Son of the Coldness

Son of the Coldness

“Ahhh…again…another day…oh God! When will these days end?!”

The summer has recently ended and given its place to the beautiful but cold season of autumn.

Marjan was an Iranian girl that after losing her family, she had taken everything she had and come to the place where she always dreamt of when she was in high school. Where she thought she could escape her past and the things that had happened to her and more important than that, loneliness.

Yes, that place was Seoul; that very city of South Korea that a lot of young girls her age wished to visit and meet up with their favorite singers and actors. How childish! Oblivious of the fact that there are much more important things in life than that.




 

Marjan P.O.V

It was exactly 4 years ago. One of the greatest days of my life. The day that I could freely-after 4 years of studying at that damned school-go after the thing I desired.

That day was my graduation day from high school.

Flashback

I was sitting in the hall which our school was going to hold the ceremony, with my best friends, Mahsa, Saghar and Elsa and we were talking about our future plans while waiting for our families to arrive.

Our families! They were old friends, too; that’s why the four of us were that comfortable with each other, 'cause we were grown up together and we were like 4 sisters.

We were so busy talking with each other that we didn’t notice half an hour had passed since the beginning of the ceremony and they hadn’t arrived yet.

Right then, our principal went on the stage to begin her speech and the noises were slowly dying down when suddenly Mahsa looked at her watch and said “Hey, don’t you think they’re late? They should’ve been here half an hour ago!”

With that, we all looked at our watches and saw that she’s right. Then, Saghar stood up and said she was going to call them but Elsa said “No, wait! Your father must be driving, I’ll call now.”

And then the two of them went to a corner of the hall where there was less noise and Elsa dialed her mother’s number, but she wasn’t answer. Then Saghar also called her mom, but she didn’t answer, either. They both came back and sat down. All of us were worried, ‘cause all the families had come except ours. Meanwhile, suddenly my phone rang. I picked it “Hey, it’s my father!”

“What are you waiting for, then? Answer it.”

I pushed the answering button with slight feeling of fear and worry “Hi, dad. Where are you? Why are you so late?”

After a minute of not receiving an answer, I said “Hello? Dad? Are you on the line?”

Right at that moment, an unfamiliar voice answered “Excuse me, are you miss ------? Mr. ------‘s daughter?”

“Yes, but why are you answering my father’s phone?”

“Miss, I’m calling from the hospital. I’m afraid to say that, but half an hour ago, your father along with 8 other people that were in a van, had an accident in ------ Highway and we want you to come to ------ Hospital. And also, do you know the other people in the van by any chance?”

“Oh my God! You said HOSPITAL?! I’ll be there in ten minutes. And yes, I know the others.”

“So, could you inform their relatives?”

“Of course, they’re with me.”

“Hurry up, then.”

“Okay. Thanks for informing.”

I hung up the phone, hurriedly stood up from my seat and said “Hurry up, guys!”

“What happened?”

“No question, just hurry, I’ll tell you on the way.”

And told them the story on the way. When we arrived at the hospital, I hurriedly asked the nurse in the reception that where have they taken the people that were in an accident today and she answered “Floor -1, the room on the left at the end of the hallway.”

We hurriedly went down the stairs. I was really anxious and scared, because I’d never seen any patient being taken there.

When we reached down the stairs, we saw a police officer in front of the said room and we wanted to enter the room when he stopped us and told us to wait.

Elsa got angry and said “What do you mean by ‘wait’? We’re dying of anxiousness, let us go in.”

“Wait, I’ll explain.”

At that very moment, my gaze fell upon a paper that was stuck on the door which said “Morgue”. It was like the world came crashing down on me. Mahsa saw me pale faced, so she tried to silence the others and asked “Marjan, what’s wrong?” and when I didn’t answer, they fallowed my gaze and as they saw what was written there, they stiffened like me.

Suddenly, Saghar dragged our hands and said “Let’s go upstairs, that clumsy nurse wasn’t paying enough attention and told us to go down wrongly, there’s no ward in here, they take the patients to Emergency.”

But no one budged and the officer began to talk “I’m so sorry, but those patients you’re looking for are here. Unfortunately, the truck which hit the van on the highway had almost crushed it and I asked you to come here to identify the people in the van.”

“You mean they’re dead?”

“Unfortunately that’s right.”

