Painting

Images and Words

 


Raina felt her shoulder being tapped and froze instantly, then startled when a joyful Lizzy got her face in front of the camera, it was such the surprise that she shot by accident at the journalist's face.

"Oh c'mon, I'm not that ugly" Lizzy joked and Raina just smiled in response. "So, am I right to say that you're my photographer for the day?"

Raina nodded "Here I am."

Lizzy's smile was just bright at such coincidence. She showed Raina what she had written until now, getting a few nods and smiles from the photographer as response, gaining the frown of the journalist.

"Either you're not talkative or you feel embarrassed"

Raina was speechless, she didn't know what to say, it was a bit of both, but more the latter than the former. She was still feeling embarrassed for her writing to reach this girl's hands. Even if she didn't want to think about it, it always made its way to her mind.

An announcement cut the silence that was between the two girls. The instructor arrived, and with that, the sound of many pairs of running feet, filled the hall with taps of all kinds. It was time for them to work.

 

**

 

"I hope to see you again!" said the instructor marking the end of the session.

Raina reciprocated Lizzy's actions by showing her her own work. Lizzy first was a bit confused, but paid strict attention to the pictures sliding one after the other. Showing the people working, painting, analyzing, wondering what to do next. Every slide made the journalist to drawn into the expressions, into her own thoughts, into a peaceful trance where it seemed that the images matched her words.

The sensation prolonged so much that she barely heard Raina's voice when she asked her something. When the camera turned off she looked at her confused.

"I said that the camera's battery was going low and I wanted to save some" Lizzy made to utter a low 'oh' to the girl's words, then commanded almost unconsciously...

"We should go home"

"We?" Raina wanted to rectificate what she heard, as far as she knew, their work was over, when it came to the Art section, what followed was a reunion the next day for Lizzy to start editing her work and then it was on the second or third day, the moment for Raina to deliver her pictures.

"Oh.. well, I mean.. if you're going right now over there, we should go together." Lizzy corrected.

"I don't know, I didn't expect to go home so soon."

"Wanna do something?"

"There's an old studio I own close here, we could go there for a while."

"Okay" Lizzy replied to the idea with a smile.

 

**

 

Both girls made it to the studio, Lizzy with a face that resembled the expression of a child wondering what she was going to find at the stranger's place.

"I come here any other day, or night, when I have nothing to do or when I don't want to sleep at home."

Lizzy looked around, the whole place was made out of wood walls painted white, there were a couple of old cameras on exhibition, a few vintage photos hanged against the wall, and some furniture covered by a brown cloth, dust was present but not that much, it seemed that the photographer cleaned it up once in a while.

Raina conducted Lizzy towards a room next to the dark one, in there, many canvases were on position, half already painted with colorful dots or paint splashes, while others were clean, ready to be painted. 

"Want to paint a little?"

"Really? Why then we didn't join the others at the theater?" Lizzy joked.

"We were working. I take my job seriously.., and so you do" Lizzy sighed and nodded with a smile. It was true, even if Raina would have offered her the chance to do that, she would have put her work first.

"So, what do you suggest?"

"I don't know, how about you tell me about your day and we throw some paint and see what it comes out?" Raina shrugged while giving out her idea, one that Lizzy seemed to like, even if she was not the best at painting.

Raina told Lizzy about her day and so did the latter to the former, they shared the anecdotes on their workplaces, about the models, about their bosses and good partners.

"Oh, that's Junhyung. He's usually lazy like that, not to mention he likes to bother any girl with a nice body or s." Lizzy finished flashing her eyes to Raina's .

"I wouldn't be surprised, he tried to invite me to dinner after doing his terrible job with the interviews, no chemistry at all between us. When I rejected him, he took it out with my work, stating that it lacked of taste, or something like that."

"Lacked of taste? This guy, I swear..." Lizzy opened in disgust and continued "Your work is amazing, I can actually connect my interviews with every picture you took. On top of that, it also gives me good ideas. Too bad I can't put them all"

Raina smiled and replied "Well, just make sure to choose the ones you think matches your work the best.

 

**

 

"So, you just do it like that?" asked Lizzy while watching Raina throwing paint at a canvas.

“I don’t just throw, I pick the colour I like and splat it on the canvas” explained Raina leaning her head to the right side a bit, with a smile drawn on her lips at the girl’s interest of what she was doing. She held the paintbrush thinking from which side she should throw the paint.

“Why you do that?” asked a still confused Lizzy.

“It helps me to relax and see things from another perspective, like when I’m out of motivation” Raina shrugged.

“Oh… I see” Lizzy slowly nodded and picked a clean paintbrush.

"Just think it's your boss and you'll make it"

Lizzy chuckled "If I think like that I might as well throw the whole can of paint" Raina laughed before positionating herself behind Lizzy, grabbing her by her waist, then pulling her hand with the paintbrush back, to help her.

"You just-" Raina started but Lizzy interrupted with a laugh, then continued "You just t-" but Lizzy's laugh was louder this time, so she retired a bit away from her and asked "What's so funny?"

"I'm ticklish"

"Oh, I see"

"But... keep going. I promise I won't interrupt this time" Lizzy breathing after the laughs and adjusting until being comfortable enough against Raina's body.