Junkyard.

RUN.

“A junkyard?” Yong was in shock, taking in the new area. Jin came over from where he was standing, smiling all the while.

“Yeah, we’re going to ask our buddy for some help scavenging stuff for someone’s room,” He eyed her playfully, “And this is the best place.” Yong’s nose scrunched up in distaste. Junkyard décor? 

“He ain’t gonna find ya none of yer fancy ,” Agust came up from behind, catching the last bit and Yong’s facial expression, “But he ain’t gonna give ya rottin’ either. We won’t let ‘im.” With that, he brushed by her, heading straight to the junkyard without so much as a glance back. 

Jin whistled lowly, “Damn. He’s really taken a shine to you, huh?” Yong looked up at him in confusion. “Seriously? How’d he treat you when you got here?”

“He acted like I didn’t exist for a solid few weeks,” He explained, “And only really acknowledged me when I was driving. I can’t tell you how he decided I was all right, though. Maybe because you’re a girl…” Jin trailed off, considering the possibility while leading her into the junkyard where Agust had disappeared.

Yong rolled her eyes, “While I admire that there might be some form of chivalry alive in this manner-less world I’ve found myself in, I don’t think that my gender should have anything to do with how I’m treated.” 

“Spoken like a well-educated lady.” Jin laughed, before taking her by the hand and taking another turn in the junkyard. Soon enough, she could hear another voice along with the rough tone she was quickly associating with Agust.

“So where’s Mon? You know he’s my favorite~” The unfamiliar voice teased, and as they rounded the next bend, she saw Agust looking completely unamused (except she thought she saw the side of his mouth twitch – perhaps he could smile?) and a lean, mechanical engineer dressed man, smiling widely and seemingly non-threatening. Yong’s brow furrowed. What is it with these gang members and having smiles bright as the sun? It just didn’t make sense to her. 

“Jin, my man! Speaking of man, where’s yours?” The boy bounded up to Jin and, despite the height difference, managed to put him in a headlock. The taller squawked at the sudden tug but after a couple of minutes of struggling, managed to pry him off.

“He’s not my man, and he’s busy.” Jin said indignantly, shoving the unnamed man off of him, brushing imaginary dust off his of clothes and fixing his hair as best he could. The other rolled his eyes, but turned his attention to Yong. She gulped as he eyed her. 

“So, this is your newbie? Didn’t say it was a girl, Agust.” His face didn’t seem to know how to not smile, and it was honestly started to creep her out. 

“Ya in’ creep, Jackson! She’s not a piece a meat!” Agust scowled. Jackson laughed, holding his hand out, “Name’s Jackson, nice to meet ya… ?” It was obviously a chance for him to learn her name, and Yong nodded politely. 

“Yong.” She gave him a firm handshake, meeting his eyes. Jackson nodded, giving her a quick once over. “Yong. Nice name. What’s your specialty, then?” Her eyes flitted to Jin and Agust for help. Agust seemed to be in rapid thought, and Jin was attempting but failing to provide an answer for her. She was on her own. 

“I’m well-versed in many things, this week is seeing where my skills would best be put to use.” The words flew out of before she could filter them, but it seemed to be the right answer, because Jackson guffawed loudly and turned to look at the other two. 

“Ya got yerself a good one, huh?” He commented, dodging a swipe from Jin, laughing again. “Just sayin’! Alright, what ya need today then? We just got a fresh shipment, lotsa good, hardly used stuff too.” Jin pulled out the list from his jacket’s pocket, handing it over to Jackson. 

The boy whistled as he looked over the list, “Damn. Don’t ya have your own stuff, girl?” He glanced over, before turning and bounding off, “Let’s see how much we can cross off.” Agust hurried after him, grumbling about respecting new people and not nosing in other’s business. 

“Come on Yong.” Jin gently called, and she followed, looking around the piles of junk and finding that most of it really wasn’t rotting or in all that bad of shape. It didn’t even smell like mold or . Yong was so immersed in checking everything out that she slammed right into the back of Jin, almost knocking her to the ground. 

He turned around to check on her, “You okay? You have to watch where you’re going.” She adjusted the hem of her sweater, “You should watch where you stop.” It was meant to be playful, and Jin managed a small smile. 

“Okay, smart one,” He teased, “Go find some things you like.” He gestured to the pile that Jackson was currently rummaging through, with Agust inspecting everything he pulled out, giving it either a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’, each in their own separate piles at his feet. A large, slightly stained pastel pink comforter came out of the pile, and Agust held it up towards the two.

“Yes or no?” He asked, eyeing the blanket and then looking at Yong. She looked out it, while the stains put her off a little, it was nothing major and the pastel pink was really pretty. “Yes.” She nodded, and he put it to his left, reaching for the next few things that Jackson was putting to him for inspection. 

It took what felt like a few hours, but eventually Yong had secured several blankets and a few large pillows, a lamp (which Agust scoffed at her wanting, but she had insisted, she just really liked the style of it, regardless of whether she could plug it in or not), and Jin had snagged a mattress and a blanket seat for her room, as well as a few things to be divided amongst the members, she was assuming. The group was placing things in the truck. Yong was the last one to come out, her pink comforter in hand. Something reflective stopped her before she could reach the truck, pausing to find where the light was coming from. Once she foudn it, curiousity drew her near the pile where it was coming from. The shine was coming from underneath a few broken picture frames, and Yong didn't hestitate to start digging. As she pulled them aside, underneath the frames it revealed a mirror.

There was an ugly crack in this mirror at the top of the oval reflective glass, but the simple gold frame and it all just made her fall in love with it.

“Hey, Jackson?” She called out, stopping the boy’s conversation (something about how the space heaters that Agust had all but ran away with when he found them were broken and in need of repair, to which Agust was fussing about Mon being able to fix anything and these were definitely going to be fixed, no matter what) and turned their attention to her.

“‘Sup, Yongers?” Jackson quipped. Yong hated nicknames that sounded dumb, but let it go. She wasn’t going to start her first fight over a name -- she hoped she never had a first fight ever. Yong motioned towards the mirror. 

Jackson’s nose scrunched up, “What about it? It’s been sittin’ here for a while, man. Ain’t nothing special.”

“I… I want it.”

It was pretty much the first thing that Yong had verbally expressed that she wanted (and had actually went digging for, she realized, and hoped that she could wash her hands at some point) and Jin all but lit up. 

The elder immediately turned to Jackson, “Can we take it then?”

Jackson glanced at the others and back at the mirror that Yong hadn’t left, her right hand clutching tightly to its frame. He sighed, “Whatevs. Take it if ya want. You owe me, though.”

“How much?” Agust asked, and Jackson leaned in to whisper something in his ear. “Ugh, Hope’s not gonna like that but it. Deal.” Agust shook hands with Jackson before shuffling over to pick up the mirror, hauling it towards the truck with ease. Yong followed behind, waving goodbye to Jackson before getting into the car with the other two boys.

“Have fun with the rest of yer day, Yongers! Make her work for it, boys!” Jackson waved, before pausing as the car started up. 

“Don’t forget the deal for the mirror!”

As Jin drove away, Agust leaned over Yong to get his head out the window, “You’ll get yer fix ya !” As he flipped him off and motioned Jin to keep driving, settling back in his seat.

Yong didn’t really know what to think, but glancing at the two boys… She felt like if she just stuck with them, she’d be fine. They didn’t seem to do the dark and dirty work of the gang… right?


Part two of the update! I hope you guys like it, we've started to dive into the world of Bangtan and where Yong fits in. Happy Thursday and Happy Reading ~ Smile