“No, it can’t be, no, no…”

At that time we couldn’t control ourselves anymore and the fore of us fell on our knees and tears flowed down our eyes.

After fifteen minutes of crying nonstop, we finally decided to enter that room and make sure those are our families dead bodies.

Saghar and Mahsa couldn’t bear to see their families in that condition, although Elsa and I were also scared, at the end the two of us went in.

When they were opening one of the closets, there were just silent tears that rolled down our cheeks and as they opened the last one, the world came crashing down on me for the second time; Mahsa -my older sister and the only person who supported me in any way even when my parents didn’t have my back- was lying lifelessly in that damn closet.

Why?! She wasn’t supposed to be here, she wasn’t supposed to be in ceremony!

Then I suddenly remembered the previous night when she told me she had a surprise for me and it was then that I realized she wanted to attend that day’s ceremony. I couldn’t take it anymore and I ran out of there as fast as I could to the open space of hospital so I could breathe, ‘cause the air down there seemed like it was choking me.

After about five minutes, I saw the fellows walk out one after another and sat beside me. I still couldn’t believe that the fore of us had lost everything we had, our families.

For a moment, I closed my eyes and wished for all those to be a nightmare and for everything to be on its place when I open them, but when I opened my eyes, I came face to face with the most bitter truth of my life. That’s right, all of them were gone and I would never be able to feel the warmth of their presence.

With all the strength that was left in my body, I stood up and told the others that it’d be better if we left there; so we took a taxi and went to my house; ‘cause I couldn’t bear to be alone and I knew that although my friends weren’t always like this, they couldn’t spend that night alone either.

The next day, after the funeral, the fore of us went to our lawyer’s office and asked him to do the inheritance stuffs as soon as possible; ‘cause the night before, after discussing for a while, we decided to leave Iran, because we didn’t have any relatives to stay with and also staying in that city and studying in a university which entrance to it was accompanied by a tragic accident, was just a reminder of painful memories.

After the lawyer’s office, first we went to Mahsa’s house for her to pack her stuffs and then to Saghar and Elsa’s house that were near each other and in the end, it was about 8 p.m. when we all arrived at my house with the luggage and I quickly packed my things, ‘cause I didn’t need anything special and preferred not to take the things that would remind me of that accident with me.

Although we hadn’t eaten breakfast and lunch, but non of us had appetite; so I decided to make my own special food -scrambled eggs and fries- for the last time and while I was cooking, I remembered Mahsa(my sister) that she always teased me about the times when we were alone at home and I always made that food and with that, tears started flowing down my cheeks. *Ahhh! Where are you sis to pick on me again?!*

After dinner, we gathered to talk about where we were going to go and after five minutes –because our opinions were the same-, we made our decision which was going to the place where we always dreamt of and that place was no where but South Korea and the city of Seoul, so maybe we would be able to fade that accident in our minds by busying our minds with our dreams.

We also decided to donate our houses to charity instead of selling them for them to be a roof for the children who were deprived of having families -just like us- to stay under.

The day after, we all went to the charity and after doing the paper works, our lawyer called Elsa and told her that everything will be done the next morning and that we have to go there to sign some papers and then we would be able to leave there forever.

So, we went to the airport to book our tickets to Korea and fortunately, there was a flight to Seoul next day evening. So, we booked our tickets and went home to rest and also get ready for our journey which had no return.

The next morning, first we went to our lawyer’s office and after signing the papers, our lawyer decided to do the exchange and transfer the money to our accounts, because we already had international bank accounts.

After that, we visited our families’ graves and said our farewells for the last time and then went home and took our luggage and straightly went to the airport.

It was 5p.m. when we finally got on the plane and because we were really tired, immediately after we sat down, we fell asleep and slept all the way to Seoul.

It was almost morning when we reached there and from the airport, we went to a hotel to temporarily stay there until we found a house or apartment.

After resting for a while, in the evening, we went to Tehran Street which was located in Gangnam area.

As we were strolling down the walkway, I spotted an ad on a wall which was of an apartment for sale in that very area and we went there together.

It was a two-story building and had four units; seemed like it was exactly made for us. Luckily, the owner was an Iranian man and wasn’t too hard on us and we agreed to sign a contract that very night and move in the next day.

