Watchful Eyes

Tell Me How Much I'm Worth

The first thing that happens once he’s back from lunch is a tap on his shoulder.

 

“I don’t know how you did it, but congrats!” someone – was it Minhyuk? – says, winking at him with a large grin, showing him a thumbs up. Subsequently, two nearby girls nod and giggle, also congratulating him as they pass by.

 

Hongbin stands in confused shock, not getting the reason why those people suddenly said this to him; he looks around and finds that there are more staring at him, analyzing him from his sneakers-clad tip toes to the last strands of his brown hair, and while he’s accustomed – he’s not being conceited here, things are the way they are – with having a certain amount of attention directed at him, never it was something like this. The novelty of his apparently ulzzang looks died on the second half of his first year, and most times now, when someone needs him for something, he’s referred as ‘the vet’s pretty boy’. The girls like to stare at him, but that’s about it.

 

A strong slap on his back jolts him forward, almost losing his balance. He glances sideways to the person responsible, ready to sass them into submission, but as he meets Gongshik’s – or Gongchan, as he prefers it – eyes, smiling down at him. Involuntarily, a smile of his own stretches his lips, and he straightens himself, turning to hug one of his best friends. “I think my lunch turned sour just by looking at your ugly face.”

 

“At least you had lunch already; seeing your quadrangular head made me lose my appetite.”

 

They stare at each other, serious, for an entire minute before dissolving into laughter.

 

“What are doing here, you bastard?” Hongbin asks; the first to recover enough to speak. “Tired of your fancy Engineering building?”

 

The other wipes an imaginary tear from his eye. “See, I was tranquilly visiting CNU when I saw someone I never had seen up close, drinking a latte of all things. Y’know that little kiosk with the tasty cupcakes?” he doesn’t wait for Hongbin to nod, continuing, “We were there, CNU complaining about me wanting to eat their red velvet one, and boom! suddenly Jung Taekwoon, yes, THE Jung Taekwoon appears like, seven feet ahead of me, making this poor girl scurry away from her seat so he could take her place.”

 

Hongbin knows his mouth is open stupidly, yet he can’t help it as Gongchan babbles.

 

“Imagine then my surprise when CNU tells me that apparently this is his second time on the building, and, that in his first one, he was waiting for you, Lee Hongbin!” Gongchan waves his hands, emphasizing his point with accusing gestures. “Didn’t cross your mind that I would want to know that you’re having an affair with the most impenetrable member of the B1 trio?”

 

He feels his face burn in embarrassment at his friend’s choice of words. “You make it sound like I’m committing a sin.”

 

“If you’re dating Leo, Ice Prince, then yes, you are,” Gongchan smirks, cocking his head to one side, his eyes as prying as the others around them. Smirk that vanishes, his face becoming more serious. “You certainly have heard the rumors about the three of them, and what happens to people who try to get close.”

 

“They’re exactly that, rumors,” Hongbin can’t help rolling his eyes, not swayed by the words. Just like Gongchan, he believed on them not long ago; now that with his – admittedly limited, but more than 99,99% of the university – interaction with Taekwoon, he is starting to think them invented, not fitting the quiet, animal-loving compositor at all. He’s not sure about the ones pertaining the trio’s youngest, Sanghyuk, though. “There’s no proof of them.”

 

“Digging your grave for a little adventure and a pretty face,” his friend shrugs, tapping his shoulder condescendingly, obviously not convinced and not confident on Hongbin’s abilities. He’d be offended, if he didn’t know Gongchan was only worried for him. “I admit, the nickname Ice Prince is very fitting with that fair skin, light hair and blank expression; he’s very dazzling up close, but dude, dude, you don’t pet a lion without the risk of it eating you whole.”

 

A frown pushes his eyebrows down, the comparison oddly suitable; besides Ice Prince, Taekwoon’s is known as Leo, as in lion. His features resemble one, at least.

 

“I know what I’m doing,” he says, a bit petulantly.

 

Gongchan raises his arms in defeated acceptance. “Whatever you say, ‘vet’s pretty boy’~,” he finally smiles again. “Go then, I’ll be sure to make a tearjerker speech on your funeral.”

