Who's Ahead In the Race?

Tell Me How Much I'm Worth

As he leaves the building, the first thing – rather, person – Hakyeon takes notice in is Wonshik, who much like the previous time, leans against the cacophony of drawings and colors on the outside wall; he looks amazing with a thick but snug on his wide torso sweater, poetically red as blood and dark jeans, a beanie covering his black hair, his posture nonchalantly y. Accustomed with girls and boys alike showing interest in him, the dancer admits most can’t live up to his expectation on the appearance department, so Wonshik, as humorously silly as he acts, is a good change for his eyes.

 

“If you continue to act like that, I’ll think you’re stalking me, Wonshik-ah” he says, making the other stand straight in haste, cheeks lightly flushed.

 

Which doesn’t stay red for long, as he replies sassily “It’s lunch time, and I could be waiting for anyone”

 

Hakyeon clicks his tongue, dissatisfied with the answer; he crosses his arms, and pouts “Then, bye bye” the dancer pretends to go on his way – like Wonshik said, it’s lunch time and he’s famished after helping Junho with the freshmen, the dumb kids with two left feet – only to be stopped by a hand on his wrist.

 

If asked, he’ll deny to his grave and beyond, but Hakyeon is secretly a sap with an undying love for dramas of all kinds, and right now, the whole wrist-grabbing-to-stop-someone-from-leaving seems out of one of those corny, cringe worthy scenes Hakyeon loves so much; this, and his diva-like, protagonist complex are feeding of the attention he gets from the others ogling students leaving the B1, passing by, and Wonshik himself.

 

“Don’t” the younger’s husky voice actually sends one big shiver up Hakyeon’s spine, but he expertly continues to hold his unimpressed face “I don’t mean it like this, I– I’m not stalking you, I…” he staggers, cutely – the older doesn’t think the other views the action as such – rubbing his nape with his free hand, black medium hair pointing to all directions after he’s done, in a sign he needs to calm down with the styling gel. Wonshik appears to think the same, side glancing at his hand with barely concealed disgust.

 

You see, this is what Hakyeon is having trouble with; Wonshik’s inconstant behavior. If he on one moment acts like some y playboy trying to bed him, in the next he’s a kicked puppy, unsteady on his words, uncomfortable on his own skin and eager to please. He makes it hard for Hakyeon to decide which one of his actions reflect the true Wonshik – he suspects it’s the kicked puppy personality rather than the y playboy – and honestly, he’s not the better character judge, confiding only in Taekwoon and Sanghyuk while maintaining a polite distance from the rest of the world. He may have missed great opportunities to make good friends – there was a boy on high school named Minhyuk, and he looked nice – but the dancer isn’t one to bet and see.

 

“Would you like to go and have lunch with me? There’s this place really close to the campus that serves the best jjajab–”

 

Hakyeon interrupts him, pitying his efforts, but also admiring them; most boys would have already given up on him, after two rejections “Wonshik-ah–“

 

“My treat” Wonshik is the one interrupting him, quickly speaking the magical words. The grip he has around his wrist tightens minimally.

 

Hakyeon is a college student, which most of the time means he’s broke. He’s a dancer too, so he spends lots of energy twirling around a room, sweating the calories he consumes away, making his slight body extremely, freakishly hungry most of the time. He charges younger students when they need his help with choreography or an essay, and he brings food prepared by Taekwoon daily; still. An opportunity to eat for free is rare, and he’s not about to lose it.

 

Putting one of his brightest smiles, Hakyeon is surprised with himself when it comes easily, not fake “Now we’re talking”

 

.

.

 

Thursday morning and the last thing Jaehwan expected to see is one very pouty, sulky Han Sanghyuk, arms folded in front of his black pullover clothed chest, motionless on his classroom’s door. This period is self-study, and the art student is perched on his favorite spot near the wide window, the glass shaking with the howling winds force and the heavy rain outside; his classmates seem just as paralyzed as him, looking at the director with dozens of wide eyes, which the younger ignores.

 

“What’s the matter?” his teacher asks, raising his gaze from the newspaper he reads. “You need something?”

 

“I need Ken”

 

Three simple words and the previously shocked to silence classroom erupts in bubbling whispers, several sets of eyes gyrating 180° to stare at Jaehwan, who just smiles cutely, masking his surprise with childishness. “Meee~?” he singsongs. Sanghyuk’s pout juts a little more, and his eyebrows lower on his face.