After everything was done, we finally went to our house. We were smart students, so that Iranian man who had a friend in KIU University helped us to be accepted in that university, although there was just two more days ‘til the beginning of the classes.

And just like that, fore years passed and this was the last year we were going to study in that university.

End of Flashback




 

Almost two weeks had passed since the start of the semester and the cold weather of autumn had taken the place of the warm weather of summer.

I didn’t feel good. I feel so alone in this time of the year. My family’s not here with me anymore to warm me up with their presence whenever I feel cold. It’s true that my friends are here, but no one can fill up the space that belongs to the family. Also, they have their own problems to struggle with.

Maybe a man in my life could give me reassurance, but guys in here only think about their own benefits. By the way, I also didn’t want to aimlessly fool around with someone. The reason why I’ve been single ‘til now is because I’ve always wanted to keep my everything for just one person, I wanted my first in everything to be with someone like myself, meaning for me to be his first and last and for him to be my first and last.

You may think how ridiculous it is, but I’ll wait for it to happen and I’ll finally find him.




 

Third Person P.O.V

It was 8a.m. when Marjan went out of the house and started walking towards the university with her friends. Today was Friday which meant no classes for two days and Saghar suggested that they hang out in the evening to have some fun and every one agreed.

Studying hours passed so quickly and soon it was the last period and after the end of their classes, the fore of them met each other at the front gate to go back home together. It was 3p.m. when they arrived home and they decided that they’d go out at 5p.m. after resting for a while.

It was 4p.m. when suddenly the doorbell rang and Marjan went to see who’s behind the door and when she opened it, she saw Mahsa and Mahsa told her “Marjan, right before I came, the TV weather forecast announced that there’d be a strong storm soon and it’d be better if we cancel today’s plans. It’s not that bad though; we can have a good rest after a long and tiring week. I’m going to give the news to Saghar and Elsa and you can peacefully go to sleep.”

“Oh, okay. Thanks sis for informing meJ”

“Of course, dear. Bye for nowJ”

Then she closed the door and went to lie on her bed.




 

Marjan P.O.V

Ahhhh…it’s better to take a nap now that we’re not going out.

.

.

.

It was about 8p.m. when I woke up to eat something. After eating the sandwich which Elsa had bought for lunch but was still in the refrigerator untouched, I went to my room and turned the TV on and the news at 8:30p.m. announced that the weather forecast for the few upcoming days would stay the same. Right then, the wind started to blow harder and its whistle coming from the window could easily be heard.

If the weather’s going to be like that, it means that I have to spend this weekend at home with my own loneliness. The sound of the wind and the coldness in the house was making me feel lonelier. I stood up and went to the window and stared at the night sky.

“God! I’m tired! Tired of this loneliness, this coldness! I want a soft and warm embrace to get rid of this damn feeling! God, I can’t take this anymore!”




 

Third Person P.O.V

And by speaking those words, tears flowed down her cheeks and with tearful eyes and a broken heart, she walked back to her bed and went to sleep. Unaware that some one out there had heard her.

“There’s no need to be sad anymore if that’s what you want.”




 

Marjan P.O.V

Hmmm…why the sudden warmness…what a good feeling…

Suddenly, I felt a pair of arms around my waist and quickly opened my eyes. I stayed in that position without any movement, I was frozen.

What the hell is this?! Is it some kind of a thief or murderer that’s come to my house and is in my bed right now?! Oh God, what am I saying?!

I tried to get out of whoever’s arms it was.

“You’re awake?”

Oh God! He’s awake! What to do now?!

With a swift move, I jumped out of the bed, took the lamp that was on the nightstand and turned to the one who was on my bed “Who are you?”

“Chen.”

“Huh?”

“Chen. My name’s Chen.”

“I’m asking who are you and what are you doing here?”

“You, yourself wanted me to come here.”

My heart was beating violently “What? I wanted? I don’t even know you, how come I asked you to come here?!”

He got off the bed. I fearfully said “Don’t move or I’ll hit you.”

“You can’t hit me. Now, let me explain it for you.”

“What do you mean I can’t hit you?”

“Because I’m in your imagination and you can’t do this.”

“What the hell! You were just hugging me, how could it be my imagination?!”

He stood up and approached me “You can try!”

“I said don’t come closer!” I told him and hold the lamp above my head and when I hit him, it just went through him “Holy !”

