothers, always working in duo, one of you leading a front attack, the other sneaking and killing…”

“I’m flattered that you’ve heard of us.”

“Duo attacks are for losers. A real hunter hunts alone.”

“Whatever, Black Hawk. Tonight is not the time to talk. Brother, you may use the spell.”

“Okay.”

 

I ran to the Grey as soon as he sheathed his sword and started mumbling, but Yoongi stood between us, his own Redblade out. I was better than him with a sword, but he had both his hands and he laughed like a maniac as he tried stabbing me with the dagger he had in his other hand. It distracted me long enough for the Grey to finish mumbling his spell, but… nothing happened. I frowned when both brothers suddenly moved back, ready to head out.

 

“There we go,” Yoongi said, smirking. “See ya around, Black Hawk,” he chuckled before he ran away, his brother following him closely.

 

I stood there for a while, only moving when I heard a voice right next to me. Bee was there, trembling.

 

“Yoongi… is…?”

 

Aw, damn it. This little human hadn’t understood that her boyfriend was a murderer, uh. Poor kid. Discovering it that way…

 

A long moan made me turn, however. It was coming from the bedroom. I ran there, finding Ama on the floor. She was shivering and obviously in pain.

 

“The baby…” she groaned, holding her belly.

“What?! But there’s supposed to- I mean… we had two months left right?”

“Seemingly not, !” she growled, suffering.

 

… was it the spell used by the Grey…?