Assigned.

RUN.


Deep into sleep, Yong dreamt an unpleasant mixture of running, boys with oversized teeth, and the smell of gunpowder. It was just a dream, she reasoned, she’d wake up soon and her roommate would for saying something in her sleep, all the while making sure coffee was already made for her. She was safe, there wasn’t -- 

“Yong? Yong? Wake up.” A male voice seeped through her mind, and her immediate response was, well, self-defense.

Whack. “!” The voice cursed, and Yong bolted upright in bed, fist raised and her body coiled up tightly, her fight or flight response kicking into high gear. She took in her surroundings, confused as to why her room was so different, and why she was cold – 

Welcome to the Bangtan Gang.

The rail yard. The ‘initiation’.

Everything came back to her all at once, her mind barely registering Mon’s cursing still continuing in the background. 

Mon. That bastard – she swerved to see not only Mon, but Jin as well. Mon was holding his nose and glaring, while Jin’s face seemed a cross between amusement and concern. 

“What are you doing in my room?” Was her immediate question before correcting herself, “Jin’s room.” 

“, waking you up, why’d you hit me so hard, goddammit –“ Mon continued, walking out of the room in a small fit. Yong stared after him before turning to Jin.

The elder simply smiled and gestured for her to follow. “Come on, I bet you’re hungry. Agust brought back some stuff for us this morning, I’ll show you the way.”

Yong’s stomach suddenly lurched. Food sounded amazing, stolen or not. She scrambled up, eagerly following the older man down the halls before reaching to a sort of strange break room area, where there was bare minimums of what could make it pass for a kitchen... But a real one at that. Gathered around the large table were six boys, including Mon, Kook, Min, and Hope, and the other few that she assumed one to be Agust and… She thought about it, who was the other one? She was sure someone mentioned his name last night, and he looked familiar too. Jin coughed, gaining her attention, a mug in hand, with a dark substance that she assumed to be coffee. 

“Ah, thank you…” She gratefully took the mug, sipping on it and immediately almost spitting it out. This was a cheap brand of coffee, nothing like what she used to have at home --

A rough voice scoffed, “I know it ain’t your fancy you’re used to, but it’s what you’re gonna get, so it up.” She looked up, seeing the one with bleached, ruffled hair glaring at her over his own mug. 

Her cheeks burned, attempting to shake it off as Kook eagerly called her over. He showed off the various small food products that littered their table, as if trying to impress her with the haul they had gotten for food. “It’s really good, try it!” He shoved a bread roll at her, which she took blankly as she tried to process everything once more. 

“Yong.” Mon’s voice got her attention. It didn’t look like his nose was bleeding, but with the color slowly changing; she surely must have bruised it. She gulped, her eyes trained on her own cup of coffee.

“I wanted to pair you up with Hope and Min for today’s run,” he began, causing the orange haired boy and Hope to both snap at attention, “But I was otherwise convinced that you wouldn’t be up for it. So you’ll stick with Jin and Agust for today. Don’t expect me to change my mind again.”  He signaled with his hands and suddenly everyone got up and started stuffing food in their mouths, both Hope and Min shoving food in their jacket pockets while yelling ‘bye’ and leaving the room; Hope with a black bag slung over his shoulder and smiling really wide.

“So you’re Yong.” The voice startled her. However, looking up she recognized the bleached roots and gruff voice from earlier. Yong pulled her coffee towards her in an attempt to gather her wits. 

“Doesn’t take a genius to figure that out.” She managed to get out, and a single eyebrow was raised in response. Agust nodded, taking his mug and starting to leave. He paused by the door.

“We’re leaving in about an hour. Don’t be late.” He made eye contact with her and Jin before disappearing as well. As soon as he left, Kook gushed over to her.

“Wow, Yong! That was so cool, Agust’s never taken to someone so quickly before!” The younger grinned, looking at her with nothing short of admiration. She blinked. 