The lamp fell off my hand and I swiftly took my phone from the table, ran into the bathroom and locked the door.

“I told you so.”

I was trying to call the cops when he said “I told you I’m just in your imagination and no one else can see me, either. So, don’t waste your time calling the cops, 'cause they’d think you’ve gone crazy.”

Finally they answered and I instantly said “I beg you to help me! Someone’s in my room now!”

“Miss, please calm down and tell us your address.”

I hurriedly gave my address and waited right there.

After 5 minutes, the doorbell rang and I quietly opened the bathroom’s door saw that guy, who introduced himself as Chen, sitting on my bed, staring at me. He then said “Hurry up and open the door, the cops are waiting outside.”

I ran out with full speed, opened the door and told them he’s in my bedroom.

They moved towards my room as I trailed behind.

When they entered my room, I saw Chen holding his hands up in the air, but they seemed like they hadn’t seen him and walked right past him. They searched the whole room and then one of them pointed to the half-opened window and said “I think he’s already escaped. Lock your windows and we’ll monitor your house for a while. If anything happened, make sure to inform us.”

I wanted to tell them he’s standing right there, but when I saw Chen smiling, I decided against my will and thanked them.

Then I opened the door for them to leave and right then, I saw all of my friends standing there and Elsa asked “What happened, Marjan? What are the cops doing here?”

I told them it’s nothing special and that it seems like a thief has been in my house. Saghar insisted that I stay at her house, but I assured them that everything’s fine and the cops will be right there.

Then they went to their respected houses and I also got back in and closed the door and when I saw Chen standing before me, I jumped out of my skin but didn’t scream. “You scared me!”

“I already told you I’m just your imagination and nobody except you can see me.”

“Fine. Now, tell me how and where you have come from.”

“Okay, let’s just go to your room; the weather’s so cold.” and with that, he went to my room and laid down on the bed and patted the space next to him, motioning me to go and lay there. I hesitantly looked at him.

“Come on! It’s not like I’m gonna it you!”

With slow and hesitant steps, I went to my bed and slowly laid down facing him, then said “Okay, spill it now.”

He then pulled the blanket over both of us and hugged me tightly. I was frozen and as still as a statue and just looked at him, but after a few seconds, I felt his warmth and felt a special peace, the peace I’d lost long ago.

I didn’t feel lonely anymore; it seemed as if I’d finally found the person I’d been searching for and whom his place was right here, beside me.

Then he started talking “Well, as I said before, my name’s Chen.”

“Chen. It’s a strange name! Well, what’s your last name?”

“I don’t have a last name; just Chen.”

“What do you mean? How about your family?”

“I have no family, but the Coldness, that could be called my mother, has given me this name.”

“The Coldness?”

“Yeah, the one you said you hated by the window just a few hours ago. And she sent me to give you that warm embrace you wanted.”

“Huh?! It’s really hard to believe!”

“Right. But I’m here now, so you wouldn’t be alone anymore. Now you can go to sleep, Marjan.”

I wanted to ask him how come he knew my name and that no one here can pronounce my name correctly, but my eyelids were so heavy that I immediately fell asleep.




 

It was around 9a.m. when I woke up and the memories from last night came rushing to my mind, but when I looked beside me, I find the bed empty.

I really wished for those memories to be real, but it seemed like it was all just a dream.

I hopelessly got up, washed my hands and face and went out of the room.

Right then, I smelt the perfect scent of pancakes and ran to the kitchen with full speed.

I couldn’t believe my eyes. It wasn’t a dream. It was Chen who was cooking.

Right at that moment, he turned around and when he saw me looking at him with eyes widened and mouth agape, he smiled a warm smile and said “Come and sit. I’ve made you pancakes.”

With that, I came back to my senses and sat down at the table.

He put the plate in front of me and sat himself across from me and just stared at me.

“You’re not eating?”

“Nope.”

“Why? You’ll get weak if you don’t!”

“No. As I said, I’m the Son of Coldness and by hugging you, I take the coldness from you and that gives me strength.”

“Aha!” and I continued eating. After it was finished, Chen took the plate and washed it.

Then the doorbell rang and I went to open the door and saw the girls standing there.

Saghar said “Well, well! Someone’s so hyped up here! Anything new?!”

“Who? Me?”

“No, I was referring to myself! Seems like you haven’t seen yourself in the mirror.”