 

“… Screw you.”

 

“Ooh, rude,” Gongchan pretends shock, before smiling big and ruffling Hongbin’s hair; he turns and jogs away, waving. “Good luck with the beast!” he screams.

 

Hongbin for very little doesn’t throw him his middle finger, resisting the urge as a thought pops in his mind; if Takewoon is within the B5 walls, that means he’s waiting for Hongbin.

 

That means he’s waiting!!

 

Fearing being too late, Hongbin dashes towards where Gongchan said he’s seen Taekwoon, managing to not knock down anyone; that doesn’t mean he can avoid stumbling in between groups or bumping into one or two – or five – unaware students. By the time he arrives, he’s panting and his cheeks feel red from all the embarrassment and curses he had to listen from the unfortunate people he stumbled upon; he remembers papers flying everywhere, and a cringe runs up his spine.

 

His arrival is received with turns of heads and curious stares, sharp and accessing; it immediately bothers him, and he wonders if that’s how it feels to be part of the infamous trio. The sensation of being an animal on a zoo, there for exhibition against its will; a painting on a museum, untouchable and up there for scrutinizing. No one seems to care as he walks through the tables, staring shamelessly; Hongbin wants to growl at them for acting like this. He feels disrespected – it’s not at all like the stares of people who thought his appearance noteworthy, instead, it’s invasive, rude and he wouldn’t think unreasonable if the rumors proved to be true – and something new, something he recognizes as protectiveness, blooms on his chest.

 

All he can focus on is to find Taekwoon and take him away from those eyes; a tension he hadn’t noticed installing on the line of his shoulders relaxes when he sees Taekwoon, who tranquilly sips on a big latte cup, headphones on, expression unreadable. His mouth – and no, Hongbin doesn’t take a little longer analyzing the small, pink and pouty lips, he totally doesn’t – moves as he mouths silent lyrics, long fingers softly drumming against the table.

 

“Hyung,” if his voice sounds relieved, it’s the lack of air from running. When Taekwoon doesn’t show his acknowledgment, he tries again, boldly touching the tapping fingers with his own. “Hyung.”

 

Taekwoon’s black – so dark, like two black holes, vast but dim, and Hongbin is almost lost looking directly into them – orbs snap in his direction, set in a glare that loses its icy edge when he registers who is. Hongbin bites the corner of his bottom lip to avoid smiling; he’s thrilled that Taekwoon doesn’t consider him a threat, and softens at the edges with him. So much compared to how he normally acts towards others.

 

He doesn’t speak, but Hongbin takes the unblinking gaze set on him as a ‘hello’.

 

“Came to see Caramel?” he asks.

 

Taekwoon nods.

 

“She’ll be very happy,” he smiles, this time deeper, and like always, the composer’s eyes stray to his dimples; this time however, the inexpressive line of his lips relax, and warmth creeps into his eyes, not at him, but still.

 

Hongbin wants to simultaneously stop time, so he can admire this vision, and get the hell out of there, as far as his legs will carry him, Taekwoon in tow. Not one of these people deserves to see the little crack on his icy mask. The possessiveness in his line of thought registers only a moment after he thinks it, and… it’s not like he’s feeling possessive of Taekwoon, not at all! It’s not possessiveness to want to pick his hand and guide him to a place where he can happily play with kittens and puppies to his heart content, humming softly, Hongbin being the only one to witness the change in his behavior.

 

… He can admit to being a tiny little bit possessive. He’s been doing his best to earn the change; he has the right to feel like this towards – not Taekwoon Taekwoon, never – his target if he ever wants to win.

 

“Mingyu and Sangsan?”

 

Had the flick of hope on Taekwoon’s voice lasted longer, Hongbin probably would be overheating; he’s thankful it didn’t. “And Mocha and Makki and Dumpling and Dooman too, if you want. I’m sure the rascals will all be thrilled to see you again – they’re up for adoption, but you know…”

 

Taekwoon blinks at him. Combined with the slight tilt of his head, he interprets it as confusion. “Hm?” he hums in question, softly.

 

“People usually don’t like a street animal without pedigree,” he snorts. Argh, that’s why he prefers animals to humans, at least they don’t have stupid prejudgments. “Not even the young ones can escape prejudice, cute as they are.”