 

Jaehwan is sure that if he could, Sanghyuk would be shooting daggers, lightening, fire, green goo, cockroaches and every gross and dangerous thing on Earth in his direction.

 

“It won’t take long, seonsaeng-nim” the director promptly ignores his question, talking to the teacher instead, who nods with lack of interest “Come. Quickly”

 

Jaehwan finds himself passing through the class with curious glances being thrown on his direction, and as the attention seeker he unabashedly admits he is, he stops when he’s face-to-face with the younger boy, smile unwavering “Here I am”

 

Sanghyuk grabs his collar, not roughly, but not gentle either; firm, a manner to affirm who has the upper hand in this situation despite the favoring Jaehwan. He pushes them both a few steps backwards, closing the door so they have a little privacy, releasing him after the click echoes in the empty corridor. Knowing how the people from the arts courses like to gossip, Jaehwan bets the classes all around them already know about the encounter. He himself is one of those with a penchant for prying on the personal lives of others, even if he doesn’t involve on them.

 

They stare at each other, Sanghyuk with his perpetual frown and Jaehwan with a smile often called cute “So? What kind of matter would the great Han Sanghyuk has with me?” he says, hoping his words will massage the younger’s ego; the bet he made with Wonshik and Hongbin just now lurking on the boarders of his thoughts. As much as he likes the idea of receiving free paint for months and acquiring a set of special brushes, he’s not exactly at ease with the notion of playing with emotions. Also, he’s a cute jokester, not a heartthrob.

 

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work, as the frown deepens; Jaehwan is starting to think Sanghyuk will have wrinkles twenty years earlier than he’s supposed too, with the amount of brow-action “You volunteered to aid the Second Year Film and Directing class with their main assignment. I chose you, and now we’re working together”

 

Oh, wow. Certainly direct.

 

Not even his cuteness can overpower the instant gape of his mouth or the way he feels his eyes widening at the not at all request.

 

“Hm…” he mutters, pursuing his lips, index finger tapping it, hand covered by a light pink wool sweater in a pawn of sorts “Hyuk-ah, we just met” he whines “Buy me a coffee before wanting my body”

 

Sanghyuk left eye twitches, the thin line of his lips curving downwards “Don’t go feisty on me. It’s Han Sanghyuk, Director Han or Sanghyuk-ssi”

 

“But it’s all just so lengthy” he blinks repeatedly, joining his hands together in front of himself “I’m your sunbae, I have the right to call you more informally”

 

“As you seem to already know my name, you probably also know that I don’t give a damn about seniority or whatever” the younger gives one step forward, but Jaehwan doesn’t bulge, still holding his gaze without a hint of being intimated; Sanghyuk all of a sudden looks a little less frown-y, one dark eyebrow lifting in wonder “I found your style satisfying, so we will start today–“

 

“I have work today…”

 

“–Tomorrow then” Sanghyuk fixes him a gaze, the first one that doesn’t promise an eternity of pain in hell; it’s almost normal, if it wasn’t for the edge of anger in the orbs bottomless brown color. “Meet me in the library by 4 o’clock. I don’t like to be kept waiting, so be punctual”

 

Jaehwan nods, internally cursing the seven hells and back; this guy’s crazy. Like, completely crazy, if his anger management issues and disregard for education and personal space have any say on this. He can look past this whole delinquent like image, seeing underneath the overly violent demeanor, how cute the other can be, with juvenile features and potential to aegyo, maybe sassiness. This Sanghyuk boy has some things bottled up inside him, and no-one to talk about it too.

 

“I understand… Han Sanghyuk-ah” he calmly says, smiling through Sanghyuk’s change in expression; to reasonably normal to lethal.

 

“You’re playing with fire, Ken” he hisses.

 

However, his angry brown eyes blink confusedly when Jaehwan smiles wider than ever “I’ve always liked to play”

 

.

.

 

He’s staring, and he should stop; he can’t help, the sight is too captivating.

 

Hongbin feels his smile grow as he watches Youngji laugh silently, her perfect white teeth exposed in one big smile; the whole world seems dim compared with her in this moment, emanating her own light, his own private sun. Breathtaking.