With that, I turned to look myself in the mirror next to the door and I was taken aback by the ear-to-ear smile on my face and immediately straightened myself; then turned and said “hehehe…actually, I had a good dream…”

Mahsa said “Oh…and you thought we’re some fools and would believe what you just said?!”

“Oh, no; God bless the fools…”

With that, Saghar and Elsa started to laugh and Mahsa was on the verge of exploding. “I see your tongue’s gotten longer, knock on wood!”

I was going to answer back when Elsa said “hmmm…I smell pancakes…Since when your majesty is treating yourself preparing breakfast?!”

“Actually, I was just in the mood and thought I’d just touch the kitchen utensils; it’s not good for them to remain useless.”

“Oh…so you’re worried about the utensils…Oh my, what a tender heart you’ve got…”

Saghar said “Fine, enough of the blabber. Marjan, we came after you to go downstairs to Mahsa’s to watch some movie, dance and have fun, and maybe practice singing; 'cause with this semester ending, in the beginning of spring, S.M. Entertainment is going to hold an audition. I thought maybe we could also take part; who knows, we could be accepted.”

“Eh…really?...uhhh…Can I skip for today?”

“Why? Anything wrong?”

“No, nothing’s wrong! I just wanted to be alone today, if it’s okay with you.”

“Fine, if you say so. Come down whenever you wanted to.”

“Okay. For now. Have fun.”

“You, too.”

After closing the door, I went to the living room and saw Chen sitting on the sofa, waiting for me. I went and sat next to him.

Suddenly, I remembered the previous night that I wanted to ask him about my name. So I said “By the way, how do you know my name? And how could you even pronounce it so casually?”

“I know a lot of things, but the pronunciation, I don’t know.”

“Anyway, you can call me Mary if it’s difficult for you; this is what others call me in here, except my 3 friends earlier.”

“But I prefer Marjan. It’s more beautiful.” he said and hugged me afterwards.

With those words and move, I felt those butterflies they say in my stomach and my heart finally felt warm after years. Unknowingly, tears started flowing down my eyes and dropped on Chen’s shirt.

Chen saw me cry and said “You should cry no more, 'cause I’m here beside you.” and then started humming the song I always listened to in high school, 'Baby Don’t Cry'.

His voice was really beautiful and calmed me.

After he finished the song, I told him “Wow…I didn’t know you’ve got such a beautiful voice…I bet if you were human, all the entertainment companies would have fought to have you with that voice of yours.”

“Really? Thanks, and I know you also have a nice voice. And we could’ve made a perfect band.”

“Thanks. You must’ve heard what my friends said, right?”

“Hmmm, and I’m sure you’ll be accepted.”

“I hope so.”

And we talked like that till night and got to know each other more.

.

.

.

Days passed by like that and we grew more accustomed to each other. Every day, I would happily come back home knowing that a warm embrace is awaiting me there. And my friends were also happy to see me in high spirits.

Autumn neared its end and soon came winter.

Although the weather was so cold, but my heart was so warm and after a long while, I started the Christmas and New Year with happiness from the depth of my heart  and beside the one whom you could now tell that I had fallen for.

I’ll never forget that day; my birthday, the 11th of January, in New Year’s vacation. That day, I got the best present of my birthday and felt the real love for the first time.

It was night; after I got back home from the party my friends had held for me, I saw Chen nervously standing in front of me and when I asked him what had happened, he told me to close my eyes so he could also give me my birthday present.

I was really excited, so I closed my eyes and after a few seconds, I felt warm lips on mine. Chen embraced me and after he lifted his head up, he said “I love you and my present to you is my heart. Happy birthday.”

It felt like the whole world was mine in that moment, and since I knew he’s already aware of my feelings, I hugged him tightly and tried to show him all my feelings that way.




 

Anyway, months passed like that and little by little, the winter was ending and the weather was becoming warmer.

Those days, Chen wasn’t feeling good at all and whenever I asked him what was wrong, every time he’d answer that it was nothing and that he’d be fine.

But that didn’t quite convince me and since I didn’t know what is problem was, I could only hope that he’d be fine as he said.




 

It was the last Friday of winter when I woke up and looked out of the window, the sun was in the sky and all the snow had already melted.

I turned to go find Chen and searched everywhere, but didn’t find him.