 

The change is immediate. Taekwoon’s Ice Prince expression falls to the ground as his brows furrow and his nose scrunches up, his lips twisting downwards and mouth opening in clear incredulity. His hand – now Hongbin notices, he’s still touching his fingers, cool and long – clenches to form fists.

 

Someone behind them both gasps audibly, and Hongbin has had enough; he approaches Taekwoon and gently grabs his hands, pushing him upwards so he’s standing straight in front of him. This is the closest Hongbin has got to him, to the point he notices for the first time the smallest of moles beneath his right eye, and of course only Jung Taekwoon would have such a risqué feature to add to his already reputation of tall beautiful and mysterious.

 

“We treat them well here,” he start, squeezing Taekwoon’s hands, “not as well as a loving family would, but we do our best. Don’t worry for Caramel or any of the others.”

 

Taekwoon looks at their hands overlapping each other and then fixes his gaze directly into Hongbin’s. “People can be mean… and ridiculous.”

 

Another gasp and the whispering around them is a constant – annoying – buzz on Hongbin’s ears.

 

“Let’s get out of here hyung,” he releases one hand, but intertwines his fingers with Taekwoon’s on the other, enjoying their coolness, the few callouses from playing instruments, rejoicing internally when Taekwoon doesn’t push him away. To the crowd on the kiosk, he directs his fakest smile. “Some people out here aren’t capable of decency to respect others.”

 

“Yes,” Taekwoon agrees, and more than one person blushes and splutters, lowering their heads.

 

When they’re out of hearing distance, Hongbin continues, thoughtful. “Why can’t you keep Caramel? You seem to love her–” seeing how the black orbs harden a little, he quickly amends. “I’m not saying you’re like those people! It’s just that… You love animals, don’t you, hyung?”

 

“I do,” surprisingly, Taekwoon answers, looking down, sadly. It must be an impression, yet for a split second Hongbin felt a tightening on his hand. “My landlord… He prohibits animals.”

 

“Don’t be sad hyung,” eagerly Hongbin comforts – tries to – him. It tugs something at his heart, seeing the Ice Prince, always so impenetrable, but also so… soft, appearing so sad, broad shoulders hunching down, blond hair falling over his eyes. “Caramel certainly loves you, and I know that she’ll be happy to see you again.”

 

Raising his black-hole-like eyes, his voice sounds unsure, timid. “You really think so?”

 

There are trumpets playing on Hongbin’s head, and he’s faint, dizzy with the surge of emotions coming and going faster than he can attend to. He sets for feeling mostly the frenetic thumping of his heart and the warm of his cheeks, combined with the fierce protectiveness that blooms on his chest at staring into the meek figure of Taekwoon. It takes his all of his will to lose composure and simply hug the boy, kiss his lips and cheeks and eyes until this uncertainty on face is no more and assure him that everything is alright. Damn to all hells the busy corridor and the snooping gazes – don’t people have something better to do other than spy?! – of every science student that happens to recognize Taekwoon.

 

Instead, all he does – can do – is reassure him. “I’m certain; come, I will prove to you.”

 

Taekwoon nods, and there, there it is, the small, barely noticeable curve of lips that indicates a smile.

 

If he stumbles, is because the floor is slippery.

 

 

.

.

 

 

“I don’t believe you said that. Get out of here, I don’t want to see your ugly face ever again.”

 

Jaehwan snickers at the exaggerated boy by his side, putting on his mental list of ‘Things That Annoy Hyukkie’, that’s remarkably long giving that they know each other for more than a few days tops, and considering that it’s been what? a few hours since they started to agree – or agree to disagree – on something. The younger is, as expected, as passionate on every subject of his life as he is with directing.

 

Anime in especial, seems to hold a large part of his interest. Such a kid. “Just because I don’t agree that Sasuke is a stupid character?”

 

“He made that ing anime roll for as long as it did!” Sanghyuk practically growls at him, gesticulating wildly. “He’s a much better character than Naruto, who suffers from the ‘Main-character syndrome’.”