 

This idea of his, to wait for her to pass on the same place they stumbled – read: where he fell painful and shamefully with his on concrete – is proving itself to be great, since Youngji recognized him easily and didn’t hesitated in starting a conversation, asking if he found his composer friend – which he lied, saying he did – and if he needed help to go to the B1 again – which he refused. With a charming smile and a flash of dimples – he could be infinitely smoother with girls, their natural softness attracting his own soft side, which they loved – he skillfully strayed her attention to other topic.

 

They’ve been like this, sitting on a wooden bench in the not-that-bustling pathway from the B5 to B1 for at least half an hour, and depending on Hongbin, they’ll stay for another half, when he has his next class. He’s supposed to be cleaning after the reptiles, but it can wait; it’s not as if serpents leave anything behind except for their skin, and he swears some lizards are in the same position for years.

 

The rain has stopped it’s been an hour, but the sky is still colored light gray, something that only attracts more eyes to her; Youngji glows with her own light, a mini-sun in a world temporally covered by dullness.

 

“Hongbin-sunbae” Youngji calls in between her fits of silent laughter, and his whole being focuses on her, and her only “Oh my god, Hongbin-sunbae, are you serious?!”

 

He nods, putting on his best wounded face “You hurt me. Are you saying you don’t believe me?”

 

“No no no, that’s not it!” she shakes her hands, even if she tilts one eyebrow, slender and delicate like her  “It’s just hard to swallow– Singlehandedly fought a crocodile with a nail clipper, wearing only a pink tulle with unicorns drawn on it… Give me the credit of doubt”

 

“What? I look good in pink, and in tulles” he blinks exaggeratedly, enjoying the mirth dancing in her beautiful brown orbs “To my defense, the nail clipper was really sharp”

 

Youngji giggles some more – she can giggle all she wants, it’s a pleasure for Hongbin to witness it – attempting to cover with dainty hands “How exactly did we came to discuss this?”

 

“Well, you asked me what was the weirdest thing I had done as a Veterinary major” Hongbin points out, smiling a smile he knows it’s cute, making his eyes turn into slits.

 

“I just can’t understand the purpose of it”

 

“Veterinarians” he says the word like it explains everything; seeing Youngji doesn’t understands, he completes “Only like animals, and no, we mere humans don’t fit the category. The sunbaes are ruthless with freshmen”

 

“Hm” Youngji hums, tapping a finger – with a nail painted light pink – on her chin, a pout settling on her lips “So that means you made your hoobaes go through something similar?”

 

Ugh, Hongbin groans mentally, resisting the urge to rub his neck in a gesture of embarrassment. Youngji send him a knowing look, biting her lower lip – and if Hongbin fixes his eyes on the action it’s totally unconsciously – in poor concealed amusement.

 

“I-I… I think traditions are very important, and who am I to break one that happens since the beginning of the course?”

 

“So yes, you did”

 

“I never made anyone fight a crocodile”

 

“So, the pink tulle…”

 

“They’re a classic!” Hongbin moves, so his body is half turned towards the girl “However I’m fond of them bright yellow, and green”

 

Youngji laughs soundlessly again “I do remember some boys walking around a whole day with these horrific things. You’re the one to blame”

 

“Me and my class, please”

 

“For someone with this face, you surely are wicked” she says, only to blush right after.

 

They may not have met more than twice – counting this one – but Hongbin feels at ease with her, as if they’ve been friends – he wants more – for years, so he doesn’t hesitate in wiggling his eyebrows “What about my face?”

 

Youngji blushes harder, and suddenly stands, wiping imaginary dust from her jeans and picking her bag “I– I have to go now sunbae– Things to do, you know? …Drama things!”

 

She’s cute like this, all red and stuttering; Hongbin shows an accepting smile, one dimple visible “Sure, Youngji-yah, we can text later”

 

There it is, the signal he’s interested in her.

 

Youngji catches it, and smiles through her blush “Okay” she hugs her bag against her chest “’Till later, sunbae!”