In the end, I hopelessly entered the living room when I suddenly saw him sitting on the sofa and when he noticed me, he tried to stand up from his seat but couldn’t.

I ran to him and wanted to take his hand, but didn’t succeed no matter how much I tried. I couldn’t touch him.

“Chen? Why did become like this? Why can’t I touch you?” I asked.

With his beautiful voice that could hardly come out now he said “Who am I?”

“That’s obvious, you’re Chen!” I said, wondering.

“No, I mean whose son am I?”

“Son of the Coldness?”

He then faintly smiled and said “Well, I think you already answered your own question.”

“What do you mean?” I said, tears flowing down my face.

Now I could see him gradually fading away. With an even calmer tone he said “I’m Son of the Coldness. And now, the weather’s got warm and I can’t stay here anymore. And you don’t need a warm embrace anymore, either.”

“But I’ll always need you. Please don’t leave me alone.”

“I’m sorry. But this isn’t in my hand. I hope we’ll meet again.”

“But I love you, Chen.”

“I love you too, Marjan.”

And then, he completely vanished and left me without saying goodbye.

I couldn’t hold myself anymore and fell to the ground and cried my heart out.

For the second time in my life, I lost the person I loved.

“I hate you, Coldness! I hate you, loneliness! I hate you, world! I hate you, life!”

.

.

.

A few days passed and it was the time for the company’s audition, but I didn’t go, 'cause I had no one to sing for. When my friends saw my condition, they also didn’t go because of me.




 

It’s already been a month since that event and I had locked up myself in the house and wouldn’t step foot out of it.

One day, as I was sitting on my bed, reviewing the moments I had spent with Chen, the doorbell rang.

I unwillingly stood up to open the door. There stood my 3 friends, the ones who had tried their best to make me feel better. I left the door open and went back to sit on the sofa.

They also came in and closed the door behind. Then the three of them sat across from me and Mahsa started talking before the others could.

“Marjan. Today, we’re going to the coffee shop we used to go together. You should also get out of this prison you’ve made for yourself and come with us.”

When I didn’t answer, Saghar continued “Yeah, you have to come. They say the staffs have changed and some young guys have started working there.”

Elsa also started from the other side “Yeah, they also say they’re much of a girl-killer. I really want to meet them.”

Mahsa said “Yup, I’ve seen them. Actually, there’s one of them who’s so tall and very handsome; just like myself.”

“Oh…really??? How 'bout the others? Are they handsome, too?” Saghar asked enthusiastically.

“Honestly, I didn’t pay attention! hehehe…”

Elsa said “Aishhh…she always thinks of herself…always having an eye on tall guys…”

“You’re just so…when did I do that?!...see, just for once that I’ve come to like someone, they just have to be there to disappoint you.”

With their bickering, a faint smile appeared on my lips.

“Okay now, enough bickering. We’ll go see for ourselves. Marjan, hurry up and get ready.” Saghar said.

“Couldn’t you just go without me? I’m not in the mood at all.”

Elsa said “Who said you’ve got to choose? Come on, hurry up and get ready. It’ll be crowded if we’re late.”

Anyway, they insisted and I refused, back and forth, till they won 3-1 and I had to go get ready.

It was around 5p.m. when we arrived there and fortunately, it wasn’t very crowded and we were of the first people to get there. We then went to seat on a quadrate table and waited for them to come take our orders.

Then a guy with average height came and asked “What would you like to have, ladies?”

I spotted Elsa staring at the guy. I kicked her under the table and motioned to give her order. After he went away, she said “Oh God!...You saw his cheeks? I just want to pinch them!”

With that, we started to laugh. Then another guy -whose face was just too pretty for a boy- brought our orders. He put only three of the drinks on the table; means everyone’s but mine and quickly went away.

This time, it was Saghar’s turn for to hang open.

I said “Saghar! If you keep your mouth open like that, a fly will go in.”

She immediately closed and glared at me “Seems like you’re good to talk now, huh?....He was really adorable; so what?!”

“This one was such a sweetie! He seemed even younger than you!” I said.

“Whatever, I can see the man hidden deep inside of him.hmmm…”

“Yuck…Get a hold of yourself…Look at how literary she talks!” said Elsa.

