Goddamn Fxxking Subtitles

Hey Mr. Airplane

A/N: Hello! Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for all the support! Thanks for reading! And for the upvotes and comments too. They really inspire me to write the next updates so please comment more. Anyway, here's part two. Enjoy! - Bluekimchi

-----------------------

 

Is it odd? Everyone seems to think that it is. For the three of them to not be seen together, it's almost absurd. The holy trinity must not be taken apart. But today, it is. Seulgi has to go home to her family for the weekend so, leaving Joohyun and Seungwan to fend for themselves.

 

Joohyun shrugs at the thought. She's 24 years old, not 11. She shouldn't get caught up in things like this, shouldn't get too emotional over it. Attachments are scary and she should be slowly severing ties as graduation is approaching.

 

But Seungwan makes everything seem like they're teenagers again, living the teenage dream even now as she climbs up a chair to tie the corners of a white sheet she found in the back room to a fixture by the ceiling, saying that they could transform the club room into their own personal movie house.

 

"C'mon, unnie! Foreign films are really fun!" Seungwan says to quiet down Joohyun's grumbling. "You should know!"

 

"I don't particularly enjoy reading subtitles." Joohyun mutters, scrunches her nose in distaste. Yes, goddamn ing subtitles.

 

"I'll translate for you. If we end up picking one in English." The chair that she's standing on wobbles dangerously. Joohyun runs, has to trip over herself, to keep it steady so Seungwan doesn't fall. 

 

"Really. You're gonna get yourself injured over this." Joohyun complains again. She holds out her hand to help Seungwan off the chair and she hops back on the ground unscathed.

 

"Calm down, mom. I'm fine. You stopped the chair from falling." Seungwan playfully taps her on the nose, giggles. "Thanks, by the way, unnie."

 

Joohyun doesn't say anything just plops down on the couch (now pushed to the center of the room, facing the white sheet) while Seungwan gets her laptop. She settles beside her right after. Joohyun watches her and listens to her as she rambles on about the films she has saved there.

 

"Soojung gave me copies of the latest indie films. They're mostly French though. I doubt you'd like that. How about this?"

 

Joohyun props her elbow on the armrest and rests her head against her palm. She realizes that this is getting repetitive. Watching Seungwan. Is it bad? Maybe not entirely, Seungwan is quite a view that deserves all the looking and watching.

 

"Unnie?" 

 

Joohyun flinches. She hadn't realized that Seungwan was waiting for an answer and she pretty much got caught openly staring at her. She plays it cool though.

 

"Whichever is fine. I'll probably end up sleeping in- Ow! What was that for?" She exclaims, mouth open in shock after being hit on the side of her head.

 

"It's rude to sleep while watching movies." Seungwan says, strict.

 

"Says who?" Joohyun challenges.

 

"Says the girl who rearranged the furniture and borrowed a projector from the library across campus just so she can watch a movie with you." Seungwan glares at her then raises an eyebrow as if daring her to get out of that trap.

 

Joohyun bites her tongue, fights a smile.

 

"Okay. I'm sorry." She raises her arms in surrender. 

 

"Back to the topic, which one do you want to watch?" Seungwan asks again as if none of the bickering happened.

 

"You pick. You know these things better than I do." She says but still scoots closer to get a look at the laptop screen.

 

"How about this one?"

 

"Sounds interesting. Yeah, sure." She says without really getting a hint from the title within the time frame Seungwan allows because she immediately stands and connects her laptop to the projector.They also found a pair of speakers someone left lying around the room and it actually has a pretty decent sound quality. 

 

Soon, the lights are off and they're watching the film play through their makeshift movie screen.

 

The couch is too big without Seulgi around so they stay close together. Seungwan props her feet up and leans comfortably into Joohyun as the older girl's arm fit snuggly around her shoulders. The weather is too cold anyway. They can keep warm this way.

 

Joohyun was right about the subtitles. It runs too fast for her to read. The film's not in English either so Seungwan can't translate for her. She doesn't say anything though, because judging from the way Seungwan gushes at the scenic view of Italy shown, she knows she's enjoying it immensely. And to be honest, Joohyun would rather watch the younger girl's million dollar reactions than any award winning foreign film anytime.

 

Well, the film itself isn't that bad. It's about looking back on one's life (she manages to grasp that much) and realizing that at the end of it all, regret is nought. At least for the protagonist. It even gets Joohyun a bit emotional and philosophical about her own life at one point but there's something about sitting on this battered sofa, watching films in a language she doesn't understand and getting intimately comfortable with each other on a Friday night while everyone else is out partying that draws her attention elsewhere.

 

Joohyun turns her head to look at Seungwan and she wonders if this is what it feels like to be greedy because for the first time, she admits to herself that she likes this, likes that Seulgi's not here, likes that it's just the two of them.

 

She used to tell herself that the reason why she hangs out with Seulgi and Seungwan is because Sooyoung and Yerim are too young. Especially, Yerim. She doesn't even know why she's already in college. But that's not the case anymore, is it?