“You sure? It seemed like he wasn’t impressed... and I wasn’t even trying, really.” Yong choked down another sip of coffee, trying to hide the disgust towards the cheap taste.  Jin laughed a little, his own mug in hand.

“Agust might be a little rough, and he doesn’t talk much to newbies, but the fact that he acknowledges your existence is pretty solid in the fact that he doesn’t hate you.” The older explained while drinking. Yong nodded, forcing more coffee down . She had no idea what she was in for today, and she needed to be sharp. One false move and she could be shot. She wouldn’t put it past these boys, no matter how friendly they were being. People like them are always dealing with people who are less than pleasant.

 

“So, what exactly do you and Agust do?” Yong asked a while later, following Jin to where they were going to meet the aforementioned man. Jin just shrugged. 

“Well, a variety of things, really.  He and I are usually the providers, we get supplies that we need.” Jin waved a list, before tucking it back in his jacket pocket. Yong pursed her lips. 

“What kind of supplies?” Of course, Yong had a pretty good idea of what he meant. Guns, bullets, weaponry was probably their main concern, along with drugs of some kind? She wouldn’t put it past them. 

“You’ll see.” Jin’s vague answer only furthered her suspicions even more, and her thoughts turned to dark alleyways, hoodlums passing things in secret, and of course, the spike of fear that comes with danger and the unknown. She shivered as she and Jin approached Agust, who was calmly leaning against the truck outside of the rail yard. 

“Still haven’t replaced this ol’ piece of , huh Jin?” Agust shook his head, punching his fist against the rusty metal of the old pick up. 

“Haven’t found a good enough one. You know I’m picky about my cars.” Jin shot back, shoving the blonde’s head in a mock anger sort of manner, before cracking open the door.  Yong hesitated before the car, the last time she’d gotten in this car they were being shot at. What if it happened again on this so-called ‘run’? 

“Yong, come on, we gotta go.” Agust was leaning out of the passenger’s side window, banging on the door to gain her attention. She blinked and begrudgingly headed towards the car.

“We ain’t got all day neither, too.” He sneered at her dragging feet, and she hurried towards it at the sound of irritation lacing his voice. When she finally got to the door, he swung it open with his foot and scooted over, only to earn a punch in the gut from Jin.

“Careful with this baby! Like you said, she’s a piece of , but the only one we got for now, so try not to break any part of her.” Jin scolded, before starting up the ignition. Yong scrambled for a seatbelt as the old car coughed to life. ‘The boys weren’t kidding about this car being a piece of ,’ she thought as she held on for dear life as the car rolled out and onto the streets.

The ride to… wherever it was they were going was absolute torture, because Jin and Agust were talking about different kinds of things. They expressed concern over Hope and Min’s run (and when Yong asked, they simply shrugged it off and said, ‘you’ll see’ which to be honest, she really didn’t want to) even the recent weather and the possibility of starting to look for space heaters. 

“We can’t keep freezin’ our Asses off, ‘M in’ sick of it. “ Agust complained, something that Yong noted that he was fond of doing, but what he complained of wasn’t ever unreasonable. Jin chuckled. 

“We’ll see if it’s possible.” Jin soothingly said, before glancing in his review mirror as they turned down a dirt road. Yong’s grip tightened on the seat cushion. They had to be nearing their destination. “How much further?” She asked, her mind already reeling with whatever it was they were doing. 

“Oh, just a few minutes more.” Jin shrugged, his eyes never straying far from the road as he shifted gears. 

Yong began to settle into her mind about possible situations that this ‘providing run’ could possibly mean. What if they were making a territory deal with another gang? Gangs did that sort of thing, right? What if they were stealing from stores for food and other things? What if it was some kind of burglary? What if --

“Move, Yong, we in’ here.” Agust’s rough voice snapped her out of it, but she noticed that he didn’t shove or touch her. He just looked at her expectantly, eyebrow raised. She scrambled out of the car, not wanting to push her luck with the grumpy blonde. As she swerved to look around for Jin, she noticed something.

“A-are we in…”
 


First part of a two part update!! Enjoy :) ~ Smile