 

Jaehwan rolls his eyes, enjoying the discussion and the fire on the other boy. It’s refreshing, considering Hongbin doesn’t watch animes anymore since getting hooked on Overwatch and Wonshik prefers seeing cartoons or the ones with busty girls and guns everywhere.

 

“Both are stupid,” he says, throwing at Sanghyuk when he opens his mouth to protest. “One is an indecisive emo who can’t decide who he’s gonna seek vengeance against– And that Hokage thing? What kind of sense that makes?! Naruto I can understand, but Sasuke? Really, that for me is just a serious case of stick up . Kishimoto should have them and I bet Naruto would have ended sooner and better.”

 

Sanghyuk looks positively scandalized, and it’s funny. Jaehwan giggles at the outraged face he makes. “You’re mad,” he declares.

 

“I’m a realist. Look, I can agree that Naruto suffered from the main-character syndrome and that Sasuke was badass and that Sakura had a lot of wasted potential and that Kakashi was a god-awful teacher, but the rest? Nooope, I refuse. That war? Unnecessary. The whole Tobi-now-Obito-now-Madara-back to-Obito? Ridiculous. So much could have done and wasn’t.”

 

“You didn’t complain this much when we were talking about Fairy Tail,” Sanghyuk points out. “You’re biased.”

 

“Am not.”

 

“Is too.”

 

Jaehwan puts a hand on his chest dramatically, fluttering his eyelashes in mock dejection. “I don’t mix my personal opinion with my professional.”  

 

Except maybe when it involves a bet he made while drunk.

 

Wow, good to remember how much of a bad guy he is; not that he’s worried about hurting Sanghyuk, for he’s not. Sanghyuk is still a kid in many many ways, and he doesn’t seem interested in anything but his productions and anime. He’s a fun guy to talk to, when he’s not being all broody and , snarky and with firm opinions. He seems even younger without the several lines on his brows from furrowing them so much, and he looks cute when he smiles.

 

A pang of guilt, small but there, tugs a string on his chest. Especially when Sanghyuk rolls his eyes, obviously not believing him. Oh, how right he is…

 

“I hope not,” the younger grumbles, crossing his arms, blowing a strand of platinum hair out of his eye. “This project is worth too much of my grades; this and I want to see the face of my ‘seonsaeng-nim’,” he speaks the word with sarcasm, “when he admits my brilliance.”

 

“He’ll have to make some herculean effort to see something that’s not even there,” he can’t help but jab at the other. It’s just his nature.

 

Sanghyuk opens his mouth to retaliate, but then he stops. His eyes widen comically and his mouth hangs open comically. His gaze is fixed somewhere on Jaehwan’s other side, and curious as he is, he turns to see just what made the Director speechless.

 

Oh.

 

Oooh.

 

Wonshik and Hakyeon walk side by side, Hakyeon laughing loudly and freely while Wonshik looks down – their size difference is perfect – at him with a smile of his own. They’re quite a sight together, both tan and stylish and naturally charismatic. There’s an intimacy between the two of them one wouldn’t expect after spending so little time together, but still; it’s almost magnetic the atmosphere around them, proved by how Wonshik’s hands touch Hakyeon’s waist frequently and how he tilts his body towards the other’s, how Hakyeon touches Wonshik’s chest and arm to swat at him playfully.

 

Now he understands why Wonshik said he was close.

 

Turning to see Sanghyuk, who continues glued on his place, and then back at the duo walking away, he also understands.

 

 

 

Oh.

 

.

.

.


.

.

Soooooo, I'm late again. Oh, the news ^_^'

First things first: OMG guys, you're all amazing! I really didn't expected last chapter's positive answer, and all I can do is be thankful that I have such nice people following my admittedly stumbling writing. Thank you very much everyone, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Second: I hope you guys like this chapter. I'm kinda rusty and I felt like this chapter was lacking in many ways. I passed through a period of author's block that made me stop writing completely for a month. After that, I struggled with writing in English again, since it's not my first language.

All mistakes are my own, and please feel free to point them out to me~

ps: I'm sorry for my anime talk on this chapter and for possible spoilers. I just... am a nerd sometimes.

I hope to see you all soon~

.

.