We were so busy talking that I completely forgot about my drink. Then I noticed Mahsa silently sitting in a corner, staring somewhere. Then she suddenly reddened and said “Hey guys…He’s coming here…”

We turned to see a tall guy walking towards our table, a tray in his hand. After getting there, he put the drink in front of me and said “Here’s your drink…Today, you’ll have the chance to stay here for a while after we close, to have our special service and meet the staffs.”

After he was gone, I saw Mahsa looking at me intently. She then said “Shoot you…Look how you stole the guy!”

“Oh come on…who liked ‘him’ anyway!”

“You wish!”

Right then, Saghar said “Mahsa! Mahsa! Look there! That dude’s staring at you!”

When Mahsa turned to look at him, he winked at her and she instantly turned into one tomato.

After having our drinks, we waited for all the customers to leave.

It was about 9p.m. when that guy who looked like girls came and said “okay ladies, this way, please.” and pointed to the booth.

Saghar said “See what a gentleman he is!” The guy heard that and smiled at Saghar.

Then we stood up to go to the booth and sat on the stools there while waiting.

Then those three guys from before came and introduced themselves.

The tall one who introduced himself as Kris went to sit on a stool across from Mahsa and asked “May I know your name?”

“Mahsa. But you can call me Hana, since it might be hard for you.” Mahsa answered shyly.

“Okay. You have an interesting name; what does it mean? My name’s also YiFan and the guys here call me Kris. Where’d you come from?”

“We all came from Iran, and my name means 'Moon-like'.”

“So beautiful!”

Mahsa turned even redder “Thanks!”




 

On the other hand, Saghar and that sweetie were talking to each other.

“I’m Luhan and you?”

“Saghar. You can call me Sara.”

“I think Sara would be easier.”

“Yeah; that’s why I said so. It must be hard for you to pronounce Saghar.”

And they also got busy talking to each other.




 

Elsa was chatting with the guy we met earlier who introduced himself as Xiumin.

“Actually, my real name’s Minseok.”

“I’m Elsa.”

After getting more into talking, suddenly Elsa said “Can I just pinch your cheeks?”

Xiumin was a little taken aback, but said nothing and just gave a smile.

Elsa leaned forward and pinched both of his cheeks.




 

I was also watching them and happy that they’ve finally found someone.

I was deep in thoughts, reviewing my memories with Chen when the sound of someone coughing brought me back to reality “Ahem…hi!”

I turned and was frozen in the spot when I saw the guy standing there and unconsciously said “Chen?”

“Actually, my name’s Jongdae, but the guys call me Chen. But how’d you know that?”

“Chen, don’t you remember me?”

“Ummm…sorry, but I just came to Korea recently. Should I know you?”

“I’m sorry, forget it.”

“Fine. No introducing?”

“Huh?!...oh, sorry. I’m Marjan, but you can call me Mary if it’s difficult for you.”

“Marjan!” he repeated my name o fluently. Then he smiled and said “I prefer Marjan. It’s more beautiful.”

With that, I remembered Chen.

We talked for almost half an hour and it was about 10p.m. when they wanted to close and we also stood up to go home.

We’d just walked a few steps from the coffee shop when Xiumin called us and said “You’re walking home?”

Elsa answered “Yes, why?”

“Well, it’s late and dangerous, you know.” said Luhan.

Saghar mumbled “I said he’s a gentleman. You just keep refusing!”

Kris said “We’re also walking and we could accompany you, if it’s okay with you.”

“Sure! It’s actually very good!” said Mahsa.

Chen also approached me and held out his hand and said “So, let’s go?”

I held his hand and got that feeling I missed so much again “Let’s go!”

And we started walking ahead of the others while they were just watching us in awe.

“Since when they’ve become so close?” the 6 of them said in unison and started laughing afterwards. Then the guys also took the girls’ hands and followed us.

When we reached our apartment, we thanked them for accompanying us and the guys answered by saying a welcome and that it was their duty.

Then we bid our goodbyes and I was the last one to get in, just to look at Chen for the last time when he suddenly turned and ran towards me.

Then he took a piece of paper out of his pocket and said “I think we both are willing to know each other more.”

Then he smiled and walked away to catch up with the others.

When I got inside my house, I changed and laid on my bed. Then I opened the folded paper and saw a number written on it and below it was written:

Kim Jongdae

a.k.a

Son of the Coldness