 

Seungwan is easy to be with. She can be a bit loud sometimes but she's fun. She's adventurous. Joohyun always gets to experience new things when she's with her. Seungwan's brave and Joohyun admires her a lot for that. So unlike the rowdy bunch of freshmen boys who follow her around because they think she's pretty. Well, Joohyun knows that they're not entirely wrong - Seungwan's more than pretty, Seungwan is beautiful.

 

"Rome is so beautiful." Seungwan mutters again, breaking off Joohyun's train of thought.

 

Does it make sense that someone who Joohyun thinks is really beautiful thinks that something else is beautiful? 

 

"I want to go to Rome! Unnie, come with me to Rome." Seungwan's head turns and they're looking at each other, faces mere inches apart.

 

"Right now?" Joohyun asks, finding the other girl's eyes so inviting. Seungwan's eyebrows rise and her lips purse.

 

Joohyun doesn't understand how or why but she there's a sudden deep longing to give Seungwan whatever she wants, take her to wherever she wants.The feeling grows and Joohyun swears she can grow wings and fly Seungwan anywhere. She doesn't care if it's Rome, Paris, or New York. Even if it's Heaven, Hades, or the Moon, Seungwan only needs to say the word. And Joohyun patiently waits for it.

 

Seungwan smiles and it's like she's seeing right through her. Joohyun is convinced that it's not a bad thing. She's not too big on words unlike the character she plays on stage and honestly, there is no need for words at times like this.

 

The younger girl laughs and a thousand helium balloons are suddenly tied to her and she's floating up to the sky.

 

"Maybe tomorrow. It's too late in the night to go now." Seungwan whispers, leans back. Joohyun wonders if it somehow became awkward.

 

"And besides, Seulgi's not here. We have to take her with us." The balloons pop and she's sitting on the couch again.

 

"Do we?" Joohyun tries to mask the bitterness with a grin but Seungwan notices.

 

"Unnie!" Seungwan exclaims, looking appalled.

 

"I'm kidding. Where will we ever be without Seulgom?" Joohyun says, laughs.

 

"I thought for a second that you meant it." Seungwan pauses. "I know you're still a little awkward with each other but you have to settle that soon, okay? Promise me, unnie." 

 

"Seulgi's the only one awkward with me." Joohyun says, defensive. But really, that's the truth. Seulgi's the one who gets awkward when Joohyun initiates an interaction with her. Maybe it's the seniority that causes her to shy away but that's not Joohyun's fault, nor is it Seulgi's.

 

The cold creeps in and she has to wrap her arms around her self. She looks away, avoids Seungwan's gaze but she gives chase, hands grasping her by the shoulders, forcing her to stay put.

 

"Promise me, unnie." Seungwan repeats, eyes big and full of desperation. Begging. Why is she begging?

 

Joohyun is surprised and confused. She comes up paralyzed and dumb at the same time, wonders where this could be coming from.

 

"You have to take care of each other." Seungwan continues. Her eyes are sad as she drops her gaze to the floor. She slouches against the couch, deflated.

 

Joohyun frowns. It's starting to scare her and make her worry. There must be something Seungwan's not telling her. Maybe she should ask but then she's also afraid of hearing the answer.

 

"Seulgi is too pure for this world. You and I agree on that. She's a bit naive too. You have to look out for her." Seungwan lets go of her, clasps her hands together as if she's praying.

 

Seungwan looks scared too. Maybe as much as Joohyun is right now. Seeing her like this leaves Joohyun scrounging for words but they're nowhere to be found.

 

"You're going to need Seulgi too, unnie. I know you feel like nobody understands you most of time but please take the chance to let Seulgi in. Just as much as you let me." Seungwan's eyes stare into hers again and she has to swallow hard.

 

What's going on? Anxiety builds up like a tidal wave washing over the defenseless shore. It's tragic how moments ago she was feeling so brave, so daring to want to take Seungwan anywhere and everywhere and now she's cowering inside like a child. It's not just fear either. There's longing and need and sadness and greed (again). How is it possible for Seungwan to make her feel so many emotions all at one time? 

 

Fear, being the most innate, eventually wins.

 

"I will. I promise. Please don't get upset now. We should probably finish the movie, right?" Joohyun says, wants so badly to change the subject because she knows she would breakdown soon if they don't.

 

But Seungwan doesn't give her an answer. She throws her arms around her and buries her face in the crook of her neck instead. It's strangely comforting to some extent but it won't be enough to calm Joohyun down. If Seungwan thinks that this can compensate for the rollercoaster ride of feelings that she is putting Joohyun through, then she's being delusional. Even more so when she speaks.

 

"You're really very important to me, unnie." Her voice comes out muffled. Maybe it's shaky. Joohyun can't be sure of that.

 

"You're the same for me, Seungwan-ah." She replies, meaning every word even if she's clueless to what's happening like Seulgi is on a math test.

 

Seungwan pulls away. But she doesn't go far, just resumes their previous position like everything is okay. It makes Joohyun even more nervous. And at this point, it's safe to say that she's more than scared - she's terrified