 

Hongbin watches as she goes away, not bothering to suppress his smile; he’s satisfied with his day up until now, and pretty happy with this development with the beautiful, oh so beautiful Heo Youngji. He hopes that by the end of the semester, he’ll have the honor to call her his girlfriend. He can already imagine, they’ll make a stunning couple – he conscious of his flower boy image, and who doesn’t like dimples? – one of those who make heads turn as they pass by. He’ll hold her gently against his side, and smirk at the envious looks the boys will give him.

 

He chuckles – no, he won’t admit he giggles – entering the B5 building; he greets some of his seniors and heads en route for the second floor basement, so he can pick the proper attire to move around the snakes – why it isn’t on the reptile’s house, he doesn’t know… so unpractical. Hongbin decides, since he’s already near, go to the room the veterinary courses keeps the pets in observations, because of injuries and/or illnesses. Caramel is there, and being just one day ever since her arrival, he thinks it’s fair to go and check on the tiny kitten.

 

Confusion creeps its way to his mind as he sees a certain commotion on the second floor; students are perched close to the stairs, hiding behind walls to gaze at something ahead of the hallway; a light buzz of whispers mingle together, and Hongbin almost nudges some of the louder second years to ask for an explanation. He doesn’t, one because he is not the type to ask around and two, because he was supposed to be feeding snakes and lizards forty minutes ago; he’ll get scolded later, but after spending quality time with Youngji, it’s going to be worth it.

 

A few steps later and Hongbin discovers the reason why a commotion is forming on the floor.

 

Taekwoon sits by the floor, huge blue headphones contrasting starkly against his very light hair. He uses his backpack to lean on, head on the wall as he balances a notebook on his bent knees, pen scribbling viciously on the page, bottom lip caught in between his teeth. Somehow, Hongbin never imagined him as one of those students who flopped down anywhere, with the ‘Ice Prince’ image working for him. With long blue sleeves up to his elbow and skinny jeans, he looks like any other student.

 

An exceptionally good-looking student, but a student anyway.

 

“Taekwoon-ssi?” he risks calling the boy’s name, in a whisper that seems to echo in the long hallway.

 

First, Taekwoon stops assaulting the paper sheet. Then, slowly, almost lazily he pushes down the headphones – for a brief moment Hongbin thinks he hears a pretty, haunting ballad rhythm – and looks up, directly into Hongbin’s eyes, freeing his bottom lip at the same time, and no, Hongbin doesn’t follow the motion with rabid focus, no, he doesn’t. Taekwoon doesn’t say anything, blinking once.

 

Hongbin breathes deeply, feeling his ears getting hot with the attention he knows he’s receiving from the other students “Taekwoon-ssi, why are you here?”

 

The older boy doesn’t answer immediately; instead, he closes his notebook and putting it inside his bag. He raises with it slinging on one shoulder, and finishes putting the headphones down, setting them on the base of his neck. As Hongbin opens his mouth to speak again, he says, in that soft, quiet voice of his “I came to see Caramel… And the kittens”

 

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6… Buddha.

 

Hongbin isn’t stupid enough to gap like a fish in front of Taekwoon, but that doesn’t mean his mind can’t collapse at the same time. He knows that there are people on the B1 who have never, ever heard the compositor’s voice, and understands that for him to be listening to more than half a dozen of words coming from him is nothing less than a miracle; how the curious whispers behind him get louder is proof that he’s not the only one who recognizes this.

 

Taekwoon is still looking at him, eyes black and distant, cold and dull. He appears to have no hurry, and waits as Hongbin’s brain tries to recompose itself.

 

“T-T-The ki-kittens? Yeah, sure, come with me!” he stutters, feeling sweat blooming on his forehead.

 

In front of him, Taekwoon nods, turning slightly to the side, as if saying ‘lead the way’. His expression remains the same, and he follows Hongbin quietly when he starts to walk, their shoulders bumping for one millisecond.

 

Hongbin’s heart feels like stopping.

 

.

.

 


.

.

Annyeonghaseyo~ *bows*

I know that I'm very, very late with this chapter, please forgive me. I caught a cold for one week, then some of my parents' friends came to visit for another week and both couples have newborns. Me, as a complete drolling coyote (people say I look like one), just had to coo at them and take care of them without thinking of anything else. I'm sorry for this *bows again*

As always, thank you very much everyone who reviewed, subscribed and voted~

Well, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter as well, and see you in the next.

My mistakes are my own, I'm also sorry for